Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Renji is fine and got some redemption at the last second by finally getting a bankai that doesn't suck rear end and defeating a non-trivial opponent. His dynamic with Rukia isn't as fun as Ichigo and Rukia's but it's still good. It really does suck though that Orihime's character lost almost all of her fun quirks from HM onward. Prior to her kidnapping she was a really fun character but all of that got tossed out for the sake of drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

So originally it was the top 4 Espada that were Vasto Lordes(not including Nel, she’s never been stated to be one) but it was retconned in one of the novels that 1-7 were all Vasto lordes, with Syazel being a former one. Meaning the only ones that weren’t were Aaroniro(the only Gillian espada due to his ability) and Yammy(whose silhouette was actually used when describing Adjuchas). As far as I can tell espada rank was literally just about pure spirit power though, that’s why Yammy was 0 after transforming but was still a chump.

By the way it seems like Ulquiorra was the only natural arrancar. Maybes that’s why he was special.

I thought Grimmjow was out right stated as being an Adjuchas. Also I think Starrk was a natural arrancar too.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Renji's old bankai was a giant snake that could shoot lasers and it was probably cooler than his new bankai because I can't remember a thing about it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hope Rukia upgrades her Soul Pager so she can send her friend Ichigo her drawings.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Grimmjow's origin chapter says he was an Adjuchas, Can't Fear Your Own World says he was a Vasto Lorde, the character book splits the difference and says he was an Adjuchas on the cusp of becoming a Vasto Lorde when he became an Arrancar and Adjuchas in the process of that transition are unusually small for a Hollow (which is why Hollow Grimmjow was the size of a real actual panther)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Grimmjow was revised into being VL as of CFYOW. Technically the part about him being Adjuchas was only in a flashback so it's possible he could've become Vasto Lorde at some point, but it's still kinda lame. Not that it matters that much as the point about the Menos rankings stands regardless of if every member of the Espadas is a VL or isn't.

Sydin posted:

Renji is fine and got some redemption at the last second by finally getting a bankai that doesn't suck rear end and defeating a non-trivial opponent. His dynamic with Rukia isn't as fun as Ichigo and Rukia's but it's still good. It really does suck though that Orihime's character lost almost all of her fun quirks from HM onward. Prior to her kidnapping she was a really fun character but all of that got tossed out for the sake of drama.

I mostly just find him to be on the lower end of the good Ichigo rival characters. He was never as good as Uryu, Byakuya, or Kenpachi were and he is only barely better than like Grimmjow. I don't think the character is awful, but I got aggressively of his lovely fights until he finally got the cool Bankai he got to use in one fight. Idc as much now, but I lament I have to keep seeing more of him because Rukia married him, though at least the relationship dynamic is kinda funny because Rukia went on to become a captain and he's still just Byakuya's lieutenant. But even then the small time Rukia gets to interact with Ichigo is so much more genuine and nostalgic than any interaction I get from her and Renji. Though really, I've never been a fan of how incestuous both Naruto and Bleach ended with everyone marrying each other in this circle of friends, but at least in Bleach it was the two that it's been building to forever and not like Chad and Tatsuki or some dumb poo poo like that.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 10, 2021

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Renji is the hottest Bleach character so I'm happy for him TYFYT

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Captain Baal posted:

Grimmjow was revised into being VL as of CFYOW. Technically the part about him being Adjuchas was only in a flashback so it's possible he could've become Vasto Lorde at some point, but it's still kinda lame. Not that it matters that much as the point about the Menos rankings stands regardless of if every member of the Espadas is a VL or isn't.

I mostly just find him to be on the lower end of the good Ichigo rival characters. He was never as good as Uryu, Byakuya, or Kenpachi were and he is only barely better than like Grimmjow. I don't think the character is awful, but I got aggressively of his lovely fights until he finally got the cool Bankai he got to use in one fight. Idc as much now, but I lament I have to keep seeing more of him because Rukia married him, though at least the relationship dynamic is kinda funny because Rukia went on to become a captain and he's still just Byakuya's lieutenant. But even then the small time Rukia gets to interact with Ichigo is so much more genuine and nostalgic than any interaction I get from her and Renji. Though really, I've never been a fan of how incestuous both Naruto and Bleach ended with everyone marrying each other in this circle of friends, but at least in Bleach it was the two that it's been building to forever and not like Chad and Tatsuki or some dumb poo poo like that.

