Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Llamadeus posted:

I don't think these are readily available yet, but Scythe also released a fan with Gentle Typhoon style blades: https://www.scytheus.com/wonder-snail-120

Their Kaze Flex fans are also solid. The 140mm versions of those are the ones you want for general case fans, provided your airflow pathways aren't obstructed. They're pretty close to Noctua's A14x25 but at about 60% of the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i've always been tempted to get a open case testbench
anyone's used one of them before?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

shrike82 posted:

I had a ThermalTake Core P3 for a long time before I went ITX.

If it's gonna be on your desk right next to you you're gonna feel the heat while gaming and stuff. At least they're easy to blow the dust off and clean.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

if you're going to go open air you might as well go sff while you're at it

here are some nice cases:

xtia xproto

motif monument

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I really want to go open air with the xproto, but since everything in the flat simply exists for the damned cat to rub against or knock over, it's a non-starter.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

OK baizuo posted:

Lol why don't I just downgrade all the way to a console while I'm at it.

I'm not spending more money just because a game was poorly ported.

RDR2 is the exact opposite of a bad port but ok

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

repiv posted:

pog

it took the best part of a year but at least i got it for MSRP

This is a very interesting/cool cpu heatsink setup you've got going...

What is going on there?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AppleNippleBOB posted:

This is a very interesting/cool cpu heatsink setup you've got going...

What is going on there?

It's the Noctua NH-D15: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D15-heatpipe-NF-A15-140mm/dp/B00L7UZMAK

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

OK baizuo posted:

Do not spend money on rdr2 unless it's for a console.

Why even play if you can't play it the way it's supposed to be

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Craptacular! posted:

:confused: WTF did I just watch? I had to take a couple of Haloperidol and lie down for a while. I haven’t laughed that hard at gaming glitches since Skyrim was throwing bits and bytes making the the Dragonborn ride his invisible horse while standing on his saddle.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

:pusheen:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

CoolCab posted:

all of the reviews were like oh my god they simulated every second of going through your pack how immersive so detailed oh my god and so forth. and in my head I was like I don't want a backpack simulator? everything they praised sounded like an ordeal. anyway like a year and a half after god I think it was polygon heaped praise on it a reviewer, lol anonymously, wrote a retrospective that was like, you know, it wasn't at all fun and I hated it.

This is exactly why I loved it and sank countless hours into it! Plus the soundtrack, and the graphics, and the world, and the characters

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I didn't like RDR2 as a game at all - I think it felt very slow and clunky compared to RDR1 and GTAV - but the PC version is a fantastic port and a great way to show off your fancy new hardware. The ingame world and all the little things in it is a marvel and a fantastic achievement for the game devs

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

DerekSmartymans posted:

:confused: WTF did I just watch? I had to take a couple of Haloperidol and lie down for a while. I haven’t laughed that hard at gaming glitches since Skyrim was throwing bits and bytes making the the Dragonborn ride his invisible horse while standing on his saddle.

An artist at work.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Wow the 3070 is probably the nicest looking card I've owned. It's also only a little bigger than my 1660ti, which is a surprise.

As soon as I installed it I realised that I don't need it for most of the games I'm playing these days...but it's still nice to have. RDR2 looks incredible, but I've already finished it and the multiplayer is pretty poor. Hopefully some new stuff comes out soon to show it off.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I didn't like RDR2 as a game at all - I think it felt very slow and clunky compared to RDR1 and GTAV - but the PC version is a fantastic port and a great way to show off your fancy new hardware. The ingame world and all the little things in it is a marvel and a fantastic achievement for the game devs

It's slower than RDR1 and GTAV but it's not a simulation. I could see what they were doing - the very deliberate 'show the full animation' is all about never ever breaking immersion so that you get more invested in the characters and the story being told. I think it's a success at what it sets out to do (I was certainly invested in the story in a way I'm not usually with video games) but I can see why people with less time to play video games would not be happy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

It's slower than RDR1 and GTAV but it's not a simulation. I could see what they were doing - the very deliberate 'show the full animation' is all about never ever breaking immersion so that you get more invested in the characters and the story being told.

