Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
There's overlap if only by virtue of being mad tattooed guys with downtuned guitars in the same time period. The derivative poo poo like Godsmack or Drowning Pool could go either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Henchman of Santa posted:

I use buttrock for post-grunge stuff like Nickelback.

Wait... Isn't Nickelback numetal? Aren't these the same thing :psyduck:

I started college in the fall of 2001 and all incoming freshmen had a mandatory writing seminar where we researched anything we wanted and presented on it. One of the guys in my section did his presentation on numetal.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nu metal needs that hip hop influence somewhere even if the vocalist isn’t rapping.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

Wait... Isn't Nickelback numetal? Aren't these the same thing :psyduck:

No they’re post-grunge like Creed or Default or whatever. The big nu metal bands are Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Korn, Slipknot, etc.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Buttrock is anything that guys who owned flame shirts listened to.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

post-grunge = buttrock

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Crush 40 is definitive buttrock.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sweevo posted:

Buttrock is anything that guys who owned flame shirts listened to.

whoa, I didn't know videogame MIDIs and The Decemberists are now buttrock

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Buttrock isn’t actually a genre like nu metal. It’s just something you say for whatever you don’t like

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"Buttrock" is basically anything in the range from Post-Grunge to "happier nu-metal". Maybe a general undercurrent of aggression but not like, my life sucks and I want to kill you and/or myself

I would say Nickelback started out more Post-Grunge and later graduated to official Buttrock

Also stuff like Saliva, most of P.O.D., basically sports montage music -- Korn would normally be way too depressing for that.

Obviously there are exceptions though, since Limp Bizkit's "Rollin" is absolutely a Buttrock song.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The best butt rock is in Dynasty Warrior games. Like you said, aggression, but not "my life sucks" or "I'm going to kill you." aggression. More like "I'm here to fight and it's going to be awesome." It's cartoonish.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

here's some butt rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDUBW5x5UKM

is it a real song, or is it butt rock created in a lab just for this commercial? who knows and who cares?

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017
Buttrock is Theory of a Deadman. That's the definition. That's just how it is. Search your heart and know it's true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YrWsmlJSiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR4WFPa6xuI

(I have not watched these videos, I apologize if they're even worse than the songs (probably!)).

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It's gross how it wraps back around to sounding indistinguishable from the crappy country rock my boomer rear end neighbor listens to all the time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

marshmallow creep posted:

The best butt rock is in Dynasty Warrior games. Like you said, aggression, but not "my life sucks" or "I'm going to kill you." aggression. More like "I'm here to fight and it's going to be awesome." It's cartoonish.

THat definitely fits the Sonic the Hedgehog buttrock made popular from the dreamcast games onwards. I wholeheartedly love City Escape. I think part of the definition is that buttrock is kind of a fond nickname. It's something your happy to see sometimes because it's just having fun. FFX's otherworld is basically saying "Hey, wanna have a good time? Come with me. This'll be fun."

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

londonarbuckle posted:

Buttrock is Theory of a Deadman. That's the definition. That's just how it is. Search your heart and know it's true.

(I have not watched these videos, I apologize if they're even worse than the songs (probably!)).

wow yeah, that's some buttrock alright. big-time

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

londonarbuckle posted:

It always weirded me out that Theory of a Deadman, Default, Creed, and Three Doors Down sounded almost identical. Like when one of those bands would come on the radio I would always be shocked when being told who it was by because they all sounded exactly the same (discounting the obvious religious aspect of Creed).

Other interesting tales about radio-safe "hard" rock from that time period, I liked Staind but actually just the one song For You because I thought it was about bullying and being a victim of bullying I appreciated a song like that getting a lot of radio play. I also thought the one Three Days Grace song was about domestic abuse but no it's about drug addiction

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Aces High posted:

It always weirded me out that Theory of a Deadman, Default, Creed, and Three Doors Down sounded almost identical. Like when one of those bands would come on the radio I would always be shocked when being told who it was by because they all sounded exactly the same (discounting the obvious religious aspect of Creed).

I think because I wasn't the sort of person to really care who was making the song, this kind of had the effect of making me feel like I was listening to one band that had a lot of output, rather than a bunch of nearly identical groups.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

I use buttrock for post-grunge stuff like Nickelback.

Nickleback is like a course correction from nu-metal and was kinda generic, standard rock band stuff. I think compounded by the fact that all their songs sounded the same because they found the formula and * poof * bands tried to copy that sound.