Renji is definitely strong enough to be a captain, there just weren’t any spots left. I hope Kubo doesn’t kill off Byakuya for that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There's a whole scene in the beginning of the HM arc where Renji is begging Ikkaku to reveal his bankai and that after Aizen/Tousen/Gin betrayed SS it's his and Ikkaku's duties to step up and fill in the captain vacancies. Ikkaku tells him to gently caress off and that he's only interested in serving under Kenpatchi, which seams to make Renji realize he doesn't really want to be a captain either because he wants to server under Byakuya.

e. And then the whole point becomes moot when half the vizards decide to rejoin and fill up all the vacancies.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wasn't saying that as a way to dog on Renji, so much as I was saying it's funny how little he's changed over the series meanwhile Rukia went from some grunt soul reaper into the captain and now has more status than him.

Doc Fission posted:

Renji is the hottest Bleach character so I'm happy for him TYFYT

This isn't Chad!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I thought Renji's 500 year plan was to eventually usurp Byakuya and take the captain title for himself.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Renji has cool tattoos and his fight against Byakuya is in the top five best fights in Bleach.

Grimmjow’s backstory says he’s an adjuchas but his buddies believe him to be capable of becoming a vastro lorde since he is the only one of them to not plateau. I believe this was conveyed in the chapter ‘Eating Meat, alone: The Solitude of the King’.

God I love the chapter titles in this series.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Renji's old bankai was a giant snake that could shoot lasers and it was probably cooler than his new bankai because I can't remember a thing about it.

Renji's new bankai gave him bone armour and let him hit things very strongly.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheHan posted:

I thought Renji's 500 year plan was to eventually usurp Byakuya and take the captain title for himself.

IIRC Byakuya swooped in out of nowhere and offered to elevate Rukia to noble status. Rukia went to Renji hoping he'd talk her out of it but instead he felt like it was his obligation to let Rukia have a better life than that of a street urchin, so he told her to go for it and from then on she cut off essentially all contact with him. Renji figured this was because of the new disparity in their statuses, and so he wanted to prove he was at least Byakuya's equal - if not his better - in order to earn the status and recognition to be with Rukia again. Part of this colors his fight with Byakuya, but by that point he's been fully convinced by Ichigo that he was wrong and should have stuck by Rukia regardless of superficial social status, and he's fighting to rescue Rukia as much as he is to prove he can reach Byakuya's level.

Koumpounophilia
Aug 9, 2021

by Hand Knit
My takeaway from all this is if you're a human in Bleach world, don't die. Don't ever die, figure out a way to become immortal because death is literally the worst thing that can ever happen to you. No matter how lovely your life is, some variety of a worse horrible hell is all that awaits you after death.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thoren posted:

Renji's new bankai gave him bone armour and let him hit things very strongly.

Sounds lame tbh.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

Renji is definitely strong enough to be a captain, there just weren’t any spots left. I hope Kubo doesn’t kill off Byakuya for that.

Renji could have fuckin' taken 7th Division, Iba was a total nothing throughout the series and his claim to fame was, uh, fighting Madarame (who wasn't using his bankai) to a standstill in a duel that neither were fully invested in.

EDIT: Fixed the division number.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I really feel like Byakuya should have died early on in the Thousand Year Blood arc instead of being randomly revived. The only major casualty in the opening salvo was, uh, Old Men Genocider.

I really hate that he comes back to save Rukia from As Nodt and lets her win instead of giving Rukia a proper personal victory.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's Byakuya, loving Byakuya, of all people who can resist Tsukishima's history revision powers.

Byakuya.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Iba is 7th division captain now so presumably he at least has bankai (and it's probably better than Madarame's lovely one).

And Byakuya's thing was loyalty to soul society's laws above personal loyalty which is why Tsukishima's thing wasn't effective.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The Fullbringer arc was Kubo trying to do what YYH did with Chapter Black and failing miserably. It was just awful, introduced terribly and then so unpopular that he had to rush through it and gently caress up anything good it could have done. The only good thing about the Fullbringer arc was that it was so awful it got the anime cancelled.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

chumbler posted:

Iba is 7th division captain now so presumably he at least has bankai (and it's probably better than Madarame's lovely one).

