Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

blight rhino posted:

please don't hate me, guys.

The thing is: you're being thoughtful about your feelings and you are being introspective. No hate, its just fine to have gut feelings and think them through and talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

pseudodragon posted:

Mandated vaccination is in line with libertarian beliefs. as a federal worker, the government making you get a vaccine is not acting as the government. They are acting as your boss. And it’s 100% libertarian doctrine for your boss to fire you for whatever reason they want. They aren’t tieing employees up and force injecting them, if they don’t like the working conditions spelled out by the boss, they have every right to quit and find a new drat job.

Yep, if you contrast this to the cases where a judge has ordered someone to get a vaxx as part of their probation requirements and risk prison if they go unvaxxed it's clearly a whole different scenario. Workers have the option of testing or even finding a different job, these convictees are genuinely being forced under direct threat.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/09/us/ohio-judge-covid-vaccine.html posted:

quote:

Get a Covid-19 Vaccine or Face Prison, Judges Order in Probation Cases

At least two judges in Ohio have made receiving Covid-19 vaccinations a condition of probation. While judges have leeway in setting such rules, it’s a murky area, experts said.

As cases of coronavirus infections rise in Ohio, some judges have attached unusual conditions for those released on probation: Get a Covid-19 vaccine or face being sent to prison.

On Aug. 4, Judge Christopher A. Wagner of the Court of Common Pleas in Hamilton County told Brandon Rutherford, who was convicted on drug offenses, that as part of his release on “community control,” or probation, he must receive the vaccination within 60 days.

“I’m just a judge, not a doctor, but I think the vaccine’s a lot safer than fentanyl, which is what you had in your pocket,” the judge told Mr. Rutherford, 21, according to a transcript provided by the judge’s office on Monday.

“I’m going to order you, within the next two months, to get a vaccine and show that to the probation office,” the judge said. “You violate, you could go to prison.”
(..)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also the Landlords Association recently presented a legal challenge against the CDC's proposed extension on the eviction moratorium claiming it's breaching their Third Amendment constitutional rights. :v: :v:
("No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner". They're arguing that some of the tenants must be armed forces personnel sooooooo ......)
https://reason.com/2021/08/10/is-the-cdcs-eviction-moratorium-a-third-amendment-violation/

so what you're saying is, we're allowed to evict the veterans, Are Troops, but nobody else. well somethin is better than nothin!!! :black101:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I know a few people at work that refused to get Pfizer or Moderna for that reason and got the J&J. I guess 67% efficacy is better than nothing.

Those 60-80% vaccine efficiency ratings people throw around undersell their benefits pretty severely. What should be emphasized more is that all three are something like 90+% effective preventing hospitalization and virtually 100% effective at preventing covid death.

The Johnson & Johnson (& Janssen) being a one-and-done means you get fully vaccinated in 2 weeks rather than nearly a month after the first dose, it does have its own advantages.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I’m not sure that a Landlord’s Association is the *most* despicable group of people you can imagine, but they’ve gotta be high on the list.

In other news, a dude who took Bret Weinstein’s advice on vaccines and horse paste has died. One guess as to the cause.

https://twitter.com/ydeigin/status/1424933228176101379?s=20

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
And mandatory child vaccines are the jackboot of government thugs stomping youre child and famil clearly :allears:

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

AHH F/UGH posted:

No it's the right stance that the government shouldn't be able to force you to put anything in your body that you don't want, but also that they're under no obligation to force you to live in a bubble for the rest of your life if you willingly choose to be a plague bearer

I agree. and it's just a twinge

Inept posted:

is forcing people to wear seatbelts messed up too

it's just a twinge, bro. I said it's a good thing, i just don't really have to agree with it.

pseudodragon posted:

Mandated vaccination is in line with libertarian beliefs. as a federal worker, the government making you get a vaccine is not acting as the government. They are acting as your boss. And it’s 100% libertarian doctrine for your boss to fire you for whatever reason they want. They aren’t tieing employees up and force injecting them, if they don’t like the working conditions spelled out by the boss, they have every right to quit and find a new drat job.

that's fair, and a good point.

