Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Memento posted:

https://transcripts.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Episode_IX:_The_Rise_of_Skywalker

ctrl-f "cult" gets you four results, three uses of the word "difficult" and then the line "Forgive me, sir, but these allies on Exegol.... they sound like a cult. Conjurers and soothsayers"

That was a line one of the First Order officers spoke to another one as the Knights of Ren walked past them. The knights were just kinda there until they slapped Spongebob Squarechest around for a bit at the end.

To be fair, it did give us one of my favourite moments - all through the final three movies we saw Ren and Rey having their little force vision talks and sometimes objects would move between them. Ren kicks a barrel full of poo poo where he is, the contents spill across the floor where Rey is.

Then, when the Knights of Red are about to kill him, he and Rey have a brief force chat and she hands him her lightsaber.

Doesn't really make sense, but we'll call it force magic and it was cool enough that I'm willing to give it a pass.

This is my biggest complaint, right there. How could we know what was going on when the movie made no attempt to tell or show us?

Unless you played the games and bought the books and comics.

Biplane posted:

Please, I can't talk about star wars. My jimmies get far too rustled :(

I was kinda fine with it the first time through because you're just sitting there confused for 2 hours waiting for poo poo to be explained. The second time going through, you know it never does and, yes, my jimmies were heavily rustled.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 15:29 on Aug 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Doesn't really make sense, but we'll call it force magic and it was cool enough that I'm willing to give it a pass.

The Force is now essentially Superman II where Clark suddenly has the ability to project himself all Loki-style and cling wrap bad guys with his S logo. They took an already ridiculously overpowered character and kept adding unrelated stuff to it for reasons. Like surviving in the cold vacuum of space (RIP Ackar) or passing light sabers across time and space.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think the main plot would have worked better if the movie didn’t open with everyone knowing Palpatine was back and if the idea was that the Resistance and First Order were locked in a bloody stalemate and instead of being a fleet of super star destroyers, Exegol was supposed to be a vault/scrapyard of prototype weapons. Maybe not Death Star level but powerful enough to be a huge shot in the arm for whatever side found it and win the war.

Then when they get there it turns out Palpatine was alive and (somehow) leaked the info in the first place to draw everyone in.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Then, when the Knights of Red are about to kill him, he and Rey have a brief force chat and she hands him her lightsaber.

Plus the wink and nod Kylo Ren gives to his ex-underlings that were, up to that moment, kicking his rear end is top notch too. It looks like an Han Solo mannerism and I like that it's a small nod towards "Ben's back" in a movie completely devoid of any subtlety.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Someone mentioned earlier about Abram's love for [mystery box] movies, which is fair enough.

quote:

Abrams uses to explain the structure of a good mystery story: you drop people into the middle of a mystery-in-progress that leaves them wanting to know answers in both directions.

Problem with this is that he never bothers to explain in either direction.

That Italian Guy posted:

Plus the wink and nod Kylo Ren gives to his ex-underlings that were, up to that moment, kicking his rear end is top notch too. It looks like an Han Solo mannerism and I like that it's a small nod towards "Ben's back" in a movie completely devoid of any subtlety.

Oh yeah, I totally missed that on my first watch, but it was a great little moment.

christmas boots posted:

I think the main plot would have worked better if

The unofficial title of the sequel trilogy, right there.

But, I will say that they nailed the look of a Star Wars movie. If you played it with the sound off, it would be amazing.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I think the new movies just look like toy commercials. They "updated" the look of everything and its so obviously just because they needed new x-wings and stormtroopers to peddle. Old star wars looked practical and lived in, new star wara looks fake and dumb. And thats without getting into the writing, which is so bad. God drat it see what youve done???

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The really nailed the sound design. At least in The Force Awakens, though a lot of that is probably just reusing sounds from the old movies.

I haven't seen the other two because I can't be bothered and have a lot of 70s Italian exploitation films by, for, and about perverts I still need to watch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Biplane posted:

I think the new movies just look like toy commercials. They "updated" the look of everything and its so obviously just because they needed new x-wings and stormtroopers to peddle. Old star wars looked practical and lived in, new star wara looks fake and dumb. And thats without getting into the writing, which is so bad. God drat it see what youve done???

Gotta love how the Naboo Fighters and Xwings had a clear throughline of design, but both are visually quite distinct and the prequel movies were creative and different but also felt lived-in.

Then we get the new trilogy and its "orange xwing, stormtrooper with a stripe" like are you guys even trying? Don't you have billions of dollars to hire sci-fi concept artists with??

