Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

eh, add like an extra 0 to that 60.

but also that's a pretty beat up box even though there's like zero reason to counterfeit fallen empires packs.

edit: fallen empires are probably unsearchable so yeah maybe sell it by the pack.. might net you more but take you longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

shows what I know. stupid reserve list.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Strong Sauce posted:

eh, add like an extra 0 to that 60.

but also that's a pretty beat up box even though there's like zero reason to counterfeit fallen empires packs.

edit: fallen empires are probably unsearchable so yeah maybe sell it by the pack.. might net you more but take you longer

I think they still use the semi-transparent early pack design. There's nothing of (notable) value in fallen empires though, the value here is in the collectability of the box / packs themselves.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Is there anywhere that shows the current reserve list with the current prices?

Something like Dawnglare's visualizer would be awesome, but I can't seem to find anything that just has the reserved list as a collection to query on. Individually going through the reserved list to be like "I think I remember that card" is just a pain in the rear end.

Just found out Vesuvan Doppleganger is on the list, and apparently she's like $50. Took the old copies I have out of the long box and sleeved them so they don't get worse!

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Something like Dawnglare's visualizer would be awesome, but I can't seem to find anything that just has the reserved list as a collection to query on. Individually going through the reserved list to be like "I think I remember that card" is just a pain in the rear end.

Just found out Vesuvan Doppleganger is on the list, and apparently she's like $50. Took the old copies I have out of the long box and sleeved them so they don't get worse!

https://www.mtgstocks.com/lists/1

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Awesome, thank you so much!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Framboise posted:

You could always spec on the reserve list cards in the set I guess.

And become part of the shadowy cabal that scares WOTC into keeping the list around, because WOTC has a vested interest in keeping Leering Gargoyle at around a buck fifty.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Scryfall has a lot of powerful search features, including sorting by price and whether something is RL.

https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=usd&q=is%3Areserved

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

And become part of the shadowy cabal that scares WOTC into keeping the list around, because WOTC has a vested interest in keeping Leering Gargoyle at around a buck fifty.

I was just suggesting what would give the most potential value on cards that are in very low demand otherwise :v

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Every time a slabbed RL card gets sold, i'll proxy another Tabernacle

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Silhouette posted:

Every time a slabbed RL card gets sold, i'll proxy another Tabernacle

I'm going to be buying one in September or October. Maybe sod's law will mean they'll reprint the reserved list right after. (Do it wizards, I don't care about "investment")

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I know this has been hashed out a thousand times, but I still can't figure out why they won't break the reserve list. I don't know anyone IRL who defends it anymore, and at this point if you told me that the only person who could make the decision was sitting on a binder full of black lotus' as his retirement plan I would believe you.

Is it just that they don't feel like they need to, till the game is doing worse financially instead of breaking records?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Because Wizards gets money by selling new cards - Legacy and Vintage are quite intentionally being left to wither, and Modern is being transformed into a much more aggressively cycling format with brand new chase cards for it being printed frequently. Reprinting old cards means they're actually competing with the secondary market for those sales, not to mention that fancy new art treatments don't carry quite as much of a premium when "the original" is still out there commanding an even higher one.

If their current scheme stops working and they need to try something new then they might go back to the reserved list well, but probably not until then.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Chakan posted:

I know this has been hashed out a thousand times, but I still can't figure out why they won't break the reserve list. I don't know anyone IRL who defends it anymore, and at this point if you told me that the only person who could make the decision was sitting on a binder full of black lotus' as his retirement plan I would believe you.

Is it just that they don't feel like they need to, till the game is doing worse financially instead of breaking records?