I tried playing Anthem for all of an hour just to get a sense of how infamously bad it was, and I found the opposite of what you're describing - when you press the interact button for the robot mech to harvest some plant or whatever it just waves its hands and the plant explodes in a shower of light with no relevance to the actual action being done. I found it very jarring and unpleasant.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'll say the sound and music implementation is also masterful. There are several missions where the whole gang rides out to do [thing] and there's a 2-3 minute space where all you are doing is riding on horses from the camp to the mission area, but it isn't dead time at all, the score is swelling and the characters are exchanging tense dialogue and the whole thing is psyching you up for what is about to happen in a way that you just don't get in GTA.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Haha wait are y'all suggesting the extremely popular video game is....good?

Lol @ thinking millions of people are unironically playing a literal cowperson simulation because your inventory management is animated

I haven't played SP but you literally don't even need to eat or cook either in MP, and you can order bullets from a catalogue in the woods that instantly appear in your tent.

It's an immersive game in many ways though and if you were looking to shave 2.2 seconds off of your fox hunt grind so you could min/max your fur or some poo poo it's not the game for you. But congrats there's an entire field of games where you can kill boars forever

Worf fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 10, 2021

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

BurritoJustice posted:

There are "CO" (continuous operation) variants of the P12/P14 that have dual ball bearings instead of fluid dynamic. Apparently they don't have the resonant hum around 1000rpm, which means they are basically identical to the A12x25 in performance.

You can also get gentle typhoons which are were the design basis for the A12x25 and just have a barely different bearing noise. I'd just get the P12 CO though.

I'd be careful bulk recommending Noctua because some of their older or redux fans are pretty bad for the price.

I wouldn't recommend all noctua fans. It is the a12x25 and only the a12x25 that stands above other fans. They have been developing a 140mm version and a black version for the last 3 years because lol noctua. I assume they'll be out mid 2030s.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Wow... I don't know what to say about that. Other than, it's beautiful.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

After putting my old 1060 into Mrs Boat's computer we've got a 2GB 960 left over. A friend of ours has a 660Ti in his PC (he mostly plays indie games / stuff that could run on anything like Rocket League or Blood Bowl 2) which I assumed would mean the 960 would be a huge step up, but looking at the numbers the two are quite a bit closer than I'd thought. I'm happy to part with it for a beer so I'm assuming it'd still be worth the upgrade for him?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Party Boat posted:

After putting my old 1060 into Mrs Boat's computer we've got a 2GB 960 left over. A friend of ours has a 660Ti in his PC (he mostly plays indie games / stuff that could run on anything like Rocket League or Blood Bowl 2) which I assumed would mean the 960 would be a huge step up, but looking at the numbers the two are quite a bit closer than I'd thought. I'm happy to part with it for a beer so I'm assuming it'd still be worth the upgrade for him?

NVidia moved anything older than the 900-series into a legacy support model, and the 960 has better DirectX 12 compatibility, so he'd be better off with the 960 no matter what.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Excellent, thanks. Did myself out of about £100 on resale because the market is still stupid but I couldn't scalp a bro like that

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
is my perception accurate that the generational improvements on the 60 line seem to be pretty blunted?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

shrike82 posted:

paging GM to the GPU thread, GRINDCORE MEGGIDO to the GPU thread...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CoolCab posted:

is my perception accurate that the generational improvements on the 60 line seem to be pretty blunted?

looking at GN's review, a 3060 [non-Ti] is about 15% faster than a 2060 [non-Ti] at 1080p, and it becomes more marginal at higher resolutions

based on MSRP, a 3060 is supposed to be 5% cheaper than a 2060 (349 vs 329 USD)

however, the average selling price of a 3060 (using Hardware Unboxed's research) as of June 2021 was 830 USD, versus a used 2060 going for 550 USD, a whopping 40% gap

