Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is there a reference sheet with all the common Rune Spells everyone has so I can just give those to players?

I think they just updated Red Book of Magic with a separate spell PDF reference.

Meanwhile, apparently there's an additional book of the Stafford Library, The Missing Lands, which is all about Pamaltela and islands, that isn't for sale with the rest. I wonder what's up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rand Brittain posted:

Meanwhile, apparently there's an additional book of the Stafford Library, The Missing Lands, which is all about Pamaltela and islands, that isn't for sale with the rest. I wonder what's up with that?
The material in it - mostly stuff about the East Isles and the Oceans and Pameltela - was entirely integrated into the Guide. It’s 100% redundant and obsolete in a world where the Guide exists, so they withdrew it from publication.

TwoWordName
Jan 3, 2013

The PDF never got a layout pass from Issaries back in 2015 and Chaosium doesn't seem interested in going back to it. The lion's share of information in it was geographic information included in the Guide to Glorantha.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Speaking of Pamaltelan geography, the campaign I'm currently in may eventually make it to Fonrit in a year. I took one look at the map and uhh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erENuOJ5wQU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I've been doing a deep dive on Loskalm and Fronela recently and made a google doc summarizing my readings that I may one day eventually use as a player handout:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MIIJEUB1pcTCuMys5ZDaQlIaaRuZcPWUzu5C2xuvbU8/edit

I'd say 90% is canon, 9% is me filling in some gaps, and 1% is outright bullshit (I put a Loskalmi army at the siege of the clanking city because I'll be damned if I don't allow players to smash Zistor to bits with Orlanth and Argan Argar)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Nanomashoes posted:

I've been doing a deep dive on Loskalm and Fronela recently and made a google doc summarizing my readings that I may one day eventually use as a player handout:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MIIJEUB1pcTCuMys5ZDaQlIaaRuZcPWUzu5C2xuvbU8/edit

I'd say 90% is canon, 9% is me filling in some gaps, and 1% is outright bullshit (I put a Loskalmi army at the siege of the clanking city because I'll be damned if I don't allow players to smash Zistor to bits with Orlanth and Argan Argar)

A good post about the best nation.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
So for my first dip into Glorantha I'm gonna be running Griffin Mountain online for like six people using the newest Runequest Glorantha. Any advice, admonitions, suggestions, etc?

I myself am relatively new to the setting and system but I think one of my players is an old hand.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Runequests's high lethality doesn't mesh well with its involved characters creation, so maybe consider homebrewing something like Warhammer's fate points in to make the PCs less death-prone.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Bullbar posted:

So for my first dip into Glorantha I'm gonna be running Griffin Mountain online for like six people using the newest Runequest Glorantha. Any advice, admonitions, suggestions, etc?

I myself am relatively new to the setting and system but I think one of my players is an old hand.

Griffin Mountain has plenty of conversation-powered plotlines and lots of mini-adventure areas. Start off small and relatively not dangerous until everyone gets a handle on the situation, and let things that can be extremely dangerous (like the kidnapping plot) simmer until everyone gets tougher.

Prioritize going places, meeting cultural or political milestones, and smaller-stakes combat events like hunting for a good while, too. Balazar is the back end of nowhere. If new PCs are starting with bronze armor and weapons they’re already looking like potential power players, so focus on acclimation and exploration and situate the campaign before firing off the plotlines.

This area in particular lends itself to slower development and interwoven story threads. Don’t approach it as “now we’ll play through the kidnapping subplot” but rather as there being multiple simultaneous story-lines developing and the PCs keep crossing into them again and again as they travel. By the later stages of the campaign, it’s all that travel and exploration providing a wider perspective that should make the PCs effective, at least as much as their stat development and treasures.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
New to the setting, and some questions I find kinda hard to answer:

- Do Dragonnewts remember all their past lives in detail? If so, aren't they more or less impossible to play, being immortal sages with good recall?

- Do 'regular spells' below the level of Heroquesting exist? I only have experience with Glorantha from King of Dragon Pass, and that kind of implies that warriors emit some sort of magic when attacking, but it seems more like a group phenomenon. Can I cast a spell to make light, get magic armor or gank someone like in mainstream fantasy settings? Or is it more a matter of completing a hero quest and then getting a magic benefit for a while?

