Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

much to consider

There are a couple of these, see also Titus and Authority, Kim in profile and Composure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Doccykins posted:

There are a couple of these, see also Titus and Authority, Kim in profile and Composure

*man* I love this game

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

GlyphGryph posted:

They have movie rentals? I don't remember that bit. The photographs seem like fairly advanced tech that isn't widely available, and even Kim can only afford a small number of photos on the departments budget.

Kim has a color (effectively) polaroid camera that produces a photo one can hold in their hand and look at on the spot. There are no doubt a great many less fancy (possibly not color, even, who knows?) cameras that still require blackroom processing widely available.

Just as there were many widely available (black and white, perhaps?) films available before polaroid technology was ever a thing.

Just saying, Kim's camera is decidedly regarded as fancy, not for being a camera, but for being *that* sort of camera.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If you use the phone in the dock office, right when you sneak into it, the first place you call is a video rental store asking if they know who you are.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

There's several references to the video rental store, Video Revachol, throughout the game. It's also (ending spoilers) one of the buildings you can see in the final dream.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Lugubrious posted:

There's several references to the video rental store, Video Revachol, throughout the game. It's also (ending spoilers) one of the buildings you can see in the final dream.

yeah, i was gonna say, how can you not remember the rental store? but then i realized some people actively tried to avoid that stuff throughout, but even then, when you pick up the phone on the way to see Evrart, you will automatically call the movie rental place.

Vagabong posted:

All this stuff is sick, but the real loss here is the lack of bulletproof vest and jacket over shoulder Harry in the final game.

yeah, I mean, that image with Harry in his underwear that says "kinda flabby chest, strong arms" and the one below it are some of the first rough drafts for Harry, from what I could tell from the posts (I should've just gone full on creep and saved all of his posts as well, for context), but yeah that and the pic of him and Kim pointing guns at Andre's crew make him look a lot cooler

the_american_dream posted:

Is that not the pawn shop owner or was that model used more than once

Oh, could be, I just noticed after I had saved all those pics that he's one of the scabs, which I would've never noticed before, and it's really hard to see Roy, so it could be. It's a clever re-use of character models, if so, and if I remember correctly, he said that he basically took a generic character model from like sketchfab or some website that lets you download 3D models people uploaded, and kept nearly everything else the same, including the rigging, but modeled the head from scratch. and said that was sort of the basis for a lot of the characters, or at least at that point.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 5, 2021

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I didn’t think I’d wanna jump back in right after finishing the first ones but my hardcore John McClane ACTION COP role play run with all FIS and MOT has been very fun and feels somehow way different.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Out of curiosity has anyone gotten this prompt

Day 1 spoiler there’s something that can trigger when talking to the “gardener” or maybe around her that lets Harry figure out the set up with the traffic jam, andher being in that position is all so the union can keep an eye on him

I got it on my very first play through before scrapping that build early in day one to restart and haven’t managed to prompt in two play throughs since. I figured high MO perception would get it but nope.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Day 1 spoiler there’s something that can trigger when talking to the “gardener” or maybe around her that lets Harry figure out the set up with the traffic jam, andher being in that position is all so the union can keep an eye on him

I got it on my very first play through before scrapping that build early in day one to restart and haven’t managed to prompt in two play throughs since. I figured high MO perception would get it but nope.

There is or was a clip of Woolie also getting that one, culminating in a red Visual Calculus check that he got a critical failure on an 83% success prediction with Harry just bluntly stating "You're black." and presumably creating an extremely awkward situation.

Didn't even know that check existed, no clue what criteria is needed to access it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I got it on my 6-6-6-6 play through I just started. Don’t remember the trigger though.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I think you need to ask Cuno about the crime scene, and have him mention her (in slur form), first.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The way DE treats technology makes more sense if you remember more the 90s, 80s and earlier; cameras, computers, televisions and radios all exist but they are all seperate technologies that run on different principles, compared to everything being digital now. And Revachol being formerly advanced and now very poor and industrially behind means technology is going to be very all over the place depending on what people can afford, and even similar technologies might not necessarily be compatible. They have radio as one of the most popular mediums while television and video also exists probably because a lot more people can afford radios than televisions. Also remember it's based on post-Soviet Eastern Europe, where technology is similarly all over the place because of poverty and industrial bases.

Kim's crime scene camera is notable because it's basically a compact, portable Polaroid type that can instantly produce high-quality colour photographs- something very useful specifically for crime scenes when you need a picture right away. It's something that'd be high-tech and impressive even today.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Scientific and technological development is much much slower in DE than in real life. The revolution was almost 50 years ago, and buildings and businesses and technologies from before that era are still relevant. But there is an actual cabal of powerbrokers who try and guide the world, whereas no one knows what the gently caress is going on over here.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Discuss.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I'm a little lost.

