Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Voters won't remember this in a few months, if the Dems are smart (they aren't) they'll hold out and just prevent all legislation from passing. It's worked for the GOP for 15 years. And capitulating hurts them by a percent or two in voting suppression anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1425180964100222984

Everyone is acting like this is beyond the pale but nearly every parliamentary body in the world is empowered to compel the attendance of membership to establish a quorum. The original purpose of the US Senate Sergeant of Arms was to chase down absent members. It's in every edition of Roberts' Rules of Order. Also, all the members know this -it's in both the state constitution and the House rules which they all approved - but are pretending they don't in order to gin up outrage (or in this case, raise campaign funds)

You're legally correct. In the modern age, people have been bombarded with alternative realty that started way before Trump, and even before Luntz and Turd Blossom. We have lived on a steady diet of misinformation and political posturing since, forever. It's a feed back loop. Government is broken, therefore it is permissible to ignore government and its laws, since the other side ignored the laws, government must broken, therefore its ok for our side to ignore government, on and on.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ksatnews/status/1425202499015880708?s=20

loving finally a small victory.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

1000 pages of texas democratic party failure

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

i say swears online posted:

1000 pages of texas democratic party failure

love my lovely state

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

Voters won't remember this in a few months, if the Dems are smart (they aren't) they'll hold out and just prevent all legislation from passing. It's worked for the GOP for 15 years. And capitulating hurts them by a percent or two in voting suppression anyway.

i mean if it's still happening the voters will probably remember

like what is the end game for this, assuming that joe manchin does not allow a new voting rights law to be passed? or are they supposed to stay in dc until (very optimistically) january 2023?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Texas deserves to be like Belgium, nothing more nothing less.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

like what is the end game for this, assuming that joe manchin does not allow a new voting rights law to be passed? or are they supposed to stay in dc until (very optimistically) january 2023?

https://twitter.com/Forrest4Trees/status/1425133041370996738

Pretty decent article -or should I say tick-tock :smug: - of the D's wild DC month. This is the guy that broke the Gonzales/Johnson Portugal Vacation story. Highlights:

quote:

Others on the plane were making similar family sacrifices. One row in front of Sherman sat Erin Zwiener, a 35-year-old Democratic state representative from Driftwood, in the Hill Country, who brought her luminous 3-year-old daughter, Lark, with her. Across the aisle was Diego Bernal, a 45-year-old attorney from the West Side of San Antonio, who had left his nearly 4-year-old daughter back home with his ex-wife. He, like Sherman, was turning to history for inspiration. During the flight, he read The Sword and the Shield, a dual biography of Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr. Representative Trey Martinez Fischer, who was also on the flight, had given the book to every member of the House during his short-lived campaign for Speaker last fall.

Could not be more of a TMF thing

quote:

Many Texas Democrats felt emboldened. They were getting lots of attention. But nobody knew how to convert that publicity into tangible progress. Federal legislation could easily pass the Democratic-controlled U.S. House. But in the Senate, it would face a Republican-led filibuster. The only way to overcome that obstacle would be to change the rules regarding filibusters—a move opposed by two Senate Democrats, Joe Manchin, of West Virginia, and Kyrsten Sinema, of Arizona, as well as Biden.

quote:

Quorum-break decorum became especially important for those vulnerable Democrats. Their critics were hungry for any morsel of gossip that could undermine the caucus’s cause. The first viral image of the Democrats’ D.C. expedition was that of a pack of Miller Lite that they’d taken with them on the bus to the airport, and which GOP representatives in Texas presented as evidence that their counterparts were unserious. #MillerDs became the meme—a reference to the Killer Ds of 2003, who decamped to Ardmore, Oklahoma, in a failed attempt to defeat a Republican redistricting plan. Once in D.C., members had learned their lesson, and they carefully avoided even dipping a toe in the hotel pool for fear of a leaked snapshot that might suggest that maybe this was a vacation after all. That is, until the end of the session, when two members of the caucus—Julie Johnson, of Farmers Branch, and Jessica González, of Dallas—took a long-planned trip to Portugal, two other Democrats in D.C. told Texas Monthly. (“No one has shown proof. These are rumors, period. End of story,” González texted the San Antonio Express-News.)

While Johnson and González joined meetings via Zoom, Republicans in Texas delighted in the news.

By the end of the first week in D.C., the goodwill the Democratic delegation had enjoyed began to sour. On Friday evening, members of the group boarded a charter bus that was to take them from their hotel to an Ethiopian restaurant, as conservative protesters chanted for them to go home and do their jobs. The Democrats’ departure was delayed for about twenty minutes, after which their leaders asked them to head back to the hotel. It turned out that one caucus member, Bobby Guerra, who had returned to Texas for surgery, had tested positive for COVID. All of the Democrats were fully vaccinated—a precondition for participating in the Washington expedition. Ultimately, five other members also tested positive, and while none got very ill, the delta variant had infected their narrative. “Who says God doesn’t have a sense of humor,” Donald Trump Jr. tweeted over an image of the smiling, maskless Texans on their flight to D.C. He added, “#getwellsoon.”

