Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/SchaefferAustin/status/1424816604827762693?s=20

:bisonyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZmcbShMFNY

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

That reminds me, I loved the weird old PC game boxes but retailers hate fun so eventually everything standardized right before they did away with retail altogether

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They hate fun and they also hate boxes that are unusual sizes and shapes that makes them difficult to shelve, stack in warehouses, and pack efficiently into shipping space

Doesn't mean they didn't look amazing, though

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
IIRC it was driven by an EU packaging directive and then I guess that for the US market publishers thought "gently caress it this is cheaper and people still buy our games in Europe"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ohh so that's the secret of Thief audio. The project lead being being the lead, was an audio guy!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Whoa, first person Dino Crisis?!

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Trespasser without an unworkable gimmick, and big technical issues?

There were some attempts to make a Jurassic Park Far Cry mod, and I don’t think any of them ever got close to really releasing anything. The base game was already halfway there, and if Universal has any sense they would have hired someone to bang out a commercial game in a year.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Deakul posted:

Whoa, first person Dino Crisis?!

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Here's the extended gameplay clip they posted in april

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3rUSypmN6o

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Casimir Radon posted:

Trespasser without an unworkable gimmick, and big technical issues?

There were some attempts to make a Jurassic Park Far Cry mod, and I don’t think any of them ever got close to really releasing anything. The base game was already halfway there, and if Universal has any sense they would have hired someone to bang out a commercial game in a year.

IIRC Far Cry actually started as some dinosaur jungle tech demo

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

david_a posted:

IIRC Far Cry actually started as some dinosaur jungle tech demo

Pretty much. They made a tech demo called X-Isle: Dinosaur Island to show off this fancy engine they had made. Nvidia really liked it because of how it showed off the latest and greatest Geforce capabilities, and licensed it as a benchmark tool to be packed in with the graphics cards. With that backing, they started making a cyberpunk FPS that was featured in the Nvidia booth at the subsequent E3, which (along with X-Isle) caught the eye of Ubisoft. The FPS never went anywhere, but they were contracted by Ubisoft to expand X-Isle into a full game, and a couple of years of revising and mixing and matching ideas resulted in Far Cry.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Alright how many copies of DOOM do you all have?

I just bought the DOOM Franchise Bundle on Steam with the QuakeCon sale to get DOOM Eternal for when the Deck comes out. That makes the third time I've purchased DOOM/II/64/3 in the past two years. Plus I have my original DOS copies and the GBA cart.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I was waiting for somebody who knows more about the movie to post this, but here's something I saw in the movie poster thread:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I just bought the DOOM Franchise Bundle on Steam with the QuakeCon sale to get DOOM Eternal for when the Deck comes out. That makes the third time I've purchased DOOM/II/64/3 in the past two years. Plus I have my original DOS copies and the GBA cart.

I only officially bought Doom on pc this year.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Here's the extended gameplay clip they posted in april

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3rUSypmN6o

Swimming textures is by fat the dumbest of nostalgiabaits. It looked like poo poo then, it looks like poo poo now. :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mordja posted:

Swimming textures is by fat the dumbest of nostalgiabaits. It looked like poo poo then, it looks like poo poo now. :colbert:

Counterpoint: its the best

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mordja posted:

I never even had a PS1 but I think it looks cool in some cases.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Swimming Textures: Out
Floating Vertices: In

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ookiimarukochan posted:

IIRC it was driven by an EU packaging directive and then I guess that for the US market publishers thought "gently caress it this is cheaper and people still buy our games in Europe"
The story as told to Romero was that the standardization and extinction of the big box was driven by GT Interactive, who were the only distributor of games that Walmart worked with at the time, and their efforts to keep Walmart happy and PC games on shelves.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Counting physical and digital...

-Doom Trilogy (Doom 95 CD release and Master Levels)
-Steam
-GOG
-Xbox 360 digital and the ones that came with Doom 3 BFG on the DVD
-PS4

Steam includes old releases and new and Doom 64. PS4 is Doom I/II and 64.

As for other Doom games...

Doom 3:
Original PC CD, Steam (original and BFG), Xbox360 (physical BFG) and PS4 (digital).

Doom 2016: PC Steam and PS4 (digital and physical).

Doom Eternal: PC Steam and PS4 physical.

