Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Arist posted:

Tangentially related but I always thought it was cool that Marsters went on to voice a character in Dragon Ball Super as a form of "penance" or what-have-you

He was doing interviews while that movie was still in theaters apologizing for it so I'm really not surprised by that ha ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Gonna be real weird hearing Idris Elba’s voice coming out of a whatever the hell Knuckles is

he's an enchilada

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Does Elba keep his natural accent, go stringer Bell, or attempt a Jamaican accent?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I hope so.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

It is a known truth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The three rules of Knuckles are:

A) He does not chuckle
B) He will always be tricked no matter what
C) There is no way Sonic is not twenty times more of a giant white boy than he is.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Sonic 2: Sonic and his lovely friends.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Finally caught TSS, there’s not a lot I can say that hasn’t already been said. I would say it ties with Shazam as my favorite DC movie, and at the same time both fall very high on my list of best comic movies ever; I don’t think I could pick one over the other as they’re so different, both incredibly true to the source material while also adjusting it for the needs of a theatrical production.

I also have to say, I was not expecting to feel genuinely bad for Starro. His final lament was surprisingly tragic, and I appreciated that he wasn’t just a despotic conquerer for no reason, but because humanity expressly pushed him towards it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Please do not conflate humanity with standard US foreign policy.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

ruddiger posted:

Please do not conflate humanity with standard US foreign policy.

I was going to limit it more but Thinker being Scottish and the Corto Malteseans being just as eager to exploit Starro, it was really a group effort, even if the US were the ones who got the horror show started in the first place.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Yeah, I don't think in the context of the movie it would be much different if Russia had found Starro first other than it wouldn't involve Waller's cover up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I also don't think Starro is really that innocent. Like sure, he says he would have been happier being left alone but that's after he murders a few hundred people screaming he wants to take over the world. And like... he's fundamentally a guy who biologically turns people into zombies to feed off of. So I'm not sure he's a reliable source even if humans are assholes too.

But it goes into the whole general theme of things of everyone being roughly half a monster and half a sympathetic person.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That’s why the movie needed loving Jarro.

Someone on Twitter pointed out a Toxic Avenger cameo, it’s playing on a tv in the bg while Bloodsport’s in prison.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
TDK was meant to be Arms Fall Off Boy right?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

twistedmentat posted:

TDK was meant to be Arms Fall Off Boy right?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they changed it because he was created by Gerard Jones and gently caress that guy.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Him and Blackguard seemed to be loosely interpreted since they weren't expressly aliens from the future or whatever.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I thought Blackguard was a Booster Gold villain from the present day?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes, he debuted in Booster Gold.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Eh, the "emotional" beats in Suicide Squad fell pretty short for me. Like at the end when Bloodsport is on the TV and his daughter we haven't seen since the start instantly goes "THATS MY DAD :)".

It's so saccharine and meaningless

I did like Polka dot man too bad about the monkeycheese death of his

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bloodsport’s whole motivation makes more sense when you realize that it was originally supposed to be Deadshot from the first movie

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Bloodsport’s whole motivation makes more sense when you realize that it was originally supposed to be Deadshot from the first movie

They rewrote it and made him pretty distinct from Deadshot. Deadshots daughter knew his profession and was fine with it, they had a good relationship, etc. The scene at the start with Bloodsport and his daughter screaming gently caress you at each other pretty instantly showed the difference between the two.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Elba's performance outclassed Smith in every way. Will was just doing the Will Smith thing that we're all tired of. Elba gave Bloodsport life.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

the bts footage shows Deathstroke in place of Bloodsport in the pre-production art and storyboards, not Deadshot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The reports have always said Elba was at one point meant to take over as Deadshot. Then they thought there's still a chance Smith comes back in the future so they changed his role.

That may have been before storyboarding.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I would like you see Smith come back and interact with Elba. The characters are similar but different enough that it could cause some cool friction that is different than the friction Elba had with Cena. Them arguing about parenting styles could be fun.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ruddiger posted:

the bts footage shows Deathstroke in place of Bloodsport in the pre-production art and storyboards, not Deadshot.

We almost had proto-Ravager? Aw.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

The reports have always said Elba was at one point meant to take over as Deadshot. Then they thought there's still a chance Smith comes back in the future so they changed his role.

