Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When I delivered sandwiches I was honestly like, rendered speechless when someone expected to be able to pay for their single sandwich order of like seven bucks tip and all with a hundred. I ain't tryna get mugged fam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Any interaction is better than just silently watching me.

I always do backseat gaming while my friends play darksouls.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

My pet peeve is when people call themselves introverted, when they are clearly not (Playing the popularity game, always hanging out etc.) or they are actually introverted, but make it a big part of their identity because they think it is super quirky.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

KozmoNaut posted:

That sounds like attempted robbery to me.
i think people are just goddamn loving stupid and entitled because it was more than once, in crowded lines, by rear end in a top hat tourists from long island who brag about being from long island

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I will never understand people who show up first thing in the morning to buy $12 worth of product with a $100 bill. Like why the gently caress do you even have a $100 bill? You literally have to request it from the bank, even ATMs default to $20s.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Iron Crowned posted:

I will never understand people who show up first thing in the morning to buy $12 worth of product with a $100 bill. Like why the gently caress do you even have a $100 bill? You literally have to request it from the bank, even ATMs default to $20s.

I've been stuck with large denomination bills from an ATM before (my closest one dispenses 50's for withdrawals over a hundred bucks), and my bank loves giving me 50's and 100's at the counter which I hate having to deal with. In my experience you need to request small bills specifically and then they look at you funny.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

kupachek posted:

I've been stuck with large denomination bills from an ATM before (my closest one dispenses 50's for withdrawals over a hundred bucks), and my bank loves giving me 50's and 100's at the counter which I hate having to deal with. In my experience you need to request small bills specifically and then they look at you funny.

Maybe don't wave a gun around next time?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Our town finished completely revamping the Main Street

This warranted a celebration with fireworks at 11:00 at night for 10 min straight.

I think fireworks are nice and pretty but also maybe don’t need to be fired off when everyone is sleeping with no warning that was going to happen. Thanks dipshits.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Black Stones posted:

Our town finished completely revamping the Main Street

This warranted a celebration with fireworks at 11:00 at night for 10 min straight.

I think fireworks are nice and pretty but also maybe don’t need to be fired off when everyone is sleeping with no warning that was going to happen. Thanks dipshits.

It’s all the day shifters getting a taste of what it’s like to work nights.

At this point I just want someone to make apartment complexes for night shift workers so I don’t have to deal with all the noise when I’m sleeping.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Is there a "Things that are not really a huge deal but are still problems instead of just pet peeves" thread anywhere?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There's PYF first world problems, whose subheader "just jerk off you loving lunatic" is almost as evergreen as "film adaptation of the incredible hulk".

But really it's PYF, it's all the same thread, take your pick.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Midig posted:

My pet peeve is when people call themselves introverted, when they are clearly not (Playing the popularity game, always hanging out etc.) or they are actually introverted, but make it a big part of their identity because they think it is super quirky.

My dad does this all the time. He calls himself a hermit who doesn't like people and just wants to sit by himself and read a book.

Then he goes to the cafe and talks to everyone, then goes and visits his friends at their house, then he drives to the lumberyard to talk to his friend, then he drives down to where I live and takes my kids to a museum, then out to eat, then to the park where he talks to absolutely everyone. Then he wants to out to eat with all of us. Then he wants to talk to the sushi chef who happens to be Mongolian. Then he stays the night posting on Facebook and drives back up north in the morning.

I do customer service and I swear I talk to less people than he does in a day.

By the way, he tells everyone how he's a hermit. Never known a hermit that goes to every party with the soul purpose of talking about being a hermit, all the while being the life of the party and working the whole room.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Your dad sounds hella cool. Give him your account.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Don't curse those gifted with real world socializing by making them post here

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I hate recipes with weird quantities. Like, half a can of coconut milk or half a bell pepper. Sure I could slice up the other half of the bell pepper into a salad or something, but what am I going to do with the other half a can of coconut milk?! I don't make curry THAT often. It's just going to go to waste if I don't use it now.

