Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

"It's selfish and unrealistic to expect to buy a house"

*literally every rental is 1 bedroom*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

evilpicard posted:

*literally every rental is 1 bedroom*

um, excuse me, some are junior 1 bedroom

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
The new two bedroom apartments that do exist are small as hell too. The second bedroom in the condo we're renting now won't even fit a double or queen bed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I helped design apartments for a while. In all the old pre-war buildings I've mostly lived in a 1br was like 700-800 sqft and a 2br 900-1000 because they had fairly spacious rooms. Now you've got 1br's closer to 500-600 with tiny 10x9 bedrooms. And 2br apartments are 700-800 with every room cramped and the 2nd bedroom something insane like 7x10 maybe with no window and a frosted glass sliding door. They are not at all designed for families, the 2nd "bedroom" is always supposed to be a little office or something.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

2 bedrooms these days are just 1 bdrms with a divider or some adhoc dryhall shoehorned in there to make it 'technically' two bedrooms.

1 bedrooms are just studios with frosted glass.

Case in point: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=Un71PmMVLWn

On the market for over a year at this point, marketed as a 1 bedroom for 565k. Also if you want to laugh even more, you'll notice the dishwasher cannot open fully thanks to that ledge at the door.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Yeah I can't believe builders are able to get away with calling rooms with no windows except a loving glass door bedrooms.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

linoleum floors posted:

Yeah I can't believe builders are able to get away with calling rooms with no windows except a loving glass door bedrooms.

They can’t unless it has a sprinkler.

Or they use quotes around it in the ad

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
yeah that makes it better

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Just as well my current apartment has two sprinklers in the living room. I could be sub-leasing this out to a family.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I do remember viewing a basement suite back in 2017 and the guy literally did turn every available space in the apartment into a bedroom. Like there was no lounge, just 5 bedrooms in what looked like a 800sqft apartment. Almost certainly it wasn't legal.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It loving owns that the only way to have 2 offices and a bedroom. when both people work from home is to rent half a duplex from amateur landlords who double as Canada's worst handyman and then kick you out right at 12 months when their family situation changes. 3 times in 3 years.

My partner and I make almost 200k and we have yet to live somewhere that can fill regular sized furniture and appliances.

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 12, 2021

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

linoleum floors posted:

Why do you hate density? Obviously you are the reason why housing is unaffordable.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

"you see we need to be looking at Japanese zoning as the solution to our problems. They have very affordable housing!"

(1 bedroom apt is sub 250 sqft)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You only need a counter with a microwave on top to make instant ramen everyday :cmon:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

evilpicard posted:

My partner and I make almost 200k and we have yet to live somewhere that can fill regular sized furniture and appliances.

This is why housing sucks so much in big Canadian cities, and BC in particular: even if you make an income commensurate with housing prices, what you get is generally shittier than what you'd get in a lot of other countries/cities, even if on paper it's got the same amenities.

A good example of this is the basement suite, which on paper might look like any other 1-2 bedroom apartment, but in reality is generally way worse than living in a ground floor or second floor apartment with, you know, actual light and air flow. I live in Scotland and was talking to one of my neighbours who told me that her sister lives in Vancouver (pretty much every conversation with a Scottish person begins with A) them asking me if I'm American, and me saying that no, I'm Canadian, B) them apologizing for calling me American, and C) them talking about their sibling/uncle/cousin who lives in Canada) and she said that she was shocked when she visited to learn that her sister lived in a basement, since subterranean suites are rare in most of the UK. Similarly, outside of London it's just not acceptable here to have tiny offices listed as bedrooms in rental units, or to have bedrooms barely bigger than a bed. And yet, in Victoria and other mid-sized cities with decent economies that kind of thing is just expected as a renter.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 12, 2021

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

evilpicard posted:

It loving owns that the only way to have 2 offices and a bedroom. when both people work from home is to rent half a duplex from amateur landlords who double as Canada's worst handyman and then kick you out right at 12 months when their family situation changes. 3 times in 3 years.

