Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Wizard posted:

You can work a watchfloor for a couple years straight where day in day out you’re monitoring drone footage or translating some of the worst conversations imaginable and just constantly slamming your brain with condensed misery, but sure it’s not a deployment so we should cap mental health issues at like 40% disability

It’s capped at 40%?! I’ve got 100% for my mental health issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It’s capped at 40%?! I’ve got 100% for my mental health issues.

They're being sarcastic.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DaNerd posted:

They're being sarcastic.

Oh geez, sorry I haven’t had my morning coffee and cigarette. Thanks for explaining the joke to the idiot who didn’t get it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That kind of thinking used to be prevalent on these forums, and, I know I joined in on the shittalking for a PTSD diagnosis for an intel analyst from reviewing drone aftermath.

A decade or so later and after a lot of personal growth make it easy to see why that mindset was wrong. It is definitely a thing that some people still believe, though.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 18, 2022

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Is the idea being that it's lovely to gatekeep reasons others get bennies?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

Is the idea being that it's lovely to gatekeep reasons others get bennies?

Directing our anger at the source of our problems rather than the perceived unfairness of someone more similar to us than different getting a disability rating is a much better use of energy.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 18, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

US Berder Patrol posted:

This post? In this thread?

you had apparently thirteen years of lurking to read the room pal

To be fair, like, the first half of that 13 years weren't exactly moments of pride for us. We've all grown and matured, to an extent, at least.

We're all still dumb as hell for enlisting/commissioning. That's a disability qualification in and of itself.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

To be fair, like, the first half of that 13 years weren't exactly moments of pride for us. We've all grown and matured, to an extent, at least.

We're all still dumb as hell for enlisting/commissioning. That's a disability qualification in and of itself.

Concur. Old shim would have dog piled on the “No deployment 25 year old 100%” types. But I’ve grown to learn better than that. I can understand the frustration, but you can’t tell what someone went through just because they have a high rating. Seems weird they have 100%? Well most of us gave 110% of ourselves to the military. Be happy that they’ll be taken care of, and have faith that you will too if you go through the process. I’d be happy to help you with your claim so you get what you are entitled to for your service, but you gotta let go of the anchor of judging others before you can fully be at peace with the system.

I hope this message finds you in good spirits DeeDee, I really do. If you want or need help, reach out. PM me or mail me at shimgip@gmail.com.

I can be a friendly ear to listen to what you say, and I can help you navigate the process of C&P. But try to let go of your animosity to other vets with high ratings. Deployment or not.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Just got my rating.

It's 30 percentage points higher than what I was expecting.

It's tax free, too.

Finally, a victory :)

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 18, 2022

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I need to get rated, I guess. It’s been years since I got out but I had things documented and also medal citations that describe wounds

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
When I was getting medically retired there were a few dudes from basic at some VA gonna hook you up with bennies meeting. There was one kid who could barely move on his crutches. I didn't see him arrive but by the time he got up to the time he got to the elevator he was drenched with sweat.

Other kid had no hand.

The other had to leave every few minutes to wash his face. Apparently a drill sergeant had rolled the duty truck with every fucker he could stuff in the back. Face washing dude was there when that dude lost his hand, but was pinned and his blood kept spurting all over him and he couldn't do anything about it.

Trauma is trauma. Probably even worse when you realize a lot of people's real enemies are wearing the same uniform as you.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
i got a buddy that gives me poo poo for my general "slamming into everything knee height and running up ladderwells" bad knees and him literally being shot in the knee having the same rating. i know it's not personal cause of course neither of us is would leave money on the table but still sometimes it's like :iiam:

i can't blame anyone for being frustrated.

also knew a guy who simply got in a bad car accident in a cab when we were in port somewhere else, and that was just a case of "well gently caress there goes your entire livelihood" which is pretty lovely in itself.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Dummy Question: I should already know this, and I believe I'm reading correctly.

I retired as an E6 at 20 years. High 3 retirement. This is 2.5% times number of years in service, and the highest average basic pay for the last 3 years of service.

E6 basic pay is 4,297.20 a month, divided by 2, is 2,148.60 a month.

I should receive 2,148 a month for my pension, correct?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

lite_sleepr posted:

Dummy Question: I should already know this, and I believe I'm reading correctly.

I retired as an E6 at 20 years. High 3 retirement. This is 2.5% times number of years in service, and the highest average basic pay for the last 3 years of service.

Kind of. It’s the average of your highest 3 years. Also you’ll be paying taxes on it. (Go get a VA rating for anything they broke on you, it’s tax free)

Congratulations on your admission to the Blue ID club- enjoy it, you earned it and it’s something to be proud of.

Hope that was useful, I haven’t had my caffeine yet.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

https://militarypay.defense.gov/Calculators/High-3-Calculator/

I have an app on my phone that I used when I was transitioning to try to get a ballpark of what my retired pay and disability would come to. When I plugged in E-6 with 20 years retiring May 1st 2021 it gives me 2036 a month.

