Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Starro was the most effective cape movie big-bad I've seen in a while. There was something primally uncomfortable about how it looked and behaved. Lovecraftian, even.

___

Suicide Squad was also very slick American imperial propaganda:

* the beach scene is just The Bay of Pigs... except this time it works because there's another one

* the whole island in general is just Cuba, loving come on, right down to the need for "free and fair elections"

* the movie explicitly states that "anti-Americanism" is bad and wrong and dangerous

* the Squad kills off the camp full of resistance fighters because they're too stupid to verify their intel, which is a thing that actually happens, but not only does the movie presume that there's enough of them to still be able to do a coup, the movie also brushes it off with the rebels still working with the Squad anyway just because "our interests are [still] aligned"

* yes, America wants to do all sorts of war crimey experiments, and it even off-shores it just so that they have plausible deniability, but boo-hoo some people feel real bad about it and want to stop it, so that makes it okay

* but the movie doesn't even make it okay either! in the end, Bloodsport STILL doesn't spill the means on the lab, and rationalizes it by saying "well, we need this to stay alive, and we already did violate orders and save the city, you can't have everything!"

I loved it, I laughed very hard at it, and Nanaue owns. I'm just really also Epstein-brained.

gunn really tries to have it both ways where it shits on us imperialism but also asks you to ultimately accept it because it is the best we can do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Judakel posted:

gunn really tries to have it both ways where it shits on us imperialism but also asks you to ultimately accept it because it is the best we can do

it doesn’t even poo poo on US imperialism; not really. it’s very much a “we need the Right People in charge instead of a Few Bad Apples” take. the implication is that the US should have intervened in Corte Maltese sooner to take down the Herrera family

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

it doesn’t even poo poo on US imperialism; not really. it’s very much a “we need the Right People in charge instead of a Few Bad Apples” take. the implication is that the US should have intervened in Corte Maltese sooner to take down the Herrera family

but the liberal's "right people" is just someone who doesn't do imperialism while doing imperialism still (just quietly and bloodlessly). That still means it shits on it as it exists and creates some utopian version of it which never will exist

Judakel has issued a correction as of 07:48 on Aug 11, 2021

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
There's no such thing as bloodless imperialism.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Tubgoat posted:

almost like i said that

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol zahn's monologue in the latest white lotus

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

it should be illegal to name your show that and not have it be about pai mei

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Tubgoat posted:

I bet there's a bomb that can handle that.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

How the gently caress are all if Jackie Chans films pre 1999 so amazing

He was raised by a drama school that taught him how to do crazy stunts and kung fu but not to read.

Same thing with Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung, except the latter broke his leg and got chubby from all the ice cream the hospital let him have. He just made that his gimmick.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Judakel posted:

almost like i said that
Almost, but not quite, unless it said that pre-edit.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tubgoat posted:

Incendiary weapons can surely prevent any blood from being spilled.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Powdered, incinerated blood is still blood.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

Powdered, incinerated blood is still blood.
Is car exhaust gasoline?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

who?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I think they're related to Uncle Iroh.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im annoyed that the island country in suicide squad is called corto maltese because its an aggressively pointless reference it doesnt sound like the name of a country and the tone of the movie doesnt even remotely resemble that of the old corto maltese comics which were always much more straightforwardly antiimperialist

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mantis42 posted:

or willie wagtails

or pai mei as a willie wagtail

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/AngryKavanaugh/status/1425435828050821122

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

yo dawg, i heard you liked colonizers

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Tubgoat posted:

Almost, but not quite, unless it said that pre-edit.

the edit just changed an apostrophe. i said it: "creates some utopian version of it which never will exist"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kkkolonizer$$$

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I totally understand wanting credit but if you put a dance on tiktok you’re legally obligated to not Be Mad when a white lady with a billion followers does the dance and gets 390m views/likes. that’s what the app is like ???? don’t post there then

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

can dance routines be covered by intellectual property laws?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

yeah it's like early 2010s twitter when people were complaining about their jokes getting stolen by comedians and show writers, which seems a bit more egregious to me than stealing dance moves but that all has really faded from the convo

Wraith of J.O.I. has issued a correction as of 18:24 on Aug 11, 2021

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
at least the dance routines are original. that lady getting pissed at the instagram account seems to just be a lecturer

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

I’m still not clear on whether she is a writer, speaker, and internet yeller or not.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

boooooooooo

https://twitter.com/clairemcnear/status/1425497980149321732

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

that dude straight up put himself in power lmao that owns

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

backpack kid sued fortnite for stealing the floss

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/20/696413611/backpack-kid-sues-fortnite-for-stealing-the-floss-dance

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Bideo James posted:

that dude straight up put himself in power lmao that owns

yeah, i'm thinking i'm the new host. "advanced negotiations?" gently caress u. lmao. what? no one knows who the gently caress i am? who cares, eat poo poo.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

uber_stoat posted:

yeah, i'm thinking i'm the new host. "advanced negotiations?" gently caress u. lmao. what? no one knows who the gently caress i am? who cares, eat poo poo.

he's a TV Elon Musk

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

oh my god lmao

https://twitter.com/kickinson/status/1425491589137420292?s=21

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that rules, the av club reviewer called them red scare listeners after the first ep

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lmfao

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
got that "perpetual k-hole" look down.

https://twitter.com/kickinson/status/1425496828087345155?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

their banter really is good

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ArmZ posted:

can dance routines be covered by intellectual property laws?
Yes, but it has to be an actual routine, sorta like with music. You can't copyright the individual pieces, only the thing as a whole. A lot of tiktok dances are probably not complex enough, even if made up of entirely novel moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

indigi posted:

I totally understand wanting credit but if you put a dance on tiktok you’re legally obligated to not Be Mad when a white lady with a billion followers does the dance and gets 390m views/likes. that’s what the app is like ???? don’t post there then

we could advocate for dismantling social media and fixing the toxic attention economy that advantages white voices over poc in every arena. alternately, we could post angry messages about the symptoms of social media on social media and Have an Important Conversation