Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No new ep until Aug 10th? This scheduling sucks.

Oh FFS. This show is my happy place / comfort blanket right now, I'm going to miss it.
Not even Legends can fill the gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Legends season ends 8/22 and the new season starts 10/13.

Oh gently caress, then I have no idea what they're thinking. Just seems like they've lost their minds tbh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everything is still covid hosed.

Good new episode, loving the bro friendship Superman and Steel are forming.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rhyno posted:

Everything is still covid hosed.

Good new episode, loving the bro friendship Superman and Steel are forming.

This is the start of the show slowly falling into CW patterns, Steel will be the show’s second hero. Rooting for it to not have a quality drop next season.

I half expected John to be spray painting the Superman logo onto the suit when they had him using spray paint. Does comics Steel still have that on his chest?

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Also it doesn't eradicate things and so the name makes no sense at all.

Indeed. The fact that Lara built it to preserve life, the opposite of eradicating it, makes it even weirder. What else did she invent? The "Puppy Disemboweler" automatic feeder and head-patting device?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's a bad translation from the original Kryptonian.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

howe_sam posted:

It's a bad translation from the original Kryptonian.

It was MEANT to just be "a radicator", i.e. something that makes things Rad, it's just that Morgan Edge's dad is so cartoonishly evil that it sounds like "eradicator" coming from him. Poor guy, everyone always assumes the worst of him even when he's just trying to help save his people, just cause he LOOKS like a melting wax museum nazi general.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

XboxPants posted:

It was MEANT to just be "a radicator", i.e. something that makes things Rad, it's just that Morgan Edge's dad is so cartoonishly evil that it sounds like "eradicator" coming from him. Poor guy, everyone always assumes the worst of him even when he's just trying to help save his people, just cause he LOOKS like a melting wax museum nazi general.

Now I'm gonna pretend that after creating "a radicator", Lara-El spent the rest of her time growing and smoking the dankest space herb.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Now I'm gonna pretend that after creating "a radicator", Lara-El spent the rest of her time growing and smoking the dankest space herb.

"I sent them you, my only sons... and Krypton's most righteous weed"

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Good episode of Superman & Lois, definitely curious what kind plan requires the sheer amount of stellar matter the Eradicator'ed Morgan Edge is absorbing.

DC Comics wise the only things I remember involving close-up Sun action is essentially the beginning and ending issues from All-Star Superman, sun-eaters, and the kryptonite/Green Lantern ring fakeout from DC One Million. Diggle becoming Green Lantern in the next few episodes of S&L would be cool, vaguely recall the cosmic forge/solar hammer being used by Lois in the Elseworlds cross-over but that set/pre-Crisis Fortress of Solitude doesn't exist anymore...probably because they reused that prop for the S&L Steel armor suit's kinetic hammer.

Sort of turning on Jonathan as a S&L character..he's too wise beyond his years and everyone and I mean everyone opens up to him within 90 seconds or less. Either he inherited Lois Lane's reporters "now tell-me-everything" superpower or he somehow got Psycho-Pirate's powerset when Oliver Queen rebuilt the DC Comics multiverse?

Non S&L chat: Eobard Thawne coming back to "help" Barry in this week's episode of the Flash made me retroactively mad Thawne never interacted with Stephen Amell's version of the Flash in the Arrowverse Elseworlds crossover a few years ago. Thawne's reaction to Oliver Flash having none of Barry's hangups and not caring about anything Flash related would have been good TV.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
The whole Edge plot made me remember that JJ Abrams draft script for a Superman movie where Lex Luthor turned out to be a secret Kryptonian at the end. Though in that take he was a UFO-chasing government agent instead of a billionaire CEO.

Say what you like about any given Superman movie, we dodged bigger bullets than having Nic Cage in the suit.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

quantumfoam posted:

Good episode of Superman & Lois, definitely curious what kind plan requires the sheer amount of stellar matter the Eradicator'ed Morgan Edge is absorbing.

DC Comics wise the only things I remember involving close-up Sun action is essentially the beginning and ending issues from All-Star Superman, sun-eaters, and the kryptonite/Green Lantern ring fakeout from DC One Million.

There's also the "Return of the Krypton Man" arc that I'm spoilering the details on because it might very well be the comic storyline they're drawing from for the next episode. The Eradicator device had previously attempted to recreate Krypton on Earth by mentally altering Superman and slowly changing Earth's environment to match Krypton's, only to be balked when Superman shook off its influence and tried to destroy the device by throwing it into the sun. Instead, the Eradicator absorbed a massive amount of solar energy and then returns in humanoid form. The Eradicator again tries to recreate Krypton by changing the sun into a red dwarf and with the extra energy it had absorbed from the sun starts making geological-scale changes on Earth much more quickly than before as well as reshaping human structures into Kryptonian architecture. It's no longer trying to change humanity into Kryptonians (which would have taken the longer process it had used before), but is now satisfied with the idea of physically recreating the planet Krypton and having whatever humans survive the cataclysmic changes act as witnesses to its glory. There's even an extended fight between Superman and the Eradicator near the sun during that storyline.

I don't know if that's what's happening, though after skimming through those issues again it tracks even more closely than I thought at first.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Man, Jonathan Kent is a saint for being able to put up with the amount of bullshit he has to deal with daily. I did like the scene with him and John telling him he's allowed to be more than just one thing. I'm really rooting for that poor kid to have something go right and like, inherit flight or something before the season's end.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Jon is definitely my favorite twin. No hate on Jordan (he's a sweet puppydog kind of kid) I always root for the underdog and you can't get more underdog than the normal kid in a gifted family.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Also, have they completely done away with being 14-15? Cause I would have thought conservative America would not be down with 14 y o romantic activity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They're sophomores in high school right? So there's a little wiggle room.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think people are okay with it in general if the characters are the same age. But ultimately it's only kissing, it's not like we're getting into real awkward poo poo.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Sloth Life posted:

Also, have they completely done away with being 14-15? Cause I would have thought conservative America would not be down with 14 y o romantic activity.

