Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Found it, it's called QuestMaker. In the sample game if you walk to the left until you hit the cliff and then step in the fire the alien death screen pops up

https://archive.org/details/QuestMaker

That's absolutely it. The 1993 title screen is a bit too complexly animated to have been in the version I messed around with (so probably from a rerelease), but everything else is dead-on. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

hexwren posted:

That's absolutely it. The 1993 title screen is a bit too complexly animated to have been in the version I messed around with (so probably from a rerelease), but everything else is dead-on. Thanks!

No problem! Yeah it looks like it originally came out in 1991 and had a simpler title screen, this look more familiar?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
There was an educational game I played when I was younger, probably early/mid 90s that had a variety of minigames that you could play. I think the main screen was a room full of toys and the main characters of the game were anthromorphic animals? The minigame I remember the most was one where aliens were invading and you had to hit notes on a keyboard that corresponded to the notes that showed up on the aliens. The game eventually got really difficult because it would go into things with 7 sharps/flats and kid me couldn't keep up with those key signatures.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think my wife is getting into Picross.

:getin:

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Hyper Inferno posted:

There was an educational game I played when I was younger, probably early/mid 90s that had a variety of minigames that you could play. I think the main screen was a room full of toys and the main characters of the game were anthromorphic animals? The minigame I remember the most was one where aliens were invading and you had to hit notes on a keyboard that corresponded to the notes that showed up on the aliens. The game eventually got really difficult because it would go into things with 7 sharps/flats and kid me couldn't keep up with those key signatures.

Yo, this is Lenny's Music Toons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuVhIQPgkJc

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I may have tried this in this thread before, but it's maybe worth another shot.

Very old DOS software that allowed for basic animation. You could edit a sprite frame by frame and then place it in a scene, then move it around with rudimentary controls.

It was not Kid Pix or anything of that ilk. It was very low resolution, and likely was not even VGA colors. I doubt it supported a mouse.

One thing that stands out in my memory is a sprite of a giant hamburger face, with tomato for a tongue. I feel confident that came as part of the software, but I suppose it's possible my dad may have created it.

edit: i totally did try it here before

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 11, 2021

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

No problem! Yeah it looks like it originally came out in 1991 and had a simpler title screen, this look more familiar?

absolute madelines, yes

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Since we're talking about weird old game creation tools, here's one I only have vague memories about.

* It was for making FPS games, and it came with a GUI-based 3D level editing tool, vaguely similar to Hammer in my mind but that could absolutely be wrong
* It's not 3D Construction Kit a.k.a. Freespace, nor is it Pie 3D, and it wasn't a modding tool for some existing game. I don't think it's Reality Factory either, it was dinkier than that.
* It was definitely a Windows 95 or greater program, but we're still talking late 90s, very likely pre-XP
* I think there was a sample game that involved some kind of two-floor internal structure with a bunch of lava at the bottom?
* There were definitely enemies, but I don't remember what they looked like, except that I think they were vaguely demonic (that is, not humans with guns)
* I'm fairly sure it had billboarded sprites for enemies and objects, not proper 3D models
* I think I might have gotten this off some random magazine insert CD, so it probably wasn't a full product

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 11, 2021

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

I may have tried this in this thread before, but it's maybe worth another shot.

Very old DOS software that allowed for basic animation. You could edit a sprite frame by frame and then place it in a scene, then move it around with rudimentary controls.

It was not Kid Pix or anything of that ilk. It was very low resolution, and likely was not even VGA colors. I doubt it supported a mouse.

One thing that stands out in my memory is a sprite of a giant hamburger face, with tomato for a tongue. I feel confident that came as part of the software, but I suppose it's possible my dad may have created it.

edit: i totally did try it here before

It could be Animation Construction Set Movie Maker, which came out in 1985 and was very primitive. I don’t remember the hamburger face, but it sounds kind of on point as the software came with some weird stuff—one of the default movies was a Christmas scene where Santa goes down the chimney into a lit fireplace and burns to death.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Genpei Turtle posted:

It could be Animation Construction Set Movie Maker, which came out in 1985 and was very primitive. I don’t remember the hamburger face, but it sounds kind of on point as the software came with some weird stuff—one of the default movies was a Christmas scene where Santa goes down the chimney into a lit fireplace and burns to death.
:ohdearsass: :flame:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Back in the mid/late 80s, maybe 86-89? Somewhere in there. I remember a program for whatever computer my school was using with a skeleton, and you had to drag where all the bones belong. I think it played a bad speaker version of "the hip bone's connected to the .." etc. Long shot but any ideas?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Yes that's it! Thanks!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Trying to remember a Japanese only vertical scrolling shooter for PS1. The game is themed around a fake 70s anime and I think your point of view is a kid watching said anime with the levels themed after the in-universe adventures.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Since we're talking about weird old game creation tools, here's one I only have vague memories about.

