Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Golbez posted:

apologize for defending Weinstein.

She didn't just "defend Weinstein." She literally made a rape apologia argument, saying that she was never sexually assaulted in her career because she made the choice to dress modestly, and so maybe everyone else should too.

That goes well and far beyond a simple mistake; it's harboring quite frankly abhorrent views and shaming victims and survivors of assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Duckman2008 posted:

Anyway, I mean I think everyone here seems to agree Richards is the worst part of this, but that said, they both suck, so it’s a double whammy of disappointment to see this poo poo go down.

Agreed. Even aside from non-show-related stuff, I remember not liking her weeks too much, either. At least she'll be infrequent, I guess, but I do fear that if they see a ratings dip and oust Richards they'll just tap her to step in as solo host.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

They did Ken dirty.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Have you seen ratings over the course of the year? Ken won that race hands down, you have to imagine it's because of his other gigs (and/or Richards wanting it for himself).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Have you seen ratings over the course of the year? Ken won that race hands down, you have to imagine it's because of his other gigs (and/or Richards wanting it for himself).

Ken also almost certainly had a huge rating boost out of morbid curiosity on the part of viewers who wanted to see how the show would continue after Trebek's passing.

I believe Ken also said on one of his podcasts after his hosting run that he wasn't terribly interested in the full-time job anymore, but would listen if asked.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress, I would rather have Pat loving Sejak take over.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think they came out and claimed it was a tryout for all the hosts but it's clear Richards was going to take the role from the get-go. The hosts were a stupid ratings stunt.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Timby posted:

She didn't just "defend Weinstein." She literally made a rape apologia argument, saying that she was never sexually assaulted in her career because she made the choice to dress modestly, and so maybe everyone else should too.

That goes well and far beyond a simple mistake; it's harboring quite frankly abhorrent views and shaming victims and survivors of assault.

Yep, it was pretty abhorrent. And it sounds like she might know that. I'm not about to say "this makes up for it," but I'm curious how someone could convince you that they realize they were genuinely wrong?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Eh, the ratings don't mean much, they were high when this started and have been falling since. I personally wouldn't draw any conclusions. From what I see, the only ones who performed strongly different than what their spot in the schedule would suggest are Rodgers (3rd in ratings, but 5th host), Oz (6th in ratings, but 4th host), and Bialik (6th in ratings, but 9th host). So Oz underperformed and Rodgers and Bialik overperformed.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I was hoping for LeVar Burton.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I had Dr. Blossom 2nd from the bottom in terms of good hosts. This is likely a CBS call due to Big Bang Theory.

Kramer played the boardroom game and won. He was ok as host but can he keep the audience in a cordcutting world?

FWIW, my ranking is by surname

Cohen
Rodgers
Jennings
Roberts
Gupta
Guthrie
Faber
Richards
Stroumboulopoulos
Cooper
Couric
Burton
Buck
Whitaker
Bialik
Oz

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
This feels like a weird time to say that I think I just crushed the second round test. I feel way more confident about it than ANY J! test I've taken over the past few years.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Poque posted:

This feels like a weird time to say that I think I just crushed the second round test. I feel way more confident about it than ANY J! test I've taken over the past few years.

Congratulations!! That's awesome and I hope you get the call.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
What would they do if you put a shout-out to one of Richards' accusers in your FJ answer?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Duckman2008 posted:

gently caress, I would rather have Pat loving Sejak take over.

Thank you, this is gonna be my go-to pissed off line when anybody asks me. Mayim was loving HORRIBLE at reading questions and general gameflow. The thread jokes about Mike the whole time were very funny and then he actually DID give it to himself. My god. Worst of all worlds, only Dr. Oz would have been a worse choice .RIP Jeoaprdy, for me.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What’s Chuck Woolery up to these days? Maybe he can try out.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
The spinoffs and primetime the tweet is mentioning is the College Championship...and what else? Is the plan to take some of the "special" Jeopardy tournaments and just spin them off to entirely new shows? Cause that sounds lame as hell.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Awesome, a weeks worth of negative reception and articles after the leak and they go with Richards anyway. What a loving bummer.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Weaponized Autism posted:

The spinoffs and primetime the tweet is mentioning is the College Championship...and what else? Is the plan to take some of the "special" Jeopardy tournaments and just spin them off to entirely new shows? Cause that sounds lame as hell.

I wonder if this is related to the call for professors as contestants.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Give LeVar his own quiz show, just one not produced by Merv Griffin Productions.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Hed posted:

What’s Chuck Woolery up to these days? Maybe he can try out.

