Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

GreenNight posted:

Before interview.

Then yes, you need way more than just 4. I think all of mine (at least the more covid-adjacent ones) have been in a bundle of 30-40 to get a handful of interviews, and only one recently has gotten me a job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Inner Light posted:

Is it this? https://devblogs.microsoft.com/scripting/use-a-csv-file-to-populate-parameters-of-powershell-cmdlets/

Will have to dive into this when I have a few minutes to learn it.

I don't trust throwing a CSV at it, I just populate the commands via excel and copy them into vscode or whatever and run them so I can see output. Here's an example:

code:
="New-ADUser -Name '"&D18&"' -GivenName '"&B18&"' -Surname '"&A18&"' -DisplayName '"&D18&"' -SamAccountName '"&C18&"' -UserPrincipalName '"&E18&"' -EmailAddress '"&F18&"' -Description '"&A$4&"' -AccountPassword (ConvertTo-SecureString -AsPlainText '"&A$3&"' -Force) -Enabled $true -ChangePasswordAtLogon $true -Path ""OU="&A$4&",OU=REDACTED,DC=REDACTED,DC=com""; Add-ADGroupMember -Identity '"&B$3&"' -Members '"&C18&"'"
Excel is weird with quotes so you have to do a lot of double quoting for it to read things as text input or reference cells. Add && outside for reference cells and a $ between the cell letter/number if you want it to stick instead of adjusting as you copy/paste down.

Here's an (edited) example of what it spits out:

code:
New-ADUser -Name 'Complete Loser' -GivenName 'Complete' -Surname 'Loser' -DisplayName 'Complete Loser' -SamAccountName 'Complete.Loser' -UserPrincipalName 'Complete.Loser@example.org' -EmailAddress 'Complete.Loser@example.org' -Description 'Loser' -AccountPassword (ConvertTo-SecureString -AsPlainText 'NoMoreMods' -Force) -Enabled $true -ChangePasswordAtLogon $true -Path "OU=TESTOU,OU=TESTCONTAINER,DC=EXAMPLE,DC=com"; Add-ADGroupMember -Identity 'loving Losers' -Members 'Complete.Loser'
There's some nuance to creating your own stuff, for instance: when I made this if I put the -enabled =$true BEFORE setting/converting the password it would create the accounts as deactivated for some reason, and obviously you need to break to a new command in some form before adding them to groups. Sometimes it would work if I piped it but more often than not it would yell at me about them not existing yet.

edit: In the above example, all I have to enter on the spreadsheet is givenname/surname. Everything else populates via reference cells so I can add a shitload of people extremely fast

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.core/about/about_splatting?view=powershell-7.1

seems easier

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Learning how to populate parameters in powershell commands via excel is the most powerful skill I have ever learned

Me too when I was heavy into mail migrations. Excel concat function is a godsend.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I feel like some of you are missing the point of using powershell to automate tasks, but maybe there are valid use cases that I’m not thinking of.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I can't tell if you're kidding or not but as something to pass along to a new person who knows very little about powershell or scripting it is still significantly faster than whatever this is and doesn't give them a headache

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The CEO has burned through yet another executive assistant. In 6.5 years he has had at least eight. A couple have migrated to other positions but the rest left when they were worn down to a nub. The transition always sucks, especially if they can't find someone right away and they dump the workload onto the other assistants.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

^^ Haven't you had your fill of criminally incompetent management yet? :wink:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

The CEO has burned through yet another executive assistant. In 6.5 years he has had at least eight. A couple have migrated to other positions but the rest left when they were worn down to a nub. The transition always sucks, especially if they can't find someone right away and they dump the workload onto the other assistants.

Hi, do we work at the same company because IT just got word today our CEOs executive assistants last day is friday.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

That CEO deserves the guillotine. In minecraft.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I can't tell if you're kidding or not but as something to pass along to a new person who knows very little about powershell or scripting it is still significantly faster than whatever this is and doesn't give them a headache

Building a hash is as easy as building strings in excel imho and as a bonus doesn't get hosed by excel localization. You'll only need some rudimentary loop logic to batch and can display the hash to verify output.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

It's the direction you'll probably want to be going, but you can still take pride in where you are right now.

I used to do something similar. I'd get an excel workbook from one guy, then I'd paste the data into my own workbook which would generate a bunch of commands, then I'd paste those commands into PowerShell.
But eventually, I cut that step out and my script would just read the original workbook, and I'd populate the commands by passing the cells into parameters.