It's Friday, I've got the tasks to determine where the shot came from and to find ruby. I've found a mural that I think is related to her, but nothing comes up. Kim is off bringing the body to headquarters. Should I just dick around until Saturday?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah.

There are certain things you can only do when Kim isn't around; try to knock out a few of those if you haven't. I don't remember whether the mural requires Kim's presence, but it definitely benefits from him, so leave it be for now.
For a good time, go tell Joyce about how Evrart's helping you find your gun.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Cheston posted:

I'm a little lost.

It's Friday, I've got the tasks to determine where the shot came from and to find ruby. I've found a mural that I think is related to her, but nothing comes up. Kim is off bringing the body to headquarters. Should I just dick around until Saturday?

Yeah, that doesn't trigger if Kim is away IIRC from one of my games. Which in hindsight makes sense but at the time confused me.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
and always remember that while the game can make it feel like there's time pressure there really isn't at all

take your time, get totally sidetracked, talk to everybody, explore everything, read a book, enjoy yourself

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I ran into a time limit with one of the union quests (I think?) but still completed it, albeit in an unsatisfying way.

I would recommend going back and re-trying white checks whenever your stats go up- some checks are pretty hard and there were several I never got to see because I waited until I had a high skill but got an unlucky roll.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

I ran into a time limit with one of the union quests (I think?) but still completed it, albeit in an unsatisfying way.

wait which quest is this?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

wait which quest is this?

Got to open a door

Also possible that it’s tied to completion of some other quest, but I couldn’t say without having done it properly.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

Got to open a door

Also possible that it’s tied to completion of some other quest, but I couldn’t say without having done it properly.

oh right yeah that makes sense

it's definitely tied to the completion of another quest

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

EorayMel posted:

There is or was a clip of Woolie also getting that one, culminating in a red Visual Calculus check that he got a critical failure on an 83% success prediction with Harry just bluntly stating "You're black." and presumably creating an extremely awkward situation.

Didn't even know that check existed, no clue what criteria is needed to access it.

This happened on my first playthrough but I didn't realize the importance and instead focused on what an rear end in a top hat I was haha.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
The Rene and Gaston white checks are time sensitive as well

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Inspect the bridge obstruction by day 2 and finish any business with Rene the royalist grandpa by day 4, I'm unaware of any other time limits.

Here is some stuff I wish I knew beforehand, not sure whether to spoiler or not but that's kinda the point :ohdear:
Don't mess with the lone container in the harbor if you wanna go with the capitalist/ultraliberal flavour quest later, but that is a bug afaik.
Don't jump over a certain concrete wall to get to a certain jacket before you entered the harbor by a 'legit' way, or you'll be locked in there and skip content.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 10, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

sauer kraut posted:

Don't jump over a certain concrete wall to get to a certain jacket before you entered the harbor by a 'legit' way, or you'll be locked in there and skip content.

Literally everything you do in the game causes you to miss content, but doing this absolutely doesn't lock you in. I did it the first time I played on Day 1 and it went fine. If your stats are low you do need to grab the meds from the guard shack to survive the boss fight, but it's still possible for anyone I believe.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I know, but dealing with Measurehead is sure to be a lot more fun than that (I'll find out in a second playthrough soon)

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
How exactly do you jump into that section? Is it a glitch? Haven’t tried it but the game seems pretty strict about not being able to view things that you don’t have a walk path to. On console anyway

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think you need to get onto to roof of night city, but I haven't managed it before getting inside otherwise.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

LRADIKAL posted:

I think you need to get onto to roof of night city, but I haven't managed it before getting inside otherwise.

Yup, then you get a Savoir Faire check to jump for your jacket

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

sauer kraut posted:

I know, but dealing with Measurehead is sure to be a lot more fun than that (I'll find out in a second playthrough soon)

You can still go talk to him and internalize racism if that was your plan.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
i think they mean you don't get to spin kick him for the button

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If you get into the harbour after the boss has gone to bed, there's a pass card sitting out in the office that you can use to get out and in again.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bossman just gave me a pass card when I needed to leave. I was cool doing favors for him though, might be a different story for a union busting detective :v:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The LA Review of Books did an essay on Disco Elysium: https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/roleplaying-a-communist-cop-in-the-ruins-of-revolution/

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sadly but unsurprisingly any such article in a legacy publication has to spend half the word count explaining what a video game is. It might have gotten somewhere a little more interesting than "game good" if it had been able to leave out the preamble

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Picked this game up, Finished day 1

Sad I dissapointed Kim but I didnt want to rush getting the body down or dealing with tall racist, plus I got the kid inside so thats a small win.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Stormgale posted:

plus I got the kid inside so thats a small win.

Wait, what?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Think they mean convincing the bookstore owner to call her daughter inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Probably referring to the book store owner's daughter.

e;fb