Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's also a tool thread where you might get some more tool expertise as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Could be a ‘defect’ tool that didn’t pass QC that someone bought up en mass and is reselling on Amazon, as if they give a poo poo about the products you buy. I would return it and pick up something local, even ordering on Home Depot/Lowe’s website for in-store pickup.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

freeasinbeer posted:

Re multimeter; anyone have a particular recommendation, I swore I used to have one, but even if I did it’s back in my NYC apartment that I haven’t been back to in 45 days, and won’t likely be visiting soon.

Having spent 10 years working with all manner of multimeters from the Fluke ones from the 1980s to the analog Simpson 260s to the Keysight benchtops to the top of the line Flukes from today I was tempted to make a dumb post about all of them but in reality a $50 one will be just fine for the poking around at home stuff

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Crossposting from the fix it fast thread-

Are LG appliances still having issues with being impossible to repair? Or is that just refrigerators? Buying a new range and am on the fence between LG and Frigidaire.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

6 of my 7 sprinkler zones are working. Time to call my guy for another round of ‘time and not messing with easy electrical work are more valuable than money’

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

FogHelmut posted:

Are LG appliances still having issues with being impossible to repair? Or is that just refrigerators? Buying a new range and am on the fence between LG and Frigidaire.

I mean, Frigidaire has been around in those specific appliance markets almost literally for as long as those appliances have been around (there is an ancient Frigidaire refrigerator in the break room at work that still works, as in "literally an antique refrigerator that somehow still works"). I don't know how good the current appliances are but if LG is still notorious for being impossible to repair I'd take another look at GE/Frigidaire/etc. again.

Are you looking for Electric or Gas? Because apparently that matters when looking at brands, too.

EDIT: Pic of the fridge in the breakroom for reference. You probably wouldn't get much money for it trying to sell it, but people keep their lunches in it and it works. The "made only by General Motors" may not be true any longer, though.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 10, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

when I bought my house it had an AC delco Furnace in it. It went away before we even moved in.. thing was probably worth a decent amount in scrap and it took up about 50% more space than my current one does.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I mean, Frigidaire has been around in those specific appliance markets almost literally for as long as those appliances have been around (there is an ancient Frigidaire refrigerator in the break room at work that still works, as in "literally an antique refrigerator that somehow still works"). I don't know how good the current appliances are but if LG is still notorious for being impossible to repair I'd take another look at GE/Frigidaire/etc. again.

Are you looking for Electric or Gas? Because apparently that matters when looking at brands, too.

EDIT: Pic of the fridge in the breakroom for reference. You probably wouldn't get much money for it trying to sell it, but people keep their lunches in it and it works. The "made only by General Motors" may not be true any longer, though.

Conventional wisdom goes that LG (and especially Samsung) won't stand behind their products and parts are impossible to get and repairmen won't touch them. At least for refrigerators anyway.

But I'm looking at gas ranges. I currently have a 2004 KitchenAid, which has been repaired 5 times in the last 5 years. I've been keeping up my home warranty, and they keep throwing parts at it, but I'm tired of it, and the design makes it very difficult to keep clean.

The Frigidaire and LG have roughly the same specs at the same price. Then LG might be a little nicer in my opinion, but nothing that's a deal breaker.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

6 of my 7 sprinkler zones are working. Time to call my guy for another round of ‘time and not messing with easy electrical work are more valuable than money’

In my experience I’ve found spending money on sprinkler issues to be the best money spent. Parts are cheap, the problems are usually quick to fix, and I don’t have to spend hours on YouTube figuring out what could be broken.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ScooterMcTiny posted:

In my experience I’ve found spending money on sprinkler issues to be the best money spent. Parts are cheap, the problems are usually quick to fix, and I don’t have to spend hours on YouTube figuring out what could be broken.

Fire suppression sprinklers or lawn sprinklers?

FogHelmut posted:

Conventional wisdom goes that LG (and especially Samsung) won't stand behind their products and parts are impossible to get and repairmen won't touch them. At least for refrigerators anyway.