* It was for making FPS games, and it came with a GUI-based 3D level editing tool, vaguely similar to Hammer in my mind but that could absolutely be wrong
Are you sure it wasn't Forge for Marathon? Marathon 2 had a Windows release in '96

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

al-azad posted:

Trying to remember a Japanese only vertical scrolling shooter for PS1. The game is themed around a fake 70s anime and I think your point of view is a kid watching said anime with the levels themed after the in-universe adventures.

70's Robot Anime Geppy X?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BpmPC_kyUM

edit:

FFT posted:

Are you sure it wasn't Forge for Marathon? Marathon 2 had a Windows release in '96

I've never owned a Mac and my parents certainly never did back then either. The game had a Windows release but I think the editors didn't?

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 11, 2021

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wow "70's anime" was actually in the title lol

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Golbez posted:

Back in the mid/late 80s, maybe 86-89? Somewhere in there. I remember a program for whatever computer my school was using with a skeleton, and you had to drag where all the bones belong. I think it played a bad speaker version of "the hip bone's connected to the .." etc. Long shot but any ideas?

The Body Transparent?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Wow, thanks, this almost has to be it.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
I’ve definitely posted this in the thread before, but let’s give it another shot.

Looking for a PC game (maybe mac?) I played in school sometime between 1995 and 1998.

Literally all I can remember is that it was some sort of first person game where you are going through what I assume was a dungeon, and come across a black boot (kind of like a single rubber galosh) in the middle of the floor, filled with slime or ooze or something to that effect. I think a text box popped up stating it was full of slime if you clicked on it. I feel like I remember most of the play area being a tan or brown color?

I can’t recall if it was an RPG, an adventure game, an educational game, or really anything about the gameplay at all. I distinctly recall it being 2D and kinda 16-bit looking, definitely not 3D or pre-rendered in any way. Oh, and I’m pretty sure the first person viewpoint area was a window and did not take up the full screen.

It’s entirely possible I’m misremembering or conflating things in my memory, but man it’s killing me that I haven’t been able to find this dumb boot game for so long.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Panic Restaurant posted:

Literally all I can remember is that it was some sort of first person game where you are going through what I assume was a dungeon, and come across a black boot (kind of like a single rubber galosh) in the middle of the floor, filled with slime or ooze or something to that effect. I think a text box popped up stating it was full of slime if you clicked on it. I feel like I remember most of the play area being a tan or brown color?

I can’t recall if it was an RPG, an adventure game, an educational game, or really anything about the gameplay at all. I distinctly recall it being 2D and kinda 16-bit looking, definitely not 3D or pre-rendered in any way. Oh, and I’m pretty sure the first person viewpoint area was a window and did not take up the full screen.

It’s entirely possible I’m misremembering or conflating things in my memory, but man it’s killing me that I haven’t been able to find this dumb boot game for so long.

Shadowgate or Shadowgate Classic (the PC remake from the mid 90's)?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Panic Restaurant posted:

I’ve definitely posted this in the thread before, but let’s give it another shot.

Looking for a PC game (maybe mac?) I played in school sometime between 1995 and 1998.

There's an old game called The Immortal that uses a frame for the gameplay area, is mostly brownish for a lot of the early levels, and one of the ways you can die is by rummaging through a pile of bones too far. Basically, you search the bones once and you find an item, and it asks you if you want to search again. If you do, a slime comes out and kills you instantly. You do need to have a way to deal with the slimes though, so you get some poo poo to rub on your boots to make you immune to INSTANT SLIME DEATH.

Regular gameplay was like this

But dialogue and inventory etc would have more of a "first person" view

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 12, 2021

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

signalnoise posted:

There's an old game called The Immortal that uses a frame for the gameplay area, is mostly brownish for a lot of the early levels, and one of the ways you can die is by rummaging through a pile of bones too far. Basically, you search the bones once and you find an item, and it asks you if you want to search again. If you do, a slime comes out and kills you instantly. You do need to have a way to deal with the slimes though, so you get some poo poo to rub on your boots to make you immune to INSTANT SLIME DEATH.

