Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

QuarkJets posted:

Pacific northwest. I didn't fully grasp the discussion on the pros and cons of heat pumps from earlier but it seems like a pretty good idea to have one

Yes it is. My car is stuck in resistive heater mode and the efficiency is down (Seattle)
this is basically the perfect climate for it. Cold but not too cold you lose all the benefits of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Checked out the EUV today. Was pretty dang neat if only to see it in person

Kinda had a “…..huh….” moment with the lights which are actually in the bottom of the front and back of the car and what you think are lights are just the running lights? Felt smaller than what I thought it’d but at the same time there was a Bolt EV right next to it and honestly I couldn’t bloody tell the difference outside of some trim differences. Inside was ok, nothing too crazy. This had the super cruise / bigger screen option which looked good. No frunk either c’mon thats like a cool reason for an EV! Kinda swamped with meetings tomorrow but I might try to get a proper test ride in then or Thursday.

That said, we talked battery and charging and… I think I’ll pass. Napkin math tells me this will be sufficient like 95% of the time for my commute and like almost all my driving needs but I just know I’ll end up getting dragged on an actual longish trip and end up hating the (relatively) slower max charge to what else is out there. Good color but that sick looking orange some of the older Bolts/Volts had was way better and it’s no longer an option? Messed up. Dealer didn’t seem too excited about it and didn’t sound like there was any big push to get more of these out the door so who knows how long these will be available. They just happened to end up with a few ones to sell but c’mon Ohio get your poo poo together.

EDIT: lmao Doug loving loves saying EEE YOU VEE and he also talks about the light design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjetooD0z4A

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 11, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Checked out the EUV today. Was pretty dang neat if only to see it in person

Kinda had a “…..huh….” moment with the lights which are actually in the bottom of the front and back of the car and what you think are lights are just the running lights? Felt smaller than what I thought it’d but at the same time there was a Bolt EV right next to it and honestly I couldn’t bloody tell the difference outside of some trim differences. Inside was ok, nothing too crazy. This had the super cruise / bigger screen option which looked good. No frunk either c’mon thats like a cool reason for an EV! Kinda swamped with meetings tomorrow but I might try to get a proper test ride in then or Thursday.

That said, we talked battery and charging and… I think I’ll pass. Napkin math tells me this will be sufficient like 95% of the time for my commute and like almost all my driving needs but I just know I’ll end up getting dragged on an actual longish trip and end up hating the (relatively) slower max charge to what else is out there. Good color but that sick looking orange some of the older Bolts/Volts had was way better and it’s no longer an option? Messed up. Dealer didn’t seem too excited about it and didn’t sound like there was any big push to get more of these out the door so who knows how long these will be available. They just happened to end up with a few ones to sell but c’mon Ohio get your poo poo together.

EDIT: lmao Doug loving loves saying EEE YOU VEE and he also talks about the light design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjetooD0z4A

Yeah the bolt was absolutely on my short list of EV's I considered, but the slow "Fast Charge" knocked it out of contention too. For me that was especially important since if I do get an EV since I have street parking (and now have charging at home) I'd still need that ability to fast charge in case I can't get a spot in front of my house for several days in a row, or end up having to switch jobs to a new one that doesn't let me telecommute and need to more reliably charge than I do now.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I've been eyeing the Bolt EUV for a few weeks. I just saw a local(ish) dealer has them at $30,000, which might make me go for it. I feel like the slow-fast charging won't matter for me with a 250-mile range.

The farthest we've ever driven is camping about 150 miles away, so even then we could have gotten away with just charging at the campsite during our stay and been alright.

Is there anything else wrong with it?

DrewkroDleman
May 17, 2008

SHAME.

Harveygod posted:

I've been eyeing the Bolt EUV for a few weeks. I just saw a local(ish) dealer has them at $30,000, which might make me go for it. I feel like the slow-fast charging won't matter for me with a 250-mile range.

The farthest we've ever driven is camping about 150 miles away, so even then we could have gotten away with just charging at the campsite during our stay and been alright.

Is there anything else wrong with it?

I have also had my head turned by the Bolt EUV and my local dealer has it but I am just waiting for the (hopefully) inevitable 0% APR from GM Financing before pulling the trigger.

While I am not remotely close to an EV pro, it just seemed like the right price for the right amount of mileage for a decent car size (not too big not too small) and it helps that my current car will trade in way higher than I expected after owning for 4 years (Toyota Yaris iA). The fast charging doesn't bother me too much personally so it's a go for me once finance lines up.

