Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Charliegrs posted:

I highly doubt the Taliban have the expertise to fly and maintain these choppers. But all the rockets and guns will be useful for them.

Lol. I don't think you realize that the Taliban can just buy flight school for a few guys to run these. I mean the US trains foreign pilots all day long. Why couldn't Russia etc do the same?

They do by the way.

--

PRO-TB twitters announce that the security belt in Kandahar has been breached.

Also reporting the Kandahar prison has been opened up but no reports of prisoners freed yet.

Note all the nothing burgers coming out of pentagon press sec saying Afghanistan won't fall bla bla bla and the Talibans best interest lie in peaceful surrender. Lol.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Don't count the ANA out yet!

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1425518035163652096

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We will re garrison the northern alliance fortresses and hold out against the Taliban hordes like it's helm's deep.

And I love that the ANA and the US loving dumbasses keep citing 300,000 as a real troop count. It's more like 30,000 or less. I mean they are literally Gotterdammerung style units of sub 16 year olds and post 65 year old "soldiers" aka militias.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Here's how we plan to win the war:

Step 1) Stop losing

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

OctaMurk posted:

Here's how we plan to win the war:

Step 1) Stop losing

yeahhh can't say it inspires a lot of confidence

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
This is literally that meme bunker scene from downfall lmfao

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Plus the ANA has access to a lot of US hardware, and its troops US training.

Between Iraq getting chumped by ISIS and the ANA getting chumped by the Taliban, perhaps US training is actively detrimental when talking about a guerilla force.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

I mean under normal circumstances, yes. But not when everyone is retreating and/or surrendering.

Yes, hence the on paper part. It doesn't matter how many weapons you have if there's no will to fight.

It reminds me of the Iraqi army falling to peices when ISIS was rolling through. In the end it was basically Iran setting up militia groups that turned the tide. The military force the US had trained just melted away.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Because we train like garbage. I mean these are imperial puppets. Iran doesn't consider PMUs to be puppets like we do.

There was a goon that claimed during a conflict, without knowing which side the guys they were training would be on. They trained said pilots to check their altitude after making a maneuver to ensure we could have a few seconds to destroy there planes before they would react.

That's the gist of all loving training we have conducted. We can't go "yeah the us is a big shia nation and we are here to liberate you from the sunni hordes".

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

quote:

The removal of the country's army chief, General Wali Mohammad Ahmadzai, was confirmed to the BBC on Wednesday. He had only been in the post since June.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58170847

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Because we train like garbage.
Unless they are Central American dictators in the 1970s/1980s, in which case we trained them TOO well

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
The US is good at training death squads. Not conventional militaries.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

As we saw in Syria and Iraq, extremism is a force multiplier. In Iraq the national army fled, so the government increasingly relied on Shia militias/death squads of their own to fight fire with fire. In Syria the most extreme rebels gobbled up all the market share from other rebels and then died to a combination of the US, Russia, Shia militias, and Kurdish commandos or got co-opted by Turkey. I assume most people in Afghanistan would prefer not to live under the Taliban, but if more people are willing to kill and be killed for the Taliban than are willing to kill and be killed for the ANA, the Taliban can still win. The US can give equipment and training, but it can't make people believe in dying for a cause.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FlamingLiberal posted:

Unless they are Central American dictators in the 1970s/1980s, in which case we trained them TOO well

Yeah but that was the 70s and 80s. I mean we trained up the SF in Afghanistan to be lovely genocidal killers aswell.

Unconfirmed but there is a possiblity that the taliban just wiped Kandahar.

And there's heavy fighting going on in Maz al Sheriff, which is a very major stronghold of the NA . If that falls it's over.

Oh Cool, Top SF man appointed to the defense of afghanistan. Civilians will be turbo hosed now. expect vanguard assaults on the civilian populace that doesnt "resist" the taliban enough.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 12, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yes, but what if the Taliban were told really, really sternly to stop winning?

The Washington Post posted:

The Biden administration has mounted a last-ditch effort this week to convince the Taliban, as it continues its relentless march across Afghanistan, that the world will reject it if it takes over the entire country by force.

In the largest such gathering since U.S.-Taliban talks began nearly two years ago, representatives from Russia, China, Afghanistan’s regional neighbors, European powers, the European Union, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation and the United Nations have converged on Doha, Qatar, for U.S.-led meetings with the militants.

The hope is that sheer numbers and a unified stance — both during the Taliban meetings and in a tough joint statement to be issued after their last session Thursday — will disabuse the militants of any notion that there are cracks in international resolve to cut any Taliban government off from all diplomatic contact and assistance.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...-top-table-main

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yes, but what if the Taliban were told really, really sternly to stop winning?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...-top-table-main

Cool we're going to sub out our response to the crisis. Maybe Mozambique will send soldiers to the aid of the Afghani cause.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Now that the Taliban has hit on corporate tax cuts as an essential part of their governing strategy, maybe Republicans will come around on them.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1425805889492197386/photo/1

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I suspect the Taliban and Republicans would also have a rather large overlap on civil issues too.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Lost Time posted:

https://twitter.com/BhittaniKhannnn/status/1425395785303302145

You got to love all these military toys that keep falling into the wrong hands.