Regular gameplay was like this

But dialogue and inventory etc would have more of a "first person" view

Man, this fits a bunch of aspects and I'm beginning to wonder if little kid brain + several decades passing really blurred the details in my mind. The whole slime-proof boots situation really has me intrigued. Honestly unless a more convincing game comes along I'm just gonna say it was this to put my mind at ease. Thanks!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Panic Restaurant posted:

Man, this fits a bunch of aspects and I'm beginning to wonder if little kid brain + several decades passing really blurred the details in my mind. The whole slime-proof boots situation really has me intrigued. Honestly unless a more convincing game comes along I'm just gonna say it was this to put my mind at ease. Thanks!

If you have a switch and nintendo online whatever, they put it on their "free" NES emulator library, so you can check it out there real quick if you have access. It's a fantastic game, pretty ahead of its time in my opinion. It's mean as poo poo though and the kind of game where all of the puzzles make sense, but the start screen isn't Death for nothing. The game opens with a note telling you "Dunric oh poo poo I hosed up bad and need you to save me from this labyrinth" followed by "but your name isn't Dunric" and then you proceed as an old as poo poo barely capable wizard and die repeatedly

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Panic Restaurant posted:

Does sound like Waxworks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Another Japanese only ps1 game. This one is a strategy title, I believe turn based like Tactics Ogre. The only standout thing I remember is the character art was by a Japanese cult artist, I don’t think anyone big name famous but their work is more known outside of games. Aesthetically it’s really gross, lots of body horror monsters and watercolor drawings of Beksinski looking creatures. I don’t think it’s Ecsaform but it’s similar in that vein.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

al-azad posted:

Another Japanese only ps1 game. This one is a strategy title, I believe turn based like Tactics Ogre. The only standout thing I remember is the character art was by a Japanese cult artist, I don’t think anyone big name famous but their work is more known outside of games. Aesthetically it’s really gross, lots of body horror monsters and watercolor drawings of Beksinski looking creatures. I don’t think it’s Ecsaform but it’s similar in that vein.

Volfoss? The artist in question is Nirasawa Yasushi, in that case.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Y’all fast!

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
I keep trying to find this game in the hopes that someday, someone will confirm that I didn't make this game up during a fever game.

There was a demo I played in the 90s that was on a CD with other demos and shareware (probably from the USA version of PC Gamer) that was a puzzle game. The premise was that a mad scientist had, in fact, gone mad, but there was some critical knowledge trapped inside of his brain that needed to be retrieved. The player, as the protagonist, had to delve inside of the scientist's brain to recover that information, whatever it was.

Navigating the brain was a click-and-point slide show (think Myst) with vivid colors in a surrealistic setting. I very vividly remember the main or final puzzle in the demo coming up to a wall where a relief of a talking head spoke backwards nonsense to you. However, if you turned around, the inverse of the talking head appeared, and announced "WHY DONT YOU T-T-T-TRY PORK CHOP?" The solution to the puzzle involved turning around and typing in the word "porkchop" backwards - i.e. POHCKROP. I believe the demo ended at this point.

I don't remember the title but I would have sworn that it had the mad scientist's name in it, although I might be conflating it with the Lost Mind of Dr Brain (which this game is not.)

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Cidrick posted:

I keep trying to find this game in the hopes that someday, someone will confirm that I didn't make this game up during a fever game.

There was a demo I played in the 90s that was on a CD with other demos and shareware (probably from the USA version of PC Gamer) that was a puzzle game. The premise was that a mad scientist had, in fact, gone mad, but there was some critical knowledge trapped inside of his brain that needed to be retrieved. The player, as the protagonist, had to delve inside of the scientist's brain to recover that information, whatever it was.

Navigating the brain was a click-and-point slide show (think Myst) with vivid colors in a surrealistic setting. I very vividly remember the main or final puzzle in the demo coming up to a wall where a relief of a talking head spoke backwards nonsense to you. However, if you turned around, the inverse of the talking head appeared, and announced "WHY DONT YOU T-T-T-TRY PORK CHOP?" The solution to the puzzle involved turning around and typing in the word "porkchop" backwards - i.e. POHCKROP. I believe the demo ended at this point.

I don't remember the title but I would have sworn that it had the mad scientist's name in it, although I might be conflating it with the Lost Mind of Dr Brain (which this game is not.)

Looks like it's Necrobius?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Seems that game was never actually released. More information: https://lostmediawiki.com/Necrobius_(found_build_of_unreleased_click-and-point_adventure_game;_1996)

That article even mentions a PC Gamer demo CD circa 1995.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Zathril posted:

Looks like it's Necrobius?

