Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Godholio posted:

Typically you fly things on a C-17 because it's better than driving/shipping them. That C-17 was loaded when it landed, and had to be unloaded to take off. In addition to transporting the cargo, you also need to send the AF cops over to guard the stupid thing. And yeah, possibly have the runway inspected for damage.

Why would it need to be guarded? I mean I saw two UH-1Ys at CMH this morning, with (empty) rocket pods, no less, just sitting by themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

A guy I knew told a story about how he was ferrying a GA plane with someone. The other guy was setting up for a straight in to the airport, called runway in sight, was just about to flare, saw that the ramp was lined with fighter jets and started climbing again.

Turns out his airport's runway was on the same heading as this one, except that it was several miles further down the runway heading. They gave him a number to call

That happens the other way ‘round, too:

https://www.flyingmag.com/news/cause-c-17-landing-too-small-airport-revealed/

quote:

Rather than touching down at its intended destination — the MacDill Air Force Base (KMCF) in Tampa, Florida — the large cargo airplane landed at the Peter O Knight (KTPF) general aviation airport. KTPF is located about five miles northeast of KMCF on a similar albeit significantly smaller peninsula. The runway heading would have indicated to the pilots that they were approaching the right airport as both airports have the same Runway 4-22.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Why would it need to be guarded? I mean I saw two UH-1Ys at CMH this morning, with (empty) rocket pods, no less, just sitting by themselves.

That doesn’t mean that there weren’t some very bored security forces watching it from the FBO or wherever they wouldn’t be in the way of regular operations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cool, but did you hear that one where a drat C-17 landed at GA airfield in Tampa? By mistake apparently.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
So, what actually happens when they give you a number? I assume you have to explain what happened and provide your info, but does anything more really come it?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ola posted:

Cool, but did you hear that one where a drat C-17 landed at GA airfield in Tampa? By mistake apparently.

Man, this gave me the weirdest deja vu. I watched a video of this one time a C-17 landed at a small airport in Tampa by mistake. Crazy, right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

So, what actually happens when they give you a number? I assume you have to explain what happened and provide your info, but does anything more really come it?

In this scenario it’s important to remember the FAA are cops, they may just want to yell at you but they could also do anything up to revoking your license and referring you for prosecution.
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2008/june/flight-training-magazine/cfis-and-the-g-man

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Theoretically the FAA is compliance focussed. If a serious phone call gets you on the straight and level, that can be the end of it.

If you’re a repeat offender and blowing them off, they’ll take off the gloves.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Raptor man has new aircraft project.

EDIT: Electric hybrid propulsion system.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

atomicpile posted:

Early reviews are coming in (on Youtube) and

quote:

tell me you have real engineers working on project this time.

quote:

Sooooo...what was the point of all those flight test hours on the first version if you were planning something completely different? Is any of the data you gathered useful for the program going forward with a different airframe and powerplant?

quote:

Unconventional powerplant/propulsion, untested novel aerodynamics all being developed simultaneously by the guy who brought you an obviously overweight, underpowered conventional platform underperforming airframe. The powertrain can be iron birded but there’s no way to developer the airframe independently of that great experiment. My advice to investors,”Raise handles, squeeze triggers, eject, eject, eject.” Glad only the corn got hurt.

quote:

Wow. Rather than beginning to reduce the weight on the first design and at least try to get a kit to those who have actually paid, you jump into the next prototype of a completely different design that will use an even less proven propulsion system. So much for those people who have faithfully left their deposits expecting improvements on the original design and an imminent delivery.

quote:

I know for a fact that you have taken a ton of money from people as a deposit for "version 1" of the raptor. I know someone personally that has given you like $10-$20K years ago for one. Are you giving them there money back now that you have completely changed the design and direction? I can tell you for a fact that the reason my friend put the deposit down was because it was pressurized. This seems like a full on grift now.

they're mixed. It's about 50/50 between stuff like the above and "wow cool keep moving forwards!!"

