Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

maybe stop vilifying regular people by strawmanning them into insane conspiracy theorists and you won't feel so worked up? this guy has justifiable concerns about government coercion and control on a topic that is extremely politicized and he's right to draw parallels to 9/11 as an american. there are a lot of people like this who aren't 100% gung ho on board with the belief that their government has purely good intentions and won't exploit disasters to further entrench power. that doesn't make them anti-vaxxers or a "5G juice" lunatics or whatever, and it's disingenuous to paint them as such

(yes i am fully vaxxed and i did so as early as possible with full enthusiasm)

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

maybe stop vilifying regular people by strawmanning them into insane conspiracy theorists and you won't feel so worked up? this guy has justifiable concerns about government coercion and control on a topic that is extremely politicized and he's right to draw parallels to 9/11 as an american. there are a lot of people like this who aren't 100% gung ho on board with the belief that their government has purely good intentions and won't exploit disasters to further entrench power. that doesn't make them anti-vaxxers or a "5G juice" lunatics or whatever, and it's disingenuous to paint them as such

(yes i am fully vaxxed and i did so as early as possible with full enthusiasm)

I worked in pharma for a half-decade and, while everyone at the top is absolutely in it for disgusting, profit-motivated reasons; most everyone else, from discovery to production, generally want to help people in some capacity. The COVID vaccine is not some government control + profit motive wet dream come to life, nobody even gave a gently caress about mRNA vaccines when they were looking into them as an HIV vax and the Federal government is just now beginning to take baby steps like "making people who took anthrax vaccines get vaxxed for COVID," and, "acknowledging that vaccine mandates are a real thing."

As such, when I read poo poo like that, I'm going to treat it as an unfounded conspiracy theory that drat near convinced someone to not get vaxxed, but the social pressure was too great.

I was a teenager/early 20's during Bush 2 as well and have no love or trust for the Federal Government, but seriously.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

I worked in pharma for a half-decade and, while everyone at the top is absolutely in it for disgusting, profit-motivated reasons; most everyone else, from discovery to production, generally want to help people in some capacity. The COVID vaccine is not some government control + profit motive wet dream come to life, nobody even gave a gently caress about mRNA vaccines when they were looking into them as an HIV vax and the Federal government is just now beginning to take baby steps like "making people who took anthrax vaccines get vaxxed for COVID," and, "acknowledging that vaccine mandates are a real thing."

As such, when I read poo poo like that, I'm going to treat it as an unfounded conspiracy theory that drat near convinced someone to not get vaxxed, but the social pressure was too great.

I grew up during Bush 2 as well and have no love or trust for the Federal Government, but seriously.

note: i don't hold the same opinions as that poster, but c'mon, being so dismissive of attitudes like that after having lived through pharma scandal after pharma scandal and poo poo like the patriot act or bill c-51 here in canada? there are lots of people who think this way and it's easy to see how they'd have formed those opinions. not everyone is as aware and informed as the posters in this thread, and if we're going to work through this together, we should at least try to understand people on the edge like this poster rather than trying to run him out of the thread calling him a moron and a "5G juice" conspiracy theorist or whatever

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

“You smug son of a bitch,” I say to the guy who did the right thing that I agree with, “you loving stupid piece of poo poo. How dare you.”

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

note: i don't hold the same opinions as that poster, but c'mon, being so dismissive of attitudes like that after having lived through pharma scandal after pharma scandal and poo poo like the patriot act or bill c-51 here in canada? there are lots of people who think this way and it's easy to see how they'd have formed those opinions. not everyone is as aware and informed as the posters in this thread, and if we're going to work through this together, we should at least try to understand people on the edge like this poster rather than trying to run him out of the thread calling him a moron and a "5G juice" conspiracy theorist or whatever

I understand that and hold those reservations about the industry as well, I mean, "1% addiction rate" for a drug that has killed every single person I knew who got hooked on it except one by age 35 that is obviously just strong heroin, lol.

