Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Det_no posted:

The game Deiland was removed from the store a couple of days ago because they are putting out a new version under a new publisher. The publisher change means they can't automatically upgrade people to the new version but if you own the old one and fill in the form listed in the game's news post, you can get the new game for free.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1623700/Deiland_Pocket_Planet/
I wonder if this version actually concludes the game rather than just ending on a dumb to be continued

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Also hot off the press, another colony management game/city builder kinda game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1538570/Patron/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13bdMZRygP4

Zero idea if it's good or not. I'm not seeing anything about it anywhere but the supposed social aspect sounds interesting, if maybe a bit of a buzzword.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yo, more people need to try out Splitgate. It's free and easily my favorite multiplayer FPS since forever. Having a portal gun in a Halo-like multi is even more fun than it sounds.

Come to the thread, we need more people and for this to spread, just give it a chance:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3975900

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yj3QF4hh2o&t=21s

Palpek fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 10, 2021

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

as someone who has replaced the ancient "start to crate" rating system with a new paradigm for current day multiplayer first person shooters, what's the "start to racial slur" score on splitgate?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What's a yogventure

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's how the kids these days say "yogurt adventure"

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

as someone who has replaced the ancient "start to crate" rating system with a new paradigm for current day multiplayer first person shooters, what's the "start to racial slur" score on splitgate?

There's no text chat, only voice chat. I've played it pretty casually for about a week or so and I hardly hear anyone even using voice chat, let alone spout racial slurs, but maybe people talk more in the ranked matches. You have to be level 20 to do ranked matches though which I'm not yet, so I couldn't say.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This looks pretty neat (hopefully you can turn on Chinese voices with English subtitles)

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1425126076766900226

There’s something with a similar title on Steam currently that I think is the prequel? Doesn’t appear to have an English localization, though.

Chinese game development (or at least its exposure to the rest of the world) seems to be ramping up big time.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Cowcaster posted:

I don't know what it is about it but almost nobody ever talks or chats in games which is a huge positive. Maybe the addition of portals on top of the usual gameplay takes up that attention slot in the brain or it's just a temporary thing. Either way, no slurs heard yet.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Carrier Command 2 was just released. Surprised they're going for $50 for it. I like this early review:

I, too, use dollars per MB as the only true measure of game quality.

Anyway, game looks rad as hell, probably gonna get it tonight.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Palpek posted:

I don't know what it is about it but almost nobody ever talks or chats in games which is a huge positive. Maybe the addition of portals on top of the usual gameplay takes up that attention slot in the brain or it's just a temporary thing. Either way, no slurs heard yet.

hmmmMMMMmmm that actually sounds pretty good maybe i'll check it out sometime

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

SavageMessiah posted:

I paid for this lovely Comcast data cap and I'm gonna use the whole drat data cap, drat it! :argh:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Palpek posted:

I was going to say the same thing, I don't think I've heard a single person speaking yet but I have seen some "gg"'s in text chat after games. You can also mute individuals in game so even if someone was being an rear end in a top hat it's a click away to mute them.

Splitgate really is cool as gently caress and the "halo... WITH PORTALS!!" thing sounds kinda hackneyed when you hear it but in practice it really works. I think if they skimped on either the Halo or the Portal mechanics this wouldn't be as engaging but the combat really does feel like authentic fast paced Halo combat with all the same game modes and the portals have what feels like the exact same satisfying physics that Portal has. When you combine the two you can do some really inventive stuff and it turns a lot of these game modes into a completely different beast with portals all over the place. I think the first time that I successfully fooled someone by hopping out of a portal behind them to shoot them in the back while they were going forward to advance on me I knew I was hooked.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

edit: nvm

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

SavageMessiah posted:

That would explain why every AAA game is now 150 GB. :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Det_no posted:

The game Deiland was removed from the store a couple of days ago because they are putting out a new version under a new publisher. The publisher change means they can't automatically upgrade people to the new version but if you own the old one and fill in the form listed in the game's news post, you can get the new game for free.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1623700/Deiland_Pocket_Planet/

Never heard of this, screenshots seem to imply this isn't quite the teenyplanet minecraft-stardew I've been dreaming of lately, but still looks kind of cute at least. How is it?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cowcaster posted:

hmmmMMMMmmm that actually sounds pretty good maybe i'll check it out sometime

It rules.

And yeah the community doesn’t seem to talk or anything. I’ve been in one lobby where people talked but that’s it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

explosivo posted:

I was going to say the same thing, I don't think I've heard a single person speaking yet but I have seen some "gg"'s in text chat after games. You can also mute individuals in game so even if someone was being an rear end in a top hat it's a click away to mute them.

Splitgate really is cool as gently caress and the "halo... WITH PORTALS!!" thing sounds kinda hackneyed when you hear it but in practice it really works. I think if they skimped on either the Halo or the Portal mechanics this wouldn't be as engaging but the combat really does feel like authentic fast paced Halo combat with all the same game modes and the portals have what feels like the exact same satisfying physics that Portal has. When you combine the two you can do some really inventive stuff and it turns a lot of these game modes into a completely different beast with portals all over the place. I think the first time that I successfully fooled someone by hopping out of a portal behind them to shoot them in the back while they were going forward to advance on me I knew I was hooked.
Yeah, they could have easily gone with some dumb idea like giving the portal gun a cool down or have a limited ammount of portals per team. But nope, everybody portal anywhere as much as you want instantly, run through enemy portals while you're at it too. It owns so hard.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Palpek posted:

Yeah, they could have easily gone with some dumb idea like giving the portal gun a cool down or have a limited ammount of portals per team. But nope, everybody portal anywhere as much as you want instantly, run through enemy portals while you're at it too. It owns so hard.

Don't the portals only work in certain areas/walls of each map?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
At the risk of opening up the wormiest of cans of worms, Fallout 4 with all the DLC is on sale for ten bucks. Like any rational person I love New Vegas and I quite liked 3 even with its flaws. I am not a person who is particularly attached to Fallout lore (I didn't play the first games until way after they were canonized and thought they were mostly fine). Was the initial criticism of 4 from crazy Fallout people, or is it legitimately just not very good?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What's a yogventure

The game you’ve always wanted

Importantly, we want YOU to be involved at every stage in the development of the game - from funding it here on Kickstarter to guiding the developers on where to focus their efforts. We have a forum set up for players to submit ideas and feedback and we’ll work with you to make those ideas a reality. We’re going to run monthly polls asking for the community to decide what features, elements, or community mods are added to the game. Just some of the features which will be included are:
  • Beautiful, randomly-generated game worlds that are different every time you start a new Yogventure
  • Fully shapeable terrain - with the ability for players to raise a mountain range or create a vast ocean; you can effortlessly shape your world however you imagine it
  • A wealth of novel building materials, creatures, NPCs and items
  • A rich underground to mine and explore - bristling with rare outcroppings of gems and crystals, hidden tombs and dark underground terrors that drop rare weapons and loot
  • A fully-fleshed out crafting system
  • An in-game physics engine that will even effect the blocks you place in your creations
  • The ability to customise your own unique avatar or play as one of your favourite Yogscast characters
  • Easy-to-use in-game modding API including in-game scripting
  • Ability for modders to have a chance to get their work added to the game
  • Regularly released video updates from the developers including the latest feature additions

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Play posted:

Don't the portals only work in certain areas/walls of each map?

Yup, but they're all over the place. It's loving great. I always set up really loving cheeky sniper spots where I can shoot from my portal into the most wide open area of the map. I'm also very fond of having a portal watching my back, so people think they're getting the drop on me when suddenly teleports behind you

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

What style of shooting does Splitgate have? Is it more COD/CS style where folks go down in a couple hits or bullet sponges that jump and strafe around a bunch like UT/Enemy Territory etc

OzFactor posted:

At the risk of opening up the wormiest of cans of worms, Fallout 4 with all the DLC is on sale for ten bucks. Like any rational person I love New Vegas and I quite liked 3 even with its flaws. I am not a person who is particularly attached to Fallout lore (I didn't play the first games until way after they were canonized and thought they were mostly fine). Was the initial criticism of 4 from crazy Fallout people, or is it legitimately just not very good?

The main complaints I still hear now that the fuss has died down is that the writing is mediocre and the crafting/settlement building feels out of place. Probably depends on what you enjoyed in the previous games.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fruits of the sea posted:

What style of shooting does Splitgate have? Is it more COD/CS style where folks go down in a couple hits or bullet sponges that jump and strafe around a bunch like UT/Enemy Territory etc

Halo style. Somewhere between the two. Depends on your weapon.

The Battle Rifle should kill someone in four bursts to the head, which isn't instantaneous. There's usually plenty of time to react.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 10, 2021

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Fruits of the sea posted:

The main complaints I still hear now that the fuss has died down is that the writing is mediocre and the crafting/settlement building feels out of place. Probably depends on what you enjoyed in the previous games.

I like exploring ruins. I'm not looking for a good story in a Bethesda game, maybe a few good sidequests. Do I have to do the settlement thing or can I ignore it?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The 7th Guest posted:

I wonder if this version actually concludes the game rather than just ending on a dumb to be continued

This is a PC port of the switch remaster from the sound of it. So it'll do whatever that did.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's Halo with portals but a bit speedier, and a quicker ttk.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sailor Dave posted:

There's no text chat, only voice chat. I've played it pretty casually for about a week or so and I hardly hear anyone even using voice chat, let alone spout racial slurs, but maybe people talk more in the ranked matches. You have to be level 20 to do ranked matches though which I'm not yet, so I couldn't say.

There's text chat but very few people use it. Probably because it's a crossplay game and most people you see are on a gamepad.

e:

explosivo posted:

I ran into one pair of young-sounding kids who were talking in vc (probably queued together). One of them was really apologetic about how he kept bumping his mic and making lots of noise whenever he reached to flip the on-off switch so he could talk. He was pretty happy when I showed him what push-to-talk was.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 10, 2021

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

OzFactor posted:

If you liked 3 you'll like 4

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

OzFactor posted:

I like exploring ruins. I'm not looking for a good story in a Bethesda game, maybe a few good sidequests. Do I have to do the settlement thing or can I ignore it?
You can pretty much ignore it or throw some basics together and forget about it if you aren't playing survival.

Fallout 4 is fine, it's just a 7/10 game tbh.

The writing is mostly not good verging on farcical at times but some of the quests are decent, the shooting is okay, settlements are irritating or ignorable without mods, most of what you loot is literally garbage to feed crafting and settlements, the weapon system was made more procedural and modular and its not well done and uninteresting, the crafting systems are bleh without modding.

If you liked 3 and just want to run around shoot super mutants and explore ruins it's fine.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 10, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

OzFactor posted:

I went pretty deep into it itt a few months back, mentioning that there's really nothing like it for what it is despite all the significant problems with a lot of the game. If you vibe the open world explore experience there's not much comparable.

Settlement and crafting feel unnecessary but given a huge amount of importance, its really more of a go 100% in or bare bones, there's not a lot of middle ground and you need to take feats to really get into it. Crafting is especially bad as its kind of required to keep up with the level growth of enemies as there's no easy way to remove good mods from trash weapons to out onto a better weapon. If you take to crafting abilities you're stuck with pretty underpowered weapons in general and the loot rng is mostly junk.

Other then that, not a lot major problems. Its a typical mile wide inch deep open world Bethesda game. You might want some mods but I didn't use any.

Here's a break down of what crafting/mods requires

pentyne posted:

Just to elaborate the absolutely bonkers mechanics, in order to craft the high level stuff you will absolutely need the following
-snip-

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 10, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

OzFactor posted:

Almost entirely optional from what I recall. I never finished it though, so maybe someone else can chip in.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

OzFactor posted:

I disliked 3 and 4, liked NV, 1 and 2.

I'd expect you'd enjoy 4 if you just want to wander the wastes and shoot dudes in power armor

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

OzFactor posted:

it's a good explore and loot and shoot game. the plot is truly wretched and your character sounds dumb as gently caress 100% of the time but skip all of the dialogue and just follow the map/quest markers and you'll have a decent time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Get addicted to alcohol asap so you can hear John Fallout shout loving KILLL every time he sees a bandit after chugging a bud light

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

don't give Zenimax money for bad games. /worms /can

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

haldolium posted:

don't give Zenimax money for bad games. /worms /can

Are we starting a list of publishers not to give money for bad games because oh boy :can:

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Looks like the hit game everyone has been waiting for is finally out. Lawn Mowing Simulator has a 15% launch discount.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

OzFactor posted:

It's not very good the story is bad the quest design is uninspired and it's systems are only half compleat you could mod the hell out of it but if you've got other games or just other things to do with your time I would not recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There's text chat but very few people use it. Probably because it's a crossplay game and most people you see are on a gamepad.

crossplay for an FPS, eh... is the distinction between the keyboard warriors and gamepadders noticeable