Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

just another posted:

Even if you think mandatory vaccinations and travel & association restrictions are strictly necessary, if you don't think my concerns are valid and rooted in more substance than Infowars tinfoil hat nonsense, then you haven't learned poo poo from the past 20 years.

Holy poo poo you’re dumb.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

just another posted:

You don't think that if social media was as robust and corporatized in 2001 as it is today, the Bush WH wouldn't have been working just as aggressively with social media companies to label dissent as conspiracy theorizing and disinfo? Maybe you're forgetting that it was largely a grassroots pushback against the Iraq War, and that even if we had "all the facts at the start" like PT6A suggested, the same news media warning us about misinformation and assuring us of the government's benign intent today, was way down to kill Iraqis for Hating Are Freedoms back in 2002/2003.

Even if you think mandatory vaccinations and travel & association restrictions are strictly necessary, if you don't think my concerns are valid and rooted in more substance than Infowars tinfoil hat nonsense, then you haven't learned poo poo from the past 20 years.

i think you're just suffering from the same brain rot that has turned boomers and gen xers into selfish myopic assholes as they've aged

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

“Hey we have a revolutionary new vaccine methodology, it’s been vetted peer reviewed, tested and verified to be…”

“9/11 YOU HAVENT LEARNED poo poo BIG MEDIA”

“… this is a public health iss-“

“BUSH BAD GOVMENT BAD BIG PHARMA”

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

just another posted:

You don't think that if social media was as robust and corporatized in 2001 as it is today, the Bush WH wouldn't have been working just as aggressively with social media companies to label dissent as conspiracy theorizing and disinfo? Maybe you're forgetting that it was largely a grassroots pushback against the Iraq War, and that even if we had "all the facts at the start" like PT6A suggested, the same news media warning us about misinformation and assuring us of the government's benign intent today, was way down to kill Iraqis for Hating Are Freedoms back in 2002/2003.

You're equating Bush's "War on Terror" with the covid-19 vaccines which is where this whole argument falls apart.

By that logic someone saying "I heard the vaccine makes your balls sterile from a guy on facebook who sells brain pills." is as valid a voice as someone who said "Wait why are we calling them the Axis of Evil?"

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Yeah, I'm sorry OP for putting you in the 5G loonies basket, you sure proved me wrong LMAO.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Covid19 is like the Boston tea party and the vaccine is like the Louisiana Purchase. So many parallels. Y'all should be cautious.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
Anecdotally, a friend just got JnJ because over time people got tired of accommodating them. They’re still skeptical of mRNA vaccines and whenever I tried to talk with them about it I get links to Bret Weinstein’s podcast. Early on in the pandemic they tried to talk to me about the “terrain theory” of disease and a connection to 5g towers activating diseased tissue.

If you use broad truths about profit-motive and corruption then it’s easy to justify beliefs about anything. How were we supposed to develop a vaccine without pharma involved, unless it also involved an expansion of emergency government power...which is also bad?

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

MrQwerty posted:

I worked in pharma for a half-decade and, while everyone at the top is absolutely in it for disgusting, profit-motivated reasons; most everyone else, from discovery to production, generally want to help people in some capacity. The COVID vaccine is not some government control + profit motive wet dream come to life, nobody even gave a gently caress about mRNA vaccines when they were looking into them as an HIV vax and the Federal government is just now beginning to take baby steps like "making people who took anthrax vaccines get vaxxed for COVID," and, "acknowledging that vaccine mandates are a real thing."

As such, when I read poo poo like that, I'm going to treat it as an unfounded conspiracy theory that drat near convinced someone to not get vaxxed, but the social pressure was too great.

I was a teenager/early 20's during Bush 2 as well and have no love or trust for the Federal Government, but seriously.

Anecdotally, I wonder if the reason that the AZ vaccine basically got shunted to the side for US approval is that AZ isn't making money off it here?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
My work just announced that our previously announced optional return to office is being indefinitely deferred. We had been moving forward with an optional return to office for fully vaccinated individuals. Now it's only for people who have roles that require them in office(physical infrastructure, mail sorting, etc) and those will all still be required to vaccinate.

It's so weird to deal with my company repeatedly making these correct decisions.