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
To be fair, electric propulsion is a hell of a lot simpler than an internal combustion engine, but given how the last project went, I half expect him to somehow manage to get CO poisoning off an electric motor.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I found the flight track for the crash flight, incidentally:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N352TD/history/20210806/1058Z/KMHK

Does anyone know why he decided to fly this thing cross-country at less than 1500' AGL? He doesn't hit more than 3000 MSL at any point, doing most of it at 2700, and the terrain along his path varies between 1000-1600 MSL.

Is it so seriously underpowered that it just...can't climb any higher? Mega oof

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

azflyboy posted:

To be fair, electric propulsion is a hell of a lot simpler than an internal combustion engine, but given how the last project went, I half expect him to somehow manage to get CO poisoning off an electric motor.

Electric-HYBRID. It’s going to have a “generator with a small battery or two” to provide power to the electric fans.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

atomicpile posted:

lmaooooo :munch:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Ola posted:

gently caress me. I glaze over most videos.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

atomicpile posted:

Electric-HYBRID. It’s going to have a “generator with a small battery or two” to provide power to the electric fans.

Here comes the Tesla variant of the Raptor, RIP

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Say, what is the state of the art with electric propulsion for aircraft anyway?

I assume real companies with actual engineers must be working on it these days.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Huh. Patey flew his plane with an airboat prop and it wasn’t a complete disaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqTY446hXzs

He talks about the prop about seven minutes in.

It’s limiting his cruise performance and he’s working on a custom replacement, but that’s farther than I thought he would get with it.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sagebrush posted:

Does anyone know why he decided to fly this thing cross-country at less than 1500' AGL? He doesn't hit more than 3000 MSL at any point, doing most of it at 2700, and the terrain along his path varies between 1000-1600 MSL.

Is it so seriously underpowered that it just...can't climb any higher? Mega oof

The engine cooling system Muller designed doesn't do much. He can't run the engine at max power settings for very long, whether or not he's in the air. The early flights which weren't cut short by the wobbling were cut short by the inevitable overheating emergency.

He came up with a bunch of rube goldberg tweaks, including running the cabin heater at full blast (lol), but none of it was enough. So he worked up procedures which let him stay in the air longer and gave the illusion of forward progress: take off early in the morning when it's cooler, climb at an anemic rate, watch temperature gauges like a hawk, level off and reduce power further as soon as they get dangerously high. That's why he was cross-countrying so low and slow.

Nobody should be taking an airplane like Raptor up at all, but if he absolutely had to, he should've been staying within glide range of a runway at all times, not trying to limp that pitiful thing over terrain. This crash was next-level getthereitis.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Platystemon posted:

Huh. Patey flew his plane with an airboat prop and it wasn’t a complete disaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqTY446hXzs

He talks about the prop about seven minutes in.

It’s limiting his cruise performance and he’s working on a custom replacement, but that’s farther than I thought he would get with it.

An airboat prop ruining his cruise performance?

SAY IT AINT SO

I’m too lazy to dig through my posts but I’m pretty sure I called that. For every seriously impressive thing (the drooping ailerons are seriously trick) he does, there’s at least one complete :wtc:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Say, what is the state of the art with electric propulsion for aircraft anyway?

I assume real companies with actual engineers must be working on it these days.

A lot of prototypes, projects and experiments, but not a lot of off the shelf items out there. Gliders are using electric engines more and more for maintaining altitude though.

Only type certified electric I could find:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipistrel_Velis_Electro

I expect there to be more as time goes by though. Electrics make sense for small trainers.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
That plane is optimized for short field performance and not cruise, that's the fundamental stated design goal. Mocking a component that works toward that end is like mocking Airbus for their abysmal lack of sand bar landing features.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Platystemon posted:

It’s limiting his cruise performance

who could have predicted this :iiam:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BobHoward posted:

He came up with a bunch of rube goldberg tweaks, including running the cabin heater at full blast (lol), but none of it was enough.

