Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

These are the ones i'm talking about

The poor goofy bastard emits strong Adventure People vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

The Last Call posted:

Even better, we have pictures of the original design with the skull showing:

It is pretty creepy.

Just to be clear, the image above isn't an alternate form, that is indeed the final costume just without the translucent dome installed. It's never really visible in the film, but the skull is there.

(Sorry if you already knew this, but it's a common misconception).

The previous post mentioning a transparent alien that you would be able to see a vague hint of a human form within is most likely referring to this prototype (Edit: Er, reading that post again maybe this wasn't what he was referring to after all, but hey)

Decades later somebody found what was left of that suit in storage and it was put up for auction.

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 10, 2021

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

The poor goofy bastard emits strong Adventure People vibes

Adventure People VS Aliens.

Duplo VS Aliens.

Little Duplo Facehuggers :3:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sentinel Red posted:

The mouth on this guy makes it look nerdy and gormless as gently caress. Its like Urkel got facehugged or something.

:biglips:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Just to be clear, the image above isn't an alternate form, that is indeed the final costume just without the translucent dome installed. It's never really visible in the film, but the skull is there.

(Sorry if you already knew this, but it's a common misconception).

The previous post mentioning a transparent alien that you would be able to see a vague hint of a human form within is most likely referring to this prototype (Edit: Er, reading that post again maybe this wasn't what he was referring to after all, but hey)

Decades later somebody found what was left of that suit in storage and it was put up for auction.

Correct!

Learning about the skull years ago was like I stumbled upon detail that was never often mentioned at the time. Amazingly it's only slightly better known today.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

This is the first I'm hearing of these so called "skulls" :confused:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fun fact: the PredAlien in AvP Requiem had a Predator skull under its dome, you just can’t really see it because the movie is so loving dark.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Biplane posted:

This is the first I'm hearing of these so called "skulls" :confused:

Scroll up and look at the last page for images and discussion.

Original alien look with the skull showing:

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 10, 2021

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

madeintaipei posted:

Adventure People VS Aliens.

Duplo VS Aliens.

Little Duplo Facehuggers :3:

Aww, hi lil' buddy! Xeno's all 'pspspsps'

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/woofknight/status/1425217924445442051

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The Last Call posted:

sorry, i was trying to be funny :cabot:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Biplane posted:

sorry, i was trying to be funny :cabot:

That's fine, now come look at this giant slimy egg shaped thing I found and tell me what you see.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Not that I don't appreciate the effort, but I'm surprised the sequels all continued with the translucent dome when the effect is almost never visible on-screen and even when it is my eyes tend to register it as a sheen across the surface rather than something we're seeing beneath the skin. I believe the first film is the only one to articulate the skull's eyes and nose, but they honestly could've saved themselves the trouble completely and gone straight for an opaque smooth dome head.

Exception, of course, for the Aliens variant which ditched the dome completely to expose those gnarly ridges underneath.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The Last Call posted:

That's fine, now come look at this giant slimy egg shaped thing I found and tell me what you see.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

This is the most disturbing thing ITT.

I love it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

A- dorable

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Last Call posted:

So it's a bone shaped like a human head? Creepy.
I do not like the air sac boobs.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
How the gently caress is there not a gif of the part in Alien 3 where one of the prisoners running jump kicks a cigarette dispenser while bellowing "CIGARREEETTEEESSS!" at the top of his lungs. :(

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Neo Rasa posted:

How the gently caress is there not a gif of the part in Alien 3 where one of the prisoners running jump kicks a cigarette dispenser while bellowing "CIGARREEETTEEESSS!" at the top of his lungs. :(

be the change you wish to see itt

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I was thinking about Aliens but then decided to watch Split Second tonight.

Det. Harley Stone just pulled out his badge and shoved it in the face of a charging Rottweiler and said “POLICE, dickhead”

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Det. Harley Stone just pulled out his badge and shoved it in the face of a charging Rottweiler and said “POLICE, dickhead”

My favorite thing about his interacting with that dog is that given his psychic connection to the killer we can't rule out that he and the dog do actually fluently understand each other

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

One strange thing in this film is in the scene when they’re in Stone’s apartment and find Kim Cattrall in the tub, as Stone and Durkin are talking, there’s an instrumental version of “Knights in White Satin” playing.

Which just seems kind of an odd choice, but OK.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

MrMojok posted:

What a solid film. I watched this and Hardware on crappy VHS copies straight off of HBO when I was young and broke

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Let the record show that I introduced my wife to Aliens last night and she was blown away. Vastly superior to Alien, in her estimation (I wasn’t willing to argue the pros and cons). Having discussed what she liked and disliked about the first two movies, we decided to leave it at that.

Having reflected, I’m on the same page. The third film, while not entirely without merit, is incredibly mean-spirited to both the characters and the audience. I found the Firefly-lite bullshit and Newborn design in Resurrection irritating beyond belief, and both Prometheus and Covenant unnecessary and wasteful of the IP and the talent of those involved. I was never going to watch an AvP movie anyway.

