Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

drat you, wumpus! :argh:

Such fond memories of screwing around on my best friend's TI-99/4a after school. I loved all the voice synthesis, especially in Alpiner (the snarky comments: "Walked right into that one." "Did you mean to do that?"), and making the command-prompt voice synthesizer say "xxxxxxxxx" ("ksiksiksiksiksiksiksiksi...").

This reminded me of how I spent all of 3rd period math in high school for an entire year programming a text version of final fantasy 1 into a TI-86 calculator lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This reminded me of how I spent all of 3rd period math in high school for an entire year programming a text version of final fantasy 1 into a TI-86 calculator lol

I spent an absolutely ungodly amount of time on my TI-83+. It's how I got into programming, which ended up turning into a career. All from stick figure murder animations and bad text adventures.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I spent an absolutely ungodly amount of time on my TI-83+. It's how I got into programming, which ended up turning into a career. All from stick figure murder animations and bad text adventures.

:same:

I was so bored in math class I figured out how to program things like equation solvers. My math teacher found out and didn't really want to penalize me since I obviously understood the material well enough to write the things. He ended up bringing in some of his old college textbooks and gave me separate assignments to keep me occupied.

Then I discovered the 000 section at the library and taught myself C++. I had zero plans to make a career out of it, I just wanted to build robots and program their microcontrollers, but it saved my rear end when I graduated into the economic implosion of 2008.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Cable Guy posted:

Champagne Blast...?

Really...?

Nope, it's from LiarTownUSA.

https://liartownusa.com/competing-colonics-storefronts/

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Cocaine Bear posted:

The new bread fad is French Reverse Atkins. I tried it, but it was a pain in the rear end.

Pages ago (I'm behind), but I just want you to know that, however labored this pun was, it was heard.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I remember my babysitter's family had a Vic-20 and I vaguely recall some text based adventure games. One with Dracula, and one was a more generic fantasy game.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

spookygonk posted:

There was a computer TV show in the UK (1990's?) that would broadcast a small computer program though the TV screen. If you had some sort of optical sensor attached to your Amiga/Atari/??? you'd place it over the highlighted circle and download the program. Haven't been able to find the TV show as yet.

Was it Bad Influence?

https://youtu.be/0RqQFWvhPbo

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hirayuki posted:

drat you, wumpus! :argh:

Such fond memories of screwing around on my best friend's TI-99/4a after school. I loved all the voice synthesis, especially in Alpiner (the snarky comments: "Walked right into that one." "Did you mean to do that?"), and making the command-prompt voice synthesizer say "xxxxxxxxx" ("ksiksiksiksiksiksiksiksi...").

It might blow your mind here, but other kids made it say that because it sounded like 'sex' repeated over and over again.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

My neighborhood pirate had a tape system for his wares, which was VHS based. Basically, a VCR + an interface to plug into his Amiga.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Code Jockey posted:

Why in the hell did I never think to put my old C64 tape games in my stereo as a kid? :doh:
The Warcraft 2 expansion CD would play music when put in a regular CD player. It would play the soundtrack, and because it was the 90s there was a hidden track.
https://youtu.be/TknF4UODXCc

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

CannonFodder posted:

The Warcraft 2 expansion CD would play music when put in a regular CD player. It would play the soundtrack, and because it was the 90s there was a hidden track.

Symphony of the Night did this as well, even had Alucard hassle you for doing it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sonic R was a much better album than it was a game

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

flavor.flv posted:

Sonic R was a much better album than it was a game

Same with Doom 2016, tbf.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Shades of the 2000's front pages!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zil posted:

Symphony of the Night did this as well, even had Alucard hassle you for doing it.

"This is a Playstation black disc..."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you won't believe what happens when you put one of these in your laserdisc player

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Most classic CD-based games (especially PS1 games) had the music stored as audio on tracks 2 and up, with the game data on track 1. I remember occasionally games that would still play if you removed the CD mid-game but the music would cut out.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Baron von Eevl posted:

Most classic CD-based games (especially PS1 games) had the music stored as audio on tracks 2 and up, with the game data on track 1. I remember occasionally games that would still play if you removed the CD mid-game but the music would cut out.
Certain PS1 games you could do a switcheroo after the game is loaded and make it play different music based on what track it streamed audio from.

I remember that working for sure in Sledstorm, although I don't know why youd want to play anything else but Dragula. Maybe sub in the normal version of Dragula.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Zil posted:

A miserable pile of celibacy

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

zedprime posted:

Certain PS1 games you could do a switcheroo after the game is loaded and make it play different music based on what track it streamed audio from.

I remember that working for sure in Sledstorm, although I don't know why youd want to play anything else but Dragula. Maybe sub in the normal version of Dragula.

Swap it with the Twisted Metal 3 disc then.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I kept the PS1 Wipeout disk in the CD case in my car.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Phoneposting, apologies if huge

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I like the warning Seaman gives you when you put it in a CD player.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYPVaBDgCvE

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Hindfulness

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

seeing this word here I am surprised I don't remember reading it in a ringworld novel

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
They say that hindfulling is in
and i tried it, didn't like it
but you did and now your butt's full
:guitar:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Robobot posted:

That soundtrack is one of the pivotal techno albums of the 90's.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Android Apocalypse posted:

I still have the song "Messij" in a few of my playlists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uQnXvRndcE

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

bike tory posted:

This is an Olympic sports team. Whether you like it or not, this is what peak performance looks like:

when you only have enough gold to buy gear for half of your party

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

this is cracking me up :lol:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

I really miss when Blizzard could at least say they made good products and wasn't just a scummy corporate hive of misogynist bullshit

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Baron von Eevl posted:

Leaving the Prodigy's Fat of the Land in my cd drive by accident and booting up Mechwarrior 2 was transcendent.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

mind the walrus posted:

I really miss when Blizzard could at least say they made good products and wasn't just a scummy corporate hive of misogynist bullshit

Also I want to know what the gently caress happened with their art direction. It takes such a hard downward turn after SC1.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
https://twitter.com/JesusFChristo/status/1424925143143313411?s=20

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Robobot posted:

I still have Wipeout 3: Special Edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEx62tqsHDY

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

PittTheElder posted:

Also I want to know what the gently caress happened with their art direction. It takes such a hard downward turn after SC1.

We should've realised something was up when they fired their Art Director and hired a Chief Pauldrons Officer

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Paladinus posted:

It might blow your mind here, but other kids made it say that because it sounded like 'sex' repeated over and over again.
We just made it say "sexsexsexsexsex" for that, gosh!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Android Apocalypse posted:

excuse me, king, you dropped this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
No sound, unfortunately.

https://i.imgur.com/z720QWg.mp4