Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So I definitely got something new from Printed Solid they aren't offering yet and have asked for my feedback.

It's labeled "Jessie 2.0", and I'm going to give it a try after i burn out what's left of my old stuff, I found settings that play finally, if only barely.

Any suggestions for test/calibration/etc prints? After a temperature tower to see where it likes to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Deviant posted:

So I definitely got something new from Printed Solid they aren't offering yet and have asked for my feedback.

It's labeled "Jessie 2.0", and I'm going to give it a try after i burn out what's left of my old stuff, I found settings that play finally, if only barely.

Any suggestions for test/calibration/etc prints? After a temperature tower to see where it likes to live.

Benchy 100%

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Yeah it’s weird. I early on downloaded tons of different test prints but I always fall back on 3 of them:
- an x/y alignment piece for fine tuning dual nozzle alignment
-a square target for confirming the above, making sure there’s no overlaps
-Benchy boat

And the first two are homemade, and not really about print quality.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
this one is nice for testing out new filaments, especially the overhang and bridging test.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2806295

there was a micro version by the same creator, which didnt waste as much space for labeling, but it seems to be gone

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Dr Sun Try posted:

this one is nice for testing out new filaments, especially the overhang and bridging test.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2806295

there was a micro version by the same creator, which didnt waste as much space for labeling, but it seems to be gone

I have this, I actually have the micro as well saved locally. No idea where it went.

I forgot all the gently caress about benchy though, lol. Blocked it out of my brain after my last printer wouldnt play~

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

The wiffle bat handle project is going well.

I added a 60 degree chamfer to the weak point and cut the same angle from the bat so it fits together nicely. I printed the part with ASA, oriented sideways as was discussed.

It is crazy how much stronger it is this way. It held up to a whole day of mashing wiffle balls, no problem. Long term durability is still in question but I am happy with it so far.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dr Sun Try posted:

there was a micro version by the same creator

There is this remix of it, but it's not by the same author. Are you sure this isn't what you're thinking of?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2972495

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

biracial bear for uncut posted:

There is this remix of it, but it's not by the same author. Are you sure this isn't what you're thinking of?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2972495

No, I know the one he means. It's linked from the mini page, but the link 404s.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2975429

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have rotated from printing 4 foot long sailboats, to highly specialized Brio-compatible train stuff for my nephew

We have got all the ramps and elevated track

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hadlock posted:

I have rotated from printing 4 foot long sailboats, to highly specialized Brio-compatible train stuff for my nephew

We have got all the ramps and elevated track

I would've loved that as a kid, there were only so many tracks I could build with the wood ones.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thingverse has an alarming selection of T, r, K, W connectors and six/eight way intersections, plus an assortment of real and sci-fi tunnels, bridges, elevated track supports etc

Nephew used to hate coming over to be babysat at our house once a week, now I like to pull the stuff out and build poo poo with it :dance:

Brio charges $20 for a 4 pack of long straight track section so it's nice to just print your own for pennies. I have a gcode file for FIVE long track segment, uses 158g of filament, so about $1.58 for five or 31¢ ea

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Back in the 90s my dad made a router table specifically to cut more brio tracks. They were a very popular gift.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

Back in the 90s my dad made a router table specifically to cut more brio tracks. They were a very popular gift.

That's amazing :sun:

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

I have a Prusa i3 MK3S+ and it's been great. Maybe a little too great, because I can't take six steps in my house without my three kids placing orders for another fifteen hours of printed toys. This remains cheaper than buying shitloads of Disney Doorables and LOL dolls, so I'm mostly amenable to the current situation. I also love tinkering, upgrading, iterating, and generally loving around, and after mulling it over for a few days, I placed an order for an Ender 3 v2 as a second printer/upgrade project. I don't expect it to be nearly as hassle-free as my Prusa; I don't think I want it to be. Other than snagging the MMU 2/S one of these days, I feel like the Prusa's sort of perfect for my needs, and I'd like to always have a dependable printer. Maybe the way to say it is that the Prusa is a tool, but I also want a toy. The Prusa is my minivan, the Ender will be my Miata. Or my Jeep.