I’m so glad Alien and Aliens exist.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's hard to put yourself in the mindset of how incredible Alien must have been on release, it still holds the gently caress up incredibly well vs anything put out today.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I’ve had that Alien: Blackout game installed on this phone for a couple years now, and even though it’s pretty basic it still creeps me out and I’ve never finished it. My brain just locks up when I try to play - I would be utterly useless in an Alien movie setting and totally one of the first to die.

But I still keep the game installed after all this time because whenever I open my phone I see it and then think about Aliens.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Oh lovely - some lone madman seems to have taken it upon themselves to make an Isolation style demo...at Hadley's Hope. Looks like it'll let you choose one of three doomed bastards as things start to descend into Hell. Aesthetically, it's a lot gaudier, in part due to the colony being much better lit, and the character models aren't great but eh, if nothing else it looks like it could be neat to wander around the colony building, explore the (non flooded) sub level maintenance shafts, etc.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Torquemada posted:

I’m so glad Alien and Aliens exist.
Aliens is arguably the defining sci-fi aesthetic of the end of the 20th Century. Yes, over Star Wars. When I think about sci-fi from the 90s in TV, movies, video games, Aliens is the reference point I come back to way way more often than the original Star Wars.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sentinel Red posted:

Oh lovely - some lone madman seems to have taken it upon themselves to make an Isolation style demo...at Hadley's Hope. Looks like it'll let you choose one of three doomed bastards as things start to descend into Hell. Aesthetically, it's a lot gaudier, in part due to the colony being much better lit, and the character models aren't great but eh, if nothing else it looks like it could be neat to wander around the colony building, explore the (non flooded) sub level maintenance shafts, etc.

Wait what is this?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sentinel Red posted:

Link please.
One of my 'omg Im so going to make this myself but most likely never will' game is a VR of distinctive movie locations.
No enemies to fight, just minimal, its all atmosphere.
And Hadley's Hope pre and post would be one such level. Pre-invasion so you can hear all the beeps and bloops and kids playing etc. Post is you doing it with a tracker and instructions on what to look at.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

mind the walrus posted:

Aliens is arguably the defining sci-fi aesthetic of the end of the 20th Century. Yes, over Star Wars. When I think about sci-fi from the 90s in TV, movies, video games, Aliens is the reference point I come back to way way more often than the original Star Wars.

Aliens’ grunginess and general “Space ‘Nam” vibe wouldn’t have been possible without Star Wars doing it first, but yeah I don’t think this is far fetched.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Also Alien had a lot more ripoffs and imitators than SW did when it comes to movies, in the same way that Jaws inspired a shitload of "killer shark/killer fish/killer animals in general" films. Not to say SW didn't have any imitators, they most certainly did; but a lot of them flopped because there was just no way they could match the SFX of SW, which were hugely innovative. But Alien? Just have a halfway decent monster suit, some cramped corridors, a few computer monitors, and turn the lights down, and you've got yourself an Alien knockoff! :v:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Total Recall is another one that I don't think gets as much credit, but in video games especially was incredibly influential for what sci-fi worlds look like.

Star Wars had tons of rip offs but, uh,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAaV3JD97oQ

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

RE: Total Recall I think the reason for that is pretty obvious-- it's very good, but it's not outside of the massive shadow Blade Runner cast. That all said, yeah Blade Runner, Aliens, Total Recall all loom very large in defining how a lot of designers would approach video game design.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

RE: Total Recall I think the reason for that is pretty obvious-- it's very good, but it's not outside of the massive shadow Blade Runner cast. That all said, yeah Blade Runner, Aliens, Total Recall all loom very large in defining how a lot of designers would approach video game design.

Oh yeah I wouldn't discount any of those other movies (especially Blade Runner), just I think you do see kind of a slide to Total Recall especially with stuff like Half-Life and its own wave of imitators, especially the emphasis on big monolithic machinery everywhere instead of the more intricate and cluttered look like the techlab.png and circuitry walls you'd see in DOOM and other games from the early 90s. You see all of that kind of merge with DOOM 3 and DOOM 2016.

Speaking of games influenced by Aliens, I've been Thinking About Aliens TC, the total conversion of DOOM to make it an Aliens FPS*. I remember how the first level of it has zero enemies, just atmospheric sound triggers and sound bites from the movie of Apone telling you to check those corners, this place is dead, etc.

But it was still a good sized fully fleshed out level it was really ominous to play through since this was DOOM so you were still expecting anything to pop out from around a corner. I remember at the time that being a huge a deal and a bold move to have a DOOM level, and one based on Aliens and to not have any combat in that first level. That became standard procedure in a lot of games since to set the mood of the game and to give the player a chance to get used to the controls and stuff. Did any games before Aliens TC do this?

*DOOM was initially close to being an official Aliens game but it didn't pan out.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I remember the Doom mod that changed everything to Aliens. The sound effects were well done.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Total Recall's vibe always seemed like someone tried to preemptively rub Fifth Element juice on Blade Runner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Total Recall's vibe always seemed like someone tried to preemptively rub Fifth Element juice on Blade Runner

I always got more of a "What if Blade Runner took place at the Mall of America?" vibe.