Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I enjoyed that every article on that thing called it "life-sized".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sumo men scared the horses
Athletes Complaining
A statue has been taken

:five:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Thauros posted:

any horse with so little fighting spirit doesn't deserve a medal anyway

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Horse would probably get spooked by the medal anyways. Better give it to Teru just in case.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So uh, just to be clear then, the only appearance of Hakuho at the olympics we should expect is him sitting in on the Judo match? Opening ceremonies were a bust and I presume he won’t be doing a dohyo-iri for the closing ceremonies — that would feel a little.. out of place.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

He'll probably be at the exhibition mini-tournament between the Olympics and the Paralympics, if they're still doing that.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hirayuki posted:

He'll probably be at the exhibition mini-tournament between the Olympics and the Paralympics, if they're still doing that.

Seems a little unfair but good on them for being inclusive I guess.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
If they let wheelchairs on the dohyo, I'm sure some wheelchair rugby players would be game.

(Wheelchair rugby aka murderball)

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

If they let wheelchairs on the dohyo, I'm sure some wheelchair rugby players would be game.

(Wheelchair rugby aka murderball)

Wheelchair rugby dude: "That looks cool, can I try?"
JSA guy: "What's that thing you're sitting on? Never seen one of those in this building before "

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

pseudodragon posted:

JSA guy: "What's that thing you're sitting on? Never seen one of those in this building before "

Ouch.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

pseudodragon posted:

Hey now, that's very unfair - they have at least one wheelchair in storage, and whenever someone gets their ligaments annihilated in the ring, the guys working front-door ticket duty will eventually be tasked with going to fetch it, usually meeting the badly injured dude after they've hobbled no more than two-thirds of the way back down to the entrance.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah don’t disrespect the comically oversized rikishi wheelchair :colbert:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
awesome video from sumostew about a certain konishiki photo that while good will never make it to my avatar space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4GD-Sx2dFs

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

If you wanted to read that report from a couple months back that that sumo panel did that proposed cracking down on foreigners and not letting Hakuho get honorary elder stock, an english translation has been put up.

https://www.sumo.or.jp/pdf/en/Expert_Panel_Recommendations_on_the_Preservation_and_Development_of_Ozumo.pdf

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Talk about seeing the right signs, but having the utterly wrong response.

quote:

In Japanese society, parents now hesitate to let their sons join the
Ozumo world as disciples. One reason is their concern about issues of health
and safety management for rikishi in the event of injury or other problems.
In recent years, the average weight of rikishi has increased, resulting in an
apparent increase in injuries among them. When injuries force rikishi to be
absent from Grand Sumo Tournaments, it can seriously lower their banzuke
rankings or, in the worst case, even terminate their careers. It goes without
saying that the absence from Grand Sumo Tournaments of those rikishi who
are popular and likely to be promoted to higher rankings diminishes some
spectators’ interest in Ozumo to a considerable extent, a negative
development in terms of JASA revenue from ticket sales.
The increase in the number of rikishi suffering injuries can be
attributed to an improvement in the power of their physiques and a gain in
weight, which may cause a too-forceful impact at the moment of a clash
between two massive rikishi, leaving virtually no way for one or both of them
to soften the force of the blow. On this particular point, there is also a view
that the increase in injuries is a phenomenon that indicates a lack of practice
at stables.
On the other hand, there has been progress in the area of medical
support to prevent injuries among rikishi. Shisho and JASA should make full
medical support available for them. Particularly in the case of injury among
lower-ranked rikishi during Grand Sumo Tournaments and regional tours,
JASA should give them special care until recovery. The Panel sincerely
expects JASA to prioritize healthcare management to prevent injuries. This
is a matter of life and death for every rikishi.
JASA has been studying a proposal for improving and enhancing its
clinic, Nihon Sumo Kyokai Shinryojo, better known simply as the Sumo Clinic.
Today, parents do not want to let their sons join Ozumo immediately after
finishing compulsory education at junior high school — they want their sons
to graduate from senior high school and stay healthy and free from injury. It
is an encouraging development that the JASA clinic employed a full-time
physician in April 2021 (Reiwa 3).

Yes, I'm sure injury rates are up because sumotori are 'too powerful' and not because unlike any other major sport an injured rikishi cannot appropriately rehabilitate and recover from injury without being forced back into competition.

The 'we finally employed a physician!' bit is especially sad when they note earlier in the document that the population of rikishi has been stable between 600-800 for decades.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i've said it before and i'll say it again some time soon a stable master is going to implement modern day training methods such as limiting brain-shattering impacts, rest days, no weird abuse between juniors / seniors, dieticians, s&c coaches, relelvant cross training with similar sports, and they will see massive success in reality and be absolutely condemned by sumo as an organisation.

there are immense amounts of beauty in the tradition of sumo, but they seem absolutely incapable of distinguishing between old ways of doing things that are good, and those things that are horrific.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Trying to imagine what the new wave of Delta means for Aki. Just a gut feeling but I strongly suspect we might get another empty basho. The rikishi have had, at least, their first dose so I'm not certain whether out and out cancelling would be on the table. Probably not, but I'm mentally preparing myself for some more awkwardly quiet sumo :ohdear:

I got my friend into Sumo RIGHT at the beginning of covid -- his first tournament was the no-spectators tournament just after cancellation. He's never actually seen a full-on basho with full, rowdy stands. Every few weeks he sends me some clip from the before-times with some variation of "holy poo poo look at the crowd". It's cute and I can't wait for him to see a full stadium again :3:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Liquid Communism posted:

Yes, I'm sure injury rates are up because sumotori are 'too powerful' and not because unlike any other major sport an injured rikishi cannot appropriately rehabilitate and recover from injury without being forced back into competition.
Well, that's definitely part of it. For comparison, in 1920 a 250 lb. football player would be one of the biggest guys in the newly-formed NFL. Today, that's just slightly more than average. But other physiological factors like "skull thickness" and "brain toughness" don't scale up with mass, to say nothing of joints and ligaments. And like somebody pointed out, the tachi-ai has become more forceful since the 90s.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm sure this has been posted before but it makes me laugh

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
C Y B E R H E N K A

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Neither of those robots will make Yokozuna. Blue robot fell for the most obvious henka, red robot will reach the higher ranks and have to fight smarter opponents. Both need more mass as well.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Halloween Jack posted:

C Y B E R H E N K A

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Enjoy this video of our newest yokozuna singing in a studio, part of a tribute to essential workers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol0bPWQXG0s

To be followed by videos of three other rikishi, as teased at the very end. Some of them, ah, sing better than others. I have to think their natural bodily resonance gives them an edge, like opera singers. (Plus the culture of karaoke means everyone will have at least one song they can perform in front of others.)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, that's definitely part of it. For comparison, in 1920 a 250 lb. football player would be one of the biggest guys in the newly-formed NFL. Today, that's just slightly more than average. But other physiological factors like "skull thickness" and "brain toughness" don't scale up with mass, to say nothing of joints and ligaments. And like somebody pointed out, the tachi-ai has become more forceful since the 90s.

Yeah, but if we're going that far back, your pre-war rikishi only had to do four honbasho a year.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Hirayuki posted:

Enjoy this video of our newest yokozuna singing in a studio, part of a tribute to essential workers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol0bPWQXG0s

To be followed by videos of three other rikishi, as teased at the very end. Some of them, ah, sing better than others. I have to think their natural bodily resonance gives them an edge, like opera singers. (Plus the culture of karaoke means everyone will have at least one song they can perform in front of others.)

Poor Ikioi.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

ilmucche posted:

I'm sure this has been posted before but it makes me laugh

The hinkaku, up in smoke

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did they, uh.. mix up the columns for advance sales and banzuke?

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnTicket/year_schedule/

Seems weird that Banzuke would be after advance ticket sales, but also so close to the tournament.

E: Nope, I guess that’s the way it is.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 13, 2021

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Maybe they're giving themselves as much time as possible to push Hakuho into retirement, given his recent "indiscretions"? Or trying to push out ticket sales before COVID cases get bad enough they can't have a crowd.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

bartolimu posted:

Maybe they're giving themselves as much time as possible to push Hakuho into retirement, given his recent "indiscretions"? Or trying to push out ticket sales before COVID cases get bad enough they can't have a crowd.

Nah the schedule's always like that, the rankings come out on a Monday morning 2 weeks before the basho starts, I don't think too many people are making the decision to go vs not go to a basho because a particular wrestler did or did not get promoted. The schedule page extends through 2023 so you can see the schedule isn't any different for other years.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I honestly just didn’t do much checking on when the other banzuke came out. I thought it was earlier in my head but obviously I’m wrong :)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2021/08/12/sumo/sumo-olympics-hakuho/

Article on how Sumo wasted the Olympics.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Brut posted:

Nah the schedule's always like that, the rankings come out on a Monday morning 2 weeks before the basho starts, I don't think too many people are making the decision to go vs not go to a basho because a particular wrestler did or did not get promoted. The schedule page extends through 2023 so you can see the schedule isn't any different for other years.

Oh poo poo is the next basho that close? I'm still going through highlights of the July one.

I've been watching Chris Sumo on youtube, I know Jason's Sumo Channel is recommended but that seems to have less coverage of the individual days?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Memento posted:

Oh poo poo is the next basho that close? I'm still going through highlights of the July one.

I've been watching Chris Sumo on youtube, I know Jason's Sumo Channel is recommended but that seems to have less coverage of the individual days?

With the exception of the rare schedule change for things like the Olympics or covid, basho start on the second Sunday of each odd month, so the 8th at the earliest and the 14th at the latest. Since it's the 14th as I write this, (early morning in the US and evening in Japan), we're a little under a month from the next one, and thus a little under 2 weeks before the banzuke is announced.

Jason usually only covers the last few matches of most days, but this basho he went back to America to visit his father who's health is failing, so he was not around for the second half of the tournament to point his ipad at his television as he usually does. At the time of his leaving it was still unclear when he'd be able to re-enter Japan, I don't know if that situation has since changed.

Edit: Looks like Jason laded in Japan a few days ago, I'm assuming that means he'll be around for the September basho.

Brut fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 16, 2021

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/AsahiYamabeya/status/1427261568727670788

Sumo pets :3:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
banzuke when?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

The Monday after next Monday. (So Sunday evening if you're in the US)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

want chiyomaru to have a guinea pig

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
This is Chiyomaru in the eyes of the Sumo magnet caricaturist, which is perfect

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Shiroc posted:

is this yours? pretty soon you're going to be able to open up your house as a tourist spot for sumo weirdos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Shiroc posted:

it never hit me until seeing the kanji how appropriate it was that he has 丸 in his name and according to wiki his oyakata agrees

quote:

Chiyomaru was judged by his appearance of his big, round belly when given the shikona of Chiyomaru which literally means ‘Eternally round’ in Japanese.