And eventually I figured out where that workbook came from, and that the first guy spent a ton of time turning json data from an API into a workbook.
It didn't take much to rewrite my script to read from the API, and excel wasn't part of the process anymore.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's the direction you'll probably want to be going, but you can still take pride in where you are right now.

I used to do something similar. I'd get an excel workbook from one guy, then I'd paste the data into my own workbook which would generate a bunch of commands, then I'd paste those commands into PowerShell.
But eventually, I cut that step out and my script would just read the original workbook, and I'd populate the commands by passing the cells into parameters.

And eventually I figured out where that workbook came from, and that the first guy spent a ton of time turning json data from an API into a workbook.
It didn't take much to rewrite my script to read from the API, and excel wasn't part of the process anymore.

I could never get that to work correctly in a remote exchange shell, especially in 365. I just formatted the sheet as CSV to cut out all the formatting and localization and liberally used the concatenate function.

e: I hope like hell this doesn't become a trend in our industry, but considering the source who knows.

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1425545232347803663

Vax is one thing but to do a pay cut to WFH AND require vaccination is just purestrain wage theft with a side of HR insulating the company from lawsuits when workers catch covid and die.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 11, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Farking Bastage posted:

I could never get that to work correctly in a remote exchange shell, especially in 365. I just formatted the sheet as CSV to cut out all the formatting and localization and liberally used the concatenate function.

e: I hope like hell this doesn't become a trend in our industry, but considering the source who knows.

Vax is one thing but to do a pay cut to WFH AND require vaccination is just purestrain wage theft with a side of HR insulating the company from lawsuits when workers catch covid and die.

Companies that try to take 25% are just not going to get employees in this market.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Farking Bastage posted:

Wage-Theft bad, Ostracizing assholes from society who won't get with the program good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hate giving my employer an upper hand ever but if they started offering a pay cut for permanent WFH I'd really have to consider it. The percentage would have to be small though.. 25% is gently caress off territory. But 10%? I'd have to think hard about that one.

I generally enjoy this job and would love to stay on board long term, but I hate where we live and if I could gently caress off to another part of the country and not have to job hunt, that's worth something.

(also I'd counter that by not having me in the office they're saving on office space, power, hardware, and insurance so my pay cut should be adjusted by how much money that saves them)

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I can't decide between :toot: this place or if there is no point because every company is going to be about this aggressively mediocre.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I got handed a review that was a cut and paste of last year's with a couple of sentences changed around on a Standard PDF form from HR. I don't know how I should read into that, if at all. Anxiety from bad bosses paralyzes me in fear when I am quite happy where I am.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It's pretty common to take work location into account when deciding on what salary to pay. My company has location specific pay bands, as does the federal government. A US GOV GS14 step 1 in San Francisco makes 20% more than what someone in the same grade/step would in San Antonio. I know we pay people in high COL areas more than we do in low COL areas.

Maybe I'm out of touch, and I've never really lived in a high COL market, but if a tech company is paying developers a premium to have them come into their offices in ultra high COL environments, and you decide to move to Kansas City or Nashville, I think it's reasonable to adjust the pay accordingly.

I don't think tech workers have ever had as much power as they do now though, so I guess we'll see how it shakes out.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 11, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Farking Bastage posted:

I got handed a review that was a cut and paste of last year's with a couple of sentences changed around on a Standard PDF form from HR. I don't know how I should read into that, if at all. Anxiety from bad bosses paralyzes me in fear when I am quite happy where I am.

Don't read into it at all if it was overall positive. Your boss probably just wanted to do the bare minimum so HR wouldn't harass them to write a thing.

I basically had "Does good work, will continue be an asset to the company, would benefit from improving [nebulus buzzword here]" twice a year until I got promoted out of the department.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 11, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I said it before. Retroactively cutting pay because someone is now working from home is bullshit and shouldn't be tolerated.

That said, if we are going to embrace the WFH life we have to understand that talent in California and talent in bumfuck Wyoming are going to be competing with each other and one is going to be willing to accept a lower wage due to cost of living. It's going to be interesting to see how this shakes out long term. There are going to be a lot of people that get a real chance at having a better life without having to upend everything and relocate and they also could bring significant sources of outside money to communities that need it. However, it does have the potential to stagnate or depress the wages across the whole market for businesses that don't value people sitting in a particular city if supply in cheaper areas holds up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bull3964 posted:

I said it before. Retroactively cutting pay because someone is now working from home is bullshit and shouldn't be tolerated.

I agree, but when the alternative increasingly seems to be going back to 2019 status quo, some internal debate has to happen. What's worse, less money or commuting to sit in a cubicle farm for 40 hours?