But I'm looking at gas ranges. I currently have a 2004 KitchenAid, which has been repaired 5 times in the last 5 years. I've been keeping up my home warranty, and they keep throwing parts at it, but I'm tired of it, and the design makes it very difficult to keep clean.

The Frigidaire and LG have roughly the same specs at the same price. Then LG might be a little nicer in my opinion, but nothing that's a deal breaker.

I'm going on a limb and say that the Frigidaire will not have the spare parts/repair problems an LG will.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FogHelmut posted:

I'd go Frigidaire. I own LG and Samsung appliances, but don't recommend them.

My 3,000 dollar LG fridge lasted 2 years before it needed repair. Luckily I caught it early, and the repair guy replaced a defective filter drier, before the compressor blew up. It's under warranty for a while, and there's all sorts of lawsuits. The filter drier clogs up, causes the compressor to work way harder and hotter than it should, and the entire compressor system burns out. The repair tech LG sent out said he stays very busy repairing LG and Samsung refrigerators.

I've personally had good luck with Frigidaire appliances. We had a front load washer/dryer that we used heavily for 8 1/2 years with zero problems. We probably did 4,000 loads of laundry through those things. Several family members have full Frigidaire kitchens, no one has had any issues. I've also had good luck with Whirlpool kitchen appliances.

The key I think is to buy appliances with the least amount of bells/whistles to reduce the amount of things that can break.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My 18-month old Whirlpool has had 4 technicians try to fix a design flaw with my ice maker in the last 6 months. All appliances are terrible.

At least I get a new fridge when it breaks again in 4 months.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I just like buy whatever looks okay.. Currently I think I have soem GE appliances, fridge and stove.. but I dont really look for them to last.. I buy cheap stuff. Same with washer/dryer... My SIL has a fancy rear end frontload whatever and they keep dying on her, my generic 3 button ones have survived 2 moves and when they die.. meh I'll flip another $400 at a new one.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Our house came with a basic white ~20 year old Frigidaire and it's been happily chugging along keeping our food cold without issue for the three years we've been here. After our kitchen remodel it'll retire to the basement where it will keep beer and event overflow foodstuffs cold.

I'd also choose Frigidaire, not only because the one I have works, but also because of better ability to get parts and repairs. Also the basic grade ones have way fewer bells and whistles points of failure.

Edit: oh wait OP was talking about ranges. I'd still probably take the Frigidaire because from everything I've read about LG appliances, they are not good to own if something goes wrong.

Queen Victorian fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 10, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have a 16 year old Whirlpool fridge that has a compressor knock that comes and goes with the weather. The only problem with it is that it's so old that the water filters are not common anymore and cost $50.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Queen Victorian posted:

Our house came with a basic white ~20 year old Frigidaire and it's been happily chugging along keeping our food cold without issue for the three years we've been here. After our kitchen remodel it'll retire to the basement where it will keep beer and event overflow foodstuffs cold.

I'd also choose Frigidaire, not only because the one I have works, but also because of better ability to get parts and repairs. Also the basic grade ones have way fewer bells and whistles points of failure.

I don't know gently caress all about appliances but I suspect there's a hell of a bathtub curve with their survivability. I've known a lot of 10-20 year fridges that just keep on chugging with maybe a hosed ice maker or some other broken "extra" that doesn't keep it from cooling food. Anecdotally it feels like every time I've either experienced or known of (via friends, family, etc) a dead fridge it's been either fairly new and pissed everyone off or so old that it got a fond farewell.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't know gently caress all about appliances but I suspect there's a hell of a bathtub curve with their survivability. I've known a lot of 10-20 year fridges that just keep on chugging with maybe a hosed ice maker or some other broken "extra" that doesn't keep it from cooling food. Anecdotally it feels like every time I've either experienced or known of (via friends, family, etc) a dead fridge it's been either fairly new and pissed everyone off or so old that it got a fond farewell.

Plot twist: my fridge has no ice maker, which means that the ice maker can't break. :smug:

I attribute its success and longevity to being so dumb and simple that there's just not much of anything on it other than the compressor itself to break. Gaskets could probably use preemptive replacement in a year or so I guess.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

FogHelmut posted:

I have a 16 year old Whirlpool fridge that has a compressor knock that comes and goes with the weather. The only problem with it is that it's so old that the water filters are not common anymore and cost $50.

