Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Solarin posted:

It is clear that you don't understand game development. You'll need to buy some more ships

The call is answered once they buy an Idris.

Enlightenment is achieved with Legatus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

skeletors_condom posted:

Charles Darwin's great-great-great-great grandson plays an MMO.

I think everyone in this thread can now detect a B'taak post without even reading it.

The topic is anything within the sphere of pvp or crime and the post is enormously long? You've got a B'taak on your hands.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Cutedge posted:

So I for some reason got into VR to play Elite Dangerous when Odyssey came out and now I stupidly bought into Star Citizen after looking at it for years, because a bunch of people online keep swearing that the game is real and has things now.

I make terrible decisions with my life.

Anyway I loaded it up and hit the button to go into the sandbox, and made my character with what is one of the weirdest character creation systems I have ever used, and was dropped in I guess my apartment building. Then I walked around and there were a bunch of npcs doing nothing that I can't do anything with. It is flashing literally dozens of help text things at the bottom of the screen, and I wandered around thinking that he game would have something that would allow me to fly the ship I bought to get into the game. So I took a tram to the spaceport and there is nothing there to interact with. Am I missing something? If I wanted to play a game where I walk around a city with nothing to do and npcs stand on top of each other and I can't interact with vendors, I'd play cyberpunk.

Seriously can't someone make a game that is a space world that you can fly around in just sol and fight for control of things, and take over stations or something and it's just a more fleshed out world that isn't a mile wide and an inch deep?

Thank you for funding the dream, thanks to you we get to laugh at some insane concept ship in 2-3 years.

Also it sound like you wanna play Starsector.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Tippis posted:

Hahaa! Joke's on you.
SC already fulfils those criteria by being an arms-length wide and a hair's breadth deep, and the fact that depth is measured in breadth should tell you everything you need about the mind-bogglingly inventive nature of its dimensionality.

Möbius development roadmap; also explains that wierd sense of deja-vu every "news" release :v:

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fidelitious posted:

I think everyone in this thread can now detect a B'taak post without even reading it.

The topic is anything within the sphere of pvp or crime and the post is enormously long? You've got a B'taak on your hands.

I just check the last line first, tbh.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Cutedge posted:

Seriously can't someone make a game that is a space world that you can fly around in just sol and fight for control of things, and take over stations or something and it's just a more fleshed out world that isn't a mile wide and an inch deep?

Isn't that this game?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1079620/Infinity_Battlescape/

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Isn't this just a big arena game? I'm not sure about "more fleshed out world that isn't a mile wide and an inch deep" . Funny thing is that original plan of these guys was "go anywhere in the galaxy and be anything and do anything you want". It was meant to be the ultimate space game to rule them all. Pretty strong star citizen vibes, except they somehow sobered up and went for space arena in the end

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Penitent posted:

Why do they keep making space car commercials that also bizarrely push the hilariously tired SPACE EMPIRE trope? It's like I'm watching creepy fictional propaganda for a fascist 1984-type society that shows how the ruling class live in luxury with space mansions and space yachts but the other 90% live in subjugated, fetid squalor.

um actually sweaty it's 100% an utopian democracy. they WERE fascist but then they decided to not be fascist so it's all good now.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/azLC0Xm.mp4

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Dwesa posted:

Have you been honestly impressed by future depicted in Starship Troopers movie without noticing any satire?

Why are you attacking me like this?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

[barely intelligible hollering]

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

CIG are in the process of completely rewriting the cloth and hair physics simulation for StarEngine, the number of articulated bones they have per item is frankly astounding, they have strand based hair and each strand has it's own collision detection. Considering they are simulating a massive open world environment what they are planning is mind boggling. They have waving flags and drifting cherry blossom petals on Orison which is on the largest fully simulated volumetric cloud gas planet in any game. Skyrim V is a mobile phone game in comparison.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen is the world's second strand-type game

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I've never heard anyone call it 'Skyrim V', that's not it's name.

Also that game came out in 2011 it's been ten freaking years

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Does he hide his glass in the woods?

He wood, but it's not persistent yet

no_recall posted:

Does this mean Squadron 42 is on track for release?

No, but it might be on rails if it ever does release

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Yeah the team that brought such high fidelity as the bartender that was the flagship for their AI tech and took them years to develop and doesn't really work and looks like it came out of a game from 2015. Really excited to see their individual hair strand physics tech in action.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

Yeah the team that brought such high fidelity as the bartender that was the flagship for their AI tech and took them years to develop and doesn't really work and looks like it came out of a game from 2015. Really excited to see their individual hair strand physics tech in action.