Those scandals all have a characteristic that this one didn't have, though, specifically the years-to-decades-long time investment of lobbying and grifting a specific drug or a purchasing plan.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Also you have to consider the source when it comes to these kind of criticisms of the vaccine. I mean, when the president of the United States went on to say so many times how we should try using bleach or fish medication to kill covid, and that covid really wasn't such a big deal, but secretly got vaccinated himself, and while downplaying everything about the virus. A plague should not be politicized. And again I think back, in a parallel universe somewhere a little over a year ago, Trump went whole hog and printed and made millions of trump 2020 masks, Trump 2024 masks and spend some lie that this was the China virus brought over by the liberals and anyone who was a smart American would mask up and he would have won re-election very likely in a landslide.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

If you distrust government and scientists so much that you feel uncomfortable with the covid vaccine, you must live the rest of your life in constant paralyzing indecision.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Galewolf posted:

Joe Rogan is basically a war criminal at this point on top of hosting the most vehement "anti-vaxx / just asking questions bro (tm) / just a flu, bro" people while being a sheltered in his Austin mansion eating elk meat and doing drugs.
He seems to be harping on the leaky vaccine = mutations topic. Never mind that delta (and alpha, beta, gamma, and other variants too) all arose pre-vaccination and spread in largely unvaccinated populations. Things are grim enough now with delta; it would even more horrifying if people didn’t have vaccine protection.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Galewolf posted:

Joe Rogan is basically a war criminal at this point on top of hosting the most vehement "anti-vaxx / just asking questions bro (tm) / just a flu, bro" people while being a sheltered in his Austin mansion eating elk meat and doing drugs.

“I like him because he doesn’t seem to be political, like he just asks questions and he has people on from all parts of the political spectrum durrrrrrrrrrr”

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1425207830722879488

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

this guy has justifiable concerns about government coercion and control on a topic that is extremely politicized and he's right to draw parallels to 9/11 as an american.

A second syringe has hit the deltoid!!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

AHH F/UGH posted:

“I like him because he doesn’t seem to be political, like he just asks questions and he has people on from all parts of the political spectrum durrrrrrrrrrr”
Most of his guests range from the far right all the way to the center right!

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Zzulu posted:

The guy took the vaccine why are you all getting heated

It’s easier to yell at people online because crippling anxiety + a full face respirator make it hard to do at Disneyland

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

if we're going to work through this together, we should at least try to understand people on the edge like this poster rather than trying to run him out of the thread calling him a moron and a "5G juice" conspiracy theorist or whatever

lol this is gbs not some panel on vaccine outreach

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Stink Billyums posted:

20% of total ICU space already taken up by covid seems kinda bad huh

I posted that two days ago, it's going up by 1% per day

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

knee jerk distrust is just as bad as knee jerk trust. when the bush admin was getting up to their garbage we knew it was garbage as it was happening because we had the ability to discern multiple sources of information. same goes for almost all of the other scandals you’re using to justify your oppositional defiance disorder.

the difference here is that we’ve been watching the vaccine rollout process the entire time and have only been getting the opposite of red flags. all signs pointed to this being developed with extreme caution yet urgency. do not bullshit us about the bush admin when you told us straight out in your first post what your problem with it was. you’re upset because your hand was forced to do the right thing. the right thing in this case being protecting the people around you.

you’re a selfish dipshit

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Inept posted:

lol this is gbs not some panel on vaccine outreach

this is true and i second guessed making that post, but this thread has seen some pretty vigorous good-faith debate in it, so i was annoyed to see someone with a common (irl at least) stance on government mandated vaccines express their opinion and immediately get made into an anti-vaxx conspiracy theory loony. this thread can be a bit of an echo chamber at times and it's good to see opinions like that expressed and talked about without tearing them to shreds, imo

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

"It's good too see different opinions on these issues :shobon:" goons told themselves while a mountain of corpses piled up behind them.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lmao whoosh

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

this thread can be a bit of an echo chamber at times and it's good to see opinions like that expressed and talked about without tearing them to shreds, imo

yeah this thread goes overboard a lot but

just another posted:

But I very deeply resent that I felt coerced to get it for those reasons and not because I was afraid of Covid, or that I believe The Science, or that I think requiring proof of vaccination is an acceptable ask by government or private industry.

and comparing vaccine mandates to bush 9/11 WMD scavenger hunt is so over the top

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The OP literally told they wouldn't have taken the vaccine if they didn't get social pressured by work and friends, it's neither "extreme anxiety" nor "strawmanning concerned citizens" to call them dumbos.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I keep hearing people say that “I just wanna wait a year to see if it’s safe.”