How are u posted:

The thing is: you're being thoughtful about your feelings and you are being introspective. No hate, its just fine to have gut feelings and think them through and talk about it.

lol, thank you. Like I said, I was surprised I even felt like that when they said it'd be mandated for government civilians.

e- well there were a few more. But thanks for your honest opinions, folks. Like I said, everyone should be vaccinated. Everyone should want to get vaccinated. But I know that's not the case.
Anyone I know that I work with that push back on it, I'd still try to convince them.
It's just the whole forced mandate terminology that picks at me

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 11, 2021

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

DickParasite posted:

I have some of the same concerns. On the other hand anti-vaxxers are probably dead weight on the government as a whole, so this could be a great opportunity to lighten the load a bit.

and then i could finally get a promotion, so I'm starting to warm to this idea

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So the Hospital in LA where my wife works is now full and the previously torn down covid tents outside are back up and also full.

:shrug:

Also a guy at work who has been fully vaxxed for about 3 months caught covid for the first time and his sister in law who he got it from is in the hospital with it. She's young and healthy from what he says. His wife and kids didn't test positive though which is good I guess but also is weird but whatever.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

blight rhino posted:

I agree. and it's just a twinge

it's just a twinge, bro. I said it's a good thing, i just don't really have to agree with it.

that's fair, and a good point.

lol, thank you. Like I said, I was surprised I even felt like that when they said it'd be mandated for government civilians.

e- well there were a few more. But thanks for your honest opinions, folks. Like I said, everyone should be vaccinated. Everyone should want to get vaccinated. But I know that's not the case.
Anyone I know that I work with that push back on it, I'd still try to convince them.

Out of curiosity, what is your stance on restaurant workers not washing their hands before prepping food? Or a doctor in a government hospital not wanting to wear a mask when doing surgery?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

MarcusSA posted:

So the Hospital in LA where my wife works is now full and the previously torn down covid tents outside are back up and also full.

:shrug:

Also a guy at work who has been fully vaxxed for about 3 months caught covid for the first time and his sister in law who he got it from is in the hospital with it. She's young and healthy from what he says. His wife and kids didn't test positive though which is good I guess but also is weird but whatever.

I’m on the metro right now and I had (now past tense) more faith in my fellow Angelinos with mask adherence. Thank god I have a N95.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Zugzwang posted:

I’m not sure that a Landlord’s Association is the *most* despicable group of people you can imagine, but they’ve gotta be high on the list.

In other news, a dude who took Bret Weinstein’s advice on vaccines and horse paste has died. One guess as to the cause.

https://twitter.com/ydeigin/status/1424933228176101379?s=20

The whole "he was brainwashed" thing is imo counterproductive handwringing. We can look back when this is all over and talk about social pressures or media brainwashing, but in the midst of it the reality is if this guy didn't die he would not have gone "oh that was a terrible gamble I got lucky with", he would have been emboldened and convinced others to follow his methodology and when they died he would have written it off as them making the right decision but getting unlucky. It's like crypto people who have deluded themselves into thinking they didn't gamble their mortgage, they were smart and took calculated risks.

He was an idiot and him dying legitimately will prevent more death than had he lived in the same circumstances. We shouldn't be loving around with kids gloves for people like this, every anti vaxx anti mask covid denier that eats poo poo should be plastered all over the news like those weird scare stories about hiv laced razors under gas pumps or rainbow parties your daughter attends. I already know the news is capable of pulling scare stories out of their rear end that boomers freak out over, why can't they go all in over this legitimate problem.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

buglord posted:

I’m on the metro right now and I had (now past tense) more faith in my fellow Angelinos with mask adherence. Thank god I have a N95.

I mean tbh people seem to be doing pretty decently. I was at the mall on Saturday and I think I saw 5 people not wearing a mask.

Fwiw they were all different demographics.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

blight rhino posted:

I got the vaxx for two reasons:
1. I saw which way the wind was blowing with vaccine passports and my current employment is precarious
2. My friends were all vaxxed and I felt like I wasn't being a good tribesman

But I very deeply resent that I felt coerced to get it for those reasons and not because I was afraid of Covid, or that I believe The Science, or that I think requiring proof of vaccination is an acceptable ask by government or private industry.

I'll end it there because I don't want to be a crank, but you're not alone in being hesitant on these dead dumb forums.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I got the vaccine because the it was scientifically proven to be effective in trials while covid has killed hundreds of thousands in 1 year.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

just another posted:

1. I saw which way the wind was blowing with vaccine passports and my current employment is precarious

But I very deeply resent that I felt coerced to get it for those reasons and not because I was afraid of Covid, or that I believe The Science, or that I think requiring proof of vaccination is an acceptable ask by government or private industry.

I'll end it there because I don't want to be a crank, but you're not alone in being hesitant on these dead dumb forums.

you’re a dumbass

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

or a selfish prick. can’t really tell

stump collector
May 28, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Spread of delta coincides with spread of those cheap Garth Brooks vinyl boxsets. I think you're on to something.