What in the arrowverse so far makes you think the creators of these shows give a flying gently caress what conservative America thinks?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I mean, I would say that S&L trends more small-c conservative than Legends or Supergirl. No queer characters, extremely white cast to the point where it was a serious issue in the writer's room and a black woman got fired for speaking up, the sympathetic focus on Kyle's vaguely Trump-coded political leanings and how the town has "cancelled" him and his family... It's not NOT there.

Like, obviously Lord turned out to be evil, etc. But it's still a weird show politically and I wonder if it'll start moving in a more diverse and confident direction, or double-down on being more "accessible" as the new flagship show.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 23, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy2Mf3T48V4

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

I mean, I would say that S&L trends more small-c conservative than Legends or Supergirl. No queer characters, extremely white cast to the point where it was a serious issue in the writer's room and a black woman got fired for speaking up, the sympathetic focus on Kyle's vaguely Trump-coded political leanings and how the town has "cancelled" him and his family... It's not NOT there.

Like, obviously Lord turned out to be evil, etc. But it's still a weird show politically and I wonder if it'll start moving in a more diverse and confident direction, or double-down on being more "accessible" as the new flagship show.

The Cushings are increasingly presenting as Mexican as hell, complete with the cliche of dropping Spanish words in the middle of sentences. John Henry is black. Tag, who got a few good episodes, was Asian. The main woman the show keeps checking in with who got the Kryptonian powers is Asian.

Writer's room stuff aside, I'm not sure where you're getting "extremely white cast."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Maybe it's a surprise that two white people had white kids too. Which are the 4 main characters.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Maybe it's a surprise that two white people had white kids too. Which are the 4 main characters.

Maybe Superman's brother should have been Maori?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

why would you post this

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

oh jay posted:

The Cushings are increasingly presenting as Mexican as hell, complete with the cliche of dropping Spanish words in the middle of sentences. John Henry is black. Tag, who got a few good episodes, was Asian. The main woman the show keeps checking in with who got the Kryptonian powers is Asian.

Writer's room stuff aside, I'm not sure where you're getting "extremely white cast."

Three recurring characters, only one of which regularly gets significant screen time, and a few code switches (laughably presented as "Mexican as hell") are enough to make it not a predominantly white cast? I didn't know representation worked on the one drop rule.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Because it's a good video.

They could have cast a woman of color as Lois back during whatever Crisis she debuted in. Tag's actor could have played a real ally instead of a hostile victim. Nothing about the casting and demographics of this show was set in stone; these decisions reflect the culture they were made in.

As for the Cushings - yes, they have leaned into their Hispanic heritage in recent episodes. I think that's a good turn for the show. But ThoughtSlime's video is right, also - it seems odd that a show where the villain's evil plot is all about brutal, genocidal colonization has nothing to say about Manifest Destiny.

I like this show. ThoughtSlime does too. It has problems.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

why would you post this

ThoughtSlime is good. Also this show isn’t invulnerable to criticism, especially since it fired its one black writer and stiffed her two episodes’ pay for the crime of merely pointing out how white and male the show was.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know the full who's who of the S&L writer's room, but Tucker wasn't the only PoC in it.

E: which isn't to say, "there were two!" is some great masterstroke of diversity mind you,

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

I don't know the full who's who of the S&L writer's room, but Tucker wasn't the only PoC in it.

E: which isn't to say, "there were two!" is some great masterstroke of diversity mind you,

Regardless, the circumstances of her departure are a big oof in and of themselves already.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nine-gear crow posted:

ThoughtSlime is good. Also this show isn’t invulnerable to criticism, especially since it fired its one black writer and stiffed her two episodes’ pay for the crime of merely pointing out how white and male the show was.

I don't care for TS and I'm not saying the show is immune to criticism.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
It's sad that media has been so white and male for so long that I can't even notice it easily. :(

audience members posted:

Oh wow! This show/game/whatever has *multiple* female characters *and* a non-white person! Equality achieved!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Kyle's buddy in the fire department feels like a definite attempt by the show to course correct on their lack of diversity.

Also, poo poo, Clark vs Jordan in the finale is going to be brutal, if that's what they're going for. Yup, they are.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Great episode, and this is gonna be one hell of a finale. I'm surprised there aren't more comments, did everyone forget this was back?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Huh, I just realized that the love interests for the Kent boys are named Sarah and Tegan.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Huh, I just realized that the love interests for the Kent boys are named Sarah and Tegan.

Is this a reference to something?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Tegan and Sara, Canadian indie rock duo, twins, gay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soJtF3F5t2k

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Oh. Never heard of them.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I'm going to be supremely dissatisfied that the finale is likely going to end on the inevitable cliffhanger. Did S1 of Arrow and S1 of The Flash do the same thing?

Odds on next season brining the daughter back from the evil superman earth?

I really liked the build up to the fate Alt-Lois suffered on that Earth and the denouement here. That was a super fun moment indeed.

Did Jordan end up getting possesed by Tal's Dad?

How did the Eradicator / Superman conflict play out in the comics?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Lord Bude posted:

Oh. Never heard of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

hatelull posted:

I'm going to be supremely dissatisfied that the finale is likely going to end on the inevitable cliffhanger. Did S1 of Arrow and S1 of The Flash do the same thing?

Flash S1 ended on a cliffhanger, Arrow S1 did not as best I can recall. The Arrowverse shows tend to opt for teasers that hint at what the next season is going to be about rather than true cliffhangers.