Holy poo poo, this is it! :toot:

Thanks thread! The fact that it was never fully released also explains why I've never been able to find it from searching GameFAQs and other walkthrough sites for the phrase "pohckrop"

Edit: How on earth were you able to find this? I've spent years trying to track this game down.

Cidrick fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 16, 2021

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006
Probably one of the first "dating sim" type games ever made, it was an old-timey DOS text adventure from back in the days when Jesus and dinosaurs roamed the earth. Almost like a Leisuresuit Larry game in text adventure form. Your character was a high school guy who was trying to meet a girl and presumably get laid. You could choose to hang out with the "preppy" kids and go play tennis or something, or hang out with the "bad" kids and drink and party at the "rager" as it was referred to in the game. I remember at one point you had the option to buy breath mints from a kid at school, and if you didn't, later on whenever you went to where you were going, the girl you tried to talk to would complain about your bad breath. There was another option at the rager, where you could either play drinking games and get trashed, or play it cool, and if you chose to get drunk you'd end up puking all over the place and ruining your chance at romance.

dstyle fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 7, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

dstyle posted:

Probably one of the first "dating sim" type games ever made, it was an old-timey DOS text adventure from back in the days when Jesus and dinosaurs roamed the earth. Almost like a Leisuresuit Larry game in text adventure form. Your character was a high school guy who was trying to meet a girl and presumably get laid. You could choose to hang out with the "preppy" kids and go play tennis or something, or hang out with the "bad" kids and drink and party at the "rager" as it was referred to in the game. I remember at one point you had the option to buy breath mints from a kid at school, and if you didn't, later on whenever you went to where you were going, the girl you tried to talk to would complain about your bad breath. There was another option at the rager, where you could either play drinking games and get trashed, or play it cool, and if you chose to get drunk you'd end up puking all over the place and ruining your chance at romance.

"Text adventure like Leisure Suit Larry" is Softporn Adventure since that was a direct inspiration for LSL. Unfortunately, I doubt that's the game you're looking for. IFDB doesn't turn up a lot of results matching that content, but maybe you'll have better luck looking yourself.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Back in the late 90’s, my dad had a demo disc that I want to say with about 70% certainty was from PC Gamer that had a game on it I’ve been trying to remember or find anything about for years. All I can remember from it though is that you played a youngish girl exploring a rainy, gothic town - I can barely remember what genre it is was. I think it was an adventure game or an RPG? I vaguely recall the main character obtaining or having a little green ball she could use to fight or solve puzzles by throwing it.

The only other thing I can recall about this that might be useful would be that I remember playing Tomb Raider 2 around the same time, so it would’ve had to been around 1997…I realize this isn’t much, but it’s been driving me nuts forever now.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Metallia posted:

Back in the late 90’s, my dad had a demo disc that I want to say with about 70% certainty was from PC Gamer that had a game on it I’ve been trying to remember or find anything about for years. All I can remember from it though is that you played a youngish girl exploring a rainy, gothic town - I can barely remember what genre it is was. I think it was an adventure game or an RPG? I vaguely recall the main character obtaining or having a little green ball she could use to fight or solve puzzles by throwing it.

The only other thing I can recall about this that might be useful would be that I remember playing Tomb Raider 2 around the same time, so it would’ve had to been around 1997…I realize this isn’t much, but it’s been driving me nuts forever now.

Maybe Ecstatica?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SsR5fPjGu4

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool
if it's not that, i was thinking little big adventure 2. (he's not a girl, but has long hair and throws a ball around in a rainy town)

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Ok, so there was a black and white kids game I played on the Mac IIci. It was a chill point and click game where you explored around some sort of... comfy science mountain, I want to say? You moved around rooms and did educational activities. The only one I remember clearly was a room where you dropped pebbles into a well and time how long it took for you to hear the pebble hitting the water. You could adjust the level of the well and such.

Any ideas?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

wb posted:

if it's not that, i was thinking little big adventure 2. (he's not a girl, but has long hair and throws a ball around in a rainy town)

Yeah this is what I was thinking. Also known as Relentless or Twinsen's Adventure, and it rules.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Haystack posted:

Ok, so there was a black and white kids game I played on the Mac IIci. It was a chill point and click game where you explored around some sort of... comfy science mountain, I want to say? You moved around rooms and did educational activities. The only one I remember clearly was a room where you dropped pebbles into a well and time how long it took for you to hear the pebble hitting the water. You could adjust the level of the well and such.

Any ideas?

Spelunx and the Caves of Mr. Seudo? It's also on steam, surprisingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

That's the one! Thank you. Man, it's even more surreal than I remember it.