Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And my favorite part is Tony can't even pretend to care about the entire situation beyond his rote "In this house Columbus was a hero!" early in the episode to AJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Professor Shark posted:

Youtube suggests a bunch of Sopranos scenes for me and today I rewatched the one where Ralphie tries to blackmail the Native American protest leader with Iron Eyes Cody not actually being Native American (which he somehow is not aware of and gets stressed out over) when he is obviously sleeping with his assistant lol

This show was very funny when it wanted to be, sort of like how Madmen had unexpected hilarious moments.

"This is my TA"

Ralphie: "Yes she is. Yes. She. Is."

:lol:

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I always found Albert Barese to be an intriguing character. The other mobsters write him off as an idiot, because he repeats whats said to him, but I thought that sort of belied a cunning in his thinking. He steadfastly turns down Richie's overture to turn on Tony, and later on recognizes how dangerous it is to be a capo if your boss is just whacking fellow capos on a whim.

Of course, much like many other plot threads, it doesn't really go anywhere, which is part of the realism of the show. And if the actor playing him was a homophobic rear end in a top hat, well, gently caress him. That would explain why Larry Barese reappears in the 6th season.

Also, getting into season 6 on my rewatch. One of the funniest moments of the entire season is Paulie seeing Tony for the first time "OOF, MADON' HE LOOKS TERRIBLE" and almost killing Tony by being so annoying. Incredible.

Also, maybe the most moving part of the whole series was seeing lonely Kevin Finnerty sitting on that hotel bed, while that sad Moby song plays and he stares at the beacon. God drat.

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 5, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I feel like the Kevin Finnerty scenes probably improve the most of any in the whole show on rewatch, at least if you watched the show back when it first aired. At the time everyone was like goddamnit just wake up already so we can get back to whackings, but taking a more objective second look at those scenes, they're top tier. And of course the main reason for that is because Gandolfini is a powerhouse actor.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like the Kevin Finnerty scenes probably improve the most of any in the whole show on rewatch, at least if you watched the show back when it first aired. At the time everyone was like goddamnit just wake up already so we can get back to whackings, but taking a more objective second look at those scenes, they're top tier. And of course the main reason for that is because Gandolfini is a powerhouse actor.

Agreed. And when he'd talk you'd be like 'hey doesn't even SOUND right!' because he'd dropped the nasal New Jersey accent.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Mike N Eich posted:

Also, maybe the most moving part of the whole series was seeing lonely Kevin Finnerty sitting on that hotel bed, while that sad Moby song plays and he stares at the beacon. God drat.

I'm loving obsessed with that scene. Some of my favorite dreams have things like that beacon in them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jerusalem posted:

Redclay treating the blackmail attempt with the complete disdain and even bemusement that it deserved, watching Ralphie leave and then suddenly freaking the gently caress out that "oh my God we'll never survive this scandal! :derp:" was so great :allears:

Similarly, I like when they try to shake down Jamba Juice or whatever it was with the old school style "nice place ya' got here. Be a shame if something were to happen to it" and the kid behind the counter is just like "well, yeah, whatever. OK. Can I help you?" and you can see the extortion tactics the old guys grew up with die in real time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gsz7Gu6agA

Also, the Kevin Finnerty stuff was great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gandolfini also changes up his body language completely when he's Finnerty. He moves different, holds himself different, it's really quite remarkable. That lovely little fight he gets into is amazing because we've been used to seeing him as this big untrained bear of a man who is used to using his fists and bulk to dominate people, and in that fight it's obvious that Finnerty probably hasn't been in a fight since High School, if at all.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Paulie reckoning 5000 years in purgatory is no big deal randomly came to me today, had a little lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The utter confidence with which he trots out the "formula" for how it all works is really something else. Like this is just stuff that's known, proven, and accepted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObglF8WUsWM

"Hell is hot. That's never been disputed by anybody!"

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 6, 2021

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The obvious allusion to Dante Aligheri. Lol

Yeah, I think the one where Parisi goes in to the store and goes "hey accidents happen" and the kid totally gets it and just says that corporate won't care, they'll just replace him. One of the best divergences from typical Mob stories. The end when they're out on the street and and he sadly proclaims "It's over for the little guy" had me in stunned silence for a moment before laughing my rear end off.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

BiggerBoat posted:

Or WAS a person anyways.

The part of that episode that always gets me is Chris picking up Ralph's head by the toupee. Also "I did..ent".

Imperiolli is so good at playing being high and never over sells it.

you were so high on skag you wouldn'ta known if he'd had your mudda's muff on his head

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i'm going to be gutted if Jimmy Smash isn't in the film :dogcited:

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

It doesn't matter how many times I watch it, I never fail to laugh at Carmines "....whatever happened there" moment

God drat what a great character

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I wonder how differently things might've gone if he just hadn't said that

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

It doesn't matter how many times I watch it, I never fail to laugh at Carmines "....whatever happened there" moment

God drat what a great character

tony's immediate "ALRIGHT THEN" is such perfect comedic timing and delivery

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

tony's immediate "ALRIGHT THEN" is such perfect comedic timing and delivery

Just finished another rewatch and busted up at this part, Tony instantly recognizing that Carmine just completely hosed up and trying to hurry along the end of the meeting lmao

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
"WHATEVER HAPPENED THERE!?"

