Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I really wonder what Garuda the Allagan General was like given how freakin Psycho the Ixal Goddess Garuda is.
Turns out she was just really appreciative of an ancient Ixali comedian whose name is sadly lost to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Isn't Wyrmblood just a title? I think I remember that his real name was gonna come up in EW.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I thought it was a name he gave himself after...I wanna say his parents died to dragon poo poo? Either way yea it's not his real name.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
if I remember right it's way clearer in Japanese, I think his surname in that literally translates to 'Dragonslayer Estinien' when said the Japanese way

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

sexpig by night posted:

if I remember right it's way clearer in Japanese, I think his surname in that literally translates to 'Dragonslayer Estinien' when said the Japanese way

Dragons Layer Estinien

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Bruceski posted:

Dragons Layer Estinien

thats after the character development

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bruceski posted:

Dragons Layer Estinien

:yeah:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

Lol, so he's purple Ornstein. Even their names are similar

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bruceski posted:

Dragons Layer Estinien

wow what a thrust

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
{heavy thrust} {nidhogg} {rear} {please.}

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And here I thought Ysayle was trying to be Shiva.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
NPC Names in duties are way more frequently titles and the like than they are the actual full given names anyway. In Zadnor you've got Oboro Moonrise and Tsubame Sunrise on the field and then you get their field notes and they're Oboro Torioi and Tsubame Oshidari.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hogama posted:

NPC Names in duties are way more frequently titles and the like than they are the actual full given names anyway. In Zadnor you've got Oboro Moonrise and Tsubame Sunrise on the field and then you get their field notes and they're Oboro Torioi and Tsubame Oshidari.

The NPC names are basically the same thing as the Titles the WoL can get.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The NPC names are basically the same thing as the Titles the WoL can get.

Oboro the Meat Axe.

I've been getting so many commendations since I turned on that title...

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I always thought it was interesting how class NPCs had lots of epithets, often very fancy ones, but none of the Scions do as far as I know.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ramuh is a mash up of Ramuh and Ixiom because they’re both lightning things. Leviathan has two heads because we strongly remember fighting the head and the tail but maybe it was two heads poo poo it’s been a while.

Why is Titan a car? Are we conflating Titan with Tunnel Armour/Prometheus from Ghimlyt Dark, or maybe the Hexadrome from Doma Castle. It's gotta be some sort of magitek digging machine.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
titan's a car cause it's cool

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zutaten posted:

Why is Titan a car? Are we conflating Titan with Tunnel Armour/Prometheus from Ghimlyt Dark, or maybe the Hexadrome from Doma Castle. It's gotta be some sort of magitek digging machine.

The explanation I believe actually given by Yoshi-P was that when the explosions and landslides got mentioned, the WoL got distracted thinking of the Illuminati's diggers and tanks.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jetrauben posted:

I always thought it was interesting how class NPCs had lots of epithets, often very fancy ones, but none of the Scions do as far as I know.

Probably because they're all Archons.
I mean, they're obviously all combat proficient, but they're still primarily academics and scholars and intellectual types first and foremost - Other than Thancred, but he's a spy so even that makes sense in terms of him not having a nickname that everybody would recognize.

If they decided to go make names for themselves on battlefields and warfronts as a primary profession, they'd surely get fancy nicknames then, but in the meantime, they're more along the lines of Action Scientists.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Cleretic posted:

The explanation I believe actually given by Yoshi-P was that when the explosions and landslides got mentioned, the WoL got distracted thinking of the Illuminati's diggers and tanks.

Is that why the big naked Titan Maximum kind of looks like Ilberd? Thancred says don't fall off and you immediately think of the most memorable guy who fell off something.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

the_steve posted:

Probably because they're all Archons.
I mean, they're obviously all combat proficient, but they're still primarily academics and scholars and intellectual types first and foremost - Other than Thancred, but he's a spy so even that makes sense in terms of him not having a nickname that everybody would recognize.

If they decided to go make names for themselves on battlefields and warfronts as a primary profession, they'd surely get fancy nicknames then, but in the meantime, they're more along the lines of Action Scientists.