Because having high-end cards makes the $50-$200 cards seam reasonable by comparison. People daydream about finding an old set of cards for sale at a flea market, wistfully regret not buying more magic cards when they were younger.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I know I'm an absolute sucker over here but having just gotten back into Magic over the last few months man do I love the "showcase" treatments they've done in a lot of these more recent sets. The constellation looking ones (Theros I think?), the fairy tale ones in Eldraine, the metal as gently caress Kaldheim ones and the Strixhaven mystic archive are all just really beautiful. Excited to see what Midnight Hunt looks like.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chakan posted:

Because Legacy and Vintage just aren't really on their radar as something they need to support all that much and they aren't huge moneymakers so it's really not worth any potential backlash.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Framboise posted:

The Fallen Empires boxes on tcgplayer are 900+. Which is saying a lot when the most expensive card in the set is like under 10 bux and not really in demand anywhere.

You could always spec on the reserve list cards in the set I guess.

What the gently caress, did they bury a bunch of boxes in the desert or something?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bell_ posted:

What the gently caress, did they bury a bunch of boxes in the desert or something?

27 year old sealed boxes are a rarity in and of themselves. Unless you feel like gambling on pulling power no one should be opening vintage packs for the cards inside. (Also it's easy to list, they have to actually sell first to matter.)

mikeraskol posted:

I know I'm an absolute sucker over here but having just gotten back into Magic over the last few months man do I love the "showcase" treatments they've done in a lot of these more recent sets. The constellation looking ones (Theros I think?), the fairy tale ones in Eldraine, the metal as gently caress Kaldheim ones and the Strixhaven mystic archive are all just really beautiful. Excited to see what Midnight Hunt looks like.

I think they're actually pretty popular, they're just contemporaneous with a lot of unpopular business decisions, among which collectors boosters are closely linked to the treatments.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I think it would be neat if they brought back the "future shifted" borders from Future Sight for showcase style. They managed to make even vanilla creatures look cool.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

mikeraskol posted:

Yes I love the art direction of late. Well not really Ikoria or Kaldheim or Zendikar, although with some truly jawdropping exceptions. And the Innistrad leaks have better art than Eldraine, Theros, Strix, and D&D too!! Ah, I love the Innistrad art it's amazing so far. I think the alternate art cards for it are really going to be knocked out of the park.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
The Japanese Strixhaven mystical archives are some of the most gorgeous magic cards ever made. I love that they have been open to new designs.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Because Legacy and Vintage just aren't really on their radar as something they need to support all that much and they aren't huge moneymakers so it's really not worth any potential backlash.

For the past few years I've felt like they're really missing the opportunity to do premium drafting sets similar to the MTGO cubes for legacy and vintage. Even if they were board game style instead of being able to play them in other decks

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Framboise posted:

The Japanese Strixhaven mystical archives are some of the most gorgeous magic cards ever made. I love that they have been open to new designs.

They are gorgeous. But I do prefer the equally gorgeous English language ones.
Edit: Oh gosh nevermind I like them equally. Look at this:

Fake Edit 2: No no the Japanese ones are better, yes.

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 12, 2021

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I don't know how to explain this but the art design of the English-language Mystical Archive cards looks exactly what I imagine a scroll documenting/memorializing a spell in a big old spell archive library would look like. It just works for me and is so goddamn cool.

Counterspell, Demonic Tutor, Mind's Desire, Negate, Time Warp all look incredible.

The Japanese version of the cards look better as just cards but don't fit the concept as well in my mind.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 12, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chakan posted:

Why bother? Game is growing, making money hand over fist. There's a non-zero amount of risk involved with breaking the reserved list so why take it?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

For the past few years I've felt like they're really missing the opportunity to do premium drafting sets similar to the MTGO cubes for legacy and vintage. Even if they were board game style instead of being able to play them in other decks

That's what Mystery Booster, Time Spiral Remastered and Jump/Start are, except they bungled MB and TSP by underprinting them and JMP is unbalanced as hell because we all wished for cool draft sets and the monkey's paw flipped us off