Wikipedia posted:

On July 12, 2020, Woolery tweeted conspiracy theories that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, doctors, the media, and Democratic Party were lying about the COVID-19 pandemic. Then-president Donald Trump retweeted Woolery's claims. The following day, Woolery tweeted that his son had tested positive for the virus and that the "COVID-19 pandemic is real". His Twitter account was briefly made private

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Hahahahahahahaaha

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The new "versions" of the show seem extremely game show-ey and gimmicky and not at all what Jeopardy should be about and I hate it.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Maybe I don't get it. I don't like Richards but I don't think hiring him kills the show.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

What would they do if you put a shout-out to one of Richards' accusers in your FJ answer?

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/04/rules-change-shout-outs-no-longer-allowed-in-final-jeopardy.html posted:

Holzhauer said, “Tragic news! The end of a Jeopardy era is upon us on Monday…as the show’s producers have informed me that they’re no longer allowing personal messages in Final Jeopardy. No more shout outs!”

It is yet to be seen what the producers will do if a contestant attempts to defy them and give a shoutout anyway.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 11, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You might say that the future of the show is in...

...peril.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

xarph posted:

Give LeVar his own quiz show, just one not produced by Merv Griffin Productions.

I wasn't around to read the thread consensus on his run, but was it that he was purposefully given a bad editing job? Because I found it really loving weird when watching the episodes, but only now do I feel like there was malicious intent behind it.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Golbez posted:

Maybe I don't get it. I don't like Richards but I don't think hiring him kills the show.

That's pretty much it. Outside of fan circles, no one gives two hoots about his role on TPIR. He's not Andrew Cuomo.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well, I think that’s one reason people are upset, is that we all know, deep down, that this won’t be questioned by the main audience, they won’t see a ratings drop, IE they’re gonna get away with it.

We truly live in the hell timeline.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

WarEternal posted:

I wasn't around to read the thread consensus on his run, but was it that he was purposefully given a bad editing job? Because I found it really loving weird when watching the episodes, but only now do I feel like there was malicious intent behind it.

It was certainly rather suspicious.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Golbez posted:

It's because we don't want a host who is completely lacking in projecting any air of authority or intelligence and instead oozes all of the unctuous, artificial "charm" of a used-car salesman desperate to make his quota for the month.

All of the sex monster poo poo from his past is just gravy on top of the poo poo sandwich.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Well, that's it with watching Jeopardy.

Also, hottake: Nearly all the hosts were fine with a few obvious exceptions. I would gladly watch Katie Couric fawn over impressive braniacs for thirty years. It's just that they went with the worst options outside of Oz. I also can't stomach watching Richards repackage the lovely words of a dying man who didn't realize he would soon be gone into a loving catch phrase.

Also They should have asked Andy Richter.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Timeless Appeal posted:

Well, that's it with watching Jeopardy.

Also, hottake: Nearly all the hosts were fine with a few obvious exceptions. I would gladly watch Katie Couric fawn over impressive braniacs for thirty years. It's just that they went with the worst options outside of Oz. I also can't stomach watching Richards repackage the lovely words of a dying man who didn't realize he would soon be gone into a loving catch phrase.

Also They should have asked Andy Richter.

This but Andy Daly

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

This but Andy Daly

This but Leslie Jones.

She would unironically rule , she does great at super market sweep.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Masterfully pulling strings in the background so that his guest week looks better as everyone thinks about what future Jeopardy! games and tourneys will look like.

e:

Duckman2008 posted:

super market sweep.

Holy crap that's back?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

HookShot posted:

Congratulations!! That's awesome and I hope you get the call.

Thanks! It's odd to be told that it could take up to a year to hear back, but at least I don't have to think until/if that happens.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

Holy crap that's back?

Yes, and it’s honestly legit pretty good. Would recommend.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hed posted:

Holy crap that's back?
Yeah, and it's legitimately great! Jones is a great host and they have a lot of fun with it including having little goofy side characters. It has mad double dare vibes.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Weaponized Autism posted:

loser tournament! loser tournament! loser tournament!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
https://twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/status/1425515618720047109

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Poque posted:

Thanks! It's odd to be told that it could take up to a year to hear back, but at least I don't have to think until/if that happens.

Oh, they’ve lowered it then, back in my day (old man voice) of 2018 it was eighteen months. The best advice I can give you is to put it out of your head and pretend it didn’t happen, and if you get the call, awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

This "two hosts" thing is clearly bullshit, I can't really see it as anything but a way to soften the blow of the news. Mike Richards is the new host of Jeopardy!, Mayim will maybe host a dozen shows a year that count as special events and are always the worst part of the show anyway.

e: ok "worst" is harsh, but even including the ToC the special J! episodes are rarely better than just a solid regular one

Ror fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 11, 2021