That may have been before storyboarding.

That makes no sense. Why would you cast Elba as a replacement Deadshot, get rid of both for the storyboards with Deathstroke, and then go back to Elba and recast him as Bloodsport?

I think a lot of people saw the casting announcement of Elba and jumped to conclusions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, it's from Variety.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/suicide-squad-sequel-idris-elba-new-character-1203181518/

It's possible Elba was Deathstroke first before being changed to Bloodsport.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 11, 2021

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Aside from the helmet, Bloodsport’s armor and color scheme was very Deathstroke-like, and the “he does what I do” line makes more sense if it was a remnant of a Deathstroke draft, before Bloodsport’s quantum tech weapon armor became his power.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's at least one idiot I've seen that thought Bloodsport was a white guy originally before learning BS2 was the white guy and also a white supremacist.

That made me laugh a bit.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

No, it's from Variety.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/suicide-squad-sequel-idris-elba-new-character-1203181518/

It's possible Elba was Deathstroke first before being changed to Bloodsport.

That article corraborates with what I said. Early reports assumed Elba’s casting was a recast of Smith’s Deadshot, the article you linked is Gunn telling them their “early reports” were wrong.

E: I wonder what the timeline is for Deathstroke showing up in early storyboards, being removed, and ultimately showing back up in the JL Snyder Cut.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 11, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...Not sure how you can read this part that way.

quote:

It is unknown what character Elba would now be playing, but after taking the last few weeks to discuss, everyone involved felt this was the right move. The team also did not want to feel as if it was disrespecting Smith, who helped bring this character to life for the first time, by replacing him with Elba.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Probably because the paragraph before it literally says what I wrote?

quote:

Though it was previously reported that Elba would be replacing Will Smith as Deadshot in the new pic, sources now tell Variety that all parties including director James Gunn have decided to move on from the Deadshot character, with Elba playing a new character in “The Suicide Squad.”

Link the previous report and I’m sure you’ll find their “sources” were “I made it up.”

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Probably because the paragraph before it literally says what I wrote?

Link the previous report and I’m sure you’ll find their “sources” were “I made it up.”

That does not say what you said and has no denial that it was at some point Deadshot?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I literally said early reports were wrong and Gunn had to clarify. How is that not said in the article?

Again, link the “early reports” article they’re citing and then cite their “sources” if there are any.

Not that it matters. This will persist along with the “it’s a reboot” because people love memes more than movies.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It doesn't say those reports are wrong in the way you seem to think it does, I don't think, but it's really poorly written so I'm honestly not sure. I totally get your reading of it, but what I get is "it was reported that he was deadshot in those reports, but plans have changed and he is now playing a different character."

Also you're never going to get cited sources for anything on this or any similar topic because why would the author of the article name names and get their sources fired and probably sued for breaking their NDA? That would be a super lovely thing for the writer to do just to convince people on the internet they aren't lying!

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 11, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, that’s unfair on my part, I didn’t think about the privacy needed to protect journalist sources, and I’m sure this whole topic was purposefully obfuscated by Warner bros execs so they can dismantle and rebuild the DCU again.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It seems obvious enough that you really can't convince me otherwise, same as it being a soft reboot.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just realized there's two influenced Erik Larsen characters in this movie. I already mentioned King Shark was inspired by Larsen's Mako, but the Weasel's redesign comes from the Doom Patrol/Suicide Squad special which Erik Larsen drew, and his redesign of the Weasel was influenced by an earlier character he created and debuted in Graphic Fantasy, The Shrew, who would go on to appear in the first issue of the Savage Dragon regular series.

they even used the same Larsen drawing in the Suicide Squad roll call teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8tWKJwyG6Y

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, based on that character and story arc in the film its gonna be hard to dissuade me from a pretty simple and reasonable course of events

1. They wrote the role for Deadshot.
2. They couldn't get Will Smith and cast Idris Elba, considering recasting Deadshot.
3. They decided that was a bad idea so they just tweaked the character slightly and made him Bloodsport.

It falls in line with all the "soft reboot" mixed messaging. They clearly went through stages of what they should do to both keep what they wanted from the first film and separate themselves from what they didn't. But this was probably all done in pre production behind closed doors and eventually they seemed to get to the basic resolution that it was all more complicated than it needed to be.