THATS WHAT WE loving DID.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Galewolf posted:

The OP literally told they wouldn't have taken the vaccine if they didn't get social pressured by work and friends, it's neither "extreme anxiety" nor "strawmanning concerned citizens" to call them dumbos.

no, but it is to insinuate that they're thinking "Fine, I'll get your 5G juice" when they never expressed any inkling of conspiracy theorizing. there are plenty of ordinary people that are hesitant to get the vaccine because the government has constantly bamboozled them (see: people not getting it because they think there are going to be hidden fees because america)

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Every time I hear someone talk about "I won't get Pfizer/Moderna/J&J/AZ it's too new" I wonder what their response would be to "Well would you get Sinovac/Sinopharm then? It's inactivated virus technology that has been around for decades" and I bet the response would be "Well I'm not going to get that one it's not as effective! :downs: "

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Every time I hear someone talk about "I won't get Pfizer/Moderna/J&J/AZ it's too new" I wonder what their response would be to "Well would you get Sinovac/Sinopharm then? It's inactivated virus technology that has been around for decades" and I bet the response would be "Well I'm not going to get that one it's not as effective! :downs: "

I know two people who got the J&J shot specifically because it isn’t a mRNA vaccine

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
We just don't know the long term effects.

Which is why I won't put anything in my body that hasn't existed at least 80 years.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I know two people who got the J&J shot specifically because it isn’t a mRNA vaccine

People who didn't get mRNA vaxx are getting boned on travel. Which makes me angry, because this just validates the prissy brand whore behavior all the loving boomers had up here (BC) during rollout.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

fishing with the fam posted:

Which is why I won't put anything in my body that hasn't existed at least 80 years.
I have some bad news for you about sex

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I would have leapt at the chance.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Galewolf posted:

You're like the people who think that there's no possible way that there's anyone who pivoted away from Bernie because of the attitudes of the people who supported him

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

You're like the people who think that there's no possible way that there's anyone who pivoted away from Bernie because of the attitudes of the people who supported him

This would've made sense if I was American, tbh.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Zzulu posted:

The guy took the vaccine why are you all getting heated

??? It’s really simple. Intelligent people want this pandemic to end. Unintelligent people keep not getting vaccines. People here are trying to understand why, and in particular this persons experience and reasoning. People are getting heated so the poster can tell us what he really feels (which is apparently to own George W Bush lol)

It doesn’t make rational sense for an adult to make a decision this way. “I peer pressured myself into the vaccine” is objectively dumb as gently caress and people want to understand it better. I’m glad the posted felt comfortable to admit it because, god drat, that’s a new one, at least for me. I didn’t realize people were broken in that way and it does help to understand in case we come across people like them. If peer pressure is gunna need to be used then so be it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

not getting my vaccine to own the gbs shitlibs

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"

mitztronic posted:

It doesn’t make rational sense for an adult to make a decision this way. “I peer pressured myself into the vaccine” is objectively dumb as gently caress and people want to understand it better.

haha everyones stupid butt me

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

You see, I'm not one of those loonies think that vaccines will mind control you through 5G or make your arm magnetic. My reasons for rejecting vaccines (but still getting because I got pressured by sheeple) are based on FACTS and LOGIC :smuggo:

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Hehehe...stupid butt

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020

Purgatory Glory posted:

I'll accept that as true. What I will say anecdotally, which may also be incorrect is I have met with a Latino person in Canada who described his Latino family in Florida as "they're crazy, they don't believe in any of it. They won't get the vaccine". Is that an outlier as well?

I know a few Hispanic families in both Texas and Florida, and unfortunately, many of the sisters have married CHUD idiots.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm sorry but comparing Covid to 9/11 or the war on terror or w/e is like, it makes you sound extremely stupid?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
first the brave new world dunning kruger guy and now a guy saying covid vaccines are like the iraq war, this thread owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Inept posted:

yeah this thread goes overboard a lot but

and comparing vaccine mandates to bush 9/11 WMD scavenger hunt is so over the top

You don't think that if social media was as robust and corporatized in 2001 as it is today, the Bush WH wouldn't have been working just as aggressively with social media companies to label dissent as conspiracy theorizing and disinfo? Maybe you're forgetting that it was largely a grassroots pushback against the Iraq War, and that even if we had "all the facts at the start" like PT6A suggested, the same news media warning us about misinformation and assuring us of the government's benign intent today, was way down to kill Iraqis for Hating Are Freedoms back in 2002/2003.

Even if you think mandatory vaccinations and travel & association restrictions are strictly necessary, if you don't think my concerns are valid and rooted in more substance than Infowars tinfoil hat nonsense, then you haven't learned poo poo from the past 20 years.