There probably should be some sort of accountability or something, but everyone involved already got their money so yolo.

I wonder if Eagle Dynamics has noticed that they just got two preorders for DCS:Mi-24P from Afghanistan.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Flayer posted:

I suspect the Taliban and Republicans would also have a rather large overlap on civil issues too.

Evangelicals are our wahhabists so I agree

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Count Roland posted:

The speed is a bit surprising.

When the Soviets withdrew it looked like a similar situation. Yet there the central government held on for more than a year, only falling when the USSR stopped supporting them. The government this time, while still weak, looked like it had at least a few things going in its favour.

They held on for 3 years actually, outlasting the USSR itself by a couple of months, and they defeated major Mujahadeen offensive with Soviet air support

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Typo posted:

They held on for 3 years actually, outlasting the USSR itself by a couple of months, and they defeated major Mujahadeen offensive with Soviet air support

The (Democratic) Republic of Afghanistan (ironically "democratic" was dropped in 1987 when elections were held) recovered alot of lost legitimacy once the Soviets left and remained the most powerful individual faction for a long while. It had also rebranded itself as an Islamic Republic in 1990. IIRC the deathblow was delivered by way of a number of major pro-government forces switching sides, most prominently those led by General Dostum

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Typo posted:

Yes that was a typo on my part, thanks.

Also, good username/post combo

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Herat has fallen to the Taliban while Kandahar is teetering:-

https://twitter.com/BBCYaldaHakim/status/1425848960606953479?s=20

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lol. I don't think you realize that the Taliban can just buy flight school for a few guys to run these. I mean the US trains foreign pilots all day long. Why couldn't Russia etc do the same?

They do by the way.

OTOH who cares if Taliban has a hand-me-down helicopter that is a version of a 50 year old model.

Anyway, anybody with any training to fly anything is going to in the first wave to leave the country, looking to land a job flying tourists in a Cessna in Egypt or something. That is if they haven't left already.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 12, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

What a great result of 20 years of training.

It’s very fitting that Afghanistan will be run by the Taliban again 20 years after 9/11 next month

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

if IS was able to find pilots for the planes they captured I don't see why the Taliban can't

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FlamingLiberal posted:

What a great result of 20 years of training.

It’s very fitting that Afghanistan will be run by the Taliban again 20 years after 9/11 next month

I was hoping the country would fall before the 8/31 deadline.

Not put of jeering for violence but because it would crush the narrative or "the ana will survive!.....long enough for us to leave on aug 31"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1425863220640813057?s=20

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1425855870957768710?s=20

https://twitter.com/ReutersZengerle/status/1425871090925117449?s=20

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 12, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/TamerlaneBlog/status/1425876392839839749?s=20

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

things are going super great you guys

https://twitter.com/margbrennan/status/1425881334594121728?s=21

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

hmmmm it's not a nice round number of years since 1975 tho

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Taliban just took Herat(!) , Kandahar and Qala e-Naw. It's a complete collapse now, with government officials fleeing the country and troops and warlords defecting to the Taliban. Although it's amazing that Kandahar held out as long as it did after getting cut off, the government really botched every aspect of that.

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/1425819929995989003

I wonder how the US will respond now. China is already offering to recognize the Taliban if they drop support for Muslim Chinese militants, although that's also a case of blowback, since China allowed the mujahedeen to use Xinjiang as a haven back in the 80s, and even preach to and recruit from the local population.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 12, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

What a pathetic waste of 20 years. Biden's going to get the blame if anyone even pays attention enough to care what's happening there, but it was the three administrations before him that lied about the progress we were supposedly making in standing up the Afghan government. We all knew the Taliban would probably eventually take over, but I feel like even with that pessimism nobody really thought it would happen so suddenly.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I can only Imagine the rave parties happening in the Afghanistan Office of the Pakistani ISI right now, holy cow they must be lit as gently caress right now.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
yeah, i was betting on there being like a week in-between provincial capitals falling, not literally just a few hours
the recognized governments soldiers have even less will to fight than those random africans saudi arabia kidnaps during hajj and herds towards the houthi front lines like literal battlefodder

here's to hoping the regime doesn't escape the capital in time I guess

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Zedhe Khoja posted:

here's to hoping the regime doesn't escape the capital in time I guess

...what do you mean by this?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
if the ghani clan gets to escape to dubai to play with their pet tigers forever the one sliver of justice that might come of this horror show will be thwarted

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

How are u posted:

...what do you mean by this?

A lot of the officials who've been running the Afghan government over the last 20 years have been corrupt as gently caress and deserve plenty of blame for what's happening. While I'm not going to be cheering on summary executions if it comes to that, it seems like a shame for them to go retire with their stolen money while the people they were responsible for get left behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Sinteres posted:

What a pathetic waste of 20 years. Biden's going to get the blame if anyone even pays attention enough to care what's happening there, but it was the three administrations before him that lied about the progress we were supposedly making in standing up the Afghan government. We all knew the Taliban would probably eventually take over, but I feel like even with that pessimism nobody really thought it would happen so suddenly.

Biden has impeccable domestic political cover for this.

Trump negotiated the withdraw/surrender and he carried it out. Both parties share the blame. So it's hard for anyone to attack him over this.