Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Round 2 testing is this afternoon. Getting nervous! I don't really have any expectations but I can't help but get some stomach knots. Should be fun at least! I have no idea how much talking with the staff member there will be or if it will just go straight into the test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I'm sure there were people who disliked Chu because he was Asian but it's also easy to see why people didn't like him without any bigotry necessary, especially for those accustomed to jeopardy being played a certain way for decades. he also looked sloppy as hell all the time which probably annoyed the olds.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Is there a dress code? When I'm on can I just wear band t-shirts and jeans?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/jeopardy-set-to-announce-mayim-bialik-and-mike-richards-splitting-host-duties?via=twitter_page

Richards and Bialik are going to split it? What a disaster lmao

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
‘Jeopardy’ Set to Announce Mike Richards and Mayim Bialik Splitting Host Duties

"Sony Pictures Television is set to announce that Jeopardy! executive producer Mike Richards will host the long-running daily syndicated program and actress Mayim Bialik will host primetime and spin-off specials of the famed quiz show, The Daily Beast has learned."

:what:

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 11, 2021

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

What? gently caress that.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

:psyboom:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Legit think my wife and I will stop watching jeopardy as a result of this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That's it, I'm done watching the show. A sex pest and an anti-vaxx rape apologist. gently caress this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Show died with Trebeck.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Yep. loving done.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Yep, that'll do it for me. What a disaster.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Human Cow posted:

Yep, that'll do it for me. What a disaster.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

The "make the Price is Right ladies wear bikinis" guy and the "Maybe she was asking for it with how she was dressed" lady are going to be a powerful team, no doubt.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Is the host really why you watch the show? Did y'all want to be on to play the game, be smart on tv, and maybe win a ton of money? Or was it to have a Canadian snark at you for being in the negative?

That said, if there's a ratings dip maybe they'll go Tonight Show and drop the new host for someone good

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Aside from inviting in Bill Cosby or Harvey Weinstein at the last minute, there really isn't a bigger insult to Alex's legacy than to let a sleazy, misogynist, generic, white rear end in a top hat producer scheme his way into taking his job alongside a "scientist" undermining vaccination efforts and hocking snake oil brain pills.

Golbez posted:

Is the host really why you watch the show?

Do you also see no problem with buying Chik-fil-A because it's just about eating chicken?

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 11, 2021

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
At least it wasn't Dr. Oz?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Do you also see no problem with buying Chik-fil-A because it's just about eating chicken?

That's some quality imported drama there.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Golbez posted:

That said, if there's a ratings dip maybe they'll go Tonight Show and drop the new host for someone good

Don't give them any ideas. Next thing you know they'll replace Wheel of Fortune with "The Mike Richards Trivia Show" and package that as the lead in to Jeopardy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Golbez posted:

Is the host really why you watch the show? Did y'all want to be on to play the game, be smart on tv, and maybe win a ton of money? Or was it to have a Canadian snark at you for being in the negative?

If you;re going to do this bullshit for months with a million hosts and then "choose" two of the worst the rest was a waste of time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Ah, so they pulled an Amazon HQ2. (Sort of. It kinda sounds like Bialik will barely be hosting at all. Though I guess that somewhat tracks with the analogy.)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Golbez posted:

Did y'all want to be on to play the game, be smart on tv, and maybe win a ton of money?

I already did this.

What a loving joke.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
https://twitter.com/clairemcnear/status/1425497980149321732

It's official. This show sucks now.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Golbez posted:

At least it wasn't Dr. Oz?

That's some quality imported drama there.

Or you were asking really stupid and/or disingenuous questions about why people don't want to support a show that is employing a piece of poo poo like Richards, so I drew a parallel to a similar situation where people don't want to support a company because of actions they have taken even if they enjoyed that company's product in the past :shrug:

This isn't arguing about minutiae of hosting techniques or entertainment value, it's about Sony employing two objectively lovely human beings to replace a pretty awesome one. Saying "do you really watch the show for the host" sounds a lot like "you don't eat fast food because of politics, it's just chicken" in that context.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm not even a fan of Bialik but holy poo poo just give the whole thing to her, why involve Richards at all? He's a greasy Hollywood freak, does anyone actually want him hosting?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

fadam posted:

I'm not even a fan of Bialik but holy poo poo just give the whole thing to her, why involve Richards at all? He's a greasy Hollywood freak, does anyone actually want him hosting?

Jeopardy executive producer Mike Richards does

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

Ah, so they pulled an Amazon HQ2. (Sort of. It kinda sounds like Bialik will barely be hosting at all. Though I guess that somewhat tracks with the analogy.)

bialik's shows go in line with all the other game show special editions/revivals abc airs

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Lol trying to step to the newCollege Bowl, which I'm told is utter dogshit.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Richards is far worse to me than Bialik. I don't like either one of them but Richards getting the job feels slimy and underhanded.