Every npc tposing on chairs with Doc Brown hair

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Goddamn, just focus efforts on making a playable space game with a basic gameplay loop. They have the (unplayably buggy) skeleton of a good game tbh. They just need to prioritize...

...is what I would say if these hacks weren't still making millions from selling jpegs and empty promises

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

BluesShaman posted:

The gently caress is wrong with you? :chloe:

I didn't want to be the first one to ask, so thank you for this.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I don't want to shame anyone for bad purchasing decisions because I've made plenty.

But if you've been following Star Citizen for years and still decide to buy in, even when they've had free fly events. I don't know what to tell you.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Dwesa posted:

Have you been honestly impressed by future depicted in Starship Troopers movie without noticing any satire?

Hey I dated a girl who liked Starship Troopers thought it was played 100% straight and how things should be.

She was hosed up, and kinda nerdy. I bet she has an Idris.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 11, 2021

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
get a fuckin refund, like now, you idiot

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

Don't listen to him, get an Idris or two.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Cutedge posted:

No. Stop buying space games.

Next question!

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Play posted:

I've never heard anyone call it 'Skyrim V', that's not it's name.

Also that game came out in 2011 it's been ten freaking years

By the time star citizer enters beta, there will be Skyrim V. Commando is just planning ahead

Popete posted:

Haven't you heard? Bartender is actually extremely fine and good, it only looks and works like complete garbage because server is super duper overworked, which will be fixed by server meshing which will be done any day now. But it won't help a bit, because that will only be static server mashing, and you need dynamic server mushing, but it will also need quanta and quasar and odin and why do I even know this poo poo

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
The hair was one of the worse aspects I remember from my one time attempting to play SC.

Everything was basically "you're a boy" kind of hair styles and I recall none of it having physics, but I could be wrong because I never saw it again once I exited the character maker finally.

Hair and cloth simulation is great and fun, but from having used it in Unreal projects I'm not sure it's ready to roll out in an MMO with-

Oh screw it. Go ahead Star Citizer. You can do it. :downs:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Can I assume that the balls on my horse will contract or drop based on the temperature outside as well?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Depends on whether that castration gameplay nutball paid your horsey a visit.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Sarsapariller posted:

No. Stop buying space games.
Never!

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

BluesShaman posted:

The gently caress is wrong with you? :chloe:

Oh, lots of things.

I think it's actually this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIn1_9YvGds

edit: Inifinitey:Battlescape actually does look neat but I shan't dare to dream

Sandweed posted:

Also it sound like you wanna play Starsector.

I might have to look.

TheAgent posted:

It just finished processing.

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 10, 2021

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Another SCAM success story

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Sammus posted:

Hey I dated a girl liked Starship Troopers thought it was played 100% straight and how things should be.

She was hosed up, and kinda nerdy. I bet she has an Idris.

Anyone who can watch the scene where the recruitment officer says "Joining up is what made me the man I am today" and then he swivels his chair and you can see he's a triple amputee and not get that it's satire is completely immune towards analysing any media they consume.

Then again I've seen a goon review of the movie where someone said that they didn't think Verhoeven was capable of satire so yeah. 🤔

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I guess I can understand not caring about the satire because it does still work well as a space war movie. But not getting it at all? That's insane.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Breetai posted:

Anyone who can watch the scene where the recruitment officer says "Joining up is what made me the man I am today" and then he swivels his chair and you can see he's a triple amputee and not get that it's satire is completely immune towards analysing any media they consume.

as a dumb kid i thought that was just a funny line designed to make rico scared / think twice

even as a dumb kid i could recognise neil patrick harris' commander outfit for what it was though

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I wish I could get to spend some time with one of these. I read that they're tremendously smart and playful. With patience I bet you could befriend one.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Mirificus posted:

they have strand based hair and each strand has it's own collision detection

This has the be the stupidest loving claim about SC tech that I’ve heard since the “millions of AIs indistinguishable from humans”.

I mean to start with, WHYYYYYYYY?!

Also something something helmet hair.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Am I stupid for not being able to finish the Starship Troopers book? I mean half the drat thing is boot camp.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Another Star Citizen video popped up on my Youtube feed, some guy scooting around Orison, or whatever the gently caress it is called. It's too bad, that this game and company is such a clusterfuck, because visually it looks pretty nice (outside of presumably being an useless non-interactive set piece).

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Bofast posted:

He wood, but it's not persistent yet

No, but it might be on rails if it ever does release

Star Citizer : Panzer Squadroon 42

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun