Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

I was planning on adding this along with maybe the Education Apps to get Final Cut Pro and whatnot along with it for cheaper.

How credible are these rumors for the new M1X/M2 Mac Mini? I'm not sure if I should just wait or just grab it now and get a free pair of AirPods.

Apple still sells an Intel Mac Mini so it's possible they just bump that one up with the new Apple Silicon and leave the base M1 untouched (like they will likely do with the MBP) or they scrap it and refresh the whole lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I was planning on adding this along with maybe the Education Apps to get Final Cut Pro and whatnot along with it for cheaper.

How credible are these rumors for the new M1X/M2 Mac Mini? I'm not sure if I should just wait or just grab it now and get a free pair of AirPods.
Depends on what you want to get out of the Mini, I guess. The Mac Mini doesn't really have the same downsides that the M1 iMac/MacBooks do with only supporting one external monitor because it doesn't have an internal screen hardwired to one of the two outputs so you're good to use dual monitors on it (one via USB-C and one via HDMI).

The performance is obviously the same as the rest of the M1 lineup but that's honestly pretty good for most stuff. It also has the advantage of having a cooling system designed for an Intel chip in it (like the M1 MBP does) meaning it can truck along with everything at max and not have to throttle even when you're pushing it hard for an extended period of time. There's also the other advantage that was already mentioned of being able to stick a much faster NIC into it if you want.

There may well be a significantly faster model coming out after they eventually refresh the high-end MacBook Pros to Apple Silicon but I'd also expect it to be significantly more expensive. You can probably expect an M2 refresh next year sometime if they continue to operate how they do with the iPhone/iPad but that's likely to just be the same core configuration but faster (and hopefully with an extra Thunderbolt controller to add support for more external displays but you can't tell sometimes with Apple).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

If you plan to use the mini for labs I would suggest evaluating the nbase/10g network upgrade so that you can use remote storage almost as quick as local

Would this be worth getting if my NAS doesn't support 10g (Synology DS920+) and my Internet is only half a gig?

FCKGW posted:

Apple still sells an Intel Mac Mini so it's possible they just bump that one up with the new Apple Silicon and leave the base M1 untouched (like they will likely do with the MBP) or they scrap it and refresh the whole lineup.

Mercurius posted:

Depends on what you want to get out of the Mini, I guess. The Mac Mini doesn't really have the same downsides that the M1 iMac/MacBooks do with only supporting one external monitor because it doesn't have an internal screen hardwired to one of the two outputs so you're good to use dual monitors on it (one via USB-C and one via HDMI).

The performance is obviously the same as the rest of the M1 lineup but that's honestly pretty good for most stuff. It also has the advantage of having a cooling system designed for an Intel chip in it (like the M1 MBP does) meaning it can truck along with everything at max and not have to throttle even when you're pushing it hard for an extended period of time. There's also the other advantage that was already mentioned of being able to stick a much faster NIC into it if you want.

There may well be a significantly faster model coming out after they eventually refresh the high-end MacBook Pros to Apple Silicon but I'd also expect it to be significantly more expensive. You can probably expect an M2 refresh next year sometime if they continue to operate how they do with the iPhone/iPad but that's likely to just be the same core configuration but faster (and hopefully with an extra Thunderbolt controller to add support for more external displays but you can't tell sometimes with Apple).

I'm planning on picking up the M1 version as it should be good enough for my needs, thanks for the help on this!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

Would this be worth getting if my NAS doesn't support 10g (Synology DS920+) and my Internet is only half a gig?

Nothing stops you to eventually upgrade to a more powerful nas. The 10g port is not about internet speeds but internal networks so you could use your m1 to provide(or receive) services to(or from) multiple hosts at 1g(as long as you have a 10g port on your switch). You cannot upgrade a single bit of the m1 so I would suggest to splash a bit on features during purchase.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Well two things. One is the aforementioned scenario where you upgrade the NAS eventually. The other is that you have 2x gig ports...so theoretically you could get more bandwidth out of it with the right network stuff.