Why not just... make a double batch so you use up the whole can? Which is what I end up doing, usually, but why make the recipe have those weird quantities in the first place?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Unnecessary vagueness. Like, if you mean Werribee then don't say "western suburbs". I live in the western suburbs - but I'm not going all the way out to Werribee.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

People who refuse to take prescribed medication for things like high blood pressure or cholesterol. So much of those problems are caused by diet and lifestyle and you have no problem eating the stuff that contributes to it but you have a problem taking a pill once a day to lower it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Silver Falcon posted:

Why not just... make a double batch so you use up the whole can?
Indeed, why not? What's stopping you?

Silver Falcon posted:

Why not just... make a double batch so you use up the whole can? Which is what I end up doing, usually, but why make the recipe have those weird quantities in the first place?
Oh, you do.

You could just throw the other halves in a freezer for next time, or you could quadruple everything to serve even more people.

Seems like you'd complain that it'd make too many servings if the recipe used the whole can/pepper too tbh

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

oldpainless posted:

People who refuse to take prescribed medication for things like high blood pressure or cholesterol. So much of those problems are caused by diet and lifestyle and you have no problem eating the stuff that contributes to it but you have a problem taking a pill once a day to lower it.

More like oldpillless? Doesn’t really scan nicely tbh.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Silver Falcon posted:

I hate recipes with weird quantities. Like, half a can of coconut milk or half a bell pepper.

Related, recipes that want something like "half a can of tomato sauce" but don't even hint at what size of can they mean. My grocery store has four different sizes available and none of them are really considered any more "standard" than the others.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Half a bell pepper seems like an odd complaint. Even if you're so lazy as to just throw the half back in the bag it came in, it keeps fine.

Don't ask how I know I'm not lazy stop looking at me

Dip Viscous posted:

Related, recipes that want something like "half a can of tomato sauce" but don't even hint at what size of can they mean. My grocery store has four different sizes available and none of them are really considered any more "standard" than the others.

Double points if it lists a specific brand but not a specific amount, instant jackpot if it's a specific brand of can for something like unseasoned veggies or beans.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Silver Falcon posted:

I hate recipes with weird quantities. Like, half a can of coconut milk or half a bell pepper. Sure I could slice up the other half of the bell pepper into a salad or something, but what am I going to do with the other half a can of coconut milk?! I don't make curry THAT often. It's just going to go to waste if I don't use it now.

I’ve been in this situation before, and ended up using the rest of the can to make coconut milk cookies. Very tasty, would recommend

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

FFT posted:

Seems like you'd complain that it'd make too many servings if the recipe used the whole can/pepper too tbh

Nope, I would not. That just means more leftovers! I'm nothing if not consistent.

Butt Detective posted:

I’ve been in this situation before, and ended up using the rest of the can to make coconut milk cookies. Very tasty, would recommend

This is a good idea, however. I'll keep that in mind if I run across a recipe that uses half a can of coconut milk and is not easily doubled.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Coconut milk is good for rice and beans and that's easy to scale up and down based on the amount of ingredients / servings.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Silver Falcon posted:

Nope, I would not. That just means more leftovers! I'm nothing if not consistent.

This is a good idea, however. I'll keep that in mind if I run across a recipe that uses half a can of coconut milk and is not easily doubled.

Powdered coconut milk exists. Make as much as you need.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Just put the whole bell pepper in you coward, are you afraid of flavour?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Just put the whole bell pepper in you coward, are you afraid of flavour?

Broke: Put the whole bell pepper in
Woke: Put the whole ghost pepper in

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Galaxy brain: put the ghost pepper in your hole

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
I always double up on sauces because thats where the flavor is. If it's good enough I can just put it over some rice, maybe add some chickpeas if I want some protein.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When people insist on using the more formal/full version of your first name despite everyone else using the shorter form that I always introduce myself as. It's even more annoying when they always used to call me the shorter name but when I became their boss they always use the full version. It's the kind of thing that I know means nothing because it's still my name, but it bothers me to an irrational degree. Even worse for me is when people just decide they're going to call you by your last name instead.