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

Why bother? Game is growing, making money hand over fist. There's a non-zero amount of risk involved with breaking the reserved list so why take it?
Plus they're increasingly focusing on digital, where the list doesn't even apply.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I will die on the hill of the English and Japanese MA versions each having some cards that are better but it's hard to tell sometimes because the Japanese MA frame is so much better.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Silhouette posted:

That's what Mystery Booster, Time Spiral Remastered and Jump/Start are, except they bungled MB and TSP by underprinting them and JMP is unbalanced as hell because we all wished for cool draft sets and the monkey's paw flipped us off

For sure, but they don't include the cards that make vintage and legacy cube fun because they either can't be printed or have "high collectible value"

Basically just give me a vintage cube I can buy and play in person you cowards!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Also this right here is the reason, nothing more, nothing less.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
man, remember time spiral remastered? what a memorable set, with all 30 booster boxes they produced

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
in my day we just drafted the actual block :smaug:

One thing I learned is flesh and blood intends to keep all sealed product permanently in print. imagine if you could get any amount of sealed boxes of any mainline set at msrp? I'd be drafting eventide every month!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

why would they remove reserve list. they are making money printing new cards already whereas "un"-reserving the list seems like a huge legal liability.

so you're hasbro what would you like to do?

1> continue printing money by generating new sets, release secret lairs, promoting online play.
2> announce you will be removing reserve list, get sued and fight a legal battle that will drain your resources while it winds its way through the court which may or may not disrupt your stock price. and even assuming they win, then what? they just have a whole bunch of angry people to reprint a narrow subset of the RL anyways.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

One thing I learned is flesh and blood intends to keep all sealed product permanently in print. imagine if you could get any amount of sealed boxes of any mainline set at msrp? I'd be drafting eventide every month!

i think they said they will maintain a consistent run of a set but they will eventually retire it... i don't think they have the resources to continue printing WTR unlimited especially since they'd probably generate more excitement with newer sets with reprints.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 12, 2021

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I'm curious how long that can hold up at retail though.

They do have their 'Cold Foil' first release sets too.

Strong Sauce posted:

why would they remove reserve list. they are making money printing new cards already whereas "un"-reserving the list seems like a huge legal liability.

1> continue printing money by generating new sets, release secret lairs, promoting online play.
2> announce you will be removing reserve list, get sued and fight a legal battle that will drain your resources while it winds its way through the court which may or may not disrupt your stock price. and even assuming they win, then what? they just have a whole bunch of angry people to reprint a narrow subset of the RL anyways.

How did they end up 'getting around' the reserve list with Karn and the Secret Lair anyway? I read somewhere that they had a loophole that they used with that printing which they later amended?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Strong Sauce posted:

seems like a huge legal liability.
lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The legality issue would be a total wet fart. They would make the news, a small amount of weirdos would sue, nothing would come of it and the game would be better for it.

Imagine what a pack of legacy masters could sell for. Imagine how big of an audience wants those cards and what they would pay for them. Imagine the japanese alt art version of tropical island. It would be more than worth it for both wotc and the customer base.

Your beta tropical island would actually GO UP in value.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
interesting idea, but i think once you get near 30 years if sets it gets kind of impractical. idk what the release schedule looks like for that game but i cant imagine stores would be hype on being expected to carry even the last 5 years of sets, even just one booster box each

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

Strong Sauce posted:

Yeah, most of the RL cards are either insanely overpowered (P9, duals etc.) or total poo poo (everything else), so what would the market even be since roughly none of the cards are Standard-viable? Sure, people would buy the good stuff for their commander decks or cubes or whatever, but just once and then that's it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

Sure, people would buy the good stuff for their commander decks or cubes or whatever, but just once and then that's it.

I think you are underestimating that market by a factor of infinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Drowning Rabbit posted:

How did they end up 'getting around' the reserve list with Karn and the Secret Lair anyway? I read somewhere that they had a loophole that they used with that printing which they later amended?

Foils weren't covered by the reserve list until people got mad at, I want to say it was phyrexian obliterator that did it, so they made it include foils too.