Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I know it's been said there were anti-maskers and I believe even protests during the Flu Pandemic of 1918, but were there incidents of random anti-maskers threatening to murder doctors for suggesting people wear masks? Were there entire cottage industries springing up of selling fake masks to anti-maskers so that they could spite people who took the pandemic seriously?

I forget which thread this was posted in -

quote:

Smallpox inoculation was discouraged in many of the colonies, including Virginia, when Jefferson traveled to Philadelphia at age 23 to undergo inoculation. When the procedure was brought to Norfolk County, Virginia, in 1768 and again in 1769, it provoked riots on both occasions. Jefferson, then practicing law, became involved when he agreed to defend victims of the Norfolk riots, including Dr. Archibald Campbell, whose house had been burned as a result of the inoculations carried out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

one of my fave parallels between covid and the spanish flu is how there was a conspiracy theory that it was german pharma companies intentionally poisoning their medicine :tinfoil:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I know it's been said there were anti-maskers and I believe even protests during the Flu Pandemic of 1918, but were there incidents of random anti-maskers threatening to murder doctors for suggesting people wear masks? Were there entire cottage industries springing up of selling fake masks to anti-maskers so that they could spite people who took the pandemic seriously?

Yes. Humans fundamentally haven't changed and our generational memories only seem to span maybe 80 years. It's why we keep doing the same stupid poo poo every century or so.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Crackbone posted:

Yes. Humans fundamentally haven't changed and our generational memories only seem to span maybe 80 years. It's why we keep doing the same stupid poo poo every century or so.

Nobody learns no nothing from no history

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Also a century of medical science has passed since the Spanish flu epidemic. Including our entire understanding of molecular genetics. We have high resolution electron micrographs of the viruses. But we still go through the same riots quackery and the rest.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

maybe stop vilifying regular people by strawmanning them into insane conspiracy theorists and you won't feel so worked up? this guy has justifiable concerns about government coercion and control on a topic that is extremely politicized and he's right to draw parallels to 9/11 as an american. there are a lot of people like this who aren't 100% gung ho on board with the belief that their government has purely good intentions and won't exploit disasters to further entrench power. that doesn't make them anti-vaxxers or a "5G juice" lunatics or whatever, and it's disingenuous to paint them as such

(yes i am fully vaxxed and i did so as early as possible with full enthusiasm)

When my employer sent out an email telling everyone that they have to wash their hands after using the bathroom I started screaming at the top of my lungs "THIS IS JUST LIKE 9/11"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Well, why can't I just poo poo ANYWHERE I want?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

liz posted:

When you say vaccinated “early” how early are we talking? Jan/Feb? I got my second shot March 8th and I’m wondering if I’m coming up on my immunity waning zone of 6 months…

Jan/Feb. I got vaccinated at the same time so I'm basically treating myself as unvaccinated, for the sake of protecting others at least.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1424883232349294596?s=20

https://twitter.com/Hannibalsbot/status/1424893865539031040?s=20

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

peer pressure making a positive comeback in a big way

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's not like it ever went away, America's big anti-smoking campaign used peer pressure and taxation to effect a positive change for multiple generations of young people. Peer pressure has never been an intrinsically bad thing

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Happens in south america too, this guy is asking a government employee in Mexico City to wear a mask

https://twitter.com/jorgedalessio/status/1425340765979426820?s=20

I'm not sure if masks are mandatory for govt workers but I guess not

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-4th-wave-arrival-1.6136506

BUT BUT what about *bunch of crap pulled out from someone's rear end and not supported by clinical trials or rudimentary data analysis*

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

BUT BUT what about *bunch of crap pulled out from someone's rear end and not supported by clinical trials or rudimentary data analysis*

Now you’ve done it

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
No seriously, to any goon who says that being forced to get the vaccine is a violation of their civil liberties, making me wash my hands after I take a monster poo poo in the bathroom, before going out to make food for the adoring public is also a violation of my civil liberties.

