Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

whoa that's cool, i want one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
That looks pretty neat, and the software seems simple, so I'd bet there isn't exactly rocket science to the USB interface. If you manage to get ahold of the original software a session with USBPcap could probably be quite interesting.

If you have a Linux box handy, I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like from the perspective of `lsusb -v`

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I did email them and we’ll see but I’m not holding my breath.

Whoa. Shout out to James from Wireless Devices Taiwan for hooking me up with the software for this thing

He sent some Google drive links and a sales pitch for their new version of this hardware :) but I’ll try it out and see what happens.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 2, 2021

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Hello! New ham here after spending years being interested in radio but for some reason too afraid to actually get a license. Finally did, got my general and picked up an Icom IC-705 to take out back and bikepacking and play around with 5W out in the woods. Also got a little specialty receiver made for picking up whistlers and other VLF stuff

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Welcome! Always glad to have another. good choice on the 705, it's a very cool rig.

ambient oatmeal posted:

Also got a little specialty receiver made for picking up whistlers and other VLF stuff

So, tell us about your modular synth that i am sure you own

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I wish, I have the musical talents of a deaf hummingbird. I mostly like the clicks and chirps because they make the autism go brrrrrrrrrrr

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Welcome! Always glad to have another. good choice on the 705, it's a very cool rig.

So, tell us about your modular synth that i am sure you own

I'm building an electronic bagpipe that uses FM Synthesis! Does that count?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cruft posted:

I'm building an electronic bagpipe that uses FM Synthesis! Does that count?

:mods:

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.
Passed my Foundation license (UK) exam not half an hour ago! Now to wait for the paperwork to go through so I can apply for a callsign.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Would it be overly petty if me to get my HAM license to yell at the guy that cut me off and nearly wrecked me? He had his handle on a magnet/sticker on his car.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Warbird posted:

Would it be overly petty if me to get my HAM license to yell at the guy that cut me off and nearly wrecked me? He had his handle on a magnet/sticker on his car.

Yes, but also very on-brand for a ham.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Warbird posted:

Just look up his info in the FCC database and send him a bag of dog poo

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
So I kind of let my technician's license expire, but I have an opportunity to re-up that and take a test this weekend. Is this study guide a good resource to prepare for that, or is there anything else you all would recommend I review? I want to get back into ham, just life got into the way the first time around

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
kb6nu is good and smart folks, yeah that's a good one

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's what i used to get my tech. read the book, do a couple practice tests on hamstudy.org and you're good to go

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

When I first started my current job, I and another guy were put out into some barracks until they could get office space set up for us. We didn't have much to do.

He spent the entire time taking practice tests, over and over, for weeks. He got to where he could recognize questions based on the shape of the text or diagram features, and could pick the right answer, also based on shape. One of his goals in this exercise was to never read anything, and he never did.

He got his license the next week.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ickna posted:

Just look up his info in the FCC database and send him a bag of dog poo

I've never heard of anyone getting harassed via their FCC registration info, but callsign license plates seem like you're testing fate. I guess your average dickhead on the street doesn't know that a callsign-formatted license plate = you can look up this guy's home address online, but it's a chance I prefer not to take; in this case, the pissed-off guy is driving around close to where I live, instead of piloting a Rascal in Florida.

I do still put my real home address in the database, though.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Two hours getting rained on in a muddy field well spent. Only full frame I got. Had tech issues too.

Kids came over to find out what was happening and they were excited about pictureeees frooommm spaaaace!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

thehustler posted:

Two hours getting rained on in a muddy field well spent. Only full frame I got. Had tech issues too.

Kids came over to find out what was happening and they were excited about pictureeees frooommm spaaaace!

hot drat that one is cool looking; nice job

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Doppler correction was a bit off :-/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
shouldn't matter for sstv beyond just simple filtering/out of bandpass issues, SSTV itself is an FM thing and then you've got more FM on the carrier

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

shouldn't matter for sstv beyond just simple filtering/out of bandpass issues, SSTV itself is an FM thing and then you've got more FM on the carrier

My image skews left a bit but it could need a tiny slant correction instead. SDR Console was doing the tracking.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Welp, ordered a Yaesu FT-3DR - who's on Wires-X?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

charliebravo77 posted:

Welp, ordered a Yaesu FT-3DR - who's on Wires-X?

As far as my (eastern MA) experience is, Wires-X is a mode exclusively used to control PiStar boxes for connecting to DMR TGs.