"...The shooting!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
God rest his soul.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Here's a weird thing in Season 6 - in 'Stage 5' there's a scene where Christopher meets with a character Christopher McDonald plays (Shooter McGavin!), and while watching it I figured, oh hey, he's playing a fictional version himself. It makes some sense, Christopher has been hobnobbing with some Hollywood-types while making Cleaver, perhaps they struck up some sort of friendship/sponsorship deal, and on top of that McDonald talks about success in the industry. But looking over the credits he actually plays a totally fictional character named 'Eddie Dunne'. A strange choice, because he only appears one time and I don't think he mentions his name in the dialogue.

Of course the show is really playful with meta references like this throughout the show, and it only increases from season 5 on. I appreciate it even more on my rewatch getting towards the end - its almost as if the Soprano Universe is warping and twisting and there are intruders from our world into theirs (and maybe vice versa) - while the show almost becomes aware of itself as a show.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Season 2 is still my favourite. Just into it on a rewatch :allears:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Mike N Eich posted:

Here's a weird thing in Season 6 - in 'Stage 5' there's a scene where Christopher meets with a character Christopher McDonald plays (Shooter McGavin!), and while watching it I figured, oh hey, he's playing a fictional version himself. It makes some sense, Christopher has been hobnobbing with some Hollywood-types while making Cleaver, perhaps they struck up some sort of friendship/sponsorship deal, and on top of that McDonald talks about success in the industry. But looking over the credits he actually plays a totally fictional character named 'Eddie Dunne'. A strange choice, because he only appears one time and I don't think he mentions his name in the dialogue.

Of course the show is really playful with meta references like this throughout the show, and it only increases from season 5 on. I appreciate it even more on my rewatch getting towards the end - its almost as if the Soprano Universe is warping and twisting and there are intruders from our world into theirs (and maybe vice versa) - while the show almost becomes aware of itself as a show.

Eddie Dunne was Christopher's new sponsor because Murmur was useless once he became an associate. Christopher mentions that Dunne is out of town when he shows up at JT's place drunk before shooting him.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Eddie Dunne was Christopher's new sponsor because Murmur was useless once he became an associate. Christopher mentions that Dunne is out of town when he shows up at JT's place drunk before shooting him.

Ahh, thank you, of course there's connective tissue there.

The back-half of season 6 really shows you what a miserable gently caress Tony is becoming. In every interaction he accentuates the negative and focuses on his own issues. He's immediately in a lovely mood when he comes to Bobby and Janice's house, never relents, and then refuses to have a good time at any moment with Paulie on their sojourn to Miami. It really becomes clear how the main conflict in season 6 is over Tony's soul, despite all the despicable things he's done he's not a complete and total monster beyond redemption, not until he kills Christopher really. But I had remembered him being somewhat better after his shooting and hospital visit, and he's really not. There isn't much of a dead cat bounce except for refusing to cheat on Carmella once (and then engaging in it countless times after that) and that one refusal actually leads to even more resentment as he's jealous and furious at Christopher for being with Julianna Skiff.

The last major episode for Junior is such a great send-off for him, I really love watching him stalk the poker game like the mobsters would throughout the series, peppering in stories and anecdotes - he still has a gangster magic in him. And the ending...heartbreaking. For whatever reason, despite also being a miserable jealous gently caress, Junior is still so drat likeable as a character. Horrible to see him first enfeebled and drugged up, and then totally gone.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Every day's a gift!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There's no better sign of how bad Tony is getting than mutilating the Ojibwe saying and using it instead as an insult to just about everyone.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Pope Corky the IX posted:

lol @ Murmur ever being a sponsor.

"Chrissie, you godda call me before you use!"
"Alright, so where were you?"
"I was in Philly. Pickin' up a thing."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

I wonder how differently things might've gone if he just hadn't said that

They would've still went to war, there's no way Phil was going to let his brother's death go unanswered to his satisfaction.

Maybe Tony wouldn't have as much of a head's up and a few more of his guy's could've got killed while being caught out in the open.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Every day's a gift!

Was going to post exactly this. We see that attitude evaporate with some real quickness, don't we?

Most of the characters in this show are shown to really struggle with making change and I've always kind of viewed that as a central theme and a big part of why it resonates since, let's face it, it's REALLY hard to do. Especially if you're dug in deep with the mob life. Angie changes a lot (but not for the better) and almost everyone who has a chance at it fails (Chris, Vito, Tony, Carm, Artie, Paulie, Phil, Janice, Sil...)

That list goes on forever.

Funny that Carmine, arguably the dumbest character on the show, is one of the few who's all like "gently caress that" and kind of succeeds into a adopting a new life.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I think Artie and Paulie both have breakthroughs as well. Artie decides to just be a chef again, cooking with his grandfathers recipe book instead of obnoxiously entertaining the guests, while Paulie reconciles with his "mother", and he tells Tony, despite Tony dismissing it, how he knows that the Virgin Mary appearing to him right before was an important event even if he doesn't really get why.