But I am all ears if someone else comes up with reasons not to go for it.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I don't think I saw it mentioned here, but Rivian is delaying deliveries to September https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-rivian-r1t-delivery-delay/

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

borkencode posted:

I don't think I saw it mentioned here, but Rivian is delaying deliveries to September https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-rivian-r1t-delivery-delay/

I really need Ford to make an EV Ranger. I'm eyeballing an R1T despite the crazy price tag because it's not huge like the other two truck options coming out.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Citizen Z posted:

I really need Ford to make an EV Ranger. I'm eyeballing an R1T despite the crazy price tag because it's not huge like the other two truck options coming out.

Ford's doing this. They just don't want to steal the Lightning's thunder yet.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
The Bolt is solid, fine for most use cases, surprisingly roomy for being so small, and a great blend of price and availability and I'd recommend one. Even if you need to fast charge it 5x a year that's only going to be like an extra half hour each time. Any L2 home charger should be capable of filling up the battery overnight. The main reason I didn't want to get a second one for our household is I want something slightly bigger as a second car with rear HVAC for my kid on long trips.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Over in the US News thread in D&D, someone was saying there's EV credits in the reconciliation bill (The one that hasn't passed yet).

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The reconciliation bill has $107 billion for "Electric Vehicle Rebates" in it. Not clear how much the rebates will be worth, but they most likely will not apply to used EV purchases and will stack with other incentives.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Ford's doing this. They just don't want to steal the Lightning's thunder yet.

I appreciate this pun.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jimong5 posted:

The Bolt is solid, fine for most use cases, surprisingly roomy for being so small, and a great blend of price and availability and I'd recommend one. Even if you need to fast charge it 5x a year that's only going to be like an extra half hour each time. Any L2 home charger should be capable of filling up the battery overnight. The main reason I didn't want to get a second one for our household is I want something slightly bigger as a second car with rear HVAC for my kid on long trips.

get a gen 1 Taycan when they start getting traded in

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

borkencode posted:

Over in the US News thread in D&D, someone was saying there's EV credits in the reconciliation bill (The one that hasn't passed yet).

Any idea whether they'd be retroactive for all 2021? I'm planning to test drive a Bolt this weekend.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Cross posting but as far as Used EVs, Feinstein introduced this bill a few weeks back.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Feinstein introduced this a couple of weeks back (doubt it will make it through) that directly addresses people buying used EV's.

https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/pu...lectric%20cars.

TLDR: $2500 rebate if you buy a used EV that costs less than 25K. Starts to phase out if you make more than 75K or 150K as a joint filer.

I just bought a pre-owned Leaf this past weekend, so it'd be nice if this came to be for this tax year, but I'm doubtful it'll happen.

Doubtful it will make it through but if it does, it'd be nice.

Also I bought a pre-owned Leaf this past weekend. Love it so far :)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

pun pundit posted:

I appreciate this pun.

It was totally intentional, and I definitely didn't find out when you mentioned it.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Personally, I'm looking forward to an EV Thunderbird that's a chromed out throwback with tailfins.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

It's still like $10k to get the battery upgrade on our Leaf. And also I'd have to drive it 1000 miles to get it done, and 1000 miles back. But it would give us >200mi range. 200 is more than 89.

Cruft Jr goes to college in 2 years, and this could well be the best option at that point. As out of love as I am with the Leaf, we already own it, and it's hard to ignore that this option exists.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Have you looked at the cost of selling your old leaf to buy a used one with a 62 kWh battery instead? Might me close.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Have you looked at the cost of selling your old leaf to buy a used one with a 62 kWh battery instead? Might me close.

LOL, no, I hadn't even considered that.

What a world.

e: great googly moogly, what in the hell is going on with the used car market right now.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

cruft posted:

LOL, no, I hadn't even considered that.

What a world.

e: great googly moogly, what in the hell is going on with the used car market right now.

Everyone needs a car now because nobody wants to take public transit. That's my theory.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, there's public transport?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Everyone needs a car now because nobody wants to take public transit. That's my theory.

Well we don't *have* public transit here, so.

Actually that's not true, it exists. I went to the airport on public transit once, for anecdotes. It took about 6 hours each way, and involved three busses and a train. It was a depressing moment for me, at that time I chaired the county transportation board, and was still under the illusion that I could make things better.