I was in the same boat a few years ago with the 2018 mini and decided not to get 10G. I figured by the time I'd get a new NAS and switches that support 10G (or just 2.5 or 5G even) I'd want a new machine, and that's turned out to be the right choice. So in that case just kinda depends when you expect to upgrade stuff I guess.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Nothing stops you to eventually upgrade to a more powerful nas. The 10g port is not about internet speeds but internal networks so you could use your m1 to provide(or receive) services to(or from) multiple hosts at 1g(as long as you have a 10g port on your switch). You cannot upgrade a single bit of the m1 so I would suggest to splash a bit on features during purchase.

Oh sweet that does actually sound pretty cool.

I could plug the Synology into that port if I can move things around to do so, then get faster speeds. Could also use it as LAN instead if needed?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Well drat. 1Password took all of that VC money and now the next version of the Mac app is Electron based. :(

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2021/08/11/1password-8-for-mac-early-access/

quote:

The new Mac app uses Electron, too, as you can immediately see from how the fonts and controls look. A two-person team can write a native AppKit app, but a team of 473 starting with a mature AppKit codebase has other priorities.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Violator posted:

Well drat. 1Password took all of that VC money and now the next version of the Mac app is Electron based. :(

Electron-based, but not based, sadly. :v:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Violator posted:

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2021/08/11/1password-8-for-mac-early-access/

What does this mean (not being snarky, I have no idea what Electron is or why it would be bad)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Electron is basically Chrome as an application environment, so everything gets rewritten into JavaScript. It sucks up RAM like a bastard.

Edit

Pardot posted:

if it was just the memory that'd be one thing, but also now you can't resize the windows of the app in real-time, random bits of the UI lag while resizing, and default shortcuts don’t work anymore cause it's all electron bullshit. just a really terrible downgrade in experience all around. the memory waste is just the cherry on top

https://twitter.com/migueldeicaza/status/1425492714624278530

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 11, 2021

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I actually ended up leaving 1Password for a while when the Monterey betas started since now Keychain does the 2FA thing. It’s still not perfect and you can’t just like store information in there but it’s a start.

I hope eventually Apple just makes Keychain its own separate app and let’s us store stuff similar to 1Password.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, LOL at the “our team wrote this mission critical security app using a language and technology we’re not familiar with.”

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jesus christ. Ok I guess I'll be using the older version as long as I can now. a shame since I like a lot of things 1PW does in one place and editing Keychain is a loving slog.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Every time I get a new Mac (and once or twice a month the rest of the time) I find myself looking stuff up manually in Keychain Access. And thinking to myself "this cannot possibly be what they have in mind"

But it's never gotten any better. Might as well just keep it in the drat Dock, I use it more often than half the stuff in there

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Every time I get a new Mac (and once or twice a month the rest of the time) I find myself looking stuff up manually in Keychain Access. And thinking to myself "this cannot possibly be what they have in mind"

But it's never gotten any better. Might as well just keep it in the drat Dock, I use it more often than half the stuff in there
This just reminded me that Safari can view the passwords too. If you just want to view/copy passwords it looks/functions like a nicer front end to the data (from like a five second glance at least...).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

Electron is basically Chrome as an application environment, so everything gets rewritten into JavaScript. It sucks up RAM like a bastard.

Edit

https://twitter.com/migueldeicaza/status/1425492714624278530

I don't disagree that electron apps use more memory but a guy with 64gb of ram calling a ~150mb app a "bloated pig" is just :jerkbag:

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Very disappointing news, especially since it's been such a well-behaved native app for so long. I'd argue it got where it is because of how nice it is to use, and they seem intent on spending a bunch of engineering effort to throw that all away. I suggest letting their support team know https://support.1password.com/contact/

Also, any idea about what's in 11.5.2? The release notes are even more vague than usual...

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So might be getting a m1 mac mini soon and was wondering if there is any keyboard and mouse broadcasting software that will allow me to control my PC and mac with the same stuff. Don't want to end up with two keyboards and mice on my desk.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Zil posted:

So might be getting a m1 mac mini soon and was wondering if there is any keyboard and mouse broadcasting software that will allow me to control my PC and mac with the same stuff. Don't want to end up with two keyboards and mice on my desk.