This is from quite a while ago but I'm just catching up on the thread n have some input on this: it sucks equally hard in a similar fashion when your LAST name is part of what people call you. IRL people call me CJ, but my name is like the guy from gta where the J is my last name, not the middle initial like most CJs. So when people call me "CJ Jacobs" it feels a bit like they're calling me "atm machine"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Had an overly familiar prick of a coworker forever ago start calling me "Staniel" because he misheard my name as Stan and I dared to correct him (Dan). After like the tenth time he was like "haha it's just a nickname brah dont get so dramatic" I started calling him the nickname Dogfucker. He stopped talking to me at all pretty quick which was great

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Imaging a cool rich friend nicknamed "ATM Machine" because he's so generous with his funds

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I call myself Rain Man because I'm makin it RAIN

definitely, definitely makin it rain, definitely, I make it rain on Thursdays, definitely Thursdays

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Brawnfire posted:

I call myself Rain Man because I'm makin it RAIN

definitely, definitely makin it rain, definitely, I make it rain on Thursdays, definitely Thursdays

Please stop throwing nickels at me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When websites that log you out for inactivity tell you that your session timed out the next time you go to log in. It's like, "My session timed out? You mean two weeks ago? Sure, I guess it did. But I wasn't actually expecting to stay logged in all this time." There should be a statute of limitations on that. If I load the website up on the same day, ok. Two weeks later, it's weird that you're telling me that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Peeve: When understanding or caring about a thing happening is assumed to be an endorsement. EG: I like hearing about what the US Senate is up to and what rules they follow because the laws set or not set by the federal government of the country where I and much of my loved ones reside because they dramatically affect my life and theirs. This does not mean The Rules are important to me and I love the Senate and we're all privileged centrist shills.

corollary: Spending 66% of your time screaming at perceived libs online and 33% screaming "GENERAL STRIKE NOW" to all of your four twitter followers is perhaps the most useless thing to the cause possible. Sorry for the rant but it's incredibly frustrating to see how often this happens. It happens on Twitter, it happens here on SA, it happens in irl DSA meetings but even worse. When that happens it's inevitably the richest, whitest, and dweebiest dudes in the room interrupting discussion materially relevant to our lives to call people centrists and argue that vaguely-defined anti-chinese propaganda or relitigating soviet political rivalries of the 1920s are the real issues before we can move forward. Even as some of us are being literally tear gassed one night before and one night after.

Just so, incredibly dumb.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Peeve: stuff leaving streaming services with no warning or announcement.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When that happens it's inevitably the richest, whitest, and dweebiest dudes in the room interrupting discussion materially relevant to our lives to call people centrists and argue that vaguely-defined anti-chinese propaganda or relitigating soviet political rivalries of the 1920s are the real issues before we can move forward.

This but every polarizing issue on every side.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Those velcro strip rings they put on the more "higher end" usb cables are the bane of my existence. All they do is ensure that your cables are going to get tangled even more than they do naturally. They have never once served a positive purpose for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Silver Falcon posted:

Agreed. Over specific recipes are irritating. I don't use 3 slices of tomato cut into 4.267 gram segments. I use a whole tomato. Unless you're baking, you just need a list of ingredients. The quantities really don't matter. Even for baking, a lot of recipes get translated between imperial and metric so they don't make sense. 136 grams of flour. 236.588ml of milk. Bake at 176.667 Celsius or gas mark 4 which has no proper translation to American systems. Just say a cup of flour and a cup of milk bake at 350f until done. (I dare you to make that and see what you get. I assume it would make library paste.)

Of course I have a scale that reads metric, measuring cups that do metric, converting c to f isn't hard but I'd rather just eyeball everything. Unless it's a super fancy cake, it'll work out.