The outbreak also spoiled other plans. On the day the COVID story broke, Sherman was set to speak at the “Good Trouble Candlelight Vigil for Democracy” at Black Lives Matter Plaza, a block from the White House. It was the one-year anniversary of the death of Georgia congressman and civil rights icon John Lewis, and the organizers of the vigil were using the occasion to demand the passage of two pieces of federal voting legislation. “If fighting for the sanctity of democracy is a crime,” Sherman said, joined by a handful of other House Democrats who had also tested negative, “then lock us up.” It was a moving speech. But the plaza was only half full.

The Texas Democrats’ pleas also weren’t reaching Biden, apparently. “We’re almost two weeks here,” Raymond complained during a July 22 caucus meeting over Zoom, “and I don’t know how else to say it, but I’m at the point where I’m pissed off that Joe Biden, our president, is going to use COVID as an excuse not to meet with us, even though all of us in here have tested negative for three days in a row.”

RIchard Raymond was only there to gladhand federal politicians and get his face on camera, that dude loves the sound of his own voice.

quote:

When I talked to Sherman two weeks into the Washington stay, he said the caucus had grown into something more akin to a congregation. Late the day he testified before Congress, Bernal similarly spoke about the unity of the Democrats. “This is one of those things where, no matter what happens to us later in life, we’re gonna see each other and remember this time and be bonded by it.”

But those bonds have already become strained. Members who remained in D.C. felt betrayed by those who’d returned to the floor. Gina Hinojosa, a representative from Austin, tagged those returning four in a tweet, saying that they’d be complicit should Republicans pass a bill. Ana-Maria Ramos, a representative from Dallas County, was more blunt in a tweet of her own: “you all threw us under the bus today! Why?”

Reached by phone Monday evening, Sherman, ever the pastor, offered a biblical metaphor to describe his four colleagues: With the Red Sea in front of them and Pharaoh’s army in pursuit, some of the children of Israel had become delusional with fear, believing they should not have left Egypt. But most members, he said, aren’t ready to cast aside their new roles as emboldened activists. He remains confident their quorum break will be successful, resting his faith on something many activists but few legislators would credit: “the evidence of things not seen.”

That's your answer.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Nonsense posted:

Texas deserves to be like Belgium, nothing more nothing less.

Hellfucked 4 lyf....

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/LinaHidalgoTX/status/1425272633793318913?s=20

You have my sword

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I don't trust Texas courts to see it but Abbott's order banning mask mandates (and really any response whatsoever) is frankly something straight out of Catch-22.

Covid is such a huge emergency that it necessitates invoking emergency powers which I'm using ban local health departments from responding to Covid because it isn't an emergency.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Lol pretty much every big city ISD is giving the bird to Abbott. More and more districts hanging up on him just makes him more and more likely to reveal his secret riddle solution.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Harris gotta catch up to mighty Bexar.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't trust Texas courts to see it but Abbott's order banning mask mandates (and really any response whatsoever) is frankly something straight out of Catch-22.

Covid is such a huge emergency that it necessitates invoking emergency powers which I'm using ban local health departments from responding to Covid because it isn't an emergency.

https://twitter.com/cscudder/status/1425272563006119936

Look, it's in Abbott's interest to slow walk fighting the cities on this, especially since the hope among state leadership is that Delta follows the same arc here that it did in the UK and India, a sharp spike up but also a sharp decline. He knows that masks work, but he'll be thrown to the wolves by Allen West if he implements any mandates. So here he gets to have it both ways, he can glower at those liberal cities who are actually going to help reduce the covid burden, which are both things he wants. If we don't get a final decision on this before the delta wave declines, that suits him just fine.

So let's hope old greg is looking out for number one here.

zoux fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 11, 2021

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

I'd be surprised if even 30% of Texans even know its happening, with the vast majority of those who know already decided in who they'll vote for.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

I'd be surprised if even 30% of Texans even know its happening, with the vast majority of those who know already decided in who they'll vote for.

Hell I lurk this thread and don’t know its happening outside of the bus=\=plane thing.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

Ok fine, what about the second part of my post

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I just want to know why we're supposed to be annoyed/mad that Dems aren't just allowing the GOP to do its regular abhorrent bullshit. Is everyone just that used to the lie that you shouldn't even try if it doesn't seem like you have a sure path to victory?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Marxalot posted:

I just want to know why we're supposed to be annoyed/mad that Dems aren't just allowing the GOP to do its regular abhorrent bullshit. Is everyone just that used to the lie that you shouldn't even try if it doesn't seem like you have a sure path to victory?

:decorum:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well I pointed out that this is deeply unpopular even in democratic leaning swing districts last page I'd expect them to lose some seats over this.