Haha yeah, I'd have to double-check but I'm pretty sure we combined for decently over 200k last year.

We were living in a relatively massive 1300 sq. ft. 2-bedroom rental in False Creek but the rent was quickly getting out of hand.
We looked for months in Vancouver, going further and further east. Aging small condo in Burnaby for 600+, to a cat-pee smoked-in garbage dump in new west for 600, suburban hell living Coquitlam. It took us a bit to come to terms with it but we eventually just said "gently caress this poo poo" and moved to Ottawa last year.

1500 sq ft semi-detached in an excellent location for our wants and needs for 550k. It's 160 years old but in relatively great shape, no weird old wiring or plumbing or anything.
The crazy thing is this place would probably now sell for 50k more than we paid. We made it to Ottawa just in time as prices are going nuclear here also.

I don't know how other people in our age cohort or younger are supposed to do this.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Fidelitious posted:

I don't know how other people in our age cohort or younger are supposed to do this.

I don't think they are. The ladder's been kicked out.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Try to bring up the issue to a lot of people and they'll just blindly state "just move" as if this hasn't impacted literally every town in Ontario.
The only reason why I would "just move" is to get away from idiots who think a micro solution of "just move" would solve the macro problem that is housing affordability of the GTAHKWCBGADTLA (Greater Toronto Area Hamilton Kitchencer Cambridge Brantford Guelph Adjacent Down To London Area)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
I did "just move" - turns out being isolated from my friends and family hurt our mental health, being isolated from Toronto hurt my career (it was only an option in the first place b/c my partner works from home full time already), and being dependent on cars has hurt our physical health. :toot:

And that was just moving to Hamilton from Toronto.

Not that it matters anymore, COVID got us used to isolation and working from home even after moving to Mississauga to be closer to friends, family, and jobs again. vOv

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Fidelitious posted:

They're not and they never will. We make similar money to you guys and only have a house in Victoria because of parental help. I try not to mention it in front of ninety percent of our friends in their thirties because they're a couple of paycheques (or CERB ending) away from being unable to pay rent. Many of them can only afford the places they're in because of rent increase limits and would be hosed if they got evicted. When a whole generation without savings or pensions retires, things are going to get ugly fast.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Cold on a Cob posted:

I don't think they are. The ladder's been kicked out.

Yeah I abandoned any notion of home ownership after 2010. I could have saved my money but I thought the housing market would crash so I spent (wasted) my money on leisure activities and late-bloomer related partying.
Barring a major decrease in real estate prices I'm dependent entirely on inheriting my parents' freehold townhouse. My partner has a house because she got one 5 years ago but who knows if we'll be staying together long term. Plus I really like where I live now and it's kind of hard to give up life in York Region given how much you get in amenities when you're living rent-free. I could be making 150k per year and the idea of tying myself up to a mortgage on a 700k crackshack fixer-upper there I'll have to do most of the home improvement myself to make it livable sounds like a really bad time. It's a drat shame there' so much societal expectation to get married, have children and live in a detached house because I don't think that kind of life is sustainable even if real-estate was cheap (due to climate change). At the same time as I get older and start having less years between now and 60 versus now and my birth I contemplate if I'm going to deeply regret putting off having children or not having children at all. By the time I hit advanced age I'll be old and busted, a lot of my friends might be dead and there won't be anyone left to give a poo poo about me so at that point I could see myself deeply regretting not having children.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 12, 2021

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

large hands posted:

When a whole generation without savings or pensions retires, things are going to get ugly fast.