:shepspends:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

A.o.D. posted:

Swimming Textures: Out
Floating Vertices: In

Can't wait for the next nostalgia movement, which will presumably be the early 3D accelerator era. Fuzzy texels the size of post-it notes with three different garish lights shining on them

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

haveblue posted:

Can't wait for the next nostalgia movement, which will presumably be the early 3D accelerator era. Fuzzy texels the size of post-it notes with three different garish lights shining on them
Giving the hardcore lust for coloured lighting in some circles of GZDoom mapping I can totally see this happening.

Speaking of GZDoom mods, Action Doom 2 Reloaded is out! It fixes everything up for modern versions of GZDoom and Zandronum, overhauls the combat system, adds co-op support and replaces some of the more, shall we say, dated attempts at humor with the ability to beat up the composer.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

The story as told to Romero was that the standardization and extinction of the big box was driven by GT Interactive, who were the only distributor of games that Walmart worked with at the time, and their efforts to keep Walmart happy and PC games on shelves.

This article goes a bit into the history of how big boxes died out, as well as showing some very cool examples and profiling one of the more prolific packaging designers: https://obscuritory.com/essay/incredible-boxes-of-hock-wah-yeo/

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm a huge weirdo who owns the big box originals and so refuses to pay for digital versions. I copied the floppies to images and also archived a fresh install so can I just pull the wads out when needed. I do own doom 64 on Steam though

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

This article goes a bit into the history of how big boxes died out, as well as showing some very cool examples and profiling one of the more prolific packaging designers: https://obscuritory.com/essay/incredible-boxes-of-hock-wah-yeo/

This was an excellent click. It led me to google "Factory Pomo" which brought me to this great Twitter thread about 80's/90's design aesthetics: https://twitter.com/KaiserBeamz/status/1249028642212122627

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Doom Eternal: Steam

Doom (2016): Xbone physical, Switch physical, Steam

Doom 3: CD-ROM (preordered at Best Buy), Steam (BFG and regular), OG Xbox (steel book w/slipcase), Xbox360 physical (BFG), Switch digital

Doom 64: Switch digital, Bethesda.net

Doom II: 5 circa-1995 AOL floppies with the label torn off, Switch digital, Steam, Bethesda.net, copy included with Xbox Doom 3, copy included with Xbox360 Doom 3 BFG

Doom/Ultimate Doom: 3 circa-1995 AOL floppies with the label torn off, Steam, Switch digital, Bethesda.net, copy included with Xbox Doom 3, copy included with Xbox360 Doom 3 BFG, PlayStation Doom in a longbox

I got the original Xbox version of Doom 3 off eBay a while back and got really lucky - it had clearly spent its life sitting unused on a shelf and was immaculate. Just a really nice physical copy of that without the BFG changes. The longbox copy of Playstation Doom was at the local game store and I paid some dumb amount for it ($40?) just to have it. Love the cover art, love that that version is a little weird with the different music and colored lighting.

It kills me that Switch Doom 2016 is one of those "you gotta download stuff" carts but at least they used the good cover art for it, unlike the other consoles that made you flip it.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 11, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Random thought, but isn't it wild that the Halo games are the last real arena shooters with their rotating game modes, weapon pickups and powerups.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

c0burn posted:

I'm a huge weirdo who owns the big box originals and so refuses to pay for digital versions. I copied the floppies to images and also archived a fresh install so can I just pull the wads out when needed.
So I did this too. After 20 years of not (re)buying DOOM, I did buy DOOM (2016) for the Switch when that came out. Then I bought the Unity ports for the Switch along with DOOM 64/3 when those were released. Then I preoredered LRG Classics Collection with the first three games on cart because that's awesome. Then I picked up the DOOM 64 physical release in Best Buy to "round out the shelf" even though I never do that.

I've been waiting on picking up DOOM Eternal for Bethesda to announce a physical release for the Switch. But then Valve came out and announced the Steam Deck which will obviously play DOOM Eternal better than the Switch, so I picked up the entire franchise on Steam. Now it's a race to see who will ship first, LRG's Classics Collection or the Steam Deck.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

Random thought, but isn't it wild that the Halo games are the last real arena shooters with their rotating game modes, weapon pickups and powerups.