Mush Mushi posted:

Anecdotally, a friend just got JnJ because over time people got tired of accommodating them. They’re still skeptical of mRNA vaccines and whenever I tried to talk with them about it I get links to Bret Weinstein’s podcast. Early on in the pandemic they tried to talk to me about the “terrain theory” of disease and a connection to 5g towers activating diseased tissue.

If you use broad truths about profit-motive and corruption then it’s easy to justify beliefs about anything. How were we supposed to develop a vaccine without pharma involved, unless it also involved an expansion of emergency government power...which is also bad?

Love to not believe in germ theory and pretend we didn't only start to control and treat a wide variety of diseases once we understood it.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Inept posted:

lol this is gbs not some panel on vaccine outreach

Is it tho
:thunk:

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Manufacturing consent good, actually.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

You can recognize that capitalism is not good and that it can still produce things that help

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

compshateme85 posted:

Anecdotally, I wonder if the reason that the AZ vaccine basically got shunted to the side for US approval is that AZ isn't making money off it here?

CMOs in the US are absolutely making money and generating work filling AZ

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

just another posted:

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 11, 2021

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Mush Mushi posted:

Early on in the pandemic they tried to talk to me about the “terrain theory” of disease and a connection to 5g towers activating diseased tissue.

It's a bit of a tangent, but this is one of the many reasons chiropractors should never be taken seriously. Terrain Theory is one of the big concepts in chiropractic and if a chiropractor claims to not believe in it, why are they are chiropractor?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

just another posted:

There's a difference between manufactured consent and people acknowledging the clear facts about a situation that have not received any repudiation from any reputable source. If a bunch of people are saying the sky is blue, it's not because the mainstream media is telling them that it is, it's because they can see it in front of their face.

Going back to your Iraq War example, while there was a clear push from a lot of major media to follow the administration's lead to war, it was not nearly as unanimous or without objection as you are making it out to be. There were plenty of objecting voices from authoritative sources (like the European nations that were actively against it), and not just InfoWars jackasses. There is no similar objections to vaccinations, because they are safe, effective, and necessary.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

CMOs in the US are absolutely making money and generating work filling AZ

AZ itself isn't making money though.

Also, the CMO in Baltimore stopped producing AZ vaccine in April.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
this guy read chomsky and watched loose change 15 years ago in college, he can see through the governments bullshit.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
in fact we are all proving his point by parroting the message that has been shoved down our throats by the government. if only we could take the wool off our eyes

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

just another posted:

The global pandemic is actually happening dumbass

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

compshateme85 posted:

It wasn't really needed. By the time they got their poo poo together after their whole clinical trial fuckup (gee who would have thought testing your COVID vaccine on the elderly would be important?) the US was so flooded in mRNA shots it was kind of pointless.

Like it's a good vaccine at all but when you have a basically unlimited supply of Pfizer and Moderna what niche does a vaccine that had, while good protection, still somewhat inferior protection, and that risk of blood clots (while small) the mRNA shots didn't.

Like a big thing with EUAs is the whole benefit to risk calculation and even though the blood clot risk was small, what sense is there to risk it just to get slightly lower protection when you can just use Pfizer/Moderna instead? J&J at least had a niche in being a single shot.

AZ wasn't making any money off it in Canada either but as soon as mRNA shot supplies picked up it was phased out with second AZ shots replaced by mRNA. But back in the winter when we had nothing? Yeah the math was a bit different then and it was being administered.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 11, 2021

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

AstraZeneca vaccine is probably the one that will rule Latin America, the way things are going, since it's the cheapest one. I heard it was going to be manufactured in Argentina for distribution to all south america

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

just another posted:

Bush aside… Apparently you haven’t learned anything about vaccines in the past 20 years, so I’m not sure this is the slam dunk you thought

If people won’t get the vaccines, what alternative do you have besides a mandate? Like, what do you view as a best case here, without a mandate?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

hey if you're reading this, get vaccinated. thank you.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

ben shapino posted:

How much did SOROS pay you to post this? Hmmm did the Bill Gates check clear yet??? Why do you want to limit MY FREEDOM

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

QuarkJets posted:

Two close friends who vaccinated early, wear masks, and don't go anywhere or do anything just tested positive and think they caught it at the office they work in, where everyone is already vaccinated and always masked up except to eat and drink. Which in hindsight, seems like a pretty stupid shortcoming of the rules when the delta variant is more transmissable than chickenpox. Time to start eating in my car I guess

They are both young, fit, healthy, vaccinated, and apparently getting destroyed by the symptoms right now.

