Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

hawowanlawow posted:

I haven't heard your metal but it does probably suck

I’m not talking about not liking it but the people still obsessed over it like the early days.

It was sad then and it’s worse if your still holding on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I remember enjoying listening to Limp Bizkit when I was in high school, but that was only 2 or 3 songs and probably more just spoke to that phase of my life (why yes, one of those songs was Break Stuff)

I don't think I've thought about that band since then, except when they were mentioned off-hand as part of a joke about circle jerking on Silicon Valley

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's just weird to hear about these people and not really know who they are.

Was nu-metal like grunge in that it was an American thing?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Largely yes, though it has a much more definable sound than grunge, which was basically applied to a hodge podge of disparate sounding artists that happened to be from the Northwest.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Got it, thank you! I'll leave you all to it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Aces High posted:

I remember enjoying listening to Limp Bizkit when I was in high school, but that was only 2 or 3 songs and probably more just spoke to that phase of my life (why yes, one of those songs was Break Stuff)

I don't think I've thought about that band since then, except when they were mentioned off-hand as part of a joke about circle jerking on Silicon Valley

I’m almost embarrassed to admit that my mind was blown when someone pointed out that the reason why Russ Hanneman is constantly blasting nu-metal is because that would be the dominant genre when he became a billionaire in the early 2000s, meaning he’s not just immature, he literally stopped maturing when he became rich. In retrospect it’s so OBVIOUS.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

I’m almost embarrassed to admit that my mind was blown when someone pointed out that the reason why Russ Hanneman is constantly blasting nu-metal is because that would be the dominant genre when he became a billionaire in the early 2000s, meaning he’s not just immature, he literally stopped maturing when he became rich. In retrospect it’s so OBVIOUS.

Silicon Valley is going to age like wine, as each year passes it becomes more applicable to the tech bro SV culture.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

pentyne posted:

Silicon Valley is going to age like wine, as each year passes it becomes more applicable to the tech bro SV culture.

The dotcom bubble episode of Daria comes to mind as having aged hilariously well given all that's really changed is the trappings and the size of the computers.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

I live in the frozen north and I still know who Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit was.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nu-Metal was massive here in the even more frozen north.

I was a baby for Grunge so I don't remember that but I know there was a massive grunge revival around the turn of the millennium. Literally every other dude in my class from like 2001-2006 wæhad long hair and idolised Kurt Cobain.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m not talking about not liking it but the people still obsessed over it like the early days.

It was sad then and it’s worse if your still holding on

A lot of 60 year old dudes out there are still living of the high if Disco Demolition Night in '79.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 19:37 on Aug 10, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FreudianSlippers posted:

A lot of 60 year old dudes out there are still living of the high if Disco Demolition Night in '79.

Which comes off differently if you consider they were probably happy to get rid of all that music played and enjoyed by nonwhite people.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Which comes off differently if you consider they were probably happy to get rid of all that music played and enjoyed by nonwhite people.

I think the gay thing was even more of a problem for them. There's a reason it's "disco sucks" not "lynch disco"

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Largely yes, though it has a much more definable sound than grunge, which was basically applied to a hodge podge of disparate sounding artists that happened to be from the Northwest.

It should be also said, that every track in the late 90s/early 2000s had to have some sort of rap verse in it. Because rap was THE dominate genre at the time. So, to get some of these hard rock bands some radio play they were merged into rap-rock and then the term nu-metal. Because, you know the record industry can't let things work organically.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mooseontheloose posted:

It should be also said, that every track in the late 90s/early 2000s had to have some sort of rap verse in it. Because rap was THE dominate genre at the time. So, to get some of these hard rock bands some radio play they were merged into rap-rock and then the term nu-metal. Because, you know the record industry can't let things work organically.

It's like forced stealth sections in video games.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Alhazred posted:

I live in the frozen north and I still know who Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit was.

I mean I've heard the names but that is the limit of it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Linkin Park was awesome and put on an amazing live show and it’s a huge tragedy that Chester never got the support and help he needed. Yeah, it’s all music about teenage angst and stuff, who gives a poo poo, sometimes after a lousy week a quick spin through Meteora is just what takes the edge off.

I’ll never understand anyone who writes off an entire genre - whether it’s rap, country, nu-metal or opera - for being musically or culturally void instead of just saying it’s not for them.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

AceOfFlames posted:

Russ is the best character in that show because he's so enthusiastic about everything. He's a terrible person, but he's enthusiastically terrible.

