Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
He showed up to not be fined. Under the CBA holdout fines cannot be waived anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Ah still the fact no one is really talking about it and are kind of just treating exactly like the Rodgers situation isn’t a good sign

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

This means it's time for the team to nut up and suspend him

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1419624984721477633

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

gently caress this stupid sport

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Done their homework what homework.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

"Can we take the PR hit and what is our plan for doing so"

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Nothing more fun than the cost benefit analysis consisting of "can I hire a sex pest to win this year & keep my job?"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It’s the NFL so god knows they might have a source in the PD and DA’s office feeding them poo poo.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

hey now they might've hired a lawyer to half assed look into it, had their PR team prep for the shitstorm and found some local sex workers that they hope will keep him less rapey.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I imagine it’s gotta be quite a bit of private investigation but not sure what else they could do there. Hiring attorneys won’t do anything really besides give answers they likely already know that’s useless due to the variables we don’t

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I would think it's still a huge gamble to trade a series of 1st for Watson. All it takes is for one of those many allegations to actually go to court and pan out and you're hosed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I would think it's still a huge gamble to trade a series of 1st for Watson. All it takes is for one of those many allegations to actually go to court and pan out and you're hosed.

When your job isn't guaranteed tomorrow, most GMs will absolutely dump the assets needed for a top 5 QB. If he gets thrown in jail in 2 years, it'll be the next GM's problem.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Some new info. More complaints were filed with the Houston Police. Two of the complaints are new women who weren't part of the 22 civil lawsuits.

https://twitter.com/JohnBarrESPN/status/1419752095176175622?s=20

quote:

Ten women have now filed complaints with Houston police about Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson, according to Watson's attorney, Rusty Hardin.

Hardin spoke with ESPN Monday about the progress of both the criminal and civil cases involving his client.

"There are ten women that have made complaints to the [Houston] police," Hardin said.

Eight of the women, according to Hardin, are among the 22 women who have alleged in civil lawsuits that Watson sexually assaulted them or engaged in sexually inappropriate behavior during massage sessions.

Two of the women who have filed complaints with Houston police, Hardin said, have not filed civil lawsuits against Watson.

"There are a couple of women who we don't know anything about," Hardin said.

Hardin acknowledged knowing the names of the ten women who have filed criminal complaints, including the two who are not involved in civil litigation, but declined to provide those names to ESPN.

Houston police would not comment when reached Monday on either the investigation or the number of women who have filed complaints.

Hardin said Watson and his legal team have fully cooperated with both Houston police and the Harris County District Attorney's office.

"We're dealing with both of them, providing them information," Hardin said.

"We're fully cooperating with the police. We're fully cooperating with the District Attorney's office and, when the criminal investigation is over we'll fully cooperate with the NFL."

Investigators with the NFL have yet to interview Watson, which is typical, Hardin said, in an ongoing criminal matter.

"We've made it clear to the NFL that we'll totally cooperate with them when they're ready to visit with us. But they, out of deference to the criminal investigation, always try to wait until that's completed before they try to talk to the accused person."

In a statement released to ESPN Monday, Houston attorney Tony Buzbee, who represents the 22 women suing Watson, said he and his legal team continue to handle "22 civil cases that make very serious and specific allegations."

"As of today, almost half of these women have given sworn statements to the police, and almost half have spoken to the NFL's investigative team. Both processes are very lengthy. We expect to provide further information to the NFL from all victims," Buzbee said.

With respect to the pending civil lawsuits, Hardin said that while both sides have exchanged documents, they have yet to schedule depositions for the 22 women. Under an agreement between the legal teams, depositions for the plaintiffs will begin in September. Watson won't be deposed until February of next year.

"It is really going the normal course of all civil litigation," Hardin said of the depositions. "The dates haven't been set as of yet, the exact dates as to who would go when. But they'll start in September."

If Watson were to reach a settlement with any or all of the women who are suing him, Hardin reiterated his desire to make any settlement public and said Watson would not sign any settlement that includes a confidentiality agreement.

"I do not want anybody to be saying that this guy paid off women to stay quiet and so, if there ever was a settlement of any kind, it would have to be public and therefore both sides, [Watson] and the women, would be able to say to the world at large whatever they wanted."

Hardin acknowledged Monday that he is not involved in any way in the decision-making process with respect to Watson's football future.

The embattled Texans quarterback has been the subject of trade rumors for months, even before the off-the-field legal battles that consumed his off-season.

"Teams are ready to jump now if the Texans would trade with them, even while all this is pending," Hardin said. "There's no question that teams, numerous teams, are still interested. The ball is in the Texans' court."

"As far as Watson's football career," Buzbee told ESPN, "I'm not focused on whether Watson will play; I'm instead focused on the welfare of the women he had contact with and aggressively pursuing their cases in court."