I would answer a "yes" to your question

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

CoolCab posted:

the bottom end of the stack is hit hardest by various price increases. VRAM price/quantity increases, assembly/testing/packaging/shipping are a fixed cost, they all cost more or less the same whether you're doing it for a $100 card or a $1000 card. And this was already a trend even before 2020/2021 hellworld bullshit but all of those things hit low-end cards harder than high-end cards.

and this probably is not going to change going forward - you can expect low-end to continue to provide poor perf/$ increases, and for the threshold where performance gains still happen to creep up over time. There is still progress being made in the $400+ segment - a lot more progress than is being made in the $200 or $250 segment - and basically we are headed for a stratification where the high end keeps getting higher and the low end makes relatively poor gains and is eventually eaten by the console market / APUs. Because the low end is hit hard by those factors, and the real economical route forward is to have a console APU with a single set of VRAM, a single cooler, etc.

This will not even change with chiplet dGPUs - those are only going to get used at the high end for a while, it's not going to be cheaper to add an interposer and an additional packaging step to meld together two tiny little GPUs, it's better to just use one medium sized one. So chiplet GPUs are in fact only going to catapult the stratification forward even faster - the top will be even higher (and even more expensive - AMD and NVIDIA are not going to give you two pieces of silicon for the price of one) and the low end will continue its slow grind forwards.

and on top of the stagnation from those fixed costs, the tariffs have eaten up a ton of the gains that would otherwise have been made this generation. The low-end segment was advancing slow enough already but then you have a 25% price increase rolled into pricing compared to yesteryear.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 11, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't count on APUs, specifically, eating the lower-end market. Consoles yes, but APUs:

* aren't comparable to even a "low-end" card. The difference between a 3400G or even the new 5600G versus a 1060 or 1050 is still pretty drat wide, and I don't think DDR5 is going to change that much. You can literally play a game on it, yes, but anyone who was looking for a card isn't going to want to settle for 720p Low at 30 Hz

* are going to have retail issues themselves because they're competing with the OEM/office-PC space. AMD never sold the Zen 2 APUs to the DIY market, and the quad-core Zen 3 APU still isn't getting sold to the retail market even when the 6- and 8- models are

* they're not that great value on the CPU side, because once you finally do get a card, then your CPU isn't nearly as strong as a dedicated SKU. And this is compounded, again, by AMD holding out on the 100-150 USD range for their 5000-series APUs, and also Intel not making a Rocket Lake quad-core

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wouldn't count on APUs, specifically, eating the lower-end market. Consoles yes, but APUs:

* aren't comparable to even a "low-end" card. The difference between a 3400G or even the new 5600G versus a 1060 or 1050 is still pretty drat wide, and I don't think DDR5 is going to change that much. You can literally play a game on it, yes, but anyone who was looking for a card isn't going to want to settle for 720p Low at 30 Hz

* are going to have retail issues themselves because they're competing with the OEM/office-PC space. AMD never sold the Zen 2 APUs to the DIY market, and the quad-core Zen 3 APU still isn't getting sold to the retail market even when the 6- and 8- models are

* they're not that great value on the CPU side, because once you finally do get a card, then your CPU isn't nearly as strong as a dedicated SKU. And this is compounded, again, by AMD holding out on the 100-150 USD range for their 5000-series APUs, and also Intel not making a Rocket Lake quad-core

Counterpoint, look at Apple's M1 APU, kicking all sorts of asses vs even dedicated CPUs

https://www.makeuseof.com/apple-m1-chip-explained/

Valve is certainly not Apple's silicon team, but I wonder how much of the M1 tech will "trickle down" to regular APUs, I'm sure someone is working to reverse engineer it