I'm guessing you already have the KB+M? Otherwise, it's probably easier to do that on the keyboard or mouse itself, like with the Logi MX Keys / MX Anywhere combo. If not, there's stuff like https://symless.com/synergy.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Granite Octopus posted:

Also, any idea about what's in 11.5.2? The release notes are even more vague than usual...

Even the experts are stumped...

https://eclecticlight.co/2021/08/11/what-has-changed-in-macos-11-5-2/

There are a lot of revised extensions and such but zilcho details.

It's like Hair Force One just put his heels up on his desk, put his hands behind his head (without touching the hair,) leaned back and said 'ship out dat baby, gently caress da docs'

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Well poo poo...I've been a 1Password fan for years, not sure what to think of this other than my machines have a ton of RAM for a reason?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Tippis posted:

I'm guessing you already have the KB+M? Otherwise, it's probably easier to do that on the keyboard or mouse itself, like with the Logi MX Keys / MX Anywhere combo. If not, there's stuff like https://symless.com/synergy.

Synergy looks like exactly what I am looking for. Thanks.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

FCKGW posted:

I don't disagree that electron apps use more memory but a guy with 64gb of ram calling a ~150mb app a "bloated pig" is just :jerkbag:

I added it up to 200 (assuming the second helper is the old one can't close) compared to 60 for the previous version. Trebling memory usage. What is the issue with the current version that this rewrite in Electron is trying to solve? It is a well-written lightweight piece of software. Being lightweight is useful given its status.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Until run out of RAM IDGAF. People who have strong feelings about how much RAM a program should be using are weird.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve completely stopped using 1Password since keychain does everything I need it to do and the more obscure stuff that 1Password does do aren’t documented in their iOS app so I wouldn’t it anyway.

Keychain works pretty fantastic now and covers what the vast majority of people need at this point.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Sad Panda posted:

What is the issue with the current version that this rewrite in Electron is trying to solve?

They probably want a single shared codebase for windows and apple.
Javascript devs are easier to find as well, I think

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh sweet that does actually sound pretty cool.

I could plug the Synology into that port if I can move things around to do so, then get faster speeds. Could also use it as LAN instead if needed?

Your current synology is locked to 1g, direct connect won’t help. What are you currently using for switching duties? A dedicated switch or your isp router?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

commie kong posted:

They probably want a single shared codebase for windows and apple.
Javascript devs are easier to find as well, I think

On the other hand, putting a big component of a security-critical application inside a runtime which consists of an entire chromium web browser (AKA a loving huge attack surface) is probably not a great idea.

Also: rewriting everything in your security-critical program for reasons other than "we did a comprehensive code audit and found that it was all hopeless crap"? Probably not a great idea!

Also^2: choosing electron just so you can hire cheap webdevs to work on this sensitive bit of software? Once again, I must write the phrase "Probably not a great idea".

Throwing away their existing codebase and rewriting in electron is a warning sign that their management may have been infected by people who don't care about delivering a good product and just want to improve profit margin.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Yeah it sucks

Wouldn’t surprise me if they let the windows and apple devs go and have a single cheaper team.

Probably the main motivation tbh

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Zil posted:

Synergy looks like exactly what I am looking for. Thanks.

If you want to see how Synergy works on your system, take a look at Barrier - https://github.com/debauchee/barrier/releases
It's a fork of Synergy before it went commercial and works really well. I haven't used it on a Mac, but my old office setup was a Windows laptop and several Linux Desktops and it worked flawlessly.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

On the other hand, putting a big component of a security-critical application inside a runtime which consists of an entire chromium web browser (AKA a loving huge attack surface) is probably not a great idea.

Also: rewriting everything in your security-critical program for reasons other than "we did a comprehensive code audit and found that it was all hopeless crap"? Probably not a great idea!

Also^2: choosing electron just so you can hire cheap webdevs to work on this sensitive bit of software? Once again, I must write the phrase "Probably not a great idea".

Throwing away their existing codebase and rewriting in electron is a warning sign that their management may have been infected by people who don't care about delivering a good product and just want to improve profit margin.
They were a small but profitable company and then took a bunch of VC money, and this is what we get.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, one of their devs said on Twitter that their team felt supporting all of the platforms they have apps on was a nightmare (Mac, iOS, Windows, Linux, web) so they wanted to consolidate everything into a single code base.

I can’t help but feel like that’s bullshit, but I’ve never worked on giant multi-platform software projects. But with 497+ employees, I’m guessing mostly in sales and support, they’ve got a specific plan in place.

Edit: I’m always astonished at what small teams can do (the original native versions of 1P was apparently built by two people, PocketCasts is ~2 people, Overcast is 1, PCcalc is 1, the entire Panic software team is like a dozen spread over several large software and hardware projects, etc.)

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
Has anyone tried any of the other MacOS/iOS native 1Password alternatives, like Secrets?

I think this might what finally pushes me off of 1Password (I prefer to maintain my passwords locally instead of in the cloud), so I’m open to someone taking up the vintage 1Password mantle.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Your current synology is locked to 1g, direct connect won’t help. What are you currently using for switching duties? A dedicated switch or your isp router?

Right now, the Synology is just connected to the dedicated switch (my connection is just half a gigabit currently) and everything it does anything with does so by network drives. I'll admit, Networking isn't really my strong suit.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

Right now, the Synology is just connected to the dedicated switch (my connection is just half a gigabit currently) and everything it does anything with does so by network drives. I'll admit, Networking isn't really my strong suit.

Since networking is technically out of scope for the thread, I think we should move to DM if we want to analyze it further, let me know if you need more help.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Violator posted:

Yeah, one of their devs said on Twitter that their team felt supporting all of the platforms they have apps on was a nightmare (Mac, iOS, Windows, Linux, web) so they wanted to consolidate everything into a single code base.

I can’t help but feel like that’s bullshit, but I’ve never worked on giant multi-platform software projects. But with 497+ employees, I’m guessing mostly in sales and support, they’ve got a specific plan in place.

Edit: I’m always astonished at what small teams can do (the original native versions of 1P was apparently built by two people, PocketCasts is ~2 people, Overcast is 1, PCcalc is 1, the entire Panic software team is like a dozen spread over several large software and hardware projects, etc.)

to be fair, it has made the windows app a million times better. it was really rough around the edges before. i honestly think if you're a windows user electron is an absolute blessing; who cares if it isn't 'native' if the native toolkits are an absolute mess?

unfortunately this levelling of the playing field seems to involve the mac taking a step back more often than not. i use both, so it's bittersweet.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
What's a good program to screen record with audio from the soundcard? I'd like to record google meets calls, but quicktime can only pick up audio from the mic. iPhone can do this natively, so I'm surprised I havent been able to find much decent mac software for this.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Generic Monk posted:

to be fair, it has made the windows app a million times better. it was really rough around the edges before. i honestly think if you're a windows user electron is an absolute blessing; who cares if it isn't 'native' if the native toolkits are an absolute mess?

unfortunately this levelling of the playing field seems to involve the mac taking a step back more often than not. i use both, so it's bittersweet.

The Windows experience has been SO much better. It still isn't super great, but the improvements have been welcome.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

TealShark posted:

Has anyone tried any of the other MacOS/iOS native 1Password alternatives, like Secrets?

Elpass on the Mac App Store is suspiciously similar to 1Password. I haven’t used it, not sure I trust it given the number of spelling/grammatical errors on their website and support material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Head Bee Guy posted:

What's a good program to screen record with audio from the soundcard? I'd like to record google meets calls, but quicktime can only pick up audio from the mic. iPhone can do this natively, so I'm surprised I havent been able to find much decent mac software for this.
IshowU or soundflower https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Recording_Computer_Playback_on_Mac