I don't really have the leverage to take the cake and eat it too. Maybe if IT drones had a union we could do it, but..

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

bull3964 posted:

That said, if we are going to embrace the WFH life we have to understand that talent in California and talent in bumfuck Wyoming are going to be competing with each other and one is going to be willing to accept a lower wage due to cost of living. It's going to be interesting to see how this shakes out long term. There are going to be a lot of people that get a real chance at having a better life without having to upend everything and relocate and they also could bring significant sources of outside money to communities that need it. However, it does have the potential to stagnate or depress the wages across the whole market for businesses that don't value people sitting in a particular city if supply in cheaper areas holds up.

But could it also have the effect of lowering cost of living in traditionally higher-cost areas? There's the downward pressure on wages due to an abundance of remote talent, sure - but I always assumed that part of the reason those higher-cost areas were more expensive was because of the higher demand to live there precisely because of the job opportunities and earning potential.

It will eventually reach an equilibrium, it's just a question of which group of workers gets hosed over in the beginning.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MustardFacial posted:

I think Jira should be burned down.
It's frustrating but not completely awful in day-to-day usage, but I tried adding a couple custom fields to a form today and it took like 75-90 minutes in this motherfucker

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Atlassian just bought everything they could that smelled like collaboration, I swear. Confluence seems ok. I use that for switch template configs that have passwords in them because you can specify down to individual AD accounts who can see the passwords in it.

It lets me have a full config around for new people to learn from without worrying about an unmasked password hanging out in a flat file somewhere.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Podima posted:

I feel like there must be legal recourse for this (for you, not them) somehow?

It's going to really bite them in the rear end the next time they have to re-up their franchise agreement with the city (basically we have to agree to let them operate in our municipality).
But besides that I don't think the powers that be really care all that much. Honestly I don't mind hosting their poo poo, but I have a real problem with them putting one over on us while completely loving up their network transformation project.

Also it would be a real shame if someone "accidentally" tripped over the power cord of that rack like a couple times a month.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

LochNessMonster posted:

Somebody set up a group buy....

I'm not a nerd who puts stickers on my work laptop, but if you're one of those, there are similar etsy stickers

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I just finished a phone interview with the current I.T. person at the place I'm interested in working. First interview in over six years and I was worried that I'd be rusty but I think it went well. He's leaving to move to another state to care for in-laws, but said he wished he could stay because he's been treated well.

He sounded like a decent, knowledgeable person and the conversation went smoothly. A small business needing an in-house I.T. person to manage everything and lead an MSP... that's what I've been doing for over ten years now. He's done good work in bringing them up to par, and he was nice enough to tell me which major projects were underway or pending. Not used to getting so much background when exploring a job opportunity.

He wrapped up by asking me 20 questions and they were reasonable and appropriate for this sort of work. No gotchas or esoteric nonsense and I got them all right.

No idea what sort of competition I have, no idea if the environment will be any better than any of my other crap jobs, but at least it was a pleasant experience that did not leave me feeling foolish for pursuing it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

:yotj:

Just got a verbal offer which is around a 16% raise (with potential 10.5% bonus) for an internal position (coming out of MSP lyfe). Going to talk tomorrow to them about benefits and such but definitely was a good end to the day.

Probably left like 5k on the table thanks to the recruiting company sending them the lowend of what I was looking for to start with, that will probably haunt me for years, but meh whatever if I get out of my current MSP hell.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I've complained in this thread before about the quality of my colleagues and my bosses inability to hire good talent. I am now involved in hiring decisions. Aside from posting positions that pay tons of money, how do I select for people that can handle autonomy and learning new things in the Windows generalist space? I want people who when I say 'We need to roll out a new log management server' or 'we are several CUs behind on our on-prem Exchange, and two full OS versions behind on ADFS, figure out how to get from here to there' they are actually useful and effective. My colleagues to date have ticked off many of the technology boxes (2 years experience VMWare, 3 years experience managing AD, 1 year experience WSUS or whatever) but the people we keep hiring can sometimes handle CRUD operations and not much more.

Obviously, part of the answer is pay tons of money, but what else is part of the answer? Also, what would you all expect to pay or be paid to be a competent Windows generalist in a medium-high COL area who can learn a) how to become SMEs for elements of our tech stack that they dont know yet and b) identify shortcomings in our infrastructure / security posture / whatever and propose and implement solutions?

