Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Stack Machine posted:

I can't make the earth cooler, but I can make some corn in my cooler:

this sounds fine? it's basically just steaming them, which yeah, is a good way to cook corn on the cob. it's not something i'd do at home but it's a plausible tailgate thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

OPAONI posted:

That's not surprising.

Sorry to back up, but can I ask what Robin would be a surprise to learn is bi?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

So these are the panels that gorka is going wild over https://twitter.com/Croc_Block/status/1424945870735216644?s=19

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Absolutely ridiculous. Just so incredibly unrealistic.

We're supposed to believe both of these guys fight southpaw? I mean, certainly it appears at least Robin can switch-hit, but still.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I keep forgeting that gorka is a real person and not just the guy who impersonates him on chapo.

hey

respect the Dr. dragon of budapest.

also respect his automatic transmission sports car with ARTOFWAR plate.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

this sounds fine? it's basically just steaming them, which yeah, is a good way to cook corn on the cob. it's not something i'd do at home but it's a plausible tailgate thing.

It freaks me out to see someone boiling something in just any old plastic vessel. It's possible I'm just unreasonably squeamish, but that makes me feel the same way I feel when I've soldered and haven't washed my hands yet.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

FreudianSlippers posted:

Forrest Gump is a dark comedy about how the American Dream is bullshit as illustrated by a developmentally challenged descendant of the first KKK Grand Wizard stumbling into being a millionaire war hero with no effort.

This is also applicable to Harry Potter. That wonderful phenomenon of mediocre white men failing upwards.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Cleretic posted:

I'm kind of surprised it's not Dick Grayson, he's already hosed every woman in the DCU, I figured the writers were just out of women to hook him up with.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Iceman gay so what.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://twitter.com/Scaramucci/status/1423026511947309060?s=19

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Man, he can never last longer than a week can he?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Idiots on Social Media, you say?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/twitter-temporarily-suspends-marjorie-taylor-greenes-account/story?id=79379728

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Cleretic posted:

Dick Grayson, straight ultraslut of the DCU is canon.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Cleretic posted:

Jason Todd would be an odd choice because he's too angsty to gently caress anyone. And Damian Wayne would be awkward mostly because he's like 12.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

RoboRodent posted:

I haven't seen Forrest Gump since I was eleven or so. I'm sure a lot of it went over my head. I'm a little curious as to how it looks to me now.

Well, it's the magical disabled person trope. Which is already not a great starting point.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's difficult to watch Forrest Gump nowadays and not be horrendously annoyed by the subtext of it, intentional and unintentional. It's a movie well-made and well-acted but the portrait it paints takes such a particular slant on the story of America as the Boomers knew it that if it weren't so affectionately sincere it could veer into parody. Examined from basically any angle it's a story of pure, distilled nostalgia, and basically nothing of reality, so much so that it collapses decades' worth of major events into a feature length film, not an unusual thing unto itself but that movie in particular just tugs the Boomer heartstrings so perfectly that it really is kind of transcendent. I mean, for God's sake, a major selling point of the movie was how it had scenes that digitally inserted Tom Hanks into actual footage of real events. That combined with the idea that America is such a place where any dullard with a shut-up-and-put-your-nose-to-the-grindstone attitude and enough gumption (do you get it) can be successful really puts it in perspective for those of us who are the children of the target audience. It's a movie made for the Aaron Sorkins of the world who have simultaneously deep disdain and affection for the outcomes of the 60s and 70s and are not cognizant of their contradictions.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

People got pissed that Loki had a throwaway line about him sleeping with dudes and it pissed off a bunch of people. Why though? What made people assume that guy was purely hetero?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

What Damien is still Robin. The title is just click bait as far as I know

Right but apparently they took away the previous retcon that he'd NEVER been Robin. New 52 or rebirth (gently caress they all run together now) made it so he'd never officially been Robin. Apparently a new relaunch undid that so he was in fact Robin for a while. Also it seems like both Tim Drake and Damien are Robin? I don't know I can't follow it anymore. But Wikipedia says he was and is now Robin. Whatever it's dumb, I just wanna see dorks like Gorka get mad about stuff.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

grittyreboot posted:

People got pissed that Loki had a throwaway line about him sleeping with dudes and it pissed off a bunch of people. Why though? What made people assume that guy was purely hetero?
Jokes on them he's also genderqueer so now they get to struggle with how to categorize his sexuality in relation to his gender compared to his sexual partners at any given moment bc of obsessively needing to know how straight everyone is acting at any given point.

What I'm saying is bigots go nuts over people, fictional or not, breaking their preconceived rules of reality.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

grittyreboot posted:

I think it was literally just "comic man no gay grrrrrr" from people who define themselves by the media they consume

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

have you seen the first season of tng?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

snergle posted:

have you seen the first season of tng?

Bring back Starfleet minidresses for men

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CharlestheHammer posted:

No I mean it’s just stuff. Forrest goes to an event stuff happens, then he goes to another event with little relation to the last.

It’s honestly set up like a tv show. Just make each event an episode. His relationship with Jan is the only real connective tissue

So it’s basically the odyssey is what you’re telling me

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'd be pissed if they retconned Dick into being bi. He's the biggest himbo in the DCU. He's like the daredevil of the dc universe.

Tim being bi kinda fits but only because Damion is too young and Jason is too angry to even really have any sort of relationship. I could see it being Damion if they kept Jon Kent his age, cause I could see it being some coming of age kinda thing, but they aged him up a few years, so that relationship would be incredibly weird now.

Tim is the go to guy for weird changes no one really asked for. Hell, they killed his dad off a few years back to kick off some pointless crossover event. Dude cannot catch a break.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Zesty posted:

Well, it's the magical disabled person trope. Which is already not a great starting point.

Yeah, uh, I think this is why I haven't made an effort to rewatch it.

Maybe one of these days I'll get stoned and yell at it.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'd be pissed if they retconned Dick into being bi. He's the biggest himbo in the DCU. He's like the daredevil of the dc universe
Okay, first thing: lol, you loving turnip. Second thing: still lolling gimme a sec. Third thing: people grow and change over the course of their lives so I mean, it's hardly out of the realm of possibility that a heretofore "straight" guy might decide, in an environment of increasing acceptance, to try that newfangled dick that all the young folks seem to be crazy for these days and, whaddaya know, like it. Fourth thing: this is really the same as the first two things, but I'm composed enough to explicitly say that getting mad about whether a person who doesn't even exist sucks a dick is sad and weird

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also the discussions of Damien being "Too young" to be gay/bisexual just falls into the conservative trap of assuming being non-straight is inherently a sex thing (ie "HOW WILL I EXPLAIN 2 MEN BEING IN A LOVING RELATIONSHIP TO MY CHILDREN! I'LL HAVE TO DESCRIBE HOW THEY gently caress!" no you won't you weirdo...). Just because a 12 year old has a romantic connection with someone of the same gender doesn't mean they have to be sexually active right then and there.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

getting mad about whether a person who doesn't even exist sucks a dick is sad and weird

is this too long for a thread title?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Okay, first thing: lol, you loving turnip. Second thing: still lolling gimme a sec. Third thing: people grow and change over the course of their lives so I mean, it's hardly out of the realm of possibility that a heretofore "straight" guy might decide, in an environment of increasing acceptance, to try that newfangled dick that all the young folks seem to be crazy for these days and, whaddaya know, like it. Fourth thing: this is really the same as the first two things, but I'm composed enough to explicitly say that getting mad about whether a person who doesn't even exist sucks a dick is sad and weird

lol, newfangled dick

Also, Forrest Gump is Ready Player One for boomers

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Ghost Leviathan posted:

lol, newfangled dick

Also, Forrest Gump is Ready Player One for boomers
I mean it came first, so Ready Player One is really just Forrest Gump for gross coked-out nerds

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Also there is the whole Jenny storyline, where she joins the hippie counterculture, becomes an addict and abuse victim, and ends up dying of an "unknown virus" (i.e. AIDS). Meanwhile Forrest serves honorably in Vietnam and becomes a businessman and millionaire investor. The filmmakers may not have intended to suggest that choosing military service and capitalism without questioning it leads to success while trying to live a different way leads to misery and death, but the film certainly supports that reading.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

BioEnchanted posted:

Also the discussions of Damien being "Too young" to be gay/bisexual just falls into the conservative trap of assuming being non-straight is inherently a sex thing (ie "HOW WILL I EXPLAIN 2 MEN BEING IN A LOVING RELATIONSHIP TO MY CHILDREN! I'LL HAVE TO DESCRIBE HOW THEY gently caress!" no you won't you weirdo...). Just because a 12 year old has a romantic connection with someone of the same gender doesn't mean they have to be sexually active right then and there.
I vaguely remember Damien having a romantic seeming connection with a girl in, uuuh... right, Gotham Academy. Nothing age inappropriate, just them clicking when running around doing a thing and becoming friends. Which is to say, a 12 year old can definitely be queer and not have that go weird places.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PetraCore posted:

I vaguely remember Damien having a romantic seeming connection with a girl in, uuuh... right, Gotham Academy. Nothing age inappropriate, just them clicking when running around doing a thing and becoming friends. Which is to say, a 12 year old can definitely be queer and not have that go weird places.

Most of what I've seen of Damien is really funny since on top of being a little rear end in a top hat he's got a bit of girls have cooties going on. Mostly I recall when he's going undercover with Supergirl.

Also really funny in the Batman vs TMNT movie. He's exactly the Robin to be interacting with the Turtles.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There was nearly a sequel to Forest Gump. Eric Roth finished the script and delivered to Hanks and Zemeckis on September 10th, 2001. They met the next day and decided not to do it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2019/03/21/forrest-gump-sequel-script-felt-meaningless-after-9-11-says-writer/3231469002/

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Batman vs TMNT movie

The what

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

quote:

“I had (Forrest) in the back of (O.J. Simpson's) Bronco,” Roth told Yahoo, referencing the infamous 1994 car chase. “He would look up occasionally, but they didn’t see him in the rearview mirror, and then he’d pop down.

“I had him as a ballroom dancer who was really good, he could do the (rotation) ballroom dancing. And then eventually, just as sort of a charity kind of thing, he danced with Princess Diana,” he added. (She died in 1997.)

Roth also planned to reference the April 19, 1995, bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City in the sequel. The deadliest terrorist attack in America until 9/11, it killed 168 people, including 19 children.

Wow, I wonder why it was never made

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

deoju posted:

There was nearly a sequel to Forest Gump. Eric Roth finished the script and delivered to Hanks and Zemeckis on September 10th, 2001. They met the next day and decided not to do it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2019/03/21/forrest-gump-sequel-script-felt-meaningless-after-9-11-says-writer/3231469002/

I kept checking to make sure this wasn't a parody article. Every idea they pitched sounded like hot dogshit, wow

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Damien being bi doesn't work because his archenemy Harley Quinn is also bi and they have to be opposites.

Tim Drake meanwhile once fell in love with Clayface's leg so he's clearly open to anything.

Dick Grayson is mainly into redheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Push El Burrito posted:

Damien being bi doesn't work because his archenemy Harley Quinn is also bi and they have to be opposites.

Maybe they're opposite bisexuals, one is into men and women and the other is into women and men