Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Got these in from Light in the Attic last week and finally gave them a listen. The Country Funk albums are a lot of fun, maybe I should get more country (not Garth Brooks)

Also I subjected my coworkers to some city pop last night, I should get some more city pop before summer's over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
picked up a classic today

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Cool

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

tinaun posted:

I have that one too. It’s up there with “random guy in a doorway” Zeppelin IV for Russian Bootleg covers

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Arcella posted:

Also I subjected my coworkers to some city pop last night, I should get some more city pop before summer's over.

:sickos:

Also, I ordered this on Friday (should be shipping out this week), I recommend if you enjoy jazz vocals.

https://samarajoy-whirlwind.bandcamp.com/album/samara-joy

Look at how pretty the disc is!

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Arcella posted:

Got these in from Light in the Attic last week and finally gave them a listen. The Country Funk albums are a lot of fun, maybe I should get more country (not Garth Brooks)

Country funk? I'm very intrigued.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

:sickos:

Also, I ordered this on Friday (should be shipping out this week), I recommend if you enjoy jazz vocals.

https://samarajoy-whirlwind.bandcamp.com/album/samara-joy

Look at how pretty the disc is!

I'm over color vinyl and go for the normal black but that actually looks really great.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I'm a bit overdue for a new stylus because the replacement for mine costs 200 dollars. What's funny is that the cart that goes with it costs the same as a stylus so they're basically telling you you're being ripped off. I have a hard time believing there'd that kind of a loss leader involved.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Arcella posted:

Those Country Funk records are so good. I didn't know there was a third volume. Might have to pick that up. (Wow. Out of stock already? Got both other volumes in one of their clearance sales. Crazy.)

My main complaint with LITA is almost every record I get from them is a really nice thick gatefold. Haha they take up a lot of space.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

tinaun posted:

did something happen with Russian versions of albums this week

a whole box of them dropped at my local store, and then there were a bunch in the new arrivals section when I went to Princeton Record Exchange today

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

also saw this lmao

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Batman-Forever-Original-Music-From-The-Motion-Picture/release/19506805

blue AND silver? in THIS economy?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This garbage is why indie bands and labels are getting hosed over. If there was actually a future this would be the junk no one wants at the thrift store 10-30 years from now.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

CaptainBeefart posted:

Country funk? I'm very intrigued.

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/729-country-funk-1969-1975

and

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/7878-country-funk-volume-3-1975-1982

I like being able to listen to snippets of songs on many of LitA's listing, helps with blind buys. Vol 3 is a new release, and Vol 1 is a repress.

I'm regretting not preordering both of those Casiopea represses but I balked at $50 per record.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Arcella posted:

I'm regretting not preordering both of those Casiopea represses but I balked at $50 per record.

Yeah, a lot of LITA's Japanese music releases are EXPENSIVE. I had to choose between Mint Jams and the red racecar album...I went with the former. HOPE I DIDN'T MAKE A MISTAKE.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

This garbage is why indie bands and labels are getting hosed over. If there was actually a future this would be the junk no one wants at the thrift store 10-30 years from now.

I think I could go into any thrift store in America tomorrow and walk out with 4 copies of that on cd.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Yeah, a lot of LITA's Japanese music releases are EXPENSIVE. I had to choose between Mint Jams and the red racecar album...I went with the former. HOPE I DIDN'T MAKE A MISTAKE.

I'll probably pick them up on discogs eventually. I really like the art of the racecar album, reminds me of my dad's paintings.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Um.... Well I do own a purple and green copy but I think I grabbed it for $8 from one of those Urban Outfitter sales. It is a pretty dire soundtrack though. I'm just a sucker for dropping things like Kiss From a Rose in the middle of my sets.

I think there is some really wonky licensing issues with a lot of Japanese music making it kinda expensive. One good thing about the "vinyl revival" is that more people aren't batting an eye at $40+ re-releases. I think 15 or so years ago releasing niche records that expensive would have been more risky.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 11, 2021

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Why can't they ever press the cool nostalgiabait poo poo like The Powerpuff Girls' Heroes & Villains, though? <:mad:>

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I just want the Rilakkuma and Kaoru OST on vinyl please. I gritted my teeth and paid $16 for a goddamned download off itunes last year that I had to convert to usable formats because it was unavailable in any physical form. I loathe paying for non-tangible media. It’s a real nice little soundtrack though so I bit the bullet.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

I think I could go into any thrift store in America tomorrow and walk out with 4 copies of that on cd.