Right?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

No seriously, to any goon who says that being forced to get the vaccine is a violation of their civil liberties, making me wash my hands after I take a monster poo poo in the bathroom, before going out to make food for the adoring public is also a violation of my civil liberties.

Right?

I’m sorry you didn’t get an adequate response the first time you posted this. You’re right. Or maybe you’re wrong. It’s impossible to say really.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm struggling with understanding as to why they will choose not to have the vaccine but instead they will ingest horse deworming paste

I should just stop looking at news feeds all together, it just hurts to much to think about this.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

To be fair that is since the vaccination campaign started and doesn't take into account 1. It's mostly Delta now and 2. During most of our big wave back in the winter and spring basically nobody but the olds and a handful of healthcare workers were fully vaccinated so I mean, of course the vast majority of cases are going to be in the unvaccinated given that.

However recent data is still showing the vaccines helping a ton. Last couple of days in Ontario had something like 72% of cases in the unvaccinated which given we're now in a situation where the majority have two shots (so the vaccinated population now vastly exceeds the unvaxxed), it's definitely saying something.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

G-III posted:

I'm struggling with understanding as to why they will choose not to have the vaccine but instead they will ingest horse deworming paste

I should just stop looking at news feeds all together, it just hurts to much to think about this.

stay in wonderland with us, see how deep the rabbit hole goes

(seriously, do whatever is best for your mental health)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

To be fair that is since the vaccination campaign started and doesn't take into account 1. It's mostly Delta now and 2. During most of our big wave back in the winter and spring basically nobody but the olds and a handful of healthcare workers were fully vaccinated so I mean, of course the vast majority of cases are going to be in the unvaccinated given that.

Ahh gently caress. I don't know how I missed that. You're absolutely right.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

However recent data is still showing the vaccines helping a ton. Last couple of days in Ontario had something like 72% of cases in the unvaccinated which given we're now in a situation where the majority have two shots (so the vaccinated population now vastly exceeds the unvaxxed), it's definitely saying something.

A more useful graph would be the same over the last 2 weeks or something like that.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

wilderthanmild posted:

A more useful graph would be the same over the last 2 weeks or something like that.

Yeah somehow adjusted for the difference in the number of vaccinated vs. unvaccinated people.

Either way the recent data shows the vaccines are still doing a lot of heavy lifting. We probably should have stuck in phase 2 in Ontario though (outdoor dining only, moderate capacity limits for retail, five max indoor gatherings, etc...). Fully opening for indoor dining was a huge mistake.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

QuarkJets posted:

It's not like it ever went away, America's big anti-smoking campaign used peer pressure and taxation to effect a positive change for multiple generations of young people. Peer pressure has never been an intrinsically bad thing

Same thing for Turkey, too. Back in 1996, indoor and public smoking ban was OUTRAGEOUS but combined with taxing and peer pressure, it reduced from 33% of general population to 23% which might not sound much but that is a drop from top three to below top 10.

Much and much has improved ever since in that regard and now that younger generations don't even consider smoking as much as my generation did.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m glad this thread has acknowledged the real villains, people getting the vaccine for reasons we don’t approve of.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yeah somehow adjusted for the difference in the number of vaccinated vs. unvaccinated people.

Yeah, you need to do that too or you can end up skewing the data and freaking people out when more cases are vaccinated than not in a well vaccinated population. I think it's usually vaxxed cases/vaxxed ratio and unvaxxed cases/unvaxxed ratio.

So say you have 50 vaccinated cases, 50 unvaccinated cases, and are 75% vaccinated.

50/.75 = 66 adjusted vaccinated cases.
50/.25 = 200 adjusted vaccinated cases.