Anyway, I priced it out and it would cost more to sell the car and buy a newer one with a bigger battery. But not significantly more.

Between now and when cruft Jr goes off to school, I'm counting on people resuming crashing their cars into things back at the 2019 levels, so we can get the replacement battery a lot cheaper than what it's currently at. Fingers crossed.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cruft posted:

It's still like $10k to get the battery upgrade on our Leaf. And also I'd have to drive it 1000 miles to get it done, and 1000 miles back. But it would give us >200mi range. 200 is more than 89.

Cruft Jr goes to college in 2 years, and this could well be the best option at that point. As out of love as I am with the Leaf, we already own it, and it's hard to ignore that this option exists.

Give him the car then, don't spend anything on it. Buy yourself something newer.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ola posted:

Give him the car then, don't spend anything on it. Buy yourself something newer.

We have the Model 3. But, yeah, we could just give junior the car and make this their problem. That would be similar to what I had to deal with at that age.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

cruft posted:

Well we don't *have* public transit here, so.

Actually that's not true, it exists. I went to the airport on public transit once, for anecdotes. It took about 6 hours each way, and involved three busses and a train. It was a depressing moment for me, at that time I chaired the county transportation board, and was still under the illusion that I could make things better.

Anyway, I priced it out and it would cost more to sell the car and buy a newer one with a bigger battery. But not significantly more.

Between now and when cruft Jr goes off to school, I'm counting on people resuming crashing their cars into things back at the 2019 levels, so we can get the replacement battery a lot cheaper than what it's currently at. Fingers crossed.

Yeah but what happens is all the lease returns go to auction then shipped to where the demand and money is, so you're either stuck ponying up in a big center because dealers know they can milk you, or ponying up in the sticks because there's only what's left over and dealers know they can milk you.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cruft posted:

We have the Model 3. But, yeah, we could just give junior the car and make this their problem. That would be similar to what I had to deal with at that age.

His CHAdeMO-powered journey to college will be a great coming-of-age story.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah but what happens is all the lease returns go to auction then shipped to where the demand and money is, so you're either stuck ponying up in a big center because dealers know they can milk you, or ponying up in the sticks because there's only what's left over and dealers know they can milk you.

The battery replacement on the Leaf is probably topical, so I'll talk about it more.

The procedure currently appears to be:

• buy the battery off a totaled Leaf in a junkyard
  • swap it into your car
  • screw around with the firmware until the car thinks it has a lot bigger battery
  • maybe do something to the suspension?

Right now this procedure, which can replace my 30kWh battery with a 60kWh one, is costing between $10k and $11k. And I have to drive 1000+ miles to get to a shop that will do it, which is going to be quite the adventure. But I'm up for it! We once drove a VW Vanagon 1000 miles to San Luis Obispo to get an engine replaced: we made it into a Route 66 tour and it was fun.

I suppose it's also possible for me to do this myself. I'd have to borrow a lift or something, and watch a whole lot of YouTube, but I feel pretty confident with electricity. And I could force cruft jr. to help, which might be a valuable learning experience. Hmmm.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 11, 2021

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

cruft posted:

The battery replacement on the Leaf is probably topical, so I'll talk about it more.

The procedure currently appears to be:

• buy the battery off a totaled Leaf in a junkyard
  • swap it into your car
  • screw around with the firmware until the car thinks it has a lot bigger battery
  • maybe do something to the suspension?

Right now this procedure, which can replace my 30kWh battery with a 60kWh one, is costing between $10k and $11k. And I have to drive 1000+ miles to get to a shop that will do it, which is going to be quite the adventure. But I'm up for it! We once drove a VW Vanagon 1000 miles to San Luis Obispo to get an engine replaced: we made it into a Route 66 tour and it was fun.

I suppose it's also possible for me to do this myself. I'd have to borrow a lift or something, and watch a whole lot of YouTube, but I feel pretty confident with electricity. And I could force cruft jr. to help, which might be a valuable learning experience. Hmmm.

I was gonna discourage this based on the travel time for the 1000+ miles, but I put it in ABRP, and it seems hard but def possible! Seattle to SF (825 miles) estimated in 14.25 h. Not too bad with 5+ hours of charging. Not sure if that takes into account rapidgating. Coming back with the new battery is 1 hour faster!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Bone Crimes posted:

I was gonna discourage this based on the travel time for the 1000+ miles, but I put it in ABRP, and it seems hard but def possible! Seattle to SF (825 miles) estimated in 14.25 h. Not too bad with 5+ hours of charging. Not sure if that takes into account rapidgating. Coming back with the new battery is 1 hour faster!