Truly we live in a monkey's paw universe where somebody asked for more star wars and we got it. Its really funny how much public opinion on the prequels has improved over the years since these films are so much worse. (Which isn't to say the prequels aren't heavily flawed, they are)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That might be the first time I've heard the prequels felt "lived in". Wasn't Lucas all about shiny chrome?

And I get it, that was the height of the Republic. A speeder in every garage and a jawa in every pot. Stuff was supposed to look clean and new. Just looked a bit too clean and new.

The last 3 films did lack in new designs though. The Quad Jumper looked neat, but we only saw it for 2 seconds from behind. The Rebel bombers looked like warm poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
There's a lot of shiny chrome in the prequels which is funny since its before the rebel era but it kiiinda works because of the fall of the economy.

But more my point is just how artificial and fake everything in the disney films feels. I went out of my way to say there ARE lots of issues in the prequels and you ignored it!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Where the gently caress did Sheev find enough people to crew over a thousand star destroyers? Google tells me the total crew of a star destroyer is just under 50,000 people. So, that's 50 million people. Plus all the people who built the drat things underneath the surface of the planet and the tens of thousands of cultist in the underground chamber.

I'm a long time fan of SW vehicle books but a persistent issue they've had is strange numbers of crew/number of starships. Just glancing at the SW wiki and it claims a star destroyer has 37k crew, plus 9,700 stormtroopers? And the empire had 25k star destroyers during the war? But for the battle of endor they didn't tell one star destroyer to unload their troop contingent on endor just in case? Or have 1% of their star destroyers present for what they thought would be the final battle?

Eh, dumb quibbles for soft sci-fi I know. Also wish they'd address why aside from Finn, stormtroopers never seem to have morale problems. Those guys in Mandalorian guarding isolated bases are really dedicated especially as it's not clear if they're being paid or care about the empire's ideology. Even the genetically bred for loyalty Jem'Hadar would sometimes go rogue or get bored.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think the prequels do feel artificial. To me, it's more the sequel movies feel derivative. I think the sequel films are (or two of them anyway) better films than the prequel movies, but the prequel movies are at least trying to do something new instead of retreading familiar ground.

They fail in different ways, is what I guess I'm saying.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember there was a period of about six months in 1994 where nobody talked about Star Wars at all. It was wonderful.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's damning with faint praise, but the prequels at least feel like the product of a singular and unique vision. They're the George Lucasiest things that George Lucas ever George Lucased. Which is why they suck, because no one at that point could tell George Lucas not to be George Lucas. The Disney Wars feel very much like what they are: overly reverential, reactionary, design-by-committee, unconnected, products whose existence as films feels like almost the last consideration. Check these boxes, reference these things, don't piss off the fans, extend the brand, and above all, make piles of shareholder value. I still contend that the good parts of TLJ were by far the best of the new ones because they dared to deviate from the pattern. Unfortunately, the worst parts of TLJ were godawful AND the "fan" backlash scared Disney away from ever trying anything different with the franchise ever again.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Aug 10, 2021

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Imagined posted:

It's damning with faint praise, but the prequels at least feel like the product of a singular and unique vision. They're the George Lucasiest things that George Lucas ever George Lucased. The Disney Wars feel very much like what they are: overly reverential, reactionary, design-by-committee, unconnected, products whose existence as films feels like almost the last consideration. Check these boxes, reference these things, don't piss off the fans, extend the brand, and above all, make piles of shareholder value.

Yeah, at least the prequels had some a handful of ideas and acting worth saving. Ewan McGregor was perfectly cast, same with Ian McDiarmid. The clone army kinda worked and did give us good spinoff stuff and order 66 was effective. If they had gotten a good actor for Anakin episode III could have been objectively one of the better movies of the whole franchise.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I remember there was a period of about six months in 1994 where nobody talked about Star Wars at all. It was wonderful.

The year Peter Cushing died and TIE Fighter was released?

Also Rogue One got the Star Wars look spot on baby.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

quote:

the prequels are better than the sequels

You people are insane

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still like the idea that if they're gonna go full hog with lich Palpatine they should made him a necromancer raising the wrecks of Star Destroyers, crewed by Stormtroopers with holes in their armour revealing that there's nothing inside, animated by pure Dark Side.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Push El Burrito posted:

The year Peter Cushing died and TIE Fighter was released?

Also Rogue One got the Star Wars look spot on baby.

Maybe it was 1993, don’t make me get the hose.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Imagined posted:

Unfortunately, the worst parts of TLJ were godawful AND the "fan" backlash scared Disney away from ever trying anything different with the franchise ever again.