I mean, by that point everyone is going to have far larger problems anyway

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I'm also in the "should be able to buy but has no way to go about it" group now, and that's with the option for significant help from my parents. The number of people getting left behind is growing bigger very quickly, and we are very frustrated because the greed of others is actively making it impossible to find suitable housing. There's a real chance that my girlfriend/future fiancee won't be able to actually find a "next home" for us and all our kids to live in. Those homes are well out of our reach to buy, even with a lot of help. They are also nearly out of reach to rent, despite us having very solid incomes and lots of stability. We can't move out of the region either because the kids other parents live here, so we are stuck.

The future outlook is pretty bleak right now and we are both very frustrated by the situation, in particular because of the obvious greed. It just feels like everyone is cheating and that the government has no interest whatsoever in making sure people play fair so long as "number go up."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
28 years old. Gave up on owning a house a few years ago when I was still part time. Fulltime now and it's too late because everything has jumped in price. I'll stake my claim on an abandoned office tower following The Great Dying and the Glorious Revolution but otherwise I'm resigned to living in basement apartments with two other guys, nevermind finding an affordable bachelor apartment.

Adam Vaughan can go play in traffic on the 401.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Have any of you thought about moving to the USA at this point? housing prices are up but not nearly what it is in canada I think.

Whats going on in Canada honestly looks... worse? than the 2000~s housing bubble.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

AtomikKrab posted:

Have any of you thought about moving to the USA at this point? housing prices are up but not nearly what it is in canada I think.

Whats going on in Canada honestly looks... worse? than the 2000~s housing bubble.

It's crossed my mind a few times but the last decade has really made me unwilling to cross the border much less move there. I used to hear about it all the time how life in Texas was cheap and you could rent a spacious 1 BR apartment in Dallas for $800 per month, make more money and pay less income tax. Then the deep freeze hit in 2021 and now those people are suspiciously quiet.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 12, 2021

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Kraftwerk posted:

It's crossed my mind a few times but the last decade has really made me unwilling to cross the border much less move there. I used to hear about it all the time how life in Texas was cheap and you could rent a spacious 1 BR apartment in Dallas for $800 per month, make more money and pay less income tax. Then the deep freeze hit in 2021 and now those people are suspiciously quiet.

You wouldn't need to go down to Texas, you can find apartments for that range throughout most of the USA as long as you are not in the heavily urban areas. Even in my area in Maryland which is quite frankly more expensive unless you insist on living in the downtown areas you are looking at between 950 for a studio and maybe 1400 for a 2BR (and a two br in Maryland is seriously two bedrooms)

Descend to slumber
May 12, 2001

AtomikKrab posted:

You wouldn't need to go down to Texas, you can find apartments for that range throughout most of the USA as long as you are not in the heavily urban areas. Even in my area in Maryland which is quite frankly more expensive unless you insist on living in the downtown areas you are looking at between 950 for a studio and maybe 1400 for a 2BR (and a two br in Maryland is seriously two bedrooms)

Is there some secret method other Canadians have that lets them just live in the US somehow? Like you're not allowed to just stay there for as long as you like, and they definitely don't want you getting a job there unless it's a really extra special one.

I have wondered all my life how people seem to manage to just move to other countries and then live there when the majority of those countries don't seem to want people moving in?

Like I have one friend that moved to the US and stayed and it's because they married an American.

Descend to slumber fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 13, 2021

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If you’re moving there to work, you need a special skill that you can get a NAFTA TN visa for, that’s by far the easiest way. It’s not a permanent solution however and needs to be renewed each year, and you can be suddenly denied if the border officer is having a bad day and thinks you’re trying to use it defacto as permanent. Usually people once in on the TN will get their employer to start filing H1b applications to switch them over, and eventually green card. I have no idea though how it works if your intent is not to work, you’d probably have to invest a lot of money in a business somehow.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
As a Canadian who lived in the US for several years while doing my PhD, it can be better — your quality of life and real estate prices of course entirely depend on where you live — but the headache of dealing with health care, immigration, and various other lovely aspects of everyday life is incredibly taxing. You would seriously need to consider all the cons of wherever you end up before moving.