It's extra funny because Martine Rothblat (the woman generally credited with putting radio online) is the exact opposite of Russ -- a recluse who's been happily married for 40 years and funds a bunch of medical research.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair that’s just what Metal is. A genre constantly desperate to prove its own version is the only true version. Everything else is just selling out

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

This hidden bonus track from the Warcraft II expansion is kinda unfortunate with the recent Blizzard news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TknF4UODXCc

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair that’s just what Metal is. A genre constantly desperate to prove its own version is the only true version. Everything else is just selling out

I will have you know that Finnish Black Death Metal is the superior form of metal music. In this essay, I will.....

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

The Moon Monster posted:

This hidden bonus track from the Warcraft II expansion is kinda unfortunate with the recent Blizzard news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TknF4UODXCc

What Blizzard news?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gaunab posted:

What Blizzard news?

how have you missed it? https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/21/business/activision-blizzard-california-lawsuit.html

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Limp Bizkit was a big part of my youth alongside Rob Zombie, only finding White Zombie's stuff later. It's loud, dumb fun, and Durst in that stupid wig ruled. I'dnever have called LB good though, lol. Now I'm nearer forty and listening to Brian Eno and Idles. The cycle is complete.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

well hellbilly deluxe is obviously a classic

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

White Zombie is Groove Metal not Nu Metal and predates Nu Metal by a decade.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

hawowanlawow posted:

well hellbilly deluxe is obviously a classic

Please don’t say conquering the worm

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I haven't watched the Woodstock 99 documentary but from what I heard it's like that Fyre Festival one where it helps the organizers wash their hands of blame. Organizer John Scher blames nu metal for everything that went wrong, and gsays this about the rampant sexual assaults: "I am critical of the hundreds of women that were walking around with no clothes on, and expecting not to be touched".

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

I haven't watched the Woodstock 99 documentary but from what I heard it's like that Fyre Festival one where it helps the organizers wash their hands of blame. Organizer John Scher blames nu metal for everything that went wrong, and gsays this about the rampant sexual assaults: "I am critical of the hundreds of women that were walking around with no clothes on, and expecting not to be touched".

wow he sounds like a real Douche Bag 99

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

oldpainless posted:

Please don’t say conquering the worm

dead i am the one

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Arivia posted:

Staind on my tightly-whiteys more like. That band was always whiny and useless even when they were popular. And I’m saying this as a kid listening to alt-rock at the time, aka the target audience.

I once saw a reunion show for this local punk band called "The Stain". The main guy behind the band explained between songs that Aaron Lewis from Staind was a colossal rear end in a top hat and unsuccessfully sued him over the name, which this punk band had been using since like the early 1980s.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
going back to reality tv that didn't age well
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There%27s_Something_About_Miriam

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: Nu-Metal.

Pop-Punk band Bowling For Soup has a song called "Girl all the Bad Guys Want". In it there is a line that I feel encapsulates all the Nu-Metal esque bands and the way that their members inevitably descended into CHUDdery.

"Her CD changer's full of singers that are mad at their dads".

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
When I was able 8 years old my friends asked me if I liked Limp Bizkit.

I said I'd never tried one.

That's my entire contribution to nu-metal chat.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I've always found the relationship between rap and nu-metal to be a curious one. It was definitely a part of the aesthetic very early on, but outside of Limp Bizkit, it more or less disappeared from the genre soon after it got big.

I think they correctly perceived that most of their fans didn't come from the rap end of the equation and didn't appreciate any attempts to push further in that direction.

But there were definitely some studio execs who didn't get the message and kept trying to cram a guest rapper into songs. And a lot of critics kept conflating Korn with Limp Bizkit and calling them a "rap-metal" band despite almost never sounding like one. (Yes, their most famous album did have 3 songs with guest rappers, including Fred Durst, but none of those were even singles.)

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 11:04 on Aug 11, 2021

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
My favorite nu metal band is Kabbage Boy.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I’d say most numetal doesn’t hold up much, but I just relistened and can confirm korn’s got the life still slaps.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Are numetal and buttrock the same thing?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Not at all

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I bought random rear end CDs all the time when I was in high school. Like I would buy a CD from bands I never heard of just based on whether I liked the album art or title. I found some cool bands that way and a number of listen once, think it's alright than never listen to the CD again.

That said one of the only CDs I bought back then that I 100% regret buying was Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory. gently caress I hated that so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Volcott posted:

Are numetal and buttrock the same thing?

I use buttrock for post-grunge stuff like Nickelback.