Melfi obviously gets over her hump as well by dumping Tony as a client.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Yeah as much as Artie disappears toward the end it feels good that he doesn't spiral any more crazily, would've liked more of him in s6 though. Now that I think about it, does he appear in s6? When's his last ep with actual dialogue? In my most recent rewatch I really liked Carlo as a character, meek & menacing at once until like the penultimate episode or wherever when he flips

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Artie has some dialogue with Tony in the next-to-last episode. At that point, I don't think he's done anything since he gets his happy ending in "Luxury Lounge."

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

doctorthefonz posted:

Yeah as much as Artie disappears toward the end it feels good that he doesn't spiral any more crazily, would've liked more of him in s6 though. Now that I think about it, does he appear in s6? When's his last ep with actual dialogue? In my most recent rewatch I really liked Carlo as a character, meek & menacing at once until like the penultimate episode or wherever when he flips

There’s not a *lot* to Carlo as a character but he gets some broad strokes - he’s the most adamantly homophobic of the bunch, but also the one who draws first blood w/ New York over Vito. Something I’m also picking up with him in my rewatch is that Tony shits on him quite a bit in particular in S6, which I’m sure has no small part to play in him flipping at the end.

I think the thing with Lil Carmine managing to get his way out (kinda) is that he really didn’t have the same resentment and ambition basically everyone else did. Or at least, they aren’t the dominant parts of his personality. I guess that points to Carmine Sr. being, surprisingly, a decent enough dad.

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 12, 2021

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

BiggerBoat posted:

Was going to post exactly this. We see that attitude evaporate with some real quickness, don't we?

Most of the characters in this show are shown to really struggle with making change and I've always kind of viewed that as a central theme and a big part of why it resonates since, let's face it, it's REALLY hard to do. Especially if you're dug in deep with the mob life. Angie changes a lot (but not for the better) and almost everyone who has a chance at it fails (Chris, Vito, Tony, Carm, Artie, Paulie, Phil, Janice, Sil...)

That list goes on forever.

Funny that Carmine, arguably the dumbest character on the show, is one of the few who's all like "gently caress that" and kind of succeeds into a adopting a new life.

To be just a little bit fair to Chris he was being setup to fail by all the other mobsters.

First they give him poo poo (rightly) for being hosed up and then when he gets clean they give him poo poo for not drinking with them and pushes him right back into the abuse.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Well, sure. That ties into what I mean and adds to what makes change so difficult. Environment, etc. They're all caught up in it. One could say the same thing about, say, Carmella who's told Point Blank to leave her husband and get her kids as far away from him as possible but the second she gets a $5000 bracelet or whatever then...well...

There's also the element where the toxic environment and the people in it resent anyone attempting better things for themselves. I think of Vito's weight loss and all the guys making GBS threads on him, for instance. Or Tony intentionally testing Janice's anger management and/or making Bobby do a hit after their fist fight.

When I had a nasty coke habit 30 years ago, the only real way out was to move 1000 a miles away from my enablers, make new friends and surround myself with different people.

I don't think that saying that "change is hard or almost impossible for some people and that the show demonstrates that" is controversial or anything.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

As I wrap up my rewatch I'm struck by something: It's strange the FBI never leaned on Christopher over Adriana at any point in the last season. Obviously, they have nothing to firmly tie him to her disappearance/probable murder, but they know for a fact the last person she met with was Christopher (because she told her FBI handler) and they know that Christopher has issues with drugs and tensions with Tony. They can't threaten him with anything real, but they can certainly put the pressure up on him and maybe exploit some cracks there.

Of course, the main thrust of the FBI storyline in season 6 is that they give less and less of a poo poo about organized crime and more and more attention to terrorism (and the show even goes through pains to show that that time is mostly wasted too) along with the fact that the due to the proximity Agent Harris has to Tony and his crew, the more he ends up fraternizing and sympathizing with them.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Yeah I remember on my last rewatch thinking that too. Like, even just a scene where the local PD bring Christopher in and rattle his cage about Adriana being "missing" while the FBI watches from behind the two way mirror would have added a lot of unresolved tension before his death.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Another Bill posted:

Yeah I remember on my last rewatch thinking that too. Like, even just a scene where the local PD bring Christopher in and rattle his cage about Adriana being "missing" while the FBI watches from behind the two way mirror would have added a lot of unresolved tension before his death.

I think that would have taken away from the totally selfish reasons Tony decides to kill him for though. There's nothing to hide behind the way it plays out (a stretch to make it about his kid), whereas adding that could make it as "he could have flipped" and made it way easier to justify.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mike N Eich posted:

They can't threaten him with anything real, but they can certainly put the pressure up on him and maybe exploit some cracks there.
Yeah, and he knows this. Christopher is vulnerable in a lot of ways, but he'd tell them to eat poo poo.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The FBI had been questioning him about Adriana, he even mentions it when Harris asks about Matush regarding any possible terrorist activity he may have seen. And Adriana’s mother mentions to Carmela that the FBI had been regularly visiting her and they were convinced Chris did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the FBI played extremely fast and lose with their informants. Killing them basically took zero effort within the show