Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
For what it's worth I doubt the ending he has in mind is Jagganoth successfully killing everyone in the multiverse. But then, no one in this thread, myself included, is capable of this kind of creation and we probably shouldn't pretend to be by speculating. It must be nice to have been born with talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Even nicer, to have been working your butt off for years and years, developing your S-tier creative skills.

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

Flesnolk posted:

we probably shouldn't pretend to be by speculating

otoh, like, :justpost:

the innate heroic couple, the binding of the wheels

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

atriptothebeach posted:

Furry costumes are getting way out of hand these days

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

atriptothebeach posted:

It's kind of interesting how this is both completely in line with some of the themes established in the comic and 100% at odds with others.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
put Jagg in the voltron via the binding+the howevermany cubit spear, have an interiority sequence like Alison's with the different versions of herself but there's also the different versions of Yaun ten Jantris and Cio and White Chain, and they can all have a big argument and come to clarity of purpose that way

and Zoss can even creep on the whole show from behind a pillar and stare meaningfully at Alison if he needs to

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder how the next sequence of events ends up with Alison losing an arm and an eye rather than vaporization.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Grouchio posted:

I wonder how the next sequence of events ends up with Alison losing an arm and an eye rather than vaporization.

Is that the side of her body that's holding the spear?

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Flesnolk posted:

For what it's worth I doubt the ending he has in mind is Jagganoth successfully killing everyone in the multiverse. But then, no one in this thread, myself included, is capable of this kind of creation and we probably shouldn't pretend to be by speculating. It must be nice to have been born with talent.

https://twitter.com/orbitaldropkick/status/1341439216195153920

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

Aspected Chaos loses an arm and eye and when they're gonna separate they all go "gently caress I hope that doesn't carry over to us individually" then after they do Alison loses them while Cio and WC are fine and just yells Goddammit for a whole page hopping on one foot

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Studies have found practise doesn't actually help. You have it in you or you don't.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Flesnolk posted:

Studies have found practise doesn't actually help. You have it in you or you don't.

that's really not the case lmao

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

Studies have LITTERALLY found the opposite. Where are you getting your poo poo from?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

troll

in the dungeon

troll in the dungeon

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Sam Sanskrit posted:

Studies have LITTERALLY found the opposite. Where are you getting your poo poo from?

https://www.vox.com/2016/5/30/11767704/practice-doesnt-make-perfect https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1745691616635591

Although it primarily talks about sports, similar findings are mentioned for creative pursuits. People good enough to do these things for a living are born, not made.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Flesnolk posted:

https://www.vox.com/2016/5/30/11767704/practice-doesnt-make-perfect https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1745691616635591

Although it primarily talks about sports, similar findings are mentioned for creative pursuits. People good enough to do these things for a living are born, not made.

your links explicitly say that practice does make a difference

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Only a small difference, and real success is down to inborn ability, not practice.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also, like, that's explicitly talking about athletic ability and not practice in general, like abadon's tweet you originally got mad at

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Flesnolk posted:

Have you never gotten good at anything in your life?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Flesnolk posted:

Only a small difference, and real success is down to inborn ability, not practice.

These articles say nothing about artistic skill

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah that's weird, I was sure I remembered it talking about artistic ability and stuff too. I might have mixed it up with a different one that I'll try to find. Still, if you're good enough to actually accomplish things, like sporting or artistic success, rather than being a hobbyist stuck behind a register at Pottery Barn all your miserable days, you were born that way. Mostly what I find searching is a bunch of platitudes from nobodies about "of course practice matters!!!!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Flesnolk posted:

Yeah that's weird, I was sure I remembered it talking about artistic ability and stuff too. I might have mixed it up with a different one that I'll try to find. Still, if you're good enough to actually accomplish things, like sporting or artistic success, rather than being a hobbyist stuck behind a register at Pottery Barn all your miserable days, you were born that way. Mostly what I find searching is a bunch of platitudes from nobodies about "of course practice matters!!!!"

Or maybe there's more factors to success than whatever you're pulling out of your broken brain.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this is the worst loving troll attempt

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Not everything you disagree with is trolling. I'll concede I don't remember what my original goal was bringing this up, though. Probably just to say there's no point in mere mortals like us speculating on what Abaddon will do next.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Flesnolk posted:

Still, if you're good enough to actually accomplish things, like sporting or artistic success, rather than being a hobbyist stuck behind a register at Pottery Barn all your miserable days, you were born that way.

I think I get what you might be trying to say. Yes, it definitely helps if you are passionate about what you're practicing, and we aren't all necessarily capable of doing everything, even if we do commit a lot of time and effort to practicing. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't help to practice.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

Not everything you disagree with is trolling. I'll concede I don't remember what my original goal was bringing this up, though. Probably just to say there's no point in mere mortals like us speculating on what Abaddon will do next.

it's more charitable to assume you're a troll than to actually suggest you believe this Genetic Predestination bullshit you're posting, but if you insist

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Dammerung posted:

I think I get what you might be trying to say. Yes, it definitely helps if you are passionate about what you're practicing, and we aren't all necessarily capable of doing everything, even if we do commit a lot of time and effort to practicing. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't help to practice.

