Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Saxophone posted:

Is there a good squadron guide somewhere to follow? It seems like a neat system, but I don't know anything about it past "send 4 folks on a mission I can check in the morning" and folks are talking about doing dungeons with them and stuff.

That's a feature that unlocks later, I think when the squad is around level 20 and you get into the second tier of missions. They're called Command Missions, you can take three squadron members into a dungeon with you. Here's a pretty good guide, you can find like a list of missions and whatnot on the consolegameswiki.

It's a little janky, their AI isn't very good and you have to tell them manually to stop attacking enemies that become invincible or whatever. They can eventually become super powerful, with the right attributes they can just annihilate packs and bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they need to haukke manor as a command mission option so i can finally get the cheevo for viewing the whole map

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

they need to haukke manor as a command mission option so i can finally get the cheevo for viewing the whole map

They're never gonna do that, but why not just Unsync it? That's what I did for all the maps I was missing and its fun to go and see like the pirates infighting in Sastasha.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
This site is a bit out of date but when you get to the point that you actually need to try to min-max squadrons to get the final promotion missions cleared, you can use it to plan out any trainings or adjustments needed. http://ffxivsquadron.com

The video guide upthread is a good overview and the perspective that you're basically using them like retainer ventures for more goodies is correct; I get an absurd amount of scrip tokens and other loot from my squad each week.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Tortolia posted:

There's a workaround for "I want to try on the base model appearance for gear I have a glamour already on"!

1) do an /isearch for the gear in question (ex. /isearch Ironworks)
2) find the item in the search results in your chat bar
3) right click the item, try on

Item search just tracks what items you have in one of your inventories/storage solutions, not what glam or color it currently has.

And of course if it's not a piece you yourself have you can ask in FC if someone can link the item to try it on as well.

you can also link the item in chat yourself and it will try on as the 'real' version, /echo (item link) will put it just in your chat log instead of any actual chat channels

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
Just what is going on with the technical issues in this game? Both my friend and I have had constant problems, he has had to reinstall the game twice due to it completely loving up his sound channels, I have gone from consistent 60fps at the settings recommended in the OP to suddenly hovering at around 15fps without any changes, and both of us have had constant crashes to desktop. This fps issue especially sucks, it's come out of nowhere and made the game pretty much unplayable for me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That is weird. I don't think I've ever heard of that kind of issue before. Are you alt tabbing away? I think by default the game caps its fps low if it doesn't have focus

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

Super No Vacancy posted:

Queue up for Kaukke Manor and ask for map completion maybe? From my experience people are always willing to fill out the maps for new players (Haukke Dungeon is short anyway - an extra five minutes to get all the map points doesn't really hurt).

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I had an old lvl 50 paladin on a server somewhere that i dusted off now that my wow subscription is running out, and to say i'm confused is putting it mildly.

For starters, gathering and crafting professions: Whats the point? Like, is it just to make gear? Is this gear better than what you'd get from dungeons or raids?
Also a question I'm sure is related to professions: How do you make money in this game?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

McCloud posted:

I had an old lvl 50 paladin on a server somewhere that i dusted off now that my wow subscription is running out, and to say i'm confused is putting it mildly.

For starters, gathering and crafting professions: Whats the point? Like, is it just to make gear? Is this gear better than what you'd get from dungeons or raids?
Also a question I'm sure is related to professions: How do you make money in this game?

Crafters can make a lot of different things--gear, housing items, desirable fashion items, orchestrion rolls (music that you can play in housing/inns), food, buff potions, and more. Generally speaking most crafters probably aren't making gear for themselves as they level up because dungeon/raid gear will often be as good or better. People enjoy crafting for the challenge of it (it's not like many other crafting systems in MMOs--planning, skill, and luck are involved). There are also rewards you can get for turning stuff you craft/gather into NPCs. These turn-ins are called collectibles and you can get lots of neat cosmetic stuff with them (as well as a ton of other useful things).