I have hope that maybe somebody at Disney isn't completely stupid and is learning from the success of Mandalorian and Wandavision and Loki.

Although S2 of Mando ended up getting way more referential in a bad way soo maybe they're not learning anything at all.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still like the idea that if they're gonna go full hog with lich Palpatine they should made him a necromancer raising the wrecks of Star Destroyers, crewed by Stormtroopers with holes in their armour revealing that there's nothing inside, animated by pure Dark Side.

Honestly if we're going to start growing the jedi powers by letting them fly in space and survive vacuum and teleport lightsabers then we should expand the dark side powers too.

I'm here for it. A giant terracotta stormtrooper army would actually be pretty rad.

Although it does set up a very videogamey game of thrones ending where you kill Palpatine and then all the storm troopers go poof and everybody survives just on the brink of defeat which would be a beaten dead horse at this point.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Sand Monster posted:

I don't remember that being all that traumatizing for me, but I was super freaked out by that giant guy who kidnapped the kids' parents.

I just remember them killing the entire family off except for the little girl at like the start of the second Ewok movie, that seemed pretty messed up as a kid even if it wasn’t on screen death per se (think little girl had some sort of wrist device with a light for each living family member in range, and the lights went out…). Not exactly “watch Optimus Prime bite it” levels of childhood angst, but definitely unexpected for a Star Wars movie aimed at kids.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

I have hope that maybe somebody at Disney isn't completely stupid and is learning from the success of Mandalorian and Wandavision and Loki.

Although S2 of Mando ended up getting way more referential in a bad way soo maybe they're not learning anything at all.

Honestly if we're going to start growing the jedi powers by letting them fly in space and survive vacuum and teleport lightsabers then we should expand the dark side powers too.

I'm here for it. A giant terracotta stormtrooper army would actually be pretty rad.

Although it does set up a very videogamey game of thrones ending where you kill Palpatine and then all the storm troopers go poof and everybody survives just on the brink of defeat which would be a beaten dead horse at this point.
That also pretty much turns Palpatine into Darth Nihilus from KotOR 2.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Instead of having upgraded star destroyers that can destroy planets, they should have gone full ham and had them blow up one of tattoine's suns.

"Yes, these are star destroyers. Literal star destroyers."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, at least the prequels had some a handful of ideas and acting worth saving. Ewan McGregor was perfectly cast, same with Ian McDiarmid. The clone army kinda worked and did give us good spinoff stuff and order 66 was effective. If they had gotten a good actor for Anakin episode III could have been objectively one of the better movies of the whole franchise.

McDiarmid was cast for ROTJ, they just brought him back for the prequels. It's like saying Frank Oz was perfectly cast in TMP as Yoda.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sunswipe posted:

Darth Nihilus
Say what you want about the tenets of the Children of the Watch, at least it's an ethos

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

kupachek posted:

They've been available longer than that to consumers, but even over 15 years ago it was easy enough to kludge together an IR based system with off the shelf components without breaking the bank. I rigged up a set using a small JVC camcorder and diode boards as well as utilizing a flipphone with a front camera (a Motorola V360) in the same manner just prior as my initial test of the diode strength for distances. I probably still have one of the cameras and a few of the tapes in a box somewhere.

The military's over-reliance on technology is a shitstorm just waiting to happen
There is a night vision app for the nintendo switch.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Tunicate posted:

Instead of having upgraded star destroyers that can destroy planets, they should have gone full ham and had them blow up one of tattoine's suns.

"Yes, these are star destroyers. Literal star destroyers."

That's a huge aspect of all those fuckin books though in the Sun Crusher so I assume they wanted to avoid having a million dorks ask when Kyp Durron was going to show up.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just rewatched Rise of Skywalker with a friend who hadn't seen it before and it's just worse than I had remembered and I am going to rant about it.
I went in to Rise hoping for another Episode III situation, aka "yeah the previous two movies were a mess, but maybe this one will be decent enough to tie up the trilogy well enough", which Ep III did in my opinion. Then three seconds into the movie I'm taken completely out of it with PALPATINE'S BACK BABY AROOO! which is so stupid a twist I still can't believe that's what they went with.