I mean, maybe, but even characters like Maxima or Rielle get epithets. It actually seems a pretty common thing in-universe.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

it's so loving good that the entire first half of Eden was just 'the WoL's fought so many bugfuck insane things they can't even focus on one'.

"Uh yea, Titan, poo poo blew up, the ground slid under me a lot...ugh that's a lot like those stupid goblin tanks those were such a pain too..."

"Gotcha, earth elemental who rides a tank."

"Wait what?"

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

sexpig by night posted:

it's so loving good that the entire first half of Eden was just 'the WoL's fought so many bugfuck insane things they can't even focus on one'.

"Uh yea, Titan, poo poo blew up, the ground slid under me a lot...ugh that's a lot like those stupid goblin tanks those were such a pain too..."

"Gotcha, earth elemental who rides a tank."

"Wait what?"

"Let's see, Ramuh, he was an old man that shot lightning at everyone... reminds me of this horse I fought more recently...."

"Old man centaur, got it!"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
All things considered, it's impressive that Eden Garuda is mostly accurate, for how backwards the rest turned out.

Even if the reason is probably 'Nomura's designed enough Ifrits and Leviathans to get weird with that task, but Garuda's still mostly new to him'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

All things considered, it's impressive that Eden Garuda is mostly accurate, for how backwards the rest turned out.

Even if the reason is probably 'Nomura's designed enough Ifrits and Leviathans to get weird with that task, but Garuda's still mostly new to him'.

"Okay I fought ifrit.. and Garuda... and I think they got absorbed by something and got st-" "Ifrit and Garuda combined, right."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Amon was very clearly Emet-Selch, because Amon's armor set that drops from the Crystal Tower is used by the three jobs that care about the two things Emet-Selch cares about - Bard, Dancer (performing arts) and Machinist (GUN).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

:hmmyes:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
We may have to accept that there are two people in the world who do dramatic hand flourishes

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

Amon was very clearly Emet-Selch, because Amon's armor set that drops from the Crystal Tower is used by the three jobs that care about the two things Emet-Selch cares about - Bard, Dancer (performing arts) and Machinist (GUN).

Seeing Emet Selch in his aumarotian form doing his snap and dismissive wave was the best. Amon could be an Emet Selch fanboy or a clone of Emet Selch himself, my brain and heart can hold both interpretations

Edit: ^^^^^^ unlikely at best

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

W.T. Fits posted:

If only Emet had remembered to bring his gun with him to Amaurot he could have just shot G'raha again

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's so funny to me that the ultimate power behind the scenes of the very world just had a handgun

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

If only Emet had remembered to bring his gun with him to Amaurot he could have just shot G'raha again

Let expanse contract, eon become instant!
Champions from beyond the rift heed my ca*BANG*

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

sexpig by night posted:

it's so funny to me that the ultimate power behind the scenes of the very world just had a handgun

"Behold! The power of a sorcerer of eld!" *bang*

I love that the gun he has is specifically the pre-imperial Garlean revolver, which is a drop you can get in the Great Gubal Library. He probably just found it in one of the pockets in his robe.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

sexpig by night posted:

Why sully his own aether with such menial a task?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why sully his own aether with such menial a task?

Exactly. Why crush a bug with my barehand, getting gross bug juice on it, when I can use a flyswatter?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Begemot posted:

"Behold! The power of a sorcerer of eld!" *bang*

I love that the gun he has is specifically the pre-imperial Garlean revolver, which is a drop you can get in the Great Gubal Library. He probably just found it in one of the pockets in his robe.

"I wanna show you a trick Mother showed me when you weren't around, to use on special occasions like this."

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

It just shows that Emet-Selch's approach of hanging out with us had its merits.

When Elidibus stabbed the Exarch with his magic, it did basically nothing. Emet-Selch had figured it out from spending time with the Exarch, so he brought a tool that would work.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

sexpig by night posted:

I choose to believe he used a gun specifically because it was the most dramatic possible option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

I choose to believe he used a gun specifically because it was the most dramatic possible option.

And it rules.

I mean, other than the shooting Graha'Tia part.