Making money in the game becomes much easier as you progress and you don't need to be a gatherer or crafter to make money. I think the MSQ and duty roulettes give you enough money that you're not really hurting for it unless you have a real fashion addiction I guess. Later on in the game, opportunities for making money open up such as treasure maps, farming Extreme trials for rare crafting components, and breaking down gear you don't need to sell the materials.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

there's also a lot of good quest lines behind crafting and gathering

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Being consistent about keeping your retainers going out on ventures is good too, sometimes you can target specific materials in demand, or you can do quick and 18 hour ventures and see what RNG provides. Sometimes you get junk, sometimes you get 700k of dyes to resell.

Basically always be getting gear and items from content you're doing and you can sort out from there how best to use it.

Many things have value even if you have to convert or transform them. For example, my squadron did a successful mission for me today; in the rewards they brought me about 800 combined crafting and gathering scrip (tokens). I could have just bought and resold some materia and made some money. That market can be kind of swamped though, so I bought a bunch of accessories using those scrip. I dismantled them, and wound up with probably 90k in total worth of lumber and sap instead.

Will everything have that kind of transformative value? No, but as you play and refamiliarize yourself with the systems you can absolutely find new ways to keep income coming if that strikes your fancy. I like finding little niches like that, whereas someone else may just churn a bunch of dungeon drops into GC seals and buy glamour prisms to sell and yet another person will buy treasure maps to run with friends and a fourth will be able to garden and grow chocobo onions.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Crafted gear is not important while leveling (unless you're interested in going the hard route and making all of your own stuff, then you do you), but at max level it serves the very important role of being one of the easiest, but more expensive gil-wise, sources for catch-up gear.

It also has a small window where it gives a small power boost, because when a new set is added alongside a raid release it's slightly higher ilvl than what had been previously available but lower ilvl than the new raid gear. So the groups that push Savage raiding as soon as it opens before any strats are figured out, especially those doing the World Race to see who gets the first kill, will usually have some crafters working furiously to get a new set for every raid member as quick as possible. Once the fights are figured out the small difference in ilvl is useful, but much less so than simply knowing the fight so your average Savage raider isn't required to pick up a new set.

So, combining the two above, means crafted gear has a spike of usefulness when it's first added in a patch, but then evens out to handy but not required within a week or two after release. It's a fantastic cycle to keep crafting relevant for the raiding community, instead of only being important to the cosmetic side of the game.

Onean fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 12, 2021

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I'm leveling WHM and I'm reaching the 30-50 portion now so I'm getting neat CDs at least now. Should I be trying to use those pretty much immediately on cooldown or should I actually be saving them? I know a lot of people like to use the Swiftcast CD with rez, but I've only really had one 1 tank die so far and that was largely because he was an idiot. Should I just be blowing it on quick Stone II's on the trash?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

You should be using it on your first holy to maximize your stun uptime since the first stun doesn't have diminishing returns yet and lasts longer than a GCD.

edit: If you're below 45 it barely has any use other than resurrection.

Algid fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 12, 2021

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Not worth it for a Stone imo, absolutely worth it for Holy once you get it. Otherwise I keep it handy in case I need to be able to move while casting, or if someone dies.

Use Regen liberally, it’s super efficient and enough to do most of your tank healing plus the odd “DPS stood in fire” patching up. When you get Benediction, it may be tempting to wait for emergencies, but you’ll get more use out of it if you just let the tank drop to 20% and pop it when it’s up.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nibble posted:

When you get Benediction, it may be tempting to wait for emergencies, but you’ll get more use out of it if you just let the tank drop to 20% and pop it when it’s up.

Quoting for emphasis - one thing that new tanks and healers sometimes take a while to get their head around is their "ultimate" cooldowns can and should be used pretty liberally and not just during boss fights or raids; saving your invulnerability for emergencies only means it's going to sit there unused most of the time. Worst case if the group wipes everyone's cooldowns are reset anyway. Benediction for WHM in particular means that DRK's invuln actually becomes useful, but it's also a great compliment for any of the non-PLD invuln skills.