If you really want to calculate it on your own, you need to pull base pay for the previous 3 years for an E-6 with 2021 and 2020 base pay being calculated as an E-6 over 18 years of service and 2019 being calculated at an E-6 over 16 years of service.

Otherwise I’d say you are pretty close to your before taxes pay.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Do you still have that app? I qualify for a final disability rating of 80%, which is $1,772 a month. If you could plug in a 20-year tech and that number, I'd really appreciate it or you could just let me know what that application is

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yeah the app was :10bux: on IOS so save your money.

20 year E-6 $2037
80% disability $1773
Income tax $227
Total Income $3583

That might not be perfect but it came out within a hundred bucks or so for me when I did the same thing.

This is before Tricare or VGLI.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Never mind I'm dumb.

Looks like I'll be getting about 2,083 a month from pension alone, plus the 1,777 from VA, for 3,860 a month in combined bennies.

If I can find a place to go to school, I could add potentially 2200 to that in post 9/11 bill money. I don't think I'd have to work tbh.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

Never mind I'm dumb.

Looks like I'll be getting about 2,083 a month from pension alone, plus the 1,777 from VA, for 3,860 a month in combined bennies.

If I can find a place to go to school, I could add potentially 2200 to that in post 9/11 bill money. I don't think I'd have to work tbh.

Just remember that you’d be short BAH during the months of the year that you aren’t in school.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Hekk posted:

Just remember that you’d be short BAH during the months of the year that you aren’t in school.

Also BAH is prorated for the month by the number of days that you are in school now. If your last day of classes is the 15th of the month and you aren't rolling into the next semester, you'll only get 1/2 of the monthly BAH. If your semesters are back to back you still don't get paid for any days that you're off between semesters, even if it's just a week or two. You'll only use half a month of benefits too, but that tripped me up when I started school last year.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

lite_sleepr posted:

Never mind I'm dumb.

That's enough to rent an apartment and be able to live very well within walking distance of basically any campus you want to go to.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I managed to find a 2 bedroom apartment a few miles from UW Seattle for about $1200 less than the BAH I'll get there($2800), pretty excited I found this place.

I was able to keep saving/investing while on unemployment and will be able to keep doing that while using my GI Bill too. Feeling pretty deserving of that old welfare queens gang tag.

Wish everyone had access to the same resources I have, all the social welfare/veteran's benefits have worked pretty loving fantastic for me. If I had moved back to FL instead of stay in WA I would have had to bleed through my savings.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'm a single dad, so I have to consider that as well. I just gotta find a proper city with a 2 year college in it so I can try to get a business management degree and so the kiddo can go to school.

Had a job interview for a GS 6 position at Shepard, and I got another interview for a GS 7 job... also at Shepard. Granted, I have to have that 180 day period waived, but I'd be doing a very similar job as I was doing, so I got that going for me.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Has anyone heard of veterans united home loans? Supposed to be a VA approved lender. Any other lenders that may be better?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
They're the same as every other big national online lending company; you can always get a loan estimate from them to see what rate they can offer, but they were generally slow and could not competitive with rates from local lenders and some of the big banks when we started working with them. They sell as a veteran specialized service, but really there's nothing specialized they offer that other lenders don't/can't.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 5, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Are they more lenient on credit ratings if they're giving higher rates?

My foreclosure will hit 7 years next summer, I'm not looking to buy for another 2-3 years unless I buy land and build myself.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I'm honestly not sure as we had excellent credit. My main point is really to just treat them like any other lender and rate shop. Almost anyone can do a VA loan, so just go with whoever can give you the best rate.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Are they more lenient on credit ratings if they're giving higher rates?

My foreclosure will hit 7 years next summer, I'm not looking to buy for another 2-3 years unless I buy land and build myself.

Yes, they have a couple of different programs.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Excellent. I plan to clean my credit up, but I might always be led astray financially by buying a $5k plot of 5 acres raw land, and sink all my money into building the desert shack my spirit animal craves. But if I could do it with a loan, that'd save some hassle.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Excellent. I plan to clean my credit up, but I might always be led astray financially by buying a $5k plot of 5 acres raw land, and sink all my money into building the desert shack my spirit animal craves. But if I could do it with a loan, that'd save some hassle.

Before you buy that empty lot, make sure you can actually do anything with it. Colorado has a bunch of areas where they've put a lot of restrictions on lots that do not have utility access and such.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, there are some recreational use only areas, but most of the areas I'm looking at are just remote to utilities. Septic required, in-house use of well only, solar, spotty cell service, the rural works.

Unless house prices crash, then I might look in town.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Got a tentative job offer for a GS 7 position! :woop: :woop:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

Awesome news. Good Luck!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Just gotta get through the 180 day waiver process

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Right on.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

lite_sleepr posted:

What do you top out at?

Also, max that TSP and pay for that military time as soon as you can. "I'll pay it off eventually" often turns into "oops, with interest, it's too much money".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I haven't done anything with my TSP since probably 2014-15 when I had to dip into it during an emergency.