The upgraded springs are on order, but otherwise I plan to print with it mostly stock for a little while before I start loving with things. Owing to coupon tomfoolery, I've got Creality's all-metal hot-end coming with it at a cost of -$1 (negative one dollar, they are paying me to take it), so I'll probably swap that in after a little while. Long-term I'm thinking a MicroSwiss direct drive system, maybe replace the glass bed with a magnetic PEI kit, etc.

I'm not really looking for validation of my choice (though if there's something horribly wrong with my "get a cheap second printer and gently caress around with it" plan, please point it out). Mostly I just wanted to say, 3D printing is awesome and a terribly gratifying hobby.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I have an ender 5 plus and it is easy and hassle free for the most part.

BrownClown
Dec 7, 2007

Will rap for smash leaks
Does anyone have experience with the Voxelab Aquila? Or the X2? Thoughts?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

becoming posted:

The Prusa is my minivan, the Ender will be my Miata. Or my Jeep.
Ender's more MG than miata.

I recognize from your post that your idea of fun may be what I'd describe as frustration. The Ender 3 is designed with low-cost as one of its primary requirements. It's capable of good quality prints.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 10, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I mean, OP could throw all the Ender's bracketry in the garbage and 3d print new brackets and frankenstein himself a 3d printer out of the extrusions and electronics, but gently caress if I'd have the patience for it.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Dominoes posted:

Ender's more MG than miata.

I recognize from your post that your idea of fun may be what I'd describe as frustration. The Ender 3 is designed with low-cost as one of its primary requirements. It's capable of good quality prints.

You are right that my Miata has needed basically no tinkering, though to be fair I just meant it more as "the Ender 3 is for fun and for upgrading"; still, I think your MG comparison is probably more apt, I just don't currently own an MG, whereas I do own a Miata and a Jeep (and an Odyssey, three kids and all). But to the point, I think I'm okay with the idea of an MG, printer-wise; I've owned five different European cars and every one of them has had electrical issues that needed near-constant troubleshooting. My 1984 Volvo 242 Turbo went through a phase where the right turn signal - but only the right - would cause the engine to cut out. Yay tinkering!

I did read through the whole thread before posting, and saw that you dumpster'd your Ender 3. I hate to see functional electronics tossed, but it sounds like yours was not particularly functional! I am hoping that mine fares slightly better. I do intend to tinker with it, but I also intend to print up more toys, so at the end of the day I want it to mostly work.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Deviant posted:

No, I know the one he means. It's linked from the mini page, but the link 404s.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2975429

Yeah, that was the one. Just has a smaller footprint than the mini.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have maybe 300 hours on my Ender 3 V2, I can't ever see spending the money for a Prusa

Looking at getting an Ender Extender kit to move my E3 V2 to a 400x400 build area. Even with my newer 4.2' model boat, I'm rapidly running out of deck space for solar panels etc being limited to a ~8.25" boat width, as well as not being able to pack a lot of internal ballast, and between the servos, three(!!!) different radios it's too cramped to tweak and tinker. Moving to a wider boat should allow me to put 10w of solar. Right now I'm going to struggle to put 6w, and all the components are just crammed inside the hull which makes it impossible to service. The OG boat is 6" wide and just lol to work on

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I have maybe 300 hours on my Ender 3 V2, I can't ever see spending the money for a Prusa

If I didn't buy a Prusa then how would I brag about having a Prusa?

No but seriously, I like reading about folks that don't hate their Ender 3 v2. I'm going into this with eyes wide open, expecting that it will be fiddly, but there is a part of me that knows this could be a terrible idea. Other than the bed-leveling springs, what changes should I realistically expect to make before I'm cranking out toys for the kiddos with pretty reasonable quality? They aren't picky about a little elephant's foot, but I don't want to burn my house down either. I bought this kit with the expectation that it was all I'd need to do day-one, but if there's something else you'd highly recommend I'd sure like to hear about it.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
Only thing I recommend for an ender is the silent board (which the v2 has) and harder springs.

I have been using my ender3 with those upgrades for 1 year plus.*
The only other thing I changed was the hot end, but that was because I physically broke mine.

