Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i am ok with the collector, lyrically. it has a theme and is trying to get across some ideas. it's about not being able to let go of all the memories and ideas that you feel are too important and that shaped you and that you can't possibly lose and being frustrated and overwhelmed by it. I made that up. But the important thing is a lot of tracks on all the albums have even worse lyrics but are so cool it doesn't matter. broken bruised forgotten sore! too hosed up to care anymore! imagine that with just a regular guitar shredding normally behind it. Love Nine Inch Nails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Cavauro posted:

i am ok with the collector, lyrically. it has a theme and is trying to get across some ideas. it's about not being able to let go of all the memories and ideas that you feel are too important and that shaped you and that you can't possibly lose and being frustrated and overwhelmed by it. I made that up. But the important thing is a lot of tracks on all the albums have even worse lyrics but are so cool it doesn't matter. broken bruised forgotten sore! too hosed up to care anymore! imagine that with just a regular guitar shredding normally behind it. Love Nine Inch Nails

same

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh gently caress yes

https://twitter.com/HalseyUpdates/status/1418637056545275905?s=20

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Oh shoot, that basically sounds like an unused Ghosts track right there

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy shiiiiiiit :circlefap:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

lol pass

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

no it doesnt

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Yeah that's more like in line with the backends of those three eps. I thought it would be a bit HTDA but here we are .

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just finished the new Woodstock '99 doc on HBO. That festival seemed like a nightmare. Now I'm rewatching NIN's Woodstock '94 set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfV7NLCWiiU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I was 14 in 99 and wanted to go to woodstock so bad, because holy poo poo that was numetal’s excessive peak.

many years later reading about how there were tons of assaults and rapes and gang rapes really hosed me up

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Woodstock has always been an organizational nightmare since day 1. The documentary does a bad job by having them not really go hard at the organizers and they just blame the bands. Everything from the location, the price of water, the awful security, just really a complete gently caress up from beginning to end. They really just allowed this all to happen, I don’t know what they expected. It’s awful because so many people were injured, sexually assaulted and even some died.

It’s an actual good thing that the Woodstock 50th anniversary was cancelled. These guys loving cannot run a festival

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone watched Dr Death? Atticus score is not bad, but also not quite Social Network. Almost as if, Ross/Reznor is an excellent team.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I am still upset we do not have a score for Operation Varsity Blues. It's such an amazing score.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EJN_D9YjVI

Final video of ixi's TDS analysis series is up. So emotional.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Until the ixi video, I never realized that the pre-chorus of Hurt uses those four chords. You know the ones. (But then the actual chorus leaves one out.) She didn't explicitly mention it but she did say they're very accessible, pop-friendly chords. But it's amazing how in that context, they sound so beautiful and inspiring and fresh in the midst of all the brutal nihilism.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Sir Lemming posted:

Until the ixi video, I never realized that the pre-chorus of Hurt uses those four chords. You know the ones. (But then the actual chorus leaves one out.) She didn't explicitly mention it but she did say they're very accessible, pop-friendly chords. But it's amazing how in that context, they sound so beautiful and inspiring and fresh in the midst of all the brutal nihilism.

iirc quite a few nin songs have surprisingly "poppy" harmonies going on. it's just that Trent is exceptionally good at hiding it behind various clever voicings/production tricks/weird sounds/just enough subversion and dissonance to make it work

he also really likes doing the blues-like minor-over-major thing, and also using a major chord as a tonic chord in an otherwise-minor scale - that's *the* go-to Trentism, imo, almost like his signature move (there's a correct music theory term for it but it eludes me atm)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

nurmie posted:

iirc quite a few nin songs have surprisingly "poppy" harmonies going on. it's just that Trent is exceptionally good at hiding it behind various clever voicings/production tricks/weird sounds/just enough subversion and dissonance to make it work

Yeah, those 4 chords in particular are usually especially egregious though -- I mean just ask any music nerd about "those 4 chords" and they'll know exactly what you're talking about. I'm just kind of floored he hid them so well, when I normally have a knee-jerk reaction to them that I have to work to overcome before I can like a song.