- I guess what I'm getting at is, how do you run this as an RPG? I'm sort of leery of Runequest and 13th Age, and wouldn't buy either without a strong recommendation. I like Shadow of the Demon Lord which seems portable, but I don't know how to do magic then.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tias posted:

New to the setting, and some questions I find kinda hard to answer:

- Do Dragonnewts remember all their past lives in detail? If so, aren't they more or less impossible to play, being immortal sages with good recall?

- Do 'regular spells' below the level of Heroquesting exist? I only have experience with Glorantha from King of Dragon Pass, and that kind of implies that warriors emit some sort of magic when attacking, but it seems more like a group phenomenon. Can I cast a spell to make light, get magic armor or gank someone like in mainstream fantasy settings? Or is it more a matter of completing a hero quest and then getting a magic benefit for a while?

- I guess what I'm getting at is, how do you run this as an RPG? I'm sort of leery of Runequest and 13th Age, and wouldn't buy either without a strong recommendation. I like Shadow of the Demon Lord which seems portable, but I don't know how to do magic then.

An "orthodox" dragonnewt is basically impossible to play not so much because of the past lives thing but because they're too fuckin' weird and alien and atemporal.

Absolutely, everyone has access to magic in Glorantha, it is an intensely magical world. A significant amount of that (at least in the theistic societies, there separate paradigms about how the world works with basically completely different magical systems) is from low level membership in religious cults, but also sometimes people just have magical abilities because they saved the life of a magic fox or were born under the right stars or "yeah ted can just stand on clouds for some reason, iunno."

Honestly as an answer to both that AND the "how do you run this as an RPG" check out Heroquest Glorantha. The system and examples does a pretty good job of pointing you towards how magic generally works.

kiraeh
Dec 7, 2014
I've played a fair bit of Runequest Glorantha, I like it a lot. All characters are magic users, having both big, slow recharging rune magic and little fast recharging spirit magic. And there's a whole sorcery system I never tried to dig into much.
But the spread of what magic does and what characters have access to is fairly different from dnd. More flavourful, somewhat less balanced, very different from dnd's carefully curated level by level capabilities.
I like the system a lot, it's great if you like a classic dungeon crawler with weird poo poo in it.
I've never played Heroquest Glorantha, but it seems really interesting, less structured and granular. I think both do a good job of representing the setting, but they're very different games

White Coke
May 29, 2015

reignonyourparade posted:

An "orthodox" dragonnewt is basically impossible to play not so much because of the past lives thing but because they're too fuckin' weird and alien and atemporal.

On the one hand you can just starve yourself to death after completing a quest, but on the other you have track down anyone using your corpse as equipment.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Heroquest's rules felt almost nonfunctional and when I tried to run it by the book I ended up frustratingly homebrewing it into unrecognizability. A proper narrative system would work great in glorantha but heroquest isn't it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I love the hell out of heroquest's abilities - I've never played with anything else that just builds cool parts of characters so easily - but there's a lot of garbage surrounding that.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
It seems like there must be a way to describe Heroquest's rules in a better way than the book does. In Heroquest Glorantha it seemed to get bogged down in minutiae before it could even address its core concepts.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Can you guys elaborate on the problems with Heroquest because I'm looking for a system to run a very long and expansive Fronela campaign and I don't want to use Pendragon.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nanomashoes posted:

Can you guys elaborate on the problems with Heroquest because I'm looking for a system to run a very long and expansive Fronela campaign and I don't want to use Pendragon.

the biggest one I remember is that failing rolls is supposed to have you inflict punishments in the forms of penalties to future rolls, and succeeding on rolls is supposed to give bonuses to future rolls. It gets really swingy. Also the dice system just takes an annoyingly long time to resolve. A few extra seconds per roll adds up over the course of a session.

The thing I really did like is that instead of having a static list of stats, you just wrote down what you were good at on your character sheet. It's a neat system.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

the biggest one I remember is that failing rolls is supposed to have you inflict punishments in the forms of penalties to future rolls, and succeeding on rolls is supposed to give bonuses to future rolls. It gets really swingy. Also the dice system just takes an annoyingly long time to resolve. A few extra seconds per roll adds up over the course of a session.

The thing I really did like is that instead of having a static list of stats, you just wrote down what you were good at on your character sheet. It's a neat system.