The way I understood it and expierenced it was

Late 80s to early 90s: Height of Hair metal, collapse of hair metal and the rock genre with one exception (guns and roses), death of studio bands
Early 90s to Mid 90s: Grunge (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots)
Mid 90s: College rock (Dave Mathews, Barenaked Ladies, Guster, They Might Be Giants)
Late 90s - early 2000s: nu-metal
Mid 2000s: Nickelback-ish clones

And then I stopped following music that closely.

That isn't to say that there weren't other big genres and acts during that time but this is how I remembered it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Aces High posted:

Other interesting tales about radio-safe "hard" rock from that time period, I liked Staind but actually just the one song For You because I thought it was about bullying and being a victim of bullying I appreciated a song like that getting a lot of radio play. I also thought the one Three Days Grace song was about domestic abuse but no it's about drug addiction

I had a friend who would call them collectively theory of a nickelcreed doors down

she was weird

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Buttrock is rock that's bad but occasionally in a charming way.

Like's been mentioned City Escape

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
A lot of what I consider to be the quintessential Buttrock sound basically boils down to the guitarist trying to come up with Tom Morello riffs but not being able to

Which also leads me to conclude that Audioslave may qualify as the greatest Buttrock band.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CharlestheHammer posted:

Buttrock isn’t actually a genre like nu metal. It’s just something you say for whatever you don’t like

That's not true, I use it to describe the Metal Gear Rising soundtrack.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I felt sure the soundtrack for The Shield had a preponderance of buttrock; having checked, the pilot contains Kid Rock and Monster Magnet, so think I’m onto something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Buttrock works well for video game background music, mostly because it's explicitly not trying to stand up on its own. The goofier it is, the better. Like the MGR boss themes all being basically the boss's theme songs from their perspective.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GoutPatrol posted:

whoa, I didn't know videogame MIDIs and The Decemberists are now buttrock

Also They might be Giants and weird al

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Nickleback is like a course correction from nu-metal and was kinda generic, standard rock band stuff. I think compounded by the fact that all their songs sounded the same because they found the formula and * poof * bands tried to copy that sound.

The way I understood it and expierenced it was

Late 80s to early 90s: Height of Hair metal, collapse of hair metal and the rock genre with one exception (guns and roses), death of studio bands
Early 90s to Mid 90s: Grunge (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots)
Mid 90s: College rock (Dave Mathews, Barenaked Ladies, Guster, They Might Be Giants)
Late 90s - early 2000s: nu-metal
Mid 2000s: Nickelback-ish clones

And then I stopped following music that closely.

That isn't to say that there weren't other big genres and acts during that time but this is how I remembered it.

BNL and Dave Matthews Band are alternative rock - college rock is actually its ancestor, the 80s beginning of an alternative rock scene based around stuff that got played on college radio stations and bands touring college campuses. The primary example is REM.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Len posted:

Also They might be Giants and weird al

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xY-oili63QQ

Carnotaurus
Feb 27, 2006

meat-eating bull
I think buttrock is what cock rock became after the collapse of glam metal. Or maybe glam metal is when cock rock morphed in to buttrock. Not 100% sure.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
It's such a shame that butt rock is boomer bg music for people who thought Seether was revolutionary instead of songs about butts.

Carnotaurus
Feb 27, 2006

meat-eating bull

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

It's such a shame that butt rock is boomer bg music for people who thought Seether was revolutionary instead of songs about butts.

Songs about butts seems to be more of a hip-hop thing.

i.e.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oai1V7kaFBk

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so what percentage of this soundtrack is buttrock
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDbha_rQCpMXN2EJ_EQ9vRwCf0Rf98IDt

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Carnotaurus posted:

i.e.

Not the most obvious example, 0/10

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Carnotaurus posted:

i.e.

There is an interview I cannot find rn where he talks about how this song came about and it's just pure joy.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Desert Bus posted:

There is an interview I cannot find rn where he talks about how this song came about and it's just pure joy.

https://twitter.com/imbobswaget/status/1416175066962964480?s=21

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
So at some point did old Buttrock become Dadrock?

In middle school people used to call the kids that listed to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, etc. Buttrockers, but now I hear those bands being referred to as Dadrock.

I was in middle school in 1995/96 for some context.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Butt Rock is just the other side of Cock Rock.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The transition from cock rock to butt rock was the taint rock era.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Dad rock is, like, stuff from 2004 now. The 80s is Oldies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Butt Rock can be defined as "music you might hear in a 3D Sonic game."