You should look into the wires from the power supply to the board. Iirc they are tinned wires, which can be a fire hazard in the long term. Crimping them instead would be good.

* I also have a bltouch. Do not get a bltouch.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

becoming posted:

No but seriously, I like reading about folks that don't hate their Ender 3 v2. I'm going into this with eyes wide open, expecting that it will be fiddly, but there is a part of me that knows this could be a terrible idea. Other than the bed-leveling springs, what changes should I realistically expect to make before I'm cranking out toys for the kiddos with pretty reasonable quality? They aren't picky about a little elephant's foot, but I don't want to burn my house down either. I bought this kit with the expectation that it was all I'd need to do day-one, but if there's something else you'd highly recommend I'd sure like to hear about it.

I like mine, but I may also be too much of a newcomer to understand how far other printers have come. PETG gives me loving fits on this thing, but I gather sometimes there are just dud rolls.

definitely check out the tinned wires thing, and videos on how to tell what you're looking at. I still have to fix mine, but I just moved so... no time

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

becoming posted:

You are right that my Miata has needed basically no tinkering, though to be fair I just meant it more as "the Ender 3 is for fun and for upgrading"; still, I think your MG comparison is probably more apt, I just don't currently own an MG, whereas I do own a Miata and a Jeep (and an Odyssey, three kids and all). But to the point, I think I'm okay with the idea of an MG, printer-wise; I've owned five different European cars and every one of them has had electrical issues that needed near-constant troubleshooting. My 1984 Volvo 242 Turbo went through a phase where the right turn signal - but only the right - would cause the engine to cut out. Yay tinkering!

I did read through the whole thread before posting, and saw that you dumpster'd your Ender 3. I hate to see functional electronics tossed, but it sounds like yours was not particularly functional! I am hoping that mine fares slightly better. I do intend to tinker with it, but I also intend to print up more toys, so at the end of the day I want it to mostly work.
It sounds like you know what you're getting into, and this is the right path. Something fundamental to why I tossed an Ender, and am not discouraging you from buying it: Your Prusa is your tool (STS), and you're buying a toy. The 3d printer is a tool for me, and I wanted something that works reliably, without much intervention.

edit: A 2006 miata was my first car. Drove the hell out of it for 7 years; sold before moving overseas, and miss it.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 10, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

becoming posted:

That kit ought to be fine. I also swapped out the firmware for... Jasper/Marlin? I dunno, I linked to it, you can find it somewhere, has a lot of QoL improvements for bed leveling etc

Also maybe consider some extra 0.4mm nozzles, I used one to draw like a crayon on my print bed during a leveling exercise, it didn't work very well after that

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Hamburlgar posted:

That encouraging to hear. From what I’ve been reading, the current Troodons are now shipping with a cloned BMG direct drive extruder.

Update on the Vivedino Troodon. I installed the direct drive extruder upgrade and the high flow mosquito hot end and the printer works way better now. Printing PETG is painless and I get very little stringing or blobs. With the original bowden setup I had stringing problems even with PLA.

The direct drive extruder is a must have for this printer. From the website it looks like all new printers will be shipping with the upgraded direct drive.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Dominoes posted:

you're buying a toy

LOL

I use an Ender 3 Pro in a production environment. It runs prototype/stand-in parts for custom avionics installations in aircraft, and is actually doing so right this very moment. There's nothing toy-like about it. It's a working machine and it never fails to deliver.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

:eng101: they are all toys

mewse
May 2, 2006

Acid Reflux posted:

LOL

I use an Ender 3 Pro in a production environment. It runs prototype/stand-in parts for custom avionics installations in aircraft, and is actually doing so right this very moment. There's nothing toy-like about it. It's a working machine and it never fails to deliver.

What filament are you running?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

mewse posted:

What filament are you running?
Usually just some generic PLA. It's not stuff that stays in the planes, it's just for test fits and whatnot before we finalize the designs and then machine or otherwise manufacture the real parts.