:psyduck:

FFFFFF

I'm astonished, that's like something one would do when dealing with a junkyard oldsmobile

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Fellas I’m starting to think maybe the raptor guy isn’t smart. :thunk:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

e.pilot posted:

Fellas I’m starting to think maybe the raptor guy isn’t smart. :thunk:

maybe you just don't understand aircraft development
man's out there showing boeing and airbus how it's done and you haters just keep metaphorically crashlanding him down in a corn field!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

atomicpile posted:

The Moller Skycar is back, motherfuckers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BobHoward posted:

he worked up procedures which let him stay in the air longer and gave the illusion of forward progress: take off early in the morning when it's cooler, climb at an anemic rate, watch temperature gauges like a hawk, level off and reduce power further as soon as they get dangerously high. That's why he was cross-countrying so low and slow.

Good loving lord.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vessbot posted:

That plane is optimized for short field performance and not cruise, that's the fundamental stated design goal. Mocking a component that works toward that end is like mocking Airbus for their abysmal lack of sand bar landing features.

As Sully showed the landing features are fine, take offs may be a problem though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

vessbot posted:

And he specifically states in this video and in previous ones that it's just a placeholder until he can find the right constant speed prop.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I don't know what the C-17's specific requirements are, but every military aircraft has a security requirement. At least on the USAF side, and probably in every service, there is classified material or equipment. It could be as simple as the crypto for secure radios or computer equipment or it could be the physical aircraft itself (ie F-22/F-35). My E-3 diverted to a civilian airport due to thunderstorms cutting us off while we were out over water and unable to get to any military installation, and we had to leave crewmembers with the jet for several days until we could leave again (because the local-ish ANG unit refused to send over a couple of cops). Each service has their own standards, and some are more lax than others.

Edit: As mentioned, either somebody had eyes on those helicopters, or their requirements are low/waived low enough that whatever inherent security the airfield had was sufficient. It's possible that airport has some kind of arrangement since it's managed by the same company that overseas Rickenbacker, which has a military presence.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 11, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

vessbot posted:

An airboat propeller like what he’s got there isn’t optimized for short field performance, it’s optimized for static thrust to move a heavy boat across all manner of surfaces (not just water,) and to resist debris damage. Maximum push at zero relative wind is king in airboat props, but with that in mind, racing airboats still use ground-adjustable fixed-pitch props that look suspiciously like airplane propellers, since they want to deliver peak thrust at higher relative wind speeds.

A max-effort STOL airplane is going to have a ground-adjustable fixed pitch prop to save weight, but also allow you to use the airplane for other things. Given the rest of that airplane, a constant speed prop with a really aggressive STOL-oriented blade design makes total sense, and I have no idea why he threw a loving airboat prop on there in the first place, except maybe for the YouTube clicks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Godholio posted:

...every military aircraft has a security requirement. At least on the USAF side, and probably in every service, there is classified material or equipment.

I remember way back when, my father pulled some strings and allowed me to play around in the MH-53E simulator at Norfolk (they turned full-motion off because they were afraid I'd puke or go "full kid" and potentially overstress the hydraulics with wild movements). They had to put a glorified sock over the control panel for the minesweeping gear even though I was ten at the time.

Obviously some poo poo has changed because in this video they just kinda-sorta cover it with "keep the gently caress out" tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGEGemv73v4

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Godholio posted:

Each service has their own standards, and some are more lax than others.

An apache crew doing some nav exercises flew into the untowered nominally secured airport I worked at in college. They hopped out, told us we could keep it if we could start it, left the canopy open for us, then they hosed off in the courtesy car to get some Hardee's.

Not to disagree with your point, but I get the picture ymmv with regards to enforcement/compliance

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 11, 2021

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
so did you start it?

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
You can infer from the fact that I'm posting that I'm not either in a federal penitentiary or flying an apache right now

God drat I was tempted

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
There is a 0% chance they took their checklists to Hardees, so that was a pretty low bar to be stopped by.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

besides, if you did start it, what are they gonna do about it? now you have an attack helicopter

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

besides, if you did start it, what are they gonna do about it? now you have an attack helicopter

You ever see Blue Thunder? Or Air Wolf? Yeah, livin the dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

10 spicy chicken sandwiches and ten small waters, please.

No! Make that two large waters. We're rolling in style now.