Yeah, I was definitely thinking of only having a couple actual dice rolls per session and letting the players just win ties if it wouldn't be interesting to extend the contest.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Heroquest commits the cardinal sin of making your xp and your spendable bonus points the same thing.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

wiegieman posted:

Heroquest commits the cardinal sin of making your xp and your spendable bonus points the same thing.

Houseruling that out is one of those things that seems so obvious, I forget that it's not just part of the base game.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Just Dan Again posted:

Houseruling that out is one of those things that seems so obvious, I forget that it's not just part of the base game.

The rule I ended up using was that Hero Points can only be used to boost rolls, and they turn into Legend Points that can be spent as xp when you do, because I wanted players to boost rolls and prefer positive incentives, and I like the idea of heroes growing more powerful by carving their story into the world.

Another issue I had with heroquest was nailing down difficulty numbers. The game wants you to keep track of how much xp you've given out and work all the difficulties out yourself - that's why they go with the "very difficult" / "extremely difficult" etc. descriptions on challenges.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Another issue I had with heroquest was nailing down difficulty numbers. The game wants you to keep track of how much xp you've given out and work all the difficulties out yourself - that's why they go with the "very difficult" / "extremely difficult" etc. descriptions on challenges.

Yeah but you can just ask your players to see the sheets so you know where they are power-wise and statting an NPC is just picking their level of a skill that they will use to make an opposed check. Doing the math on the probabilities is easy, just 50% if the skills are even +- 5% for every 1 skill above or below.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

The weird thing I found was that my players complained it wasn't "complex" enough because everything was resolved with d20's.

Which, like, what the hell?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think it's around as complex as most narrative-style games. Which is to say, way less complex than any crunchy combat game and your players may prefer runequest

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
From the industry thread:

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012
I've been getting into Glorantha this past month and I think I got brainworms. I read about Nigel Farage getting hit by van and my first thought was "Whose shrine did he desecrate?" My money's on Etyries.

Are there any particular parts of Glorantha where followers of the Lunar Way are the underdogs? Or would it be best to go back in time to the birth of the Red Goddess? Should I just play a Keeper of the White Moon?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

You should always play a keeper of the White Moon. A genuine committed pacifist who also has Lunar Bullshit Magic is cool as hell.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The far western Arrolian states are interesting. Culturally Lunar, big fans of the Red Goddess and her philosophy, but think the Empire is a wrong-headed corruption of everything She stands for.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

wiegieman posted:

You should always play a keeper of the White Moon. A genuine committed pacifist who also has Lunar Bullshit Magic is cool as hell.

The pacifistic Zayterenan white moon beliefs are clearly spread by the Red Emperor and the ruling class in order to keep the moon in stasis. It's obvious by the way that they give no magic, thereby keeping any dissident thought in the Empire weak and neutered. If you actually wanted to change things you'd be out questing for the Bow of Demiska to use it to destroy the Palace of the Egi.

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

The pacifistic Zayterenan white moon beliefs are clearly spread by the Red Emperor and the ruling class in order to keep the moon in stasis. It's obvious by the way that they give no magic, thereby keeping any dissident thought in the Empire weak and neutered. If you actually wanted to change things you'd be out questing for the Bow of Demiska to use it to destroy the Palace of the Egi.

Is the Imperial Lunar Handbook still canon?

FMguru posted:

The far western Arrolian states are interesting. Culturally Lunar, big fans of the Red Goddess and her philosophy, but think the Empire is a wrong-headed corruption of everything She stands for.

God I can't wait for Red Moon and Warring Kingdoms. Hopefully it comes out before the end of the year.

CHIMlord fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 2, 2021

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

CHIMlord posted:

Is the Imperial Lunar Handbook still canon?

I dunno, do you want it to be?

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

I dunno, do you want it to be?

Not the part about White Moon cultists getting no magic, which I feel was a bad decision.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

CHIMlord posted:

Not the part about White Moon cultists getting no magic, which I feel was a bad decision.

Given how many total shits who are clearly just making up anything that makes them look good still get magic in Glorantha, being the one cult that doesn't sounds incredibly terrible.

Also, uh, nobody will play them if they don't get powers, so yeah, bad decision.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

CHIMlord posted:

It's only the cults that worship her as Zayterena, because that's wrong.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

White Moon Cultists may not get magic from Zaytenara (which would probably change in your game, since a rune is a rune and personal truth counts in Glorantha) but they have a lot of illuminates because of their practice with juggling seemingly contradictory viewpoints.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

wiegieman posted:

White Moon Cultists may not get magic from Zaytenara (which would probably change in your game, since a rune is a rune and personal truth counts in Glorantha) but they have a lot of illuminates because of their practice with juggling seemingly contradictory viewpoints.