When you say vaccinated “early” how early are we talking? Jan/Feb? I got my second shot March 8th and I’m wondering if I’m coming up on my immunity waning zone of 6 months…

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It wasn't really needed. By the time they got their poo poo together after their whole clinical trial fuckup (gee who would have thought testing your COVID vaccine on the elderly would be important?) the US was so flooded in mRNA shots it was kind of pointless.

Like it's a good vaccine at all but when you have a basically unlimited supply of Pfizer and Moderna what niche does a vaccine that had, while good protection, still somewhat inferior protection, and that risk of blood clots (while small) the mRNA shots didn't.

Like a big thing with EUAs is the whole benefit to risk calculation and even though the blood clot risk was small, what sense is there to risk it just to get slightly lower protection when you can just use Pfizer/Moderna instead? J&J at least had a niche in being a single shot.

AZ wasn't making any money off it in Canada either but as soon as mRNA shot supplies picked up it was phased out with second AZ shots replaced by mRNA. But back in the winter when we had nothing? Yeah the math was a bit different then and it was being administered.

Actually studies have shown than AZ followed by Pfizer has a higher T cell than double Pfizer. Double Pfizer has highest antibody response.

Anyway, I'm not disputing any of this, but you would think if AZ stood to make any money off it in the US they would have pushed for EUA regardless.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

compshateme85 posted:

Anyway, I'm not disputing any of this, but you would think if AZ stood to make any money off it in the US they would have pushed for EUA regardless.

Not necessarily. There can be a fair bit of back and forth behind the scenes with things like pre-submissions and if the FDA indicated due to the aforementioned reasons they may not get emergency use authorization, I could 100% see them not pushing it to avoid headlines of "AstraZeneca DENIED Emergency Use Authorization in the United States". Like what do you think that would do to confidence in their vaccine?

The math on full approval is different though and there is talk that they might just be going through the longer process for regular FDA approval instead. Not a guarantee but it's definitely more likely for them to get than an EUA.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 11, 2021

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

ben shapino posted:

And wear a mask. Delta has the same massive viral load in vaccinated and unvaccinated people, so cover your wet mouths.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

In the netherlands, the authorities are trying to figure out if a single shot was actually enough for J&J. It may turn out not to be single shot after all.

Expected outcome: the medical researchers will conclude that a 2nd shot would be a huge benefit, and our failing government will stick to the opinion that a single shot is enough, really, don't worry about it. Just like it's fiiiine to quit wearing masks. Just ignore that bump in infections, it's probably just a glitch in the system.

Sigh.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/formvscontent/status/1425329439420866563

Video of chuds threatening to kill a doctor for recommending kids wear masks for a month

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Pictured: ~*other voices we need to hear*~

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Video of chuds threatening to kill a doctor for recommending kids wear masks for a month

I'm telling you I can't believe what I have lived to see

Everyday I see a new story and it's like a bad science fiction movie

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

:stare:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I know it's been said there were anti-maskers and I believe even protests during the Flu Pandemic of 1918, but were there incidents of random anti-maskers threatening to murder doctors for suggesting people wear masks? Were there entire cottage industries springing up of selling fake masks to anti-maskers so that they could spite people who took the pandemic seriously?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I normally don't wish ill on people but I hope those two assholes screaming WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE, WE KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE!!! will get Second Amendment-ed if they ever try to harass those people with masks holy poo poo.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I also "love" how calm and level headed the police are when it comes to people who are literally threatening medical personnel with violence and death.

"They're on our side, police is on our side"

Yeah, we can see that clearly, you fuckheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gone Fashing posted:

i think you're just suffering from the same brain rot that has turned boomers and gen xers into selfish myopic assholes as they've aged

you're thinking of it backwards... all the good'uns died young but the wicked lived to be old and rule the world. like kobe and michael jordan