But why not pay 40 bucks for a lovely sounding poorly pressed LP of this soundtrack album no one actually likes except for one or two songs?

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

While I did NOT pick up the Batman Forever OST (I'm waiting on the mega-ultra-deluxe colored vinyl where each LP looks like a different side of Tommy Lee Jones' Two-Face suit or whatever. I'll have to put a second mortgage on the house to pay for it), I did have a fantastic day for collecting.

I'm sure lots of east coasters in the thread have been to Princeton Record Exchange. If you haven't it's well worth a visit if you're ever in New Jersey.

-I know most College Dropout pressings are pretty bad, and the one I got yesterday had a lot of cracks and pops for a brand new LP. But I got it for less than 20 bucks and I'm happy I'm able to cross it off my list finally. But I'd 100% listen to my original CD copy over this any day.

-The Hounds of Love rerelease from 2018 sounds fantastic, holy poo poo. I'm so glad they did one of my all-time favorite albums justice.

-A used copy of Hatful of Hollow from 2011 that was cheap. It sounds good. I guess this was one of the rare decent modern pressings according to the, uhh, experts on Discogs

I also got a call from my mom who gave us her entire record collection because she hasn't listened to them in years and she is trying to declutter her house. I haven't gone through everything yet but lots of cool stuff like a lot of old Stevie Wonder LPs. Also an Animal Collective album because she "like the cover" lmao

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lol I was actually considering the Batman Forever soundtrack and i never buy soundtracks, it's right in my nostalgia zone. I'd also consider purchasing the Armageddon soundtrack. but BF has some actually good tracks, the U2, Seal, Massive Attack, Offspring tracks are all great. So 4 songs. The Method Man/Nick Cave/Flaming Lips ones might be good too, I don't remember

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I have no room to talk seeing as I have several dumb soundtracks in my collection (they are actually things I like the music on, and I listen to them but still) but browsing a store near me and they had like six copies of the soundtrack for the David O Russell movie “Joy” that were I guess record store day things and like… who is gonna buy that?

Anyway I picked up a goofy dual release of the soundtracks for Singin in the Rain and The Easter Parade for $20 which is a few buck more than I’d want to spend on something like that but oh well.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The Harder They Come is the best soundtrack

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

The Walrus posted:

lol I was actually considering the Batman Forever soundtrack and i never buy soundtracks, it's right in my nostalgia zone. I'd also consider purchasing the Armageddon soundtrack. but BF has some actually good tracks, the U2, Seal, Massive Attack, Offspring tracks are all great. So 4 songs. The Method Man/Nick Cave/Flaming Lips ones might be good too, I don't remember

I mean I'm the person who said I would buy a Pure Moods LP and was only half joking so who am I to judge lol

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

BigFactory posted:

The Harder They Come is the best soundtrack

I'm not even a big reggae fan and I absolutely agree with this statement.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Stan Taylor posted:

I have no room to talk seeing as I have several dumb soundtracks in my collection (they are actually things I like the music on, and I listen to them but still)

In my un-asked for opinion, that's what makes it okay. :) As long as it's music you enjoy and listen to, no shaming! Buy things you enjoy, don't buy things to re-sell them. YOU'LL PRY MY COWBOY BEBOP OST FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS.

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

Also an Animal Collective album because she "like the cover" lmao

Which one? I'm only familiar with their album Merriweather Post Pavilion, but it's a good 'un.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Which one? I'm only familiar with their album Merriweather Post Pavilion, but it's a good 'un.

Strawberry Jam. I only know MPP as well. Might give it a listen later.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Strawberry Jam. I only know MPP as well. Might give it a listen later.

Strawberry Jam rules. It’s only slightly harder to get into than MPP but it was a lot of people’s first AC album and part of why MPP popped off so hard. Peacebone and For Reverend Green still get heavy play for me.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Centipede Hz. is secretly where it's at.

I swear if Pitchfork is shitcanned, I will be livid.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

caligulamprey posted:

Centipede Hz. is secretly where it's at.

I swear if Pitchfork is shitcanned, I will be livid.