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

When your job isn't guaranteed tomorrow, most GMs will absolutely dump the assets needed for a top 5 QB. If he gets thrown in jail in 2 years, it'll be the next GM's problem.

Trading 3+ 1st is something you have to have the owner completely on board for. That is a franchise altering move, it's not cutting Randy Moss because he complained about the catering.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Kind of amazing that we’re discussing the football future of a QB that is climbing at 0.34 Cosbys

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If any team is batshit insane enough to trade multiple firsts I hope they do it and then get what they deserve by Watson’s case having enough evidence to go to trial. And then have fun with that nightmare.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

GD_American posted:

Kind of amazing that we’re discussing the football future of a QB that is climbing at 0.34 Cosbys

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If any team is batshit insane enough to trade multiple firsts I hope they do it and then get what they deserve by Watson’s case having enough evidence to go to trial. And then have fun with that nightmare.

And in typical Cosby fashion the case will be thrown out on a technicality & we're all stuck feeling even worse over the whole ordeal.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It’d be drat nice if justice was actually served here. poo poo like this really gets you thinking about how much poo poo happens in the world and how you can’t focus on it because phew there’s some tragedy committed on an hourly basis… but man a win or two would be dope. A guy like Watson actually paying for his actions… that’d be a large one

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

It’d be drat nice if justice was actually served here. poo poo like this really gets you thinking about how much poo poo happens in the world and how you can’t focus on it because phew there’s some tragedy committed on an hourly basis… but man a win or two would be dope. A guy like Watson actually paying for his actions… that’d be a large one

Pass the Dutchie 'pon de left hand side, mon!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Phew should’ve been “justice were”

Dammit DAMMIT

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Feels like if teams knowingly trade for someone with multiple outstanding rape allegations against him then Kaepernick should sue the league again for coercion, but I'm sure that's not how things actually work.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Kaepernick will never win a collusion case because you'll never be able to prove the NFL's owners didn't all individually come to the conclusion he wasn't worth the trouble unless they were stupid enough to write it down somewhere and nothing that happens to, with or around Watson will change that

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Kaep already settled with the league. The terms are obviously secret but I’d be astonished if he had grounds to sue again.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
It's more a bitter joke than anything, I know that isn't really possible.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

fast cars loose anus posted:

Kaepernick will never win a collusion case because you'll never be able to prove the NFL's owners didn't all individually come to the conclusion he wasn't worth the trouble unless they were stupid enough to write it down somewhere and nothing that happens to, with or around Watson will change that

All it takes for this to be torn down is one team inviting him for a try out and going "Well he just didn't impress us" really.

Collusion without explicit evidence is pretty much impossible to prove yeah.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/sarahbarshop/status/1425538145903423493

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
...just...suspend him? Cut him? If you have any deals on the table at all take what you can get in a trade?

This doesn't do anything for either of you.

It is funny to think of Watson playing with the scrubs at the rear end end of a preseason game I guess.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Grittybeard posted:

...just...suspend him? Cut him? If you have any deals on the table at all take what you can get in a trade?

This doesn't do anything for either of you.

I think they're hoping that Watson gets closer to some kind of resolution with all the cases, which would increase his trade value.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The Texans desperately need whatever Watson gets them in trade

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I'm more upset that Jeff Driskel is 2nd

It's a lost season. Start Davis Mills unless he's like, deer in headlights Nathan Peterman not ready, and if he stays that way all year cut the lot of them and draft three QBs next year

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Is having every rookie be third and fourth stringers a developmental strategy or are they that much worse than the first and second stringers

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chucktesla posted:

Is having every rookie be third and fourth stringers a developmental strategy or are they that much worse than the first and second stringers

Mostly it's a job foisted on an intern with maybe specific instructions (re: Watson), but yeah, stick the rookies at the end and make 'em earn it, sure.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

They should stop dicking around and throw Davis Mills out there. Screw it that's the plan and he's got connections to Pep.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Based on that depth chart I think it will be very smart for the Texans to run the football and not try to do much else.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

It might also be because he isn't traveling with the team to their first pre-season game.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

This is all a staring contest between the Texans and the NFL. Neither wants to be financially liable for the fallout of making him not play.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lol if this ends up tying back to the Easterby fiasco and Goodell not wanting to look like he's giving the Texans a hand.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Can't wait for whatever team he ends up ons fans to start doing mental gymnastics as to why it's a good thing and the allegations aren't really that bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Can't wait for whatever team he ends up ons fans to start doing mental gymnastics as to why it's a good thing and the allegations aren't really that bad

Listen we’ve all shown our dicks to a masseuse before, right? And let’s not forget, in the Bible… (1/28)