They should have picked Ken and/or Buzzy.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Or you were asking really stupid and/or disingenuous questions about why people don't want to support a show that is employing a piece of poo poo like Richards, so I drew a parallel to a similar situation where people don't want to support a company because of actions they have taken even if they enjoyed that company's product in the past :shrug:
Maybe you should go back and read the end of that thread again, since you're so intent on importing it. :shrug:

quote:

This isn't arguing about minutiae of hosting techniques or entertainment value, it's about Sony employing two objectively lovely human beings to replace a pretty awesome one. Saying "do you really watch the show for the host" sounds a lot like "you don't eat fast food because of politics, it's just chicken" in that context.

"Two objectively lovely human beings" I mean, hold the gently caress on here. Yeah, they're not great, but "objectively lovely"? How low is that bar, because if Mayim Bialik qualifies then it feels like roughly 2/3 of the human population qualifies. You're allowed to not like her being hired without going over the top.

And then there's the question of, if they didn't even pick Richards, would you stop watching because he's EP?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Jeopardy executive producer Mike Richards does

The Dick Cheney special. Pretty sure I’m done as well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Golbez posted:

"Two objectively lovely human beings" I mean, hold the gently caress on here. Yeah, they're not great, but "objectively lovely"? How low is that bar, because if Mayim Bialik qualifies then it feels like roughly 2/3 of the human population qualifies. You're allowed to not like her being hired without going over the top.

Stop posting you have no idea what you're talking about.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Golbez posted:

Maybe you should go back and read the end of that thread again, since you're so intent on importing it. :shrug:

And then there's the question of, if they didn't even pick Richards, would you stop watching because he's EP?

I have no idea wtf thread you're talking about, but whatever dude. I really wasn't expecting to run into someone white knighting for Richards and Bialik in here and don't have the energy today.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Golbez posted:

"Two objectively lovely human beings" I mean, hold the gently caress on here. Yeah, they're not great, but "objectively lovely"? How low is that bar, because if Mayim Bialik qualifies then it feels like roughly 2/3 of the human population qualifies.

I have bad news for you, sport.

There were better hosts who were better people who probably should have gotten the job instead so people don't have to choose between a quiz show and indirectly supporting that poo poo.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Stop posting you have no idea what you're talking about.

From this thread, her cardinal sin is apparently that 9 years ago she was anti-vax, and now she's not. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Golbez posted:

https://www.haaretz.com/jewish/mayim-bialik-on-why-she-supports-idf-1.5257647

https://www.vulture.com/2017/10/mayim-bialik-apologizes-for-controversial-weinstein-op-ed.html

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mayim-bialik-flu-covid19-vaccines-clarifies-not-anti-vaxxer-204319240.html

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I have no idea wtf thread you're talking about, but whatever dude. I really wasn't expecting to run into someone white knighting for Richards and Bialik in here and don't have the energy today.

You just happened to randomly bring up Chick-fil-A despite that being the one new thread I've engaged in in the last year? Fair enough. So you aren't importing drama, you're just lucky in making it up.

Edit: Also, wow if you think me saying "mayim bialik isn't an objectively lovely human being" counts as white knighting.

Dienes posted:

I have bad news for you, sport.

There were better hosts who were better people who probably should have gotten the job instead so people don't have to choose between a quiz show and indirectly supporting that poo poo.

"Better hosts" doesn't mean that the lesser hosts are "objectively lovely".

Thanks! So apart from the IDF thing (which I agree is not something she should have done, for several reasons) it seems like she's done some lovely things in the past and appears, to my uncritical eye, to be either improving or at least acknowledging them. Wow, such a lovely human being, how dare she *checks notes* get a vaccine and apologize for defending Weinstein.

20 years ago, I was anti-vax, pro-IDF, and generally a dick. I got better. I'm not going to fault other people for at least appearing to try to get better.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 11, 2021

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
She's not blatantly anti-vaccine, but she does the far more insidious, "We should ask questions and it should be up to the parents to decide what is best for their kids," approach now.

Also, this poo poo ran during the commercial breaks a lot during her two weeks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjPLuM8f62E

Golbez posted:

You just happened to randomly bring up Chick-fil-A despite that being the one new thread I've engaged in in the last year? Fair enough. So you aren't importing drama, you're just lucky in making it up.

Or I live in Florida about half a mile from one of those places, so it comes up constantly here and I don't have to make poo poo up :shrug:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Golbez posted:

"Better hosts" doesn't mean that the lesser hosts are "objectively lovely".

Thanks! So apart from the IDF thing (which I agree is not something she should have done, for several reasons) it seems like she's done some lovely things in the past and appears, to my uncritical eye, to be either improving or at least acknowledging them. Wow, such a lovely human being, how dare she *checks notes* get a vaccine and apologize for defending Weinstein.

20 years ago, I was anti-vax, pro-IDF, and generally a dick. I got better. I'm not going to fault other people for at least appearing to try to get better.

She also wasn’t good at her time guest hosting (she was, dare I say, objectively lovely). I should add that. Kind of important, although apparently not that much.

Anyway, I mean I think everyone here seems to agree Richards is the worst part of this, but that said, they both suck, so it’s a double whammy of disappointment to see this poo poo go down.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ugh.

This is the darkest timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I take back what I said about LeVar Burton, he's looking pretty good right now.