I think maybe HRCC has a WiresX room/reflector/whatever they call it, but that's legit the only time I've seen it.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Local wires-x repeater is set to America Link by default. It is always transmitting.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Pro tip for anyone who might buy a FT3DR, when trying to use the SD card memory and backup functions, you have to actually press "OK" on the screen, not use the DISP button which serves as "enter/OK" in every other context in the radio menus. I fought with this thing and 10 different micro SD cards before figuring it out. :sigh:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yaesu's "UI team" strikes again.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
big drama in DMR land

https://old.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/p41mx4/amateurradiodigital_guy_banned_me_from_dmr/

what a shitbag

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

what a shitbag

And an idiot. He can't ban anyone from DMR, but he's sure gonna get a lot of this story being told when this guy showed up as "banned" only for people who are his customers.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Motronic posted:

And an idiot. He can't ban anyone from DMR, but he's sure gonna get a lot of this story being told when this guy showed up as "banned" only for people who are his customers.

I wonder if the community is small enough that this will go unnoticed by hackers because holy poo poo that is a high value target. If he's dumb enough to mess that up in the first place, he's probably dumb enough to have SQL injection vulnerabilities.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Forseti posted:

I wonder if the community is small enough that this will go unnoticed by hackers because holy poo poo that is a high value target. If he's dumb enough to mess that up in the first place, he's probably dumb enough to have SQL injection vulnerabilities.

Why is it high value? He has a web site that processes text files that he gets from somewhere else (publicly available on radioid.net) into different text files and takes payments for it, probably through a third party.

This guy has nothing to do with the DMR infrastructure itself. He's just there for the bad with computers old men who can't figure out how to parse the radioid.net csv into whatever their programming software needs.

The poster doesn't understand this because they are new at DMR, but that's the reality of the situation.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Motronic posted:

Why is it high value? He has a web site that processes text files that he gets from somewhere else (publicly available on radioid.net) into different text files and takes payments for it, probably through a third party.

This guy has nothing to do with the DMR infrastructure itself. He's just there for the bad with computers old men who can't figure out how to parse the radioid.net csv into whatever their programming software needs.

The poster doesn't understand this because they are new at DMR, but that's the reality of the situation.

Because presumably he has a database full of plain text passwords associated with at least a callsign and email address that can likely be used to get a lot of other personal info

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Forseti posted:

Because presumably he has a database full of plain text passwords associated with at least a callsign and email address that can likely be used to get a lot of other personal info

I suppose if you make the assumption that most hams are really bad at computers and use their firs born grandson's name and birthday as their password everywhere.

It's a reasonable assumption. But not exactly groundbreaking information. Call signs are public. Lots of people have their callsign associated with an email address in a lot of places. The only real issue is for people who reuse passwords.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Motronic posted:

I suppose if you make the assumption that most hams are really bad at computers and use their firs born grandson's name and birthday as their password everywhere.

It's a reasonable assumption. But not exactly groundbreaking information. Call signs are public. Lots of people have their callsign associated with an email address in a lot of places. The only real issue is for people who reuse passwords.

Well yeah, I wouldn't worry about the callsign on its own, and you are totally right that you shouldn't reuse passwords. It's just that lots and lots of people do, even people who know better.

The personal info isn't a problem on its own, it's just that it gives you more ways to cross reference it with other databases of info.

Like, even a hashed password where they didn't use a salt is a problem because you can use rainbow tables against it.

That's why people in the reddit thread are saying whatever password you used there is now off the table and you should change it everywhere (even though you shouldn't have reused it in the first place).

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the wizard page doesn't seem to be loading for me. i'm gonna make a guess that somebody's running sqlmap and sleeping the poo poo out of his database

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
His twitter is a real gem, too

deplatform jerks like this

manero
Jan 30, 2006

wowwww, what a shitshow, lol

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
On the plus side, that guy can probably get a pretty sweet high paying gig at Equifax

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Motronic posted:

bad with computers old men who can't figure out how to parse the radioid.net csv into whatever their programming software needs.

This is 100% the demographic most likely to reuse passwords, but it sounds like the site admin is assigning immutable passwords on account creation... that's honestly not a bad idea for said demographic.

It's also the demographic that's most susceptible to scammers, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

FT3DR first thoughts:

OF COURSE there's a FT5DR announced now, not even a week after getting the radio. Oh well, the 3DR isn't appreciably different and was cheaper. Side note - lots of people complaining about the FT3DR on the internet recommend getting the Kenwood TH-D74A over it. I took a look at them out of curiosity and well, more radios more better. Holy gently caress an open box radio is EIGHT HUNDRED AND FIFTY loving DOLLARS I'd expect it to be a better radio. No thank you.

APRS SMSGTE messaging is fun but I can't get the registration #mynumber command to work - I'll be in a different area tonight and may try through a different gateway.

YSF2DMR/P25/NXDN with Pi-Star opens up a lot of possibilities though there are a handful of Fusion repeaters around me already.

After learning the intricacies of the UI things are pretty easy to navigate now.

FT3D Whiz for programming to an SD card is simple and intuitive after learning the touch press OK vs DISP enter quirk.