Others can keep me honest but unfortunately it seems $40-50 is not unusual for those filters, even if it's newer. There are numerous straight-from-China Amazon external seller brands that are cheaper, but personally I spent more and went with my fridge brand (GE).

All I have to do is make sure I use it every day or so or it will freeze up inside the door :v:

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My experience is icemakers break constantly and I've decided my current house doesn't need one or water service in the fridge and it actually doesn't bother me.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Inner Light posted:

Others can keep me honest but unfortunately it seems $40-50 is not unusual for those filters, even if it's newer. There are numerous straight-from-China Amazon external seller brands that are cheaper, but personally I spent more and went with my fridge brand (GE).

All I have to do is make sure I use it every day or so or it will freeze up inside the door :v:

Home Depot has an in house filter brand, it used to be 3 for $50 before they stopped selling that model filter.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My sister moved into a house a few years ago with all brand new top of the line LG appliances and she had issues with them from the start and the issues never stopped. They expanded kitchen this year and decided to just replace their 5 year old appliances because they were so awful. When my wife and I finally decide to redo our kitchen, I think we'll likely go GE/Frigidaire/Whirlpool as my folks have always had good luck with them given their appliances are ... 20 years old and still work perfectly.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Granted it's only been a couple months but I'm quite happy with my GE French Door fridge. I think it happens to avoid a lot of the pitfalls around ice & water that cause other systems to fail. The cold water dispenser is inside the fridge, and the line never touches the freezer, so it won't freeze. The ice maker is as simple as icemakers can be, just makes the ice and dumps it into a bin, so worst case I could just replace that whole unit. There's no fancy augers or ice dispenser inside the fridge space or crushers or anything like that. Just a hose for filtered cool water and a bucket for ice.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

My place came with GE profile gas range/microwave/french door fridge. I’ve only been using them for 4 months but they’re fantastic.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
If a 20 ft tall Aspen tree fell from my neighbors yard and landed in mine in a wind storm am I jerk for asking them to clean it up

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

hobbez posted:

If a 20 ft tall Aspen tree fell from my neighbors yard and landed in mine in a wind storm am I jerk for asking them to clean it up

Short answer is yes. I mean, not 100% a jerk because it's a common misconception, but still an uncomfortably high percentage of jerk.

In most places, a perfectly healthy tree that falls is the responsibility of the person whose property it lands on. If it had hit your car/house/whatever, you'd be calling your own insurance.

If it were dead/diseased/obviously a hazard, then that's another story.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 10, 2021

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hobbez posted:

If that was a healthy tree it's probably your responsibility. But that also means it's your wood.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
jesus

Contractor has a crew out doing trim/finish work on my porch. Today they're doing the ceiling tongue and groove planks.

lmfao they used a miter saw to cut the holes for the can lights. Like, the holes were between boards, so they just marked the circle and just made cut after tiny cut up to the line using the miter saw. Parallel cuts, mind you, not like a big X or something that takes a bunch of material all at once. And they held the board perpendicular to the table, too...

Didn't get a close look yet, but from a distance it looks like someone chewed the hole out... gonna have to keep an eye on this and make sure the trim covers that.

gotta give them credit for creative problem solving, though. I mean, I'm no carpenter, but this is certainly a... unique method.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inner Light posted:

These filters are often filled with coir or other substandard media.....if anything at all.

These are also the ones that get used for counterfeit "genuine" filters that amazon's binning system still hasn't worked out......all fulfilled by amazon things of the same SKU/UPC go in the same bin. Those could be filters directly from LG, or from some random chinese seller. When you buy from LG fulfilled by amazon there is no guarantee you get a filter that was supplied to amazon from LG.

I buy mine directly from the manufacturer.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

on the realm of contractors I just sent my contractor for my patio my final.. Get hosed, return my money message. I keep on hoping that he'll actually show up this time after talking ot him.. He's got his demand letters that were sent at this point (first step in small claims court). Would have rather had a patio but Guess I'm waiting for the other guy I had come out and quote me $300 less to get it done in April of next year. Would have rather had a patio this spring/summer/fall because I have a hole where the PO's rotting due to ground contact deck went.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Motronic posted:

These filters are often filled with coir or other substandard media.....if anything at all.