Genuinely frustrates me someone earning $300/hr is this dumb. Hope he bites it and an immigrant gets his job (who'll then get minimum wage).

He also just had 70k fans attend a concert at arrowhead in kc. We're hosed

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Two close friends who vaccinated early, wear masks, and don't go anywhere or do anything just tested positive and think they caught it at the office they work in, where everyone is already vaccinated and always masked up except to eat and drink. Which in hindsight, seems like a pretty stupid shortcoming of the rules when the delta variant is more transmissable than chickenpox. Time to start eating in my car I guess

They are both young, fit, healthy, vaccinated, and apparently getting destroyed by the symptoms right now.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

just another posted:

You’re already a crank, hth

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

just another posted:

Everyone is ripping into you, but I just want to thank you for providing a good example for

1. Vaccine passports and employer mandates

2. Ostracism

The system works. :patriot:

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

You’re already a crank, hth

He's a crank, but I don't know why he would care. If helping others is too onerous, why does it matter what they think of you?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

blight rhino posted:

Suck it up, snowflake. Being part of society means you gotta do some poo poo for the other people around you.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

just another posted:

why did you capitalize The Science like that

is it some kind of ironic science?

what tribe do you hail from?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I got the vaxx because I don’t want to die of a preventable illness. YMMV.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
I got vaccinated because it's safe and effective.
Also, I got over my oppositional defiance disorder at age 3.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

withak posted:

I got the vaxx because I don’t want to die of a preventable illness. YMMV.

That or live with long covid symptoms. Also because despite my general indifference towards other people, I don't want to be responsible for transmitting an illness that kills someone else or significantly impacts their quality of life.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It is every citizens duty to go into vax tanks and become one with 5g

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I got the vaccine because it was time to shed my humanity and become Greater.

Also because I didn't want to die of a preventable disease.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

QuarkJets posted:

Two close friends who vaccinated early, wear masks, and don't go anywhere or do anything just tested positive and think they caught it at the office they work in, where everyone is already vaccinated and always masked up except to eat and drink. Which in hindsight, seems like a pretty stupid shortcoming of the rules when the delta variant is more transmissable than chickenpox. Time to start eating in my car I guess

They are both young, fit, healthy, vaccinated, and apparently getting destroyed by the symptoms right now.

you didn't get the memo that covid respects breaks and lunch time?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ArbitraryC posted:

The whole "he was brainwashed" thing is imo counterproductive handwringing. We can look back when this is all over and talk about social pressures or media brainwashing, but in the midst of it the reality is if this guy didn't die he would not have gone "oh that was a terrible gamble I got lucky with", he would have been emboldened and convinced others to follow his methodology and when they died he would have written it off as them making the right decision but getting unlucky. It's like crypto people who have deluded themselves into thinking they didn't gamble their mortgage, they were smart and took calculated risks.

He was an idiot and him dying legitimately will prevent more death than had he lived in the same circumstances. We shouldn't be loving around with kids gloves for people like this, every anti vaxx anti mask covid denier that eats poo poo should be plastered all over the news like those weird scare stories about hiv laced razors under gas pumps or rainbow parties your daughter attends. I already know the news is capable of pulling scare stories out of their rear end that boomers freak out over, why can't they go all in over this legitimate problem.
Yeah he’s a moron whose story should be plastered everywhere. But the con artists pushing this disinformation also deserve scornprison.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

blight rhino posted:

I'm vax'd. I was a slow adopter out of laziness, and got it in late April/early June.

I'm a federal worker. And they're figuring out how it's going to be mandated. I can totally understand mandating it for military. They own you.

And I know EVERYONE needs to get it. For the good of humanity.

but, man, there is some part of me that I was surprised to find out, that I think forcing gov't civilians to get it is kind of messed up. Our command hasn't really talked about specifics.

maybe i have a tiny libertarian streak or something. It'll legit be a good thing, and not affect me at all, but my hackles kind of just raise because of THE AUTHORITAY.

it's such a stupid feeling, and goes against my internal logic and feelings, but still. that stupid inkling of a feeling is there.

this is probably a better post in the 'We're just going to admit it' thread

e- also to just chime in, they asked for my insurance info, but I wasn't charged or anything, so I don't get what was up with that.
AND they didn't give me my COVID card on the second shot. I had to go back and ask for one. wtf. CVS

The fact that you are asking these questions and not immediately reacting with "VIOLATION OF LIBERTIES" rantspeak like some paint-huffing chud already speaks volumes about your character, so well done, like I'm not being sarcastic it's totally good to reflect on this gut feeling and to seek feedback

My feedback is this: I am fully on board with mandated vaccinations and can't for sure know where you're coming from, but presumably there are other lines that you and your coworkers have crossed without even thinking about it. If you have any kind of clearance then that's a bunch of rights voluntarily given away right there as a condition of employment. Presumably you all also agree to follow other employment rules that have placed some limitations on your personal liberties.