One of the nice things when running dungeons in SHB as a tank with a dedicated WHM healer was we could easily coordinate and stagger use of our big cooldowns to do absurdly large trash pulls; unless our DPS was asleep on the job it was basically zero risk to wall to wall pull.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Zurtilik posted:

I'm leveling WHM and I'm reaching the 30-50 portion now so I'm getting neat CDs at least now. Should I be trying to use those pretty much immediately on cooldown or should I actually be saving them? Should I just be blowing it on quick Stone II's on the trash?

Swiftcast still makes the spell you use it cost you a GCD after it's cast. It's just you can move during that GCD. Like all off-GCDs it clips (=delays the next GCD if used after a hardcast) and WHM's spells are at most 2.5s cast time. This means Swiftcast is never a gain when standing still and shouldn't be used on cooldown.

Use Swiftcast for movement, on either Stone/Glare or Holy. At low levels it's sometimes useful to get a quick Cure II in if the tank would die before you got the cast off. If you can and it makes sense, cast a useful instant -- Aero or Regen at low levels -- before Swiftcast to avoid the clip.

The Holy stun immunity isn't really a concern. The idea is that by Swiftcasting your first Holy of a pull there will be 5 seconds between the first two Holys exploding, which is longer than the 4s duration of the first stun. It's true that the 2nd Holy stun will not be applied if you're chaincasting ... but it will not increase the stun diminishing returns either. You get your 6ish seconds of stunning everything either way. It's still valuable to Swiftcast your first Holy if it means you get to press the Holy button earlier, and to get weave time to place down Asylum and cast Assize.

On cooldowns, you should try to use the DPS cooldowns -- Presence of Mind and Assize -- more or less as soon as they're available. Hold Assize if it lets you hit more mobs with it, hold Presence of Mind if everything you're fighting will die before it runs out. As with Swiftcast it's nice if you can time them to after an instant to avoid clipping them, but early on you're not going to have much choice.

Healing and mana cooldowns are more of a mixed bag.
- Lucid Dreaming: Use on cooldown if <9000 mana. Build up the habit early.
- Benediction: As mentioned, don't save Bene for emergencies. Let the tank drop to <20% on the next pull if it's up to get maximum value.
- Asylum: A very weak buff, but it is free bonus healing if you can place it without clipping. At L78 it suddenly becomes your strongest area heal with a giant 990 potency HoT. Try to use it for most your group healing if you can (and the group lets you), as well as to heal the tank on trash. Remember to place it on top of the boss/trash pile so the tank can use it.
- Thin Air: Do not use on cooldown, Stones are too cheap. Use it before you're going to cast something expensive, like Medica II.
- Tetragrammaton, Divine Benison: Your preferred tank heals once you get them. Use freely. Ideally use Benison just before the tank engages.
- Plenary Indulgence: Use before any aoe heal if you can do so without clipping.
- Temperence: Not super relevant outside of Savage. Try to get in the habit of using it on big trash pulls in dungeons.

Your healing cooldowns are all oGCDs so always try to delay casting them until after an instant to avoid clipping. This is usually pretty easy, since if the tank could use a Tetragrammaton then they could probably also use a Regen. Yes, this means you often want to put down Asylum after your first heal instead of before, getting the 10% buff on a single heal isn't worth the clip.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Nice, long response. I appreciate it.

Could you clarify what clipping is exactly? I assume it has to do with utilizing the GCD in a way that I'm not casting instants and then still sitting around for a second or two doing nothing?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
something you have to keep in mind from a wow perspective is that everything in ff14 is tied to its physical animation. you can't start up a new global until the ogcd has finished its animation. this means that, for something where the total time of (castbar+animation lock) is greater than the gcd, you've clipped and the gcd isn't constantly spinning.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Zurtilik posted:

Could you clarify what clipping is exactly? I assume it has to do with utilizing the GCD in a way that I'm not casting instants and then still sitting around for a second or two doing nothing?

Normally, if you just chaincast Stone there are no gaps between the casts. The game queues each to cast immediately after one another.

If you try to fit an off-GCD ability in between two Stones then there will be a gap, as you both have an animation lock for the oGCD and lose the queue. The exact gap depends on what ability you're using and what your latency is, but it's going to be roughly 1s. Using oGCD abilities in ways that delay your next GCD is what's called "clipping".