Nobody in the Olympics, or the professional leagues of any sport, got there by practising, it was innate ability. Any composer whose name people care to remember was a child prodigy. Any author, artist, actor, etc. who got anywhere of note was great from the word go. Maybe you can be Generic Hack Airport Novelist #97 by practising enough, but you're born Vladimir Nabokov.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if this actually is realtalk i'm sorry you've convinced yourself that it's not worth trying at anything because you'll never be good enough, because trying absolutely does make a difference and that was part of abadon's entire point

also, we have the internet now, and people have been on the internet long enough that there are thousands of artists out there that you can see improve by leaps and bounds over a decade+ of practice. sure, you might not be a hidden virtuoso and won't be able to get to the heights other people might be able to, but effort, time, and practice absolutely make a difference

for example, here's the first surviving image from 2013 from when ksbd was a baby on the mspa forums

basically: don't give up and keep at things you want to do

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Flesnolk posted:

Nobody in the Olympics, or the professional leagues of any sport, got there by practising, it was innate ability. Any composer whose name people care to remember was a child prodigy. Any author, artist, actor, etc. who got anywhere of note was great from the word go. Maybe you can be Generic Hack Airport Novelist #97 by practising enough, but you're born Vladimir Nabokov.

omg so true... also we should restore the divine right of kings

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Flesnolk posted:

You clearly have practiced being an idiot online though?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Posting on a forum isn't a skill. Any worthless nobody can do that.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Flesnolk posted:

this is all literally untrue

you certainly get to the olympics with help from your innate physique, but they spend most of their lives up to that point training to excel over their fellow competitors -- they didn't just walk in one day and decide to get a medal. even the youngest competitors are like that -- rayssa leal had a vine of her doing a heelflip in a tutu when she was _eight_, only stuck with it because she went viral and had support from people like tony hawk, and now she's a medalist

and, child prodigies? verdi put out aida when he was 58. samuel jackson's career started in his 40s.

idk maybe i just shouldn't be giving you the benefit of the doubt that you've got some mental blocks making you defeatist and that i could help, but if i didn't at least try i'd feel bad

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's like the old joke

how do you get to carnegie hall?
"be born a brilliant musician"

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

flatluigi posted:

if this actually is realtalk i'm sorry you've convinced yourself that it's not worth trying at anything because you'll never be good enough, because trying absolutely does make a difference and that was part of abadon's entire point

also, we have the internet now, and people have been on the internet long enough that there are thousands of artists out there that you can see improve by leaps and bounds over a decade+ of practice. sure, you might not be a hidden virtuoso and won't be able to get to the heights other people might be able to, but effort, time, and practice absolutely make a difference

for example, here's the first surviving image from 2013 from when ksbd was a baby on the mspa forums

basically: don't give up and keep at things you want to do

Yeah seriously. You can see the vast improvement in this very comic series. And it’s not like just one day Operant changed styles and it was a huge leap better. It’s progressively gotten better as each page has come out.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Flesnolk posted:

I'd like to apologize to the thread for taking Flesnolk's argument in good faith.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

37 new posts in the thread!? New page! Oh wait it's just some guy dropping a hot take that's pretty bewilderingly stupid even for the internet. Pleeeeeeease be a troll.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I've heard similar sentiments from people about artists before and every single person I know who draws themselves all say it's all practice. It's kind of offensive to imply that someone's skill is just a natural gift and not something they've put real effort and mental focus into actively improving.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Flesnolk posted:

You should probably read all of it, rather than cherry-pick the parts that reinforce the conclusion you already believe so you can better wallow in that despair-pit that you seem to enjoy so much.

Vox Article posted:

"One important thing — that's easy to misunderstand— is that this is looking at variance across people, not within an individual," Brooke Macnamara, the lead author of the Perspectives paper, tells me. "So if a person practices, they will get better. Almost across the board, practice should improve one’s performance."

But it also means that for the same amount of practice, some will end up being better at sports than others. "Essentially, learning rates vary," Macnamara says. "Some people improve very quickly with less practice, while others require much more practice."
On the other hand, it's not like these findings are an excuse not to try.
Beyond the study referenced being about athletic ability, which may not generalize into art, the author explicitly mentions that everyone gets better with practice, this study is only trying to explain why the same amount of practice still leads to differences in skill, something only important at the professional or world-class level of sports. Everyone gets better by practicing, studying, watching, etc.. Otherwise, there'd be no point in having schools, training programs, apprenticeships, coaches, or anything like that. It's also incredibly insulting to the athletes and artists who--in addition to having favorable genetic and environmental factors also bust their asses for thousands of hours to get good at the thing they're good at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I've heard similar sentiments from people about artists before and every single person I know who draws themselves all say it's all practice. It's kind of offensive to imply that someone's skill is just a natural gift and not something they've put real effort and mental focus into actively improving.

That's because it allows people to look at the culmination of decades of work and say, "welp, they're clearly gifted, guess I could never be that good since Im not gonna even try to get good guess I'll go masturbate and play video games."