So not anytime soon, but I wouldn't count them out

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Thing is there’s no incentive for anyone to develop a good iGPU, especially with Intel moving into the GPU space themselves and AMD already there. No-one’s going to undercut their own business with an iGPU comparable to their own cards. Apple do it because the iGPU is their only option outside the Mac Pro.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

EimiYoshikawa posted:

An artist at work.
:agreed:

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

So when can I buy a 4080?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh a heads up for those who just got RTX cards, you probably still need to manually flash the VBIOS update for reBAR support

my brand new 3070 FE didn't have the update from the factory

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/10/22618030/nvidia-rtx-a2000-gpu-workstation-specs-features-price

The bastards did it, an RTX card that draws power off of the slot only (70 watts). I know it's a workstation card but I guess that's promising for down the line

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

gradenko_2000 posted:

consoles are an APU, they're just an APU with GDDR. Hypothetically there's no reason you couldn't have a Steam Box using a GDDR-based APU, or a console that allows you to run office applications, etc.

that is kinda what AMD is already doing with the 4700S - the problem is just that it's crippled by the (apparent) requirement that they disable the iGPU entirely, at which point why bother. And iirc there was also the A9-9820 last generation that was exactly that as well, but it only showed up at the very tail end of the generation, and was still heavily cut-down.

I agree that regular DDR doesn't have the bandwidth to compete though. But the XBSX and XBSS and PS5 show that it is possible to make an APU-based system at a very low cost. MS/Sony likely aren't losing much money if any at MSRP. When you integrate the memory, cooling, etc, reduce the number of separate components that have to be tested, shipped around, etc, and order it in massive quantities (millions) you can bring the total system cost way down.

Again, to bring up the Steam Deck example, it's literally just a matter of someone with sufficiently deep pockets deciding to offer an open platform. You could easily take PS5 or XBSX tier hardware, mark it up 20% to give yourself a profit margin, and then just decimate the low-end and midrange market. The random Chinese OEMs don't have enough clout to get a custom SKU and sell millions of them, but if you did you could easily approach XBSX/PS5 pricing - obviously MS/Sony can do it themselves, and they aren't subsidizing much if any. Yeah, it wouldn't have console-level tuning and optimization but it's 2070S tier hardware and would still smash everything in the 2060 / 5600XT bracket at a significantly lower price than you could build an equivalent system - probably half the price or less.

Maybe the Apple lawsuits will eventually result in consoles being broken open for sideloading as well - although of course Microsoft and Sony argue that while Apple should be forced to open up to them, their situation is different and they should be allowed to keep a closed ecosystem. Cause again, a console that lets you install windows or linux or at least sideload UWP applications (like the developer thing MS allows on XBSX) is pretty much the ideal low-cost gaming PC. That's what they were designed to be, even.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 10, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

change my name posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/10/22618030/nvidia-rtx-a2000-gpu-workstation-specs-features-price

The bastards did it, an RTX card that draws power off of the slot only (70 watts). I know it's a workstation card but I guess that's promising for down the line

new Plex server card just dropped

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 10, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

change my name posted:

With that core/ram config, thats GA-106 for sure (aka 3060), so they had to shave 100w off of total board power from the gamer version. Cutting half the ram off probably helped, with the rest coming off the boost clocks. $450 is too rich for my HTPC, but thats a cool part.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

With that core/ram config, thats GA-106 for sure (aka 3060), so they had to shave 100w off of total board power from the gamer version. Cutting half the ram off probably helped, with the rest coming off the boost clocks. $450 is too rich for my HTPC, but thats a cool part.

the thing with a HTPC card is gonna be that it's all (mini-)DisplayPorts... no HDMI.

You could use DP++ (can DP 1.4 drive HDMI 2.0?) or an active converter but you probably wouldn't get HDMI 2.1 out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i have til end of day (pacific time) to decide if i want this 3080ti step up

anyone want to buy for cost?

edit: dibbed

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 11, 2021