For example, casting Stone > Stone means you spend 2 * 2.5 = 5 seconds and get two Stones. Casting Stone > Swiftcast > Stone means you spend 2 * 2.5 + 1 = 6 seconds to get the same two Stones, due to Swiftcast clipping.

To avoid clipping you want to "weave" your oGCDs, which just means using them after an instant cast GCD ability of some sort. For WHM that usually means your dot, Regen or one of the lily heals (E: using Swiftcast to get more weaves can also be useful). With typical latency and animation timings you will have the time to get 2 oGCDs in after an instant GCD without delaying the next GCD.

Some non-WHM jobs, notably Dragoon, have abilities with long animations and can only weave 1 oGCD between their GCD attacks.

GCD abilities are listed in your spellbook as "Spells" for casters and "Weaponskills" for physical dps. oGCDs are listed as "Abilities".

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 12, 2021

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Is there any way to like "queue" up a skill between GCDs? I do feel like there's a small like ~.5s window where if I hit the button a little early it will still cast. But I wasn't sure if there was any more I could utilize.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
gcd animations can be cancelled by ogcds, and there is a skill buffering window, so you'll most often find players hammering keys to make sure everything is queued asap. this is also why macros are bad - they ignore queueing and wait for the entire animation to move on to the next thing in sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrFTY54h7-E

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zurtilik posted:

Is there any way to like "queue" up a skill between GCDs? I do feel like there's a small like ~.5s window where if I hit the button a little early it will still cast. But I wasn't sure if there was any more I could utilize.

The game definitely queues key presses, yeah. I'm not sure what the timing on it is exactly, but you get a feel for it as you play. Though you still see experienced players in videos mashing the next attack in the rotation to make sure it gets in the queue perfectly in time, it's a hard habit too break (especially in hectic situations).

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Hot drat the end of the ARR story went hard as gently caress. Was not expecting that. And heavensward starts strong too. Enjoying DRK, might take it up in favor of PLD although both have a very strong glam game.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Zurtilik posted:

There is skill queueing in the game, yeah. It's why chaincasting GCD abilities works regardless of your latency. If you press the next Stone within ~0.5s of the previous cast completing then the server will queue it to fire on the first instant that it can.

The queue only queues a single ability, so if you queue something instant -- off or on GCD -- then you incur your latency in delay after it since you can't start to queue the next thing before that instant goes off. That's plus whatever animation lock is involved with the ability, I think; I'm not entirely sure on the details.

As a result, if you have a high latency you might not be able to double weave between instant GCDs without clipping, and some jobs that do a lot of fast weaving have to adjust their rotation to play with high latency.

There's not a ton of tricks you can do with the queue. It means you don't have to mash abilities very quickly, or at all if you time things really well, and it means you need to think a bit about clipping to avoid delaying your GCDs. Mostly it just means you can play the game without worrying too much about your latency, as long as you're not Australian and/or a Machinist.

There's also slidecasting, which is the term for the game letting you move at the last ~0.5s of a cast without actually interrupting it. Slidecasting can be used to move around while chaincasting GCD spells, like Stone. That particular grace period is a separate thing from the ability queue, though.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I often open with a 'Stone' cast and then use the DoT since it lets me get Stone damage in and then let the DoT tick without having the mob already running at me. Granted, soloing isn't usually hard, but is this actually considered a good move?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

McCloud posted:

to iterate on what people said about crafted gear, the gearing process gets reset with every new raid tier (patches x.0, x.2 and x.4), and the gear in each tier follows the same progression:

crafted gear and normal (pug-friendly) raid gear is item level 10
tomestone (what wow players would call valor points i think?) gear is item level 20
upgraded tomestone and savage (hardcore) raid gear is item level 30

the in-between patches (x.1, x.3, x.5) then add more ilvl 20 gear in the form of upgraded crafted gear and alliance (also pug-friendly) raid gear, so crafted gear stays relevant throughout an entire raid tier and lets you do all the content in the game comfortably aside from savage raids, where things are still doable but spicy in crafted gear. even the price tag on crafted gear isn't such a big hurdle so long as you're not a friendless loser now that everyone and their mother is an omni-crafter. obtain what materials you can on your own, purchase the rest for a fraction of a cost, and the various goon fc's should have some crafters willing to help a pal in return for a tip and a thank you.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Zurtilik posted:

I often open with a 'Stone' cast and then use the DoT since it lets me get Stone damage in and then let the DoT tick without having the mob already running at me. Granted, soloing isn't usually hard, but is this actually considered a good move?