These are also the ones that get used for counterfeit "genuine" filters that amazon's binning system still hasn't worked out......all fulfilled by amazon things of the same SKU/UPC go in the same bin. Those could be filters directly from LG, or from some random chinese seller. When you buy from LG fulfilled by amazon there is no guarantee you get a filter that was supplied to amazon from LG.

I buy mine directly from the manufacturer.

I buy my Samsung fridge filters from the local Lowe's still specifically for this reason. $50 a pop, but better than getting some counterfeit that Amazon binned with the real deal.

That said they used to be in nice cardboard boxes, now they're in some godawful blister pack... sliced my hand up opening the last one. You'd think that for continuing to show loyalty and buying OEM filters they'd use packaging that didn't result in blood loss.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

DaveSauce posted:

Short answer is yes. I mean, not 100% a jerk because it's a common misconception, but still an uncomfortably high percentage of jerk.

In most places, a perfectly healthy tree that falls is the responsibility of the person whose property it lands on. If it had hit your car/house/whatever, you'd be calling your own insurance.

If it were dead/diseased/obviously a hazard, then that's another story.

K thx guys

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

What was the general thread recommended lightbulb website?

I need some dimmable e12s in cool color temps and I’d rather not buy garbage. They’re in a chandelier and hooked up to lutron casetas.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

DaveSauce posted:

jesus

Contractor has a crew out doing trim/finish work on my porch. Today they're doing the ceiling tongue and groove planks.

lmfao they used a miter saw to cut the holes for the can lights. Like, the holes were between boards, so they just marked the circle and just made cut after tiny cut up to the line using the miter saw. Parallel cuts, mind you, not like a big X or something that takes a bunch of material all at once. And they held the board perpendicular to the table, too...

Didn't get a close look yet, but from a distance it looks like someone chewed the hole out... gonna have to keep an eye on this and make sure the trim covers that.

gotta give them credit for creative problem solving, though. I mean, I'm no carpenter, but this is certainly a... unique method.

Follow-up with the carnage:

I'd be mad if I didn't know they'd be hidden eventually... but drat that's some, uh, impressive work. I mean, I guess I probably couldn't do much better if all I had was a miter saw.

Not sure what the hell they used on the fan box, though...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

Not sure what the hell they used on the fan box, though...

Looking at the blown-out wood and irregular cut lines, seems like a sawzall or something similar.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

Follow-up with the carnage:

theyre killin my inner hank over here

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

What was the general thread recommended lightbulb website?

I need some dimmable e12s in cool color temps and I’d rather not buy garbage. They’re in a chandelier and hooked up to lutron casetas.

I've had good luck with 1000bulbs. I got some nice LED GU10(?) for an odd kitchen fixture, as well as some LED filament-looking A19 bulbs for outdoor fixtures to replace some halogen and incandescents from our builder. You can filter by color temps and CRI if you're really picky.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Home Depot has an in house filter brand, it used to be 3 for $50 before they stopped selling that model filter.

If it's the GE filter I'm thinking of, they sucked for me. The water flow was horrible and made the water taste worse than the regular tap water. If they've changed, cool. But years ago it was asssssss.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Any light fixture or fan you put there will 100% cover up those rough edges.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I mean, a 4 & 3/8" hole saw is only about $40 and that's the retail cost, I'm sure a contractor can get better prices through one of their suppliers.

EDIT: Finding one that's of the actual diameter you want may adjust the price +/- $5 but that's the general cost for a cheap hole saw and I can guarantee you it would get the job done faster than whatever they did.

Not that what they did was wrong since the fixture will cover it, but yeah there are tools for that (as long as you also have a good drill to run it and can handle the jolting that will happen as the bit breaks through the ceiling materials).

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Lazy people aren’t going to carry around more than their base tools and they sure as poo poo aren’t going to leave the job to buy that bit unless they figure out how to gain money or time from it.