Every job comes with certain conditions for employment, and those conditions change over time. It's not like you'd feel bad about someone being "forced" to use a computer instead of a typewriter.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah he’s a moron whose story should be plastered everywhere. But the con artists pushing this disinformation also deserve scornprison.

The fuckwit in Australia who breached the covid lockdown travel restrictions a few days ago and turned out to be covid positive (and is now in hospital) has been officially charged.

He's a loon who doesn't believe the pandemic is real so he didn't use the QR contact tracing app at any of the places he visited and he was refusing to cooperate so we don't know exactly where he went. His family has also tested positive to covid.
We've had to lockdown the entire region, so far there's been no further cases up there but it's pretty much inevitable.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ps it felt super good to spread my cyberwings after hatching out of a cocoon made of 5g, the Pfizer vaccine loving rules

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

The fuckwit in Australia who breached the covid lockdown travel restrictions a few days ago and turned out to be covid positive (and is now in hospital) has been officially charged.

He's a loon who doesn't believe the pandemic is real so he didn't use the QR contact tracing app at any of the places he visited and he was refusing to cooperate so we don't know exactly where he went. His family has also tested positive to covid.
We've had to lockdown the entire region, so far there's been no further cases up there but it's pretty much inevitable.
It’s astonishing how one stupid person can do so much damage. Like the people who have pyrotechnic gender reveal parties in California in the summer.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Speaking of smug fuckwits .....

https://twitter.com/NotE0157H7/status/1424621231467163648

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
What matters to me re this discussion is actually no one is being "forced."
Military or scientists in coats are not going door to door and forcibly injecting people.

THAT is actually being forced..

Instead it's various types of societal pressure including some employment. Hooray :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alexander Blechman posted:

Once upon a time, there was a racist tree. Seriously, you are going to hate this tree. High on a hill overlooking the town, the racist tree grew where the grass was half clover. Children would visit during the sunlit hours and ask for apples, and the racist tree would shake its branches and drop the delicious red fruit that gleamed without being polished. The children ate many of the racist tree's apples and played games beneath the shade of its racist branches. One day the children brought Sam, a boy who had just moved to town, to play around the racist tree.

"Let Sam have an apple," asked a little girl.

"I don't think so. He's black," said the tree. This shocked the children and they spoke to the tree angrily, but it would not shake its branches to give Sam an apple, and it called him a friend of the family.

"I can't believe the racist tree is such a racist," said one child. The children momentarily reflected that perhaps this kind of behavior was how the racist tree got its name.

It was decided that if the tree was going to deny apples to Sam then nobody would take its apples. The children stopped visiting the racist tree.

The racist tree grew quite lonely. After many solitary weeks it saw a child flying a kite across the clover field.

"Can I offer you some apples?" asked the tree eagerly.

"gently caress off, you goddamn Nazi," said the child.

The racist tree was upset, because while it was very racist, it did not personally subscribe to Hitler's fascist ideology. The racist tree decided that it would have to give apples to black children, not because it was tolerant, but because otherwise it would face ostracism from white children.

And so, social progress was made.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

This little excerpt is great:

The Sydney Morning Herald posted:

Sydney man who travelled to Byron to be charged with public health order breach

...It has emerged that Mr Radovanovic has historical convictions for burglary, theft, criminal damage, drug and forgery offences – a record that was scrutinised when he successfully prevented his deportation to Serbia two decades ago.

In the Administrative Appeals Tribunal in 2000, Mr Radovanovic successfully appealed a federal government attempt to cancel his visa and deport him to the former Yugoslavia.

AAT Deputy President B.M. Forrest said he was “not satisfied that [Mr Radovanovic] passes the character test” but exercised his discretion to allow the man to stay in Australia...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
A nurse I used to work with posted one of those profile frames on FB saying “against vaccine mandates, for medical freedom”. I commented asking if she is similarly against the vaccines that have always been required to work as a nurse or for her kids to go to school.

Guess who’s now defriended and blocked