Which would mean just under 25% of your adjusted cases in this fictional scenario are vaccinated. In this fictional case you also have a 67% effective vaccine as (200-66)/200 = .67.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

agreed, i wasn't being facetious. france also uses it to good effect to keep obesity low (combined with other, conscious social programs) and as a result have much lower rates of heart disease and other obesity complications, and other knock on effects like citizens finding joy in food rather than feeling anxious and guilty about eating. peer pressure can be good for encouraging behaviour that is good for society, no doubt

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

liz posted:

When you say vaccinated “early” how early are we talking? Jan/Feb? I got my second shot March 8th and I’m wondering if I’m coming up on my immunity waning zone of 6 months…

QuarkJets posted:

Jan/Feb. I got vaccinated at the same time so I'm basically treating myself as unvaccinated, for the sake of protecting others at least.

Hey, you two might have missed the good news. The reason they only promised it would last 6 months back when you got the shot, is that they hadn't run the trials longer than that, at the time. Well, guess what? Time has passed and they are proving still effective. So you can relax ever so slightly.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...2021/ar-AAN7p0I

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/01/health/pfizer-covid-vaccine-efficacy-six-months-bn/index.html

quote:

The findings indicate protection will last even longer than six months, vaccine experts said.
"The information coming from Pfizer-BioNTech is good news with evidence that those enrolled in the clinical trials last year are still protected. So we know that immunity will not be short-lived," Dr. Peter Hotez, a vaccine expert and dean of the school of tropical medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, told CNN.
"Hopefully the protection might last years, but we won't know until we know."

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 11, 2021

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
e ;nm

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

just another posted:

Manufacturing consent good, actually.

The manufactured consent is that this disease is “just the flu” and you need to power through it by continuing to work and consume.

hth

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

"Hey, maybe you shouldn't close your eyes and wildly fire a gun in random directions"

"gently caress you! I think for myself"

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
The FDA is expected to approve a third booster shot for immunocompromised people within the next 48 hours:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/11/politics/fda-third-dose-covid-19-vaccine/index.html

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
There's at least one group that knows how to take advantage of the terminal oppositional defiant disorder in the US and other western countries.

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1425550346240282627?s=20

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

The manufactured consent is that this disease is “just the flu” and you need to power through it by continuing to work and consume.

hth
:hmmyes:

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

G-III posted:

In my area, the horse pills crew are Mexican Mennonite. Don’t worry, they are white people, so I can stereotype them. They shift around Central America and Canada, farming. They trust government enough to sign up for child benefits, but not enough to listen to advice. When they get caught molesting their kids, they race back to Mexico. They work with animals so are comfortable with those meds, and are conservative and get news from what’s app group chats sharing Facebook stories.

That’s a quick explanation of one of the groups advising horse pills.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

Platystemon posted:

hth

:emptyquote:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I use a dermatological treatment called Soolantra and apparently it's just Ivermectin cream. So not only am I double vaxxed but I have been unknowingly fortifying my skin with anti covid cream for months now.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

I use a dermatological treatment called Soolantra and apparently it's just Ivermectin cream. So not only am I double vaxxed but I have been unknowingly fortifying my skin with anti covid cream for months now.

Now drink aquarium cleaner for the trifecta.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Right?

I sympathize with your point but because this is GBS let me point out that there is a substantial part of society that wont was their hands after a toilet break, up to 50% in the Netherlands

So I guess you will absolutely encounter people arguing with you that you shouldn't expect them to wash their hands

https://dutchreview.com/news/hands-up-only-50-percent-of-dutchies-wash-their-hands-after-using-the-toilet/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not fish tank cleaner.

It’s fish medicine, for treating parasites.

Calling it “fish tank cleaner” is like calling equine ivermectin “horse stall cleaner”.

Taking veterinary medicine on the advice of the guy from Home Alone 2 is sad enough. You don’t have to misrepresent the medicine as a cleaning product. That’s what bleach is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
the defense of the the pharma industry being good people who want to help is irrelevant ok. the only goal that matters in america is that you make money, everything else is incidental.

i don't blame people for not trusting pharma after what happened with adhd overdiagnosis/overmedication, opiate crisis and current depression overdiagnosis/overmedication.

personally, ofcourse, im insane and think martial law should have been declared a year ago and we should make vaccine guns to shoot people with but im not one to care about rights.