You're not getting this, or the terminology is proving a barrier to me understanding. Either way, let me explain:

Zayterena was the white moon goddess, far back in the past, during Yelm's golden age. She was a goddess of innocence and the daughter of Yelm, and he kept her locked in her palace to spare her from the outside world. She eventually saw a planet out her window that made her want to leave, and her leaving changed her from white to red. She also left behind a bat-shaped shadow that blinded Yelm to his own failings (partially metaphorical, partially literal; as all good myths are), and helped the Rebel Gods slay Yelm.

There are several cults of the White Moon in the current Empire that say that the moon will soon change colors, this time from Red to White. Some believe that the White Moon to Come is also Zayterena. They believe that the white moon will be once again a goddess of peace and innocence, and are pacifistic. This is a popular belief, and is allowed to exist by the state (though not promoted). These Zayterenic cults also receive no magic from their worship, because they're wrong. Zayterena isn't coming back, you can't return to a state of innocence once you've left it. There are other, different White Moon cults that believe that the character of the White Moon to Come will be different, though none agree fully on what that will be. These ones generally receive magic from their worship, and are outlawed by the state and persecuted, because they are probably on to something and actually a threat to the Red Moon.

There are a number of canon sources that support the existence of an Eighth phase of the moon, previously unknown. When Entekos orders the Air, she builds her tent with Eight supporting poles. The sky dome has Eight planets surrounding Yelm. The whole "not getting magic if you equate the White Moon to Come with Zayterena" thing.There's a suspicious absence of symmetry in the phases, with nothing corresponding to the Dying moon.

Of course the Eighth phase is just my own crank theory, but it makes a great deal of sense to me. It's also heavily based on an article called The Lives of Sedenya, which was written by Greg Stafford but only published in a fan magazine, so take its canonicity as you will. The lunars seem to square the circle by claiming that Verithurusa was the original White Moon and went straight to Lesilla (blue) after quitting Yelm's court.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

I do dislike how the current set up seems to lean heavily on the mythological underpinnings of the current conflict, vs them and the obvious political conflict that is occurring at the same time.

The attempt to define Orlanth as the Barbarian and the attempt to quite literally "otherise" him when Sedenyas resurrection was accomplished through his methods is part of it. That and, as I think I've said in one thread or another, the most interesting aspect of the Red Goddess is that she has not yet become able to apologise for the harm she has caused. Orlanth (having murdered Yelm) makes restitution and apology for his faults, hell he does more than that and ensures the Dawn and makes a plea for friendship with Yelm. But Sedenya has never apologised in her life for her actions. Her attempts to create transcendence have harmed and hurt so many, and yet she believes that it is all for the good.

To me at least the white moon to come is one where Sedenya apologises for her actions, atones, and seeks to rebuild the world a bit better than it was.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Well, ok. I don't really bother getting into the details of the Lunars since they're such a shifting target. The point is that I like the idea of playing an anti-imperialist who lives in an imperial culture, who seeks reform among people who believe there is absolutely no need to reform anything because it's working out just fine for them.

Josef bugman posted:

I do dislike how the current set up seems to lean heavily on the mythological underpinnings of the current conflict, vs them and the obvious political conflict that is occurring at the same time.

The attempt to define Orlanth as the Barbarian and the attempt to quite literally "otherise" him when Sedenyas resurrection was accomplished through his methods is part of it. That and, as I think I've said in one thread or another, the most interesting aspect of the Red Goddess is that she has not yet become able to apologise for the harm she has caused. Orlanth (having murdered Yelm) makes restitution and apology for his faults, hell he does more than that and ensures the Dawn and makes a plea for friendship with Yelm. But Sedenya has never apologised in her life for her actions. Her attempts to create transcendence have harmed and hurt so many, and yet she believes that it is all for the good.

To me at least the white moon to come is one where Sedenya apologises for her actions, atones, and seeks to rebuild the world a bit better than it was.

Don't worry, there's no need to apologize because everything will be fine and it will all be fixed once the Red Goddess has supreme and unquestioned rule over all that is myth and not myth.

Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
I wish there was more material for 13th Age Glorantha. Is there any in the pipeline?