I recently went through the entire Animal Collective discography all in a row in preparation for that Pitchfork set. MPP is nearly desert island to me, Strawberry Jam isn't far behind and Centipede Hz is third to me. Painting With is kinda ok and the rest of their music is borderline unlistenable.

Chicago just had Lollapalooza without much incident and Pitchfork just sent an email that they're relaxing the requirement to wear a mask the whole time so I'm sure it'll go on without much issue.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Pitchfork is great because their reviews suck and then they scrub them once they get made fun of enough

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Hey, speaking of Animal Collective and MPP....maybe someone here can help me, since there's a lot of indie loves here. It's a long-shot since my description is vague, but...

At the same time I discovered "My Girls" from that album, I was listening to another indie song that came out around the same time (2008/2009). It had a sort of Fleet Foxes sound to it, but it wasn't them...all I remember is the music video featured a snowy landscape (Alaska?) with sled dogs pulling a sled running across it. It was a very sad-sounding song (yes, I know, it's indie, it all sounds sad), possibly something about apologizing or feeling guilty. Sorry if this is vague, but that's all I remember and it's driving me nuts. Argh!

Also, to contribute to the thread instead of just asking for decade-old indie music with vague directions:
I found a pristine copy of this at my Goodwill, looks like it's from 1963. One of the tracks is named "Russian Roulette"...scandalous!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Barry posted:

Chicago just had Lollapalooza without much incident and Pitchfork just sent an email that they're relaxing the requirement to wear a mask the whole time so I'm sure it'll go on without much issue.

Huge lmao

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The second issue of Deck 7, a Boaty Weekender fanzine, is coming out soon and will have a limited edition Flexi of the Whyte Horses’ cover of ”Ease Your Feet into the Sea” as heard here in the streets of Cagliari on the Saturday of Boaty Weekender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9ZV88yUhto

The cover photo is an overhead shot of the video’s filming. Anyway if you’re a B&S superfan then may as well pick up the first issue too if, like me, you were heretofore unaware of this zine’s existence. Get the digital copy too and maybe the publisher will drop you a kind note. Absolute madness.

Whether or not you’re buying anything or even give a gently caress :hehe: about belle and sebastian, i would suggest watching that video as it is incredibly charming and lovely and all the other adjectives.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

This is a great mallsoft album, if you'd like to crowdfund it with me. :) 93/100....just need a few more!

https://qrates.com/projects/23647-floristic-regions-vol-2

(Note: This is my first time funding something off Qrates, so please disregard if they suck or something!)

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 11, 2021

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Hey, speaking of Animal Collective and MPP....maybe someone here can help me, since there's a lot of indie loves here. It's a long-shot since my description is vague, but...

At the same time I discovered "My Girls" from that album, I was listening to another indie song that came out around the same time (2008/2009). It had a sort of Fleet Foxes sound to it, but it wasn't them...all I remember is the music video featured a snowy landscape (Alaska?) with sled dogs pulling a sled running across it. It was a very sad-sounding song (yes, I know, it's indie, it all sounds sad), possibly something about apologizing or feeling guilty. Sorry if this is vague, but that's all I remember and it's driving me nuts. Argh!

Also, to contribute to the thread instead of just asking for decade-old indie music with vague directions:
I found a pristine copy of this at my Goodwill, looks like it's from 1963. One of the tracks is named "Russian Roulette"...scandalous!

I feel like I have a vague recollection of this and it's going to come to me in my sleep four days from now.

So stay tuned perhaps. Help is (maybe) on the way

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

What's so funny

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I feel like I have a vague recollection of this and it's going to come to me in my sleep four days from now.

So stay tuned perhaps. Help is (maybe) on the way

Thank you, you angel! It's been driving me nuts for days now. My vague Googling just gets me "Iditarod" by Cape Francis, but that definitely wasn't it, plus was uploaded in 2018, not 2008/2009. It's got a similar sound though (plus features sled dogs), which is why I think I keep getting it as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Barry posted:

I recently went through the entire Animal Collective discography all in a row in preparation for that Pitchfork set. MPP is nearly desert island to me, Strawberry Jam isn't far behind and Centipede Hz is third to me. Painting With is kinda ok and the rest of their music is borderline unlistenable.

I was already on the fence about going to Pitchfork for Sunday but I'm bowing out at this point. Not looking forward to telling my friends.