Though, of course, being able to move there entirely depends on whether you have a very specific skill set and/or a job offer from a US-based company in the first place.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I won’t be surprised to see a ton of fraud once this whole thing goes sideways. There’s simply not enough money around to justify the prices. Someone somewhere is cheating the system hard and when the music stops(if it ever stops) the amount of fraud they find is going to be staggering.

I’m guessing there’s a lot more people out there who are heavily over leveraged than lenders really know and that lending standards at the alternative lenders in particular have been atrociously poor for a while now. I’m so confident that this stuff is shady that I fired the financial advisor who was pushing my holdings into private mortgage bonds and equities. That poo poo is going to be the first stuff to blow up when/if things go bad and I’m willing to bet it’s far more toxic than anyone has been willing to admit.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Private equities are a scam. The fees are super high and they are way riskier than the stock market. Don’t touch them with a barge pole.

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Seeing more and more land for sale that is basically conservation protected on realtor.ca You pay for the land but cannot build on it. Here's one from Burlington: https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/23476535/1412-hidden-valley-road-burlington

What would be the point of buying this? Could you at least put a road in, then have a camper to "live" there? Only thing I can think of is to buy the land, then donate it to the Conservation Authority and get a tax deduction for the value...

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

People got suckered into buying and are trying to unload it on the next sucker for a profit.

Or its money laundering.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Descend to slumber posted:

Is there some secret method other Canadians have that lets them just live in the US somehow? Like you're not allowed to just stay there for as long as you like, and they definitely don't want you getting a job there unless it's a really extra special one.

You can live in the US up to 6 months a year without a visa, if you really want to. Hell, rich snowbirds were flying down to Florida semi-regularly even last year.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Number19 posted:

I won’t be surprised to see a ton of fraud once this whole thing goes sideways. There’s simply not enough money around to justify the prices. Someone somewhere is cheating the system hard and when the music stops(if it ever stops) the amount of fraud they find is going to be staggering.

I’m guessing there’s a lot more people out there who are heavily over leveraged than lenders really know and that lending standards at the alternative lenders in particular have been atrociously poor for a while now. I’m so confident that this stuff is shady that I fired the financial advisor who was pushing my holdings into private mortgage bonds and equities. That poo poo is going to be the first stuff to blow up when/if things go bad and I’m willing to bet it’s far more toxic than anyone has been willing to admit.

Under the BC Libs, the BC housing market was incredibly sketchy with jaw dropping amounts of money being laundered through it

it still is sketchy, just people can't be as blatant about it now

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Alctel posted:

Under the BC Libs, the BC housing market was incredibly sketchy with jaw dropping amounts of money being laundered through it

it still is sketchy, just people can't be as blatant about it now

I’m pretty sure the laundry is still running, but the methods have just moved to whatever they’re able to do to avoid scrutiny

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

ARTPUP posted:

Seeing more and more land for sale that is basically conservation protected on realtor.ca You pay for the land but cannot build on it. Here's one from Burlington: https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/23476535/1412-hidden-valley-road-burlington

What would be the point of buying this? Could you at least put a road in, then have a camper to "live" there? Only thing I can think of is to buy the land, then donate it to the Conservation Authority and get a tax deduction for the value...

The dirty truth?

People are future-betting that some kinds of protected lands (eg wetlands) will stop being worth conserving because of climate change (eg drying out) and will instead become arable.

I know someone who just did this in Merrickville with a wetland parcel that abuts their farm and while two years ago I thought they were dumb.... I'm less certain of that now.

Number19 posted:

I’m pretty sure the laundry is still running, but the methods have just moved to whatever they’re able to do to avoid scrutiny

(Ron Howard voice) That thing was Bitcoin

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A lot of wealthy and connected speculators also are betting on them being able to use their political connections to unprotect some lands in the future. The sort of folks just waiting for the BCLibs to get back in power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

ARTPUP posted:

Here's the end game: