Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Oh no, I remember exactly how to do it and just about everything else I need to do with computers. I went on to get a useless degree in computer science, you see. I just don't want to play games on office productivity equipment unless I absolutely can't get them on a console.

I know I made the right choice, because tech support chat still exists everywhere, it's inescapable. It's always something. *gestures upthread*

I don't have any degree but your boomer rear end seems to transcend time and space. "Playing games is easier on a games console" might be the hottest take ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I like Phantasy Star way more than Final Fantasy

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Also id like a new Tomba

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I like Phantasy Star way more than Final Fantasy

I want Phantasy Star V or Phantasy Star Offline if you will

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
phantasy star offline where you create your own character but they add musk cat as a player race and nobody plays as anything else

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dross posted:

Does setting your external display to mirror rather than extend your primary display fix this issue?

My laptop actually doesn't even acknowledge the TV is there. When I go to set up a new monitor it just says "no secondary display detected" but it shows up on my TV when I plug in an HDMI. It just doesn't look too hot.

Vic posted:

My guess would be your laptop's screen resolution is 1080p or less and when you run it on your (I assume) 4K TV it switched the resolution to 3840 x 2160 and now is trying to render quadruple pixels.

haldolium posted:

maybe your laptops igpu is now doing the output? use metric displays to check for utilization etc. check driver settings.

MSI AB + RTSS are great for troubleshooting issues or have a general idea on what is going on.

Thanks. Gonna look into this.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

"I spent 2000 dollars on this thing and it plays games wrong" is pc gaming represented in one statement

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Final Fantasy would have been better if it was the Final Final Fantasy.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's true of pretty much anything except star wars movies, which get retroactively better every time they put out a new one

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

every time i watch star wars anything I like star wars less

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The best thing Disney did with Star Wars was also the first thing: the Phineas and Ferb crossover

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It’s kind of crazy how much I loved Star Wars for so long and now do not care at all. I don’t hate it, I’m just not interested or even aware of what’s going on with it. Fallen Order was cool though.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Star Wars is an old friend you lost touch with. You remember the good times, you see on social media that they're doing okay, but there's just nothing between you anymore

The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Idris Elba shouldn't play Knuckles in the new sonic movie, Knuckles should be Australian because Echidnas are iconic native Australian animals.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

"I spent 2000 dollars on this thing and it plays games wrong" is pc gaming represented in one statement

Not incorrect.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Rising Zan the Samurai Gunman is easily the best action game on psx, get hosed MGS.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Rising Zan the Samurai Gunman is easily the best action game on psx, get hosed MGS.

Rising Zan has the coolest goddamn intro ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1DE0RpQMLI

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

:hellyeah:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Caesar Saladin posted:

Then you play Sekiro at native 4K/120 fps on an OLED with literally six total milliseconds of input lag and near instant pixel response and you just immediately “get it” the first time you parry something and it’s like your controller is an extension of your very soul

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Taima posted:

Then you play Sekiro at native 4K/120 fps on an OLED with literally six total milliseconds of input lag and near instant pixel response and you just immediately “get it” the first time you parry something and it’s like your controller is an extension of your very soul

yeah but we probably had the same amount of fun when i beat it on ps4

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's funny, with nerd culture going mainstream wieners going on about pc gaming's superiority are really one of the last torch bearers of the traditional stereotype.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Taima posted:

i went from a 970 to a 5800 to a 3070 and I didn't really notice the difference :(

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its not that consoles are inferior, its that i can't play starcraft 2 on them

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Waltzing Along posted:

Final Fantasy would have been better if it was the Final Final Fantasy.

At the time Final Fantasy was in all likelihood the last game Square was going to make which is why it was called Final Fantasy, so I dont know how there being a sequel or not would effect how well Final Fantasy was received (it was a hit)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its not that consoles are inferior, its that i can't play starcraft 2 on them

Actually consoles are superior because you cannot play starcraft 2 on them

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

Actually consoles are superior because you cannot play starcraft 2 on them

Tvz me on steppes of war bitch

20 mins no rush plz

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

flavor.flv posted:

Star Wars is an old friend you lost touch with. You remember the good times, you see on social media that they're doing okay, but there's just nothing between you anymore

The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference

I still keep in touch with Star Wars' cool hip cousin, The Mandalorian

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i tried Starcraft online once as a kid and the dude rushed me with space marines and i was like "gently caress this" and never tried again

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

i tried Starcraft online once as a kid and the dude rushed me with space marines and i was like "gently caress this" and never tried again

Sounds like you need to learn the counter to a proxy 3 rax

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The true og starcraft online experience was griefing ppl, usually having a buddy to team up against ppl in use map settings games or my personal favourite: start on opposing sides of a 2v2 match and switch your allegiances at an opportune moment to blow both your "opponents" out before either knows wtf is going on

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
What is a good turn based games that is not FF or Chrono trigger? I really enjoyed Advance Wars games. I played old school XCom and was raped so hard I never played again. Hows the new one?

I played Into The Breach and it was amazing but rogue-like games are loving terrible.

Actually, there's my unpopular opinion, rogue-like games are horrible. They're usually combined with random generated levels which are a poor substitute for good fashion level design. Every game can be improved with good levels + a story. Rogue-like game remove both, things and lack a cohesive story and progression.

Why the gently caress are they so popular.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Busywork simulators is the most popular genre ever

Every game got "progression" and useless tasks you can do now. People on their computers too much

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Suspicious Lump posted:

What is a good turn based games that is not FF or Chrono trigger? I really enjoyed Advance Wars games. I played old school XCom and was raped so hard I never played again. Hows the new one?

I played Into The Breach and it was amazing but rogue-like games are loving terrible.

Actually, there's my unpopular opinion, rogue-like games are horrible. They're usually combined with random generated levels which are a poor substitute for good fashion level design. Every game can be improved with good levels + a story. Rogue-like game remove both, things and lack a cohesive story and progression.

FF: Tactics (and Ogre: Tactics) are excellent games if you liked the cute-but-serious style of Advance Wars. They are not FF in any way but unfortunate name.

Newer XCOM games are much more forgiving, but do so behind the scenes. They're very pretty and flow nicely, there's a reason they sold well and have excellent reviews.

Rogue-lite games are a terrible fad, much like card/deck games are currently, that missed the entire point of their predecessors and just aped a vogue mechanic. Most things that tag themselves as such should be viewed with suspicion, I agree. Actual roguelikes are still thriving, but they're a really obtuse/esoteric genre.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Suspicious Lump posted:

:psyduck:
if Into the Breach had premade levels you could only play the game once!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Roguelikes/roguelites done well can be pretty great, but ultimately they scratch a very particular kind of itch that some people simply don't have.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Roguelikes/roguelites done well can be pretty great, but ultimately they scratch a very particular kind of itch that some people simply don't have.

good. if everyone enjoyed rogue-likes than AAA companies would make them and ruin them

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you like turnbased RPGs might I recommend Yakuza 7?

Rutibex posted:

:psyduck:
if Into the Breach had premade levels you could only play the game once!

Yeah, and I'd have liked it a lot more.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nothing wrong with a game that's fun to play once.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I wouldn't recommend yakuza 7 to people solely on the basis of liking turn based combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Taima posted:

Pretending that marginally better performance in a video game is a transcendental experience is the true pinnacle of stupid PC gaming cultism.

(saying as somebody who's never owned a game console)