Also speaking of pop, here's like a minute or so of the new Halsey.

https://twitter.com/ninhotline/status/1420857499670953987

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah, those 4 chords in particular are usually especially egregious though -- I mean just ask any music nerd about "those 4 chords" and they'll know exactly what you're talking about. I'm just kind of floored he hid them so well, when I normally have a knee-jerk reaction to them that I have to work to overcome before I can like a song.

they're also kind of inverted in Hurt, or at least don't start from the tonic, which probably adds to the confusion :v: (Hurt progression being V - vi - IV - I while the "that" progression being I - V - vi - IV). plus, off the top of my head i can't remember it ever popping up in any other NIN song (poo poo Mirror, kind of? inverted and missing one step?)

as opposed to IV - ii - vi/VI (choruses of Beginning of the End, The Hand That Feeds, The Big Come Down) and vi - V - ii - I (The Great Below breakdown, The Lovers chorus, This Isn't the Place) which seem to be favourites of Trent :v:

e: fixing a shameful error lol

nurmie fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 30, 2021

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I don't know these terms but this is a really cool chat and I feel smarter for having read it :)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

It’s the axis progression and as as soon as you start on a different chord it’s arguably not the axis progression anymore.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 30, 2021

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

massive spider posted:

It’s the axis progression and as as soon as you start on a different chord it’s arguably not the axis progression anymore.

I had a really long effort post that was this, it's just good songwriting using strong chords and chord movement.

Axis progression is about its use as a crutch for songwriting.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

There’s a video of Ed Sheeran doing this on a talk show, where he goes “you can write any pop song with three chords” and then does the axis progression thing. to demonstrate it he sings Craig David’s “walking away”...but to make it fit simplifies the chords of that song from what they actually are.

It’s like, yeah you CAN, because those chords have a lot of strong harmonic motion to the point most melodies won’t sound wrong over the top. But usually there’s a bit more going on than that on most decent compositions . It only becomes offensive when it’s really obvious.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 31, 2021

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
hey guys

Danny Elfman featuring Trent Reznor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXdJd10d8ts

Percy Teatwillow
Jan 9, 2006

let us go out this evening for pleasure, for the night is still young
Danny Elfman usually isn’t my cup of tea, but this is pretty cool. I like it. Trent is still unable to help himself tho, I hope he figures that out.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1adLb9c6U4here is the actual music video too

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's very drat good but I do hope for the next NIN project Trent challenges himself to avoid the electric piano and staccato string patches

Also I may be the only person in the world who wants it but another How to Destroy Angels release would be pretty cool

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Also I may be the only person in the world who wants it but another How to Destroy Angels release would be pretty cool

I also want this.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

there's at least two of us

e: three

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

nurmie posted:

there's at least two of us

e: three

YOU HAVE MY SWORD!

to destroy the angels. teach me how. make an album for it. please.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I also wouldn't mind Trent/Atticus/Karen O collaborating on more than just that Immigrant Song cover at some point.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Sir Lemming posted:

hey guys

Ahahaaa oh wow. Basically Jack Skellington on a Nine Inch Nails song, this is like the nerdy Hot Topic kid version of "Watch the Throne"

Collab chat reminds me of the old Puff Daddy remix. The instrumental version sounds quite a bit like something that could've been on Fragile Deviations imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL7zWSSHSSg

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i desperately hold out hope that there will be another HTDA album someday. i've enjoyed all of the reznor/ross collaborations since then, but Ice Age is probably my favorite music they've ever composed, and mariqueen's vocals were perfect for it

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Does Mariqueen still do anything in music at all currently? I know she had her own band but I haven't listened to them and only see updates on most nin adjacent stuff from this thread.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I imagine she is busy being a mom

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

polyester concept posted:

I imagine she is busy being a mom

Yeah I guess the real question I'm asking is has she at least temporarily retired to focus on her kids and is their any evidence showing she even wants to come back to the industry? That might be the reason. She might have pulled a Rick Moranis and realized after getting away from it, she doesn't miss doing it, and is happier just being a multimillionaire and hanging out with her kids.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

i still have hope the Halsey record will have some dancy poo poo on it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That Danny Elfman track was cool.

You're not the only one. I'd definitely be down for another one of those too :)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Well. Okay.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nine-inch-nails-guitarist-robin-finck-opens-game-studio-with-spec-ops-the-line-dev/1100-6495069/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I never played Spec Ops: The Line, but still, :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I am so down