EV works on Bainbridge Island does conversions to 40kwh or 62kwh, haven't looked into feedback or anything about their service but it's worth researching if you're in the Seattle area and want that done.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Bone Crimes posted:

Haha, that's all I-5. Now put in Santa Fe to San Diego.

e: here, I did it

cruft fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 11, 2021

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

cruft posted:

Haha, that's all I-5. Now put in Santa Fe to San Diego.

e: here, I did it

On the plus side, it's mostly down hill!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Just saw my first Mach-E in the wild. I was hoping it’d somehow be barely bigger than a regular mustang :/

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Just saw my first Mach-E in the wild. I was hoping it’d somehow be barely bigger than a regular mustang :/

It’s shorter and narrower, just taller.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Lol, the Senate approved a (non-binding, thankfully) resolution to the 3.5 billion infrastructure bill that limits the federal EV credit to people making less than 100k and EVs with an MSRP less than 40k.

Three democrats voted for it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Lol, the Senate approved a (non-binding, thankfully) resolution to the 3.5 billion infrastructure bill that limits the federal EV credit to people making less than 100k and EVs with an MSRP less than 40k.

Democrats means testing the absolute gently caress out of everything?

Say it ain’t so!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I dunno, MSRP limits are hard to argue against. Yes they're counterproductive if your goal is to get as many EVs into the hands of as many people as possible, but there's always the argument that if you can afford a Model S, you don't need government assistance. It could be set a little higher, but there's probably a reason the model Y starts at $39,990 US. In Canada, trim packages that boost the price past the MSRP rebate limit don't count against you, so you can max out the option list as long as the model is on the list. The income limit is pretty arbitrary though, because it locks out a whole lot of bay area Henry's earning 6 figures and living in bedsits, as well as being completely gameable by the wealthy self employed/incorporated.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Finger Prince posted:

The income limit is pretty arbitrary though, because it locks out a whole lot of bay area Henry's earning 6 figures and living in bedsits, as well as being completely gameable by the wealthy self employed/incorporated.

The goal is to make it benefit as few people as possible, so it's not arbitrary!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

I dunno, MSRP limits are hard to argue against. Yes they're counterproductive if your goal is to get as many EVs into the hands of as many people as possible, but there's always the argument that if you can afford a Model S, you don't need government assistance. It could be set a little higher, but there's probably a reason the model Y starts at $39,990 US. In Canada, trim packages that boost the price past the MSRP rebate limit don't count against you, so you can max out the option list as long as the model is on the list. The income limit is pretty arbitrary though, because it locks out a whole lot of bay area Henry's earning 6 figures and living in bedsits, as well as being completely gameable by the wealthy self employed/incorporated.

It's easy to argue against msrp limits, your second sentence effortlessly gives a really good argument against them. If the goal is to speed up ev adoption then the incentive should exist for all prices and manufacturers, with no limits (yes, get rid of the manufacturer limit too, let Tesla buyers back in). If it's specifically to help lower income people afford an ev then instead of an individual rebate we need to reimburse dealers who apply the discount directly to the sticker price

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

The goal is to make it benefit as few people as possible, so it's not arbitrary!

I mean, the choice of $100k seems arbitrary. It's pretty high given the median income in the US is like $31k, or $61k for household, but in certain select high income areas, it comes across as far too low. It just sounds like a number that was chosen purely for optics, which it probably was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

It's easy to argue against msrp limits, your second sentence effortlessly gives a really good argument against them. If the goal is to speed up ev adoption then the incentive should exist for all prices and manufacturers, with no limits (yes, get rid of the manufacturer limit too, let Tesla buyers back in). If it's specifically to help lower income people afford an ev then instead of an individual rebate we need to reimburse dealers who apply the discount directly to the sticker price

Sorry, I mean as a politician it's hard to argue against. The bill was drafted with the goal of getting EVs in everyone's driveway or parking stall or front yard. But there's quite a few people who might ask, hang on, why are we subsidizing wealthy people again? Maybe they aren't, maybe I'm imagining that. But if I'm a senator representing a poor district, maybe I might want to consider it.