First, it's because Halo isn't only an arena shooter. For some people is all about the campaign, and coop.

Second, in some ways it's because Microsoft and Halo fans still grasp to the idea of Halo being their juggernaut, their big name that is the representation of the Xbox console, reminiscing the times of Halo 1/2 where they were in fact a big share of the total online share, so they give it a unrestricted amount of resources; even if in reality the Halo ip is now nowhere as relevant as Halo 1/2 were then, now it's about CoD, Fornite, PUBG, GTA5 online, Apex Legends, etc .

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Kins posted:

Speaking of GZDoom mods, Action Doom 2 Reloaded is out! It fixes everything up for modern versions of GZDoom and Zandronum, overhauls the combat system, adds co-op support and replaces some of the more, shall we say, dated attempts at humor with the ability to beat up the composer.

Whoa! Checking that out for sure. I remember liking AD1 a bit more since it was more straightforward, but maybe some of the overhauls will smooth over the jank of first-person melee.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mordja posted:

I think what helped Halo's longevity in that regard is how much simpler it is to pick up compared to most Arena Shooters before it, well that and making things like vehicles a core component of its design

Also Splitgate is turning out to be a rather nice clone of Halo MP with some twists of it's own

Turin Turambar posted:

First, it's because Halo isn't only an arena shooter. For some people is all about the campaign, and coop.

Second, in some ways it's because Microsoft and Halo fans still grasp to the idea of Halo being their juggernaut, their big name that is the representation of the Xbox console, reminiscing the times of Halo 1/2 where they were in fact a big share of the total online share, so they give it a unrestricted amount of resources; even if in reality the Halo ip is now nowhere as relevant as Halo 1/2 were then, now it's about CoD, Fornite, PUBG, GTA5 online, Apex Legends, etc .

Maybe not to the heights of those days but Halo does seem to be experiencing a resurgence ever since they fixed up the MCC to be actually good and Halo Infinite seems to have some decent hype behind it too

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

my first legit copy i bought as part of the “id software super pack” on steam around 2007, which included doom 1, 2, final doom, and doom 3. definitely got a lot of mileage out of that one. i also bought doom classic on iphone back in 2009, which has since been converted into the 25th anniversary version and joined by doom 2. i also own all six games on switch

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I got Wolfenstein 3D on a copied floppy from a computer touched my dad knew and it owned.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
When my dad replaced our Apple IIc with a 486 from a local shop (with a color monitor!), it came preloaded with a bunch of shareware and a DOS shell menu it would boot into. We all, as a family, experienced Wolfenstein 3D with no idea whatsoever what it would be. I'd never seen my mom so simultaneously horrified and powerless to stop something.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I don't know what she expected the game warns you that it CONTAINS PROFOUMD CARMAGE

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

When my dad replaced our Apple IIc with a 486 from a local shop (with a color monitor!), it came preloaded with a bunch of shareware and a DOS shell menu it would boot into. We all, as a family, experienced Wolfenstein 3D with no idea whatsoever what it would be. I'd never seen my mom so simultaneously horrified and powerless to stop something.

Well, learning about the grim reality of Nazi prisons will do that to you

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

TheScott2K posted:

This was my mom when my dad first bought Redneck Rampage lmao

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I bought Doom II within a week of getting our first family PC in 1995, and bought Ultimate Doom the next year. That's... actually it, outside of the copy that came with BFG Edition. A while back I installed Doom II within DOSBox, ran the v1.7a->1.9 patch, and have kept it with my other WADs in a folder on my OneDrive ever since. I can rationalize buying something like Operation Body Count because I only ever saw a boxed copy once in a Target bargain bin, and didn't pick it up, but Doom's in my blood, and it's not difficult to have it on hand. Have WAD, will travel.

But if we're talking movies, I must have bought The Thing five or six times.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I have the Steam and BFG Edition and I guess Doom Eternal releases of the wads, but I still use the ones from my Ultimate Doom/Doom II for Windows 95 discs because they are unaltered.

Like I get why the Red Cross shouldn't be used outside of its authorized uses, and why games that misused it shouldn't be sold in that form anymore, but there isn't any harm in using the original for personal use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i had big box versions of doom 2 and ultimate doom... and then i think the next time i bought em was part of an id mega bundle sale on steam years ago