Edit: I want to pay people tons of money. I dont know what my budget is. Just to be clear.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 13, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Not being able to get good people is usually a money issue. There are cases where maybe your company outlook doesn't look good due to a google search, but otherwise you aren't getting the right candidates to apply. In this market, good candidates aren't ever going to apply because your competitors are reaching out to them directly. I haven't clicked the apply button to a single job I have gotten in years. If your internal recruiters are seeking these folks out or you aren't levering a good 3rd party service, you chances are nil.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yeah, company outlook….having a first call with a new recruiter tomorrow and he finally sent me the listing he was trolling for. Hard pass on that posting, a coworker came from there two years ago then they had layoffs. Even if I didn’t already know it as a train wreck internally from my coworker, a couple of years post layoffs is a bad situation to walk in to no matter the company IMO.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Hire people you know? I keep getting offers from former coworkers cause I was good.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MF_James posted:

:yotj:

Just got a verbal offer which is around a 16% raise (with potential 10.5% bonus) for an internal position (coming out of MSP lyfe). Going to talk tomorrow to them about benefits and such but definitely was a good end to the day.

Probably left like 5k on the table thanks to the recruiting company sending them the lowend of what I was looking for to start with, that will probably haunt me for years, but meh whatever if I get out of my current MSP hell.

Congrats on the new job! That’s wonderful for you. I would advise to never give a salary range to an employer or recruiter. All it shows is that you don’t know how to negotiate and are willing to settle for less. Give your high end number, and negotiate upwards or downwards from there.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Happiness Commando posted:

I've complained in this thread before about the quality of my colleagues and my bosses inability to hire good talent. I am now involved in hiring decisions. Aside from posting positions that pay tons of money, how do I select for people that can handle autonomy and learning new things in the Windows generalist space? I want people who when I say 'We need to roll out a new log management server' or 'we are several CUs behind on our on-prem Exchange, and two full OS versions behind on ADFS, figure out how to get from here to there' they are actually useful and effective. My colleagues to date have ticked off many of the technology boxes (2 years experience VMWare, 3 years experience managing AD, 1 year experience WSUS or whatever) but the people we keep hiring can sometimes handle CRUD operations and not much more.

Obviously, part of the answer is pay tons of money, but what else is part of the answer? Also, what would you all expect to pay or be paid to be a competent Windows generalist in a medium-high COL area who can learn a) how to become SMEs for elements of our tech stack that they dont know yet and b) identify shortcomings in our infrastructure / security posture / whatever and propose and implement solutions?

Edit: I want to pay people tons of money. I dont know what my budget is. Just to be clear.

I'm only Windows adjacent, and my experience is with smaller enterprise environments. At that level, the right senior admin can make an outsized difference. I'd be looking for someone that's migrated their company to Exchange 365, with moving their environment to Azure/AWS as a major plus. Ask them what environment they support, and projects they've done in the past two years, and whether they were lead or just a contributor. That'll let you know whether they just coast, or have some initiative. It'll also give a hint whether they're the kind that chases "fun" projects while their environment languishes.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Iron Rose posted:

Congrats on the new job! That’s wonderful for you. I would advise to never give a salary range to an employer or recruiter. All it shows is that you don’t know how to negotiate and are willing to settle for less. Give your high end number, and negotiate upwards or downwards from there.

Yeah, I got a bit complacent with this recruiter because another one I work with is super awesome and definitely always submitted at the highest range possible for each job.

Honestly, if any Chicagoons want an awesome recruiter, I'd definitely recommend her and pass along her/your info; it's super funny because she works for TekSystems and goon stories made me wary but she is honestly awesome.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I had a recruiter call for Tek here in Madison and the guy told me I was overpaid for what I do and couldn’t help me.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

At this point in time I would be wary to hire someone that hasn’t got native or hybrid experience in 365 as a windows generalist. A quick ice breaker question could be “your firm is 100% on premise, what would you suggesting to execute on infrastructure planning and why” and I would cut off anyone going 100% onprem.

Also I would try to create real life tests to asses the problem solving prowess rather than asking random questions, windows docs are plentiful and it’s easy to brain dump without knowing how to really solve issues.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It sounds like you're sort of being half delegated a task (half because the budget is being kept from you) but presumably aren't being paid any more to now do the job of a hiring manager for them? I think you need to ask yourself if you want to put all this effort into managing upwards or if there's a better alternative for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Not knowing what the budget is for a position you're recruiting for is just absurd. They've decided how much they're willing to spend or they wouldn't be hiring, and if you don't know it there's no way you can assess the actual candidates you get through the door.