And Byakuya's thing was loyalty to soul society's laws above personal loyalty which is why Tsukishima's thing wasn't effective.

Yeah but Byakuya was supposed to leave that behind! Killing a close personal friend just to remain loyal to Ichigo is last thing he should be doing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The Fullbringer arc was Kubo trying to do what YYH did with Chapter Black and failing miserably. It was just awful, introduced terribly and then so unpopular that he had to rush through it and gently caress up anything good it could have done. The only good thing about the Fullbringer arc was that it was so awful it got the anime cancelled.

Maybe don't give Ichigo a giant swatiska shooting disk as a power.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Covok posted:

It's literally the same character used as the ban in bankai.

The 卍 in 卍解.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Covok posted:

His bankai sword hilt has been one from the start. He only had the swastika disk for like 10 chapters anyway.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I liked Tsukishima, is my only positive opinion of the Fullbringer Arc

Oh and Riruka is fine too

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It's Byakuya, loving Byakuya, of all people who can resist Tsukishima's history revision powers.

Byakuya.

This actually makes a lot of sense as Book of the End still worked on Byakuya, but Book of the End doesn't change your personality or goals. It just lets him mess with your memories and all he ever did was keep making himself a friend of the cast and really not much else. Byakuya is exactly the kind of person who would be able to kill a close friend if it came down to it and this is acknowledged in universe too.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 11, 2021

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Back when I was into Bleach, I remember I shipped Uryu/Orihime because it felt to me like Uryu had actual feelings for her that might have gone unrequited and I really dug that. But I don't actually remember much of the character interactions and I'm not going to do a re-read to find out if there was ever any subtext to that effect.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gologle posted:

Back when I was into Bleach, I remember I shipped Uryu/Orihime because it felt to me like Uryu had actual feelings for her that might have gone unrequited and I really dug that. But I don't actually remember much of the character interactions and I'm not going to do a re-read to find out if there was ever any subtext to that effect.

They don't really have that much beyond the soul society arc, but they're fun in that one which is enough. Uryu also is there in the Ulquiorra fight trying to help, but he mostly just gets owned.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It's literally the same character used as the ban in bankai.

The 卍 in 卍解.

yeah I get the trepidation with the SS character in Burn the Witch but like...the swastika is still a valid symbol Asia did not collectively stop using it just because the Nazis stole it

e: also the left-facing version isn't even the one the loving Nazis used!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

chumbler posted:

Uryu also is there in the fight trying to help, but he mostly just gets owned.

This is every Ishida fight in the manga after he beats the filler arrancar lady in the early part of the HM invasion. He gets owned by Sayzel, then owned by Ulquiorra/Hollow Ichigo, then owned by Ginjou twice - once at the start of the Fullbringer arc offscreen to set up the arc's mystery and then at the end of the arc when he shows up to warn Ichigo Ginjou is actually evil only to get knocked out like 3 pages later, and then gets owned by Jugram who only fails to kill Ishida because Yhwach conveniently chose then of all times to absorb Jugram's power.

People joke about Renji but Ishida gets done absolutely dirty.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the biggest own on ishida is still that mayuri is walking around free and unrepentant.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Don't forget that Mayuri "saves" him while also revealing that during their fight back in SS he somehow filled his body with surveillance bacteria (???) that allow him to monitor everything Ishida does and wherever he goes. This is played for comedy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is pretty funny, in a very warped way

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Holy poo poo are we actually getting Hell Arc?

2020s officially the decade of Kubo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/RAGS_Comix/status/1424862185650483205

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
An absolutely relentless chaos dunk on DBS and Bort, lol.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

This was :krad:, been dying to learn how to play this forever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia3Zad1ntIw

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
FMA didn't run in Shonen Jump and Dragonball was already over for a decade in 2006 c'mon son

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Please don't let Chad job again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Extremely on the nose that characters are getting dragged out of hell like I am coming back to this (now ongoing?) manga.