Solo WHM? Now we're really down to the world of superfluous optimizations! :v:

Anyhow, I'd say maybe? If the dot lasts for its full duration but isn't worth reapplying after then sure, starting with Stone costs nothing and might save you getting punched. If the dot does not last its full duration you might be better off applying it first if it means one fewer Stone to kill. It takes at least 9 seconds for Aero or Dia to outdamage Stone or Glare so if the mob dies in 4-5 nukes you should just skip the dot entirely and throw rocks until victorious.

For difficult content it's standard to try to time a Stone or Glare to be your first hit just as the tank reaches the boss, then follow up with DoT > Assize > Presence of Mind. This makes up the White Mage "opener", if you can call it that.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Zurtilik posted:

I had that habit ingrained in me from other MMOs, too. It does make some sense, but realistically, the difference in damage to the mob and damage you end up taking is inconsequential. I usually open with Aero just so I can keep moving and maybe get an extra tick of damage in.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

All fair. Mostly just more curious for things like boss FATEs or the occasional big enemy where even small rotation changes might be the difference between death or not. But I guess I should probably just group where I can on most of those anyway.

Thanks for the help y'all!

derra
Dec 29, 2012
How could you write that huge post about WHM oGCDs and forget the most important one:

Fluid Aura: weaved on CD.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Hunter Noventa posted:

The 'main' menu on your menu bar has a way into the macro editor, and this simple macro will toggle the mount music, it does not, annoyingly, work while mounted.

Then you just drag the macro button onto your bar, it'll look like a bard ability in this case, and off you go.

I was pretty sure that mine worked while mounted, but I wanted to double check and then completely forgot to until just now. It does, but I didn't have the /macroicon line. Adding that makes it not work while mounted, which is unfortunate.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

derra posted:

How could you write that huge post about WHM oGCDs and forget the most important one:

Fluid Aura: weaved on CD.

Fun fact: Fluid Aura used to do damage, and weaving it on cooldown used to be ~optimal DPS~. For you. It also used to do a huge knockback so it was not so optimal for anyone else targeting the mob and hoping to punch it, but who cares about those schmucks?

(I hate Fluid Aura and it is the only ability in the game that I don't even have bound)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I actually really used to enjoy using fluid aura’s knock back to punt That One Annoying Ranged Mob into the crowd to get AoEd with the rest of them.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Curious to hear from people (if this is the right thread) what they really like about this game, especially when compared to other MMOs.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

skylined! posted:

Curious to hear from people (if this is the right thread) what they really like about this game, especially when compared to other MMOs.

I like how complex some of the dps jobs are, it feels like most other games put too much emphasis on customization which almost always comes at the cost of rotation fluidity. FFXIV's lack of class customization via talents and the like mean they can really refine a job's toolkit and know exactly what tools players have available. Unfortunately they've mostly stripped this complexity from the tanks but that's a problem for my bored tank friends since dps life is forever.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

skylined! posted:

I like being able to do everything on one character, the way mechanics are designed and telegraphed, the boss fight concepts and designs, the music and ~aesthetic~ and the fact that ninety percent of people I've played with are really nice.

e: I also love the story, of course

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am here 90% for the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Leraika posted:

I like being able to do everything on one character, the way mechanics are designed and telegraphed, the boss fight concepts and designs, the music and ~aesthetic~ and the fact that ninety percent of people I've played with are really nice.

e: I also love the story, of course

I also like all these things, and I like that if I have only an hour or so to play I can jump in and do some of the MSQ, or a 24 person raid, or a couple dungeons and not stress about any of it. It's very pleasant and forgiving on my time.