Also, just found out that the Ender 3 Pro is on sale at Newegg for $119 right now. I don't even have anywhere to put another one at the moment but I ordered one anyway.

https://www.newegg.com/p/288-00B4-00039?Item=9SIAXGKDY94393&cm_sp=SH-_-626113-_-8-_-2-_-9SIAXGKDY94393-_-ender+3+pro-_-3%7Cender%7Cpro-_-1

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 11, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Dominoes posted:

Your Prusa is your tool (STS), and you're buying a toy.

lol

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Total accident

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

becoming posted:

They're honestly not that fiddly. I've got three Ender 3s (two v2s and an original) that run almost constantly doing paid work for me. I haven't touched them to mess with anything in forever and I'm in the habit of walking away without even watching the first layer go down. That first V2 must have easily over 1000 hours of actual work on it at this point.

Better springs, better PTFE tubing, and a metal extruder. That's what you need and that kit includes them all. The really important thing is to be super loving anal about your assembly. I like this guy's video a lot, he goes over a lot of the pain points that can cause a ton of frustration later on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTN6jtB5mqk

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I too run a small farm 24/7 that’s made up of 5x Ender 3’s (2x E3 Pro, 3x E3 V2) each generating ~$50/24hr.

Stiffer springs, metal extruder and Capricorn tubing are the must haves. I’d also recommend the ‘Hot End Fix’ to help prevent leaks around the hot end caused by the Bowden working itself loose in the heater block.

A Springsteel removable bed with a TH3D EZMat is something I’d highly recommend for ease of removing prints, especially ones with larger footprints.

The stock glass bed is awesome, as prints stick like hot poo poo to a diaper, but removing them can be just a difficult.

In my use case, I don’t have the time/space to put 5 glass beds in the freezer with 200mm wide print still stuck to them.

As mad as it sounds, I’m considering buying a couple Ender 5 Plus’ for larger prints rather than going the Prusa route for my next few printers.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Hamburlgar posted:

I too run a small farm 24/7 that’s made up of 5x Ender 3’s (2x E3 Pro, 3x E3 V2) each generating ~$50/24hr.

Stiffer springs, metal extruder and Capricorn tubing are the must haves. I’d also recommend the ‘Hot End Fix’ to help prevent leaks around the hot end caused by the Bowden working itself loose in the heater block.

A Springsteel removable bed with a TH3D EZMat is something I’d highly recommend for ease of removing prints, especially ones with larger footprints.

The stock glass bed is awesome, as prints stick like hot poo poo to a diaper, but removing them can be just a difficult.

In my use case, I don’t have the time/space to put 5 glass beds in the freezer with 200mm wide print still stuck to them.

As mad as it sounds, I’m considering buying a couple Ender 5 Plus’ for larger prints rather than going the Prusa route for my next few printers.

Out of curiosity, how do you go about running your farm business wise? Are you listing yourself as a local printshop, going Etsy, some other service?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I’m a glassblower by trade, so I’ve designed a bunch of things that pair up nicely with the glass pieces that I make and sell. The printed things are an easy up-sell to headshops that are already buying my glass art.

So I mainly wholesale, but I have a Big Cartel that I link to on my Instagram page as well as an Etsy page for those juicy retail sales.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

Out of curiosity, how do you go about running your farm business wise? Are you listing yourself as a local printshop, going Etsy, some other service?

There's a link to an unmoderated Google doc on the first page of this thread with some commercial goon offerings, if you're interested

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
The best feeling with 3d printing, is when you're watching the printer go, and can ~see~ the spool turn. With my current bed load, I'm doing around 9cubic milimeters a second, and spinning that spool at 1/3 of a RPM.

This is your reminder, test your printer, test it's limits. Find where it fails. You don't need to ~fix~ those things, but know where you can go. Living at 20-30-40mm/s becasue "it's always worked" is not the way to be in this hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Hamburlgar posted:

This seems totally reasonable to me depending on your use case. The original Ender 3 in my farm was basically free, but I bought my second v2 mostly because "cheap, reliable enough, will mostly pay for itself almost immediately" drastically outclassed any advantages I could imagine from a more expensive printer. I'm probably going to add two more v2s to my farm in the near future unless something new comes along that's equally cheap and reliable as a workhorse.