The even worse part is that there are parts I genuinely liked! The duel by the ocean looks stylish and cool as hell, for example! Something interesting or with potential would happen, and then the movie would immediately undercut it somehow. They had Hux threaten to have a little depth to his character (he's maybe not a true believer and just wants to save his own rear end? he got pushed aside by the new kids and wants to get them back by any means? had a change of heart entirely?). Before anything can develop from this, he just gets murked and the movie moves on, never mentioning him again. Why even bother??

theironjef posted:

That's a huge aspect of all those fuckin books though in the Sun Crusher so I assume they wanted to avoid having a million dorks ask when Kyp Durron was going to show up.
A reminder that that book trilogy was written by Kevin J. Anderson. Yes, that one.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I read that comic of the Treverrow script that was floating around, and it's impressive how much better this one-man webcomic of a first draft script is than the multi million dollar movie we got. It has a bunch of dumb stuff, but actually manages to tie up all three trilogies in a vaguely satisfying way. Whereas RoS deliberately ignores 3 out of 8 preceeding movies, and spends half its run time retconning a fourth.

The Treverrow script also has Hux trying, and failing, to force-push a coin, and generally being a pathetic loser obsessed with Jedi relics. It owns.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Seriously, how many really good Star Wars have there actually been?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ESB is the only truly good one. All the others have ups and downs. But I think it's really impressive how Disney saved Rogue One and Solo from being complete clusterfucks by throwing boatloads of money at them to salvage whatever they could. I think Solo is the most expensive Star Wars made to this day.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I like all the Star Wars, but I also like a lot of bad movies.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

BiggerBoat posted:

Seriously, how many really good Star Wars have there actually been?
About half of all Star War is good.

Mu Zeta posted:

ESB is the only truly good one.
Nah. If you want to get on Martin Scorsese's high horse about what actually qualifies as :siren:cinema:siren: then probably none of them count but if you're not embarrassed to enjoy the space wizard films then Empire Strikes Back doesn't actually tower over the others, despite what Kevin Smith said about downer endings in the 90s :v:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Star Wars is fine but it would have been better if they threw that budget at Stargate instead.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Force is now essentially Superman II where Clark suddenly has the ability to project himself all Loki-style and cling wrap bad guys with his S logo. They took an already ridiculously overpowered character and kept adding unrelated stuff to it for reasons. Like surviving in the cold vacuum of space (RIP Ackar) or passing light sabers across time and space.

It's explicitly stated that the force is actually super powerful, it's just that showing it on screen tends to end up look very silly.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Things the Force is seen to do in the OT and Prequels:

- Being able to effectively "see" (or react as if you could) with your eyes closed
- Being able to fire your torpedoes more accurately than a targeting computer
- Projecting fake sounds
- Jumping 30 feet in the air
- Telekinesis
- Mind control
- Mind reading
- Taming animals
- Deflecting laser blasts with your laser sword and/or bare hands
- Survive deadly chemical weapons
- Choking people to death remotely
- Being able to USE said laser sword without chopping off your own head
- Small child winning races flying a podracer which requires reflexes faster than any normal human could do
- Completely vanishing when you die only to return as a fully-conscious ghost seemingly at-will
- Shooting lightning out of your hands
- Knowing where your enemies are from light years away after seeing one photo
- Detecting massive deaths even in hyperspace from light years away
- 50 pound, 800-year old man lifting an entire space ship, easily
- Seeing the future
- Let's not forget: cause virgin pregnancies

So yeah, it's magic. I had zero problem with the force powers they seemingly added in the newer movies.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 02:17 on Aug 11, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
People who were complaining about force healing got it wrong when they were like "what the gently caress the force can't do that". What they should have been doing* was going "what the gently caress where was that poo poo when Qui-Gonn/Padme/Anakin were being held close, breathing their last?"

*maybe they were? I dunno

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
And the worst thing about Leia being able to use the force to survive the vacuum of space was them missing the perfect dramatically appropriate moment to kill off a character whose actress had literally died.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Memento posted:

People who were complaining about force healing got it wrong when they were like "what the gently caress the force can't do that". What they should have been doing* was going "what the gently caress where was that poo poo when Qui-Gonn/Padme/Anakin were being held close, breathing their last?"

*maybe they were? I dunno

Right, same issue with the holdo maneuver. On its own, its fine, but then why has nobody used that before? And why is it not being used more after?

Jedi should be healing each other all the time if that's an advantage they have over sith/dark side. But it just comes and goes. I'm sure nobody else will ever need healing.

Force healing has been a thing in games forever, since the jedi need powers and games need balance, but games are usually dubious canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Rogue One is my favorite Star Wars movie but I'm not really a Star Wars fan.

I like that it took the incredible step of casting Alan Tudyk. More Star Wars should do that.