But for me politics isn't about aesthetics, it's about outcomes, so if the outcome is going to be the same either way, I'd prefer it was in a way that didn't cost Democratic seats in the Texas House, didn't result in every single Democratic chairman losing his seat next session and every Democrat removed from leadership right before a much more substantial special session on redistricting, which is going to do way more harm to Dem electoral chances than banning the use of covid mitigation strategies in one county and, idk, letting poll watchers exist more.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 11, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MarkDavis/status/1425455419779125251

That sure doesn't sound like they're going to go to the mattresses over this stuff, does it

Also I didn't know Paxton cared about our constitutional system of government, given that he tried to overturn the presidential election like six months ago. I guess he had a road to Damascus moment.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I'm not sure which would be funnier, Prescott lamely dropping out after it sinks in that he can't occupy either the pro-Trump lane or the anti-Trump lane of the primary, or Prescott sticking with it and coming in 3rd even after Paxton gets hit with a federal indictment

e: actually now that I've typed it out I'm pretty sure the 3rd place scenario would be much funnier

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 11, 2021

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Blotto_Otter posted:

I'm not sure which would be funnier, Prescott lamely dropping out after it sinks in that he can't occupy either the pro-Trump lane or the anti-Trump lane of the primary, or Prescott sticking with it and coming in 3rd even after Paxton gets hit with a federal indictment

e: actually now that I've typed it out I'm pretty sure the 3rd place scenario would be much funnier

Thought this was about Dak for a second and it still pretty much is a salient post.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Chieves posted:

Thought this was about Dak for a second and it still pretty much is a salient post.

posting jokes about Dak is a hippa violation, I would never violate my sworn oath to preserve and defend hippaa

Also, today's reminder of how much Baylor sucks: can't get in trouble with the NCAA for playing favorites and shielding football players from sexual assault investigations if you just shield all your students from sexual assault investigations!

https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1425488377860829188

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

posting jokes about Dak is a hippa violation, I would never violate my sworn oath to preserve and defend hippaa

Also, today's reminder of how much Baylor sucks: can't get in trouble with the NCAA for playing favorites and shielding football players from sexual assault investigations if you just shield all your students from sexual assault investigations!

Can’t wait until the big 12 falls apart and baylor has to go conferenceless

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/GeneforTexas/status/1425500462413922309

Man idk about fundraising off of this

https://twitter.com/JoeWalter/status/1425516566137950215

Also Teddy killed it in DC at 3 am. Apparently the Texas Dems DC endgame was a unanimous consent amendment to the budget resolution. There was not unanimous consent.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 11, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

uhh phelan's signature loving rules

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jaspscherer/status/1425517977747734530

Oh well I guess that's settled then, until this afternoon anyway

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/CarolforTexas/status/1425528821336379394

She just has to make it, what, 26 days? loving Wendy Davis and her loving sneakers.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

finally, a plan!!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Your honor, I should not be punished for drunk driving this time because of all the other times I escaped punishment for drunk driving, furthermore, I do everything else while drunk.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i say swears online posted:

finally, a plan!!

Yeah looks like we found our '22 gubernatorial candidate

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

Your honor, I should not be punished for drunk driving this time because of all the other times I escaped punishment for drunk driving, furthermore, I do everything else while drunk.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1425540338551332876

Well the good news for the Governor here is that testimony on the issue during the regular session, physicians said that literally no one performs reassignment surgery, or indeed any irreversible gender affirming care, on minors.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/CarolforTexas/status/1425528821336379394

She just has to make it, what, 26 days? loving Wendy Davis and her loving sneakers.

Don't worry, she'll be done in 2 hours at most for speaking about things that are not germane to the bill (like talking about individuals that would be affected or voter suppression in general).

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Blotto_Otter posted:

The NCAA is a loving joke.

They might as well have declared open season on women at any power 5 school.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1425540338551332876

Well the good news for the Governor here is that testimony on the issue during the regular session, physicians said that literally no one performs reassignment surgery, or indeed any irreversible gender affirming care, on minors.

They're going to use it to go after puberty blockers - they've already vilified them. And that's what they use now to treat gender dysphoria in minors until they're adults and able to make their own medical decisions.

The best comment I saw was that DFPS is too lovely to reliably investigate claims of child abuse anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oil! posted:

Don't worry, she'll be done in 2 hours at most for speaking about things that are not germane to the bill (like talking about individuals that would be affected or voter suppression in general).

The only reason they gave a poo poo in '13 (?) was because they were up against a midnight deadline. They can let Alvarado talk as long as is humanly possible and it won't matter. They'll let her address an empty chamber for two weeks if they want and come in and pass it the second she collapses.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

The only reason they gave a poo poo in '13 (?) was because they were up against a midnight deadline. They can let Alvarado talk as long as is humanly possible and it won't matter. They'll let her address an empty chamber for two weeks if they want and come in and pass it the second she collapses.

only a weak dem too worried about decorum would be unable to filibuster for ~1.5 years (at the earliest)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

doublepost:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1425542382498504711?s=20

nullification crisis but this time it's about whether you have to wear a mask on the bus