Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Gavok posted:

Not counting What If: Annihilation. We go into it thinking that it's 616 Uatu showing us this alternate universe. In the end, it's the guilt-ridden Uatu of that world showing everyone on Earth the story because everyone needs to bear witness to Cap, Iron Man and Nova's inspiring sacrifice for the sake of worldwide morale in the face of tragedy.

God, I love that issue.

Side note, my fiancé asked me what What If…? comics were about and I explained that there was an entertaining article series written by a guy I knew about who read all of them, and the short answer was, “how many ways can Spider-Man die?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Sanschel posted:

Side note, my fiancé asked me what What If…? comics were about and I explained that there was an entertaining article series written by a guy I knew about who read all of them, and the short answer was, “how many ways can Spider-Man die?”

Are you gonna link us to that article series, bud?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I always liked the Punisher What If?s because his family inevitably died no matter what.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thought the What If was pretty weak, dialogue, plotting, visuals, etc. Did like super strong lady Captain Britain tho.

Hope the next one is better written. Felt like I was watching a Star Wars CGI thing which is absolutely not for me.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dr.D-O posted:

Are you gonna link us to that article series, bud?

The article series is nearly 15 years old and I'm afraid of it not aging well.

So instead here's a guest article I did for Comfort Food Comics about how What If: Annihilation is my comic book comfort food.

And here's a thing I did on the top 100 What If moments.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Most of the reviews I've seen by people who've gotten to see the first three episodes agree that the first ep is the weakest. So if you didn't like this one, see if the second episode works better for you. And if you did like the first one, hey, apparently it gets even better!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

site posted:

horny for huge Captain Carter

that's it, that's the review

I did like how they made Peggy get huge, I guess that's one of the benefits of doing a cartoon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really liked it, and if that was the weakest, I'm definitely looking forward to more.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

jng2058 posted:

Most of the reviews I've seen by people who've gotten to see the first three episodes agree that the first ep is the weakest. So if you didn't like this one, see if the second episode works better for you. And if you did like the first one, hey, apparently it gets even better!

Here's hoping. Def going to try it again next week.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Apparently Lake Bell does Black Widow for the later episodes, which seems like she's probably not gonna be as uncanny a soundalike as Josh Keaton was for Evans, but she'll probably nail ScarJo's deadpan delivery.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm certain I read a comic that the whole castle ending was pulled from. Anyone else remember it, know what I'm talking about?

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
Really upsetting Howard Stark never shouted, “Do the thing!”

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Jagermonster posted:

Really upsetting Howard Stark never shouted, “Do the thing!”

Thank you! I knew the voice and the character were suited for each other but I couldn’t figure out why I thought so.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Is that something he said in the movies that I'm forgetting?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

X-O posted:

Is that something he said in the movies that I'm forgetting?

It’s a reference to another character the voice actor is responsible for, Varrick from The Legend of Korra, who is similarly a mad science tech bro billionaire.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dominic Cooper did not voice Varrick, that was the excellent John Michael Higgins

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Arist posted:

Dominic Cooper did not voice Varrick, that was the excellent John Michael Higgins

I guess I was assuming Dominic Cooper didn’t reprise and was replaced by JMH, my bad.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Klungar posted:

I guess I was assuming Dominic Cooper didn’t reprise and was replaced by JMH, my bad.

I only noticed because I'm watching it right now and Dominic Cooper's actually in the opening credits.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So... do we think they're all going to be that fun, or did Captain Carter just get a boost by being 30 minutes of Nazis getting the absolute poo poo murdered out of them in new and inventive ways?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There were some fun parts to that episode, but overall it was just okay.

Looking forward to the Marvel Zombies episode the most, I think.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The animation really reminded me of the old MTV Spider-Man animated series.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I quite enjoyed that What If...? went the whole "ripples" direction and made a bunch of changes and got weird with it. Kept me good and engaged and wondering what happens next. Not mind blowing or anything but fun. Definitely more interested in this series after that episode.

I also enjoy that the ripple changes line up with MCU stuff. Hydra Smasher = Iron Monger. Skull's interdimensional Hydra monster = Agents of SHIELD's interdimensional Hydra monster. Just fun little use of the big world they have and look forward to seeing more of stuff like that.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 12, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I can understand people thought the first episode was kinda corny, but I got the feeling it was very intentional and in keeping with the tone of the first Cap movie. This assumption of mine is partly based on the fact that a lot of the effects they used for Iron Steve reminded me a great deal of the Iron Giant.That and, as an anthology series, it's probably not going to drill super down into the details of any specific story. Though I can understand if there are people disappointed with how it doesn't seem to be aiming to be as edgy as the What If comics tend to be.

As far as a first effort for Marvel Studios animation (and not that tasteless gray Marvel paste that's been airing on regular TV) I thought it was very promising

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

The animation really reminded me of the old MTV Spider-Man animated series.

I sorta see it, but that was so, so much worse.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lobok posted:

I'm certain I read a comic that the whole castle ending was pulled from. Anyone else remember it, know what I'm talking about?

You prob remembered it bc its a stale cliche, nazi's bringing in a generic Cthulu in a foreboding castle. Its in a million comics and I think Hellboy made a series about it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The usual suspects are verklempt about Large Peggy as those Steve's serum also didn't give him like a foot and half plus several pounds of muscle too. You love to see it.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I think the Watcher should have a big nerd voice. A lot of the movie actors are not good at voice acting. The like sixth time they did a "a *dame,* fightin'?" bit probably could have been cut. The whole thing looks like "the Red Skull will remember this" should be popping up in the corner after you pick a dialogue option.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Shageletic posted:

You prob remembered it bc its a stale cliche, nazi's bringing in a generic Cthulu in a foreboding castle. Its in a million comics and I think Hellboy made a series about it

It's very similar to the captain america episode in the avengers EMH cartoon.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kingtheninja posted:

It's very similar to the captain america episode in the avengers EMH cartoon.

Oh I think you're right! My memory seemed unusually vivid because I tend to be crap at remembering comics.

Skwirl posted:

I sorta see it, but that was so, so much worse.

Totally, I don't mean it was identical. This was better in every regard.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Karma Tornado posted:

I think the Watcher should have a big nerd voice.

He threw me a bit when he called Steve a “skinny kid” at the beginning of the episode, just felt weird to have a vast cosmic observer speak so casually.

I also briefly confused Jeffrey Wright with Jeffrey Combs when I saw the name in the opening and was disappointed when he started speaking.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But Wright is the cooler one.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Aphrodite posted:

Combs is still pretty cool. I half expected Uatu to sound like Dr Nidaba from Venture Bros.

Either way the autist in me is disappointed in their ripple logic. So if Preggy stays in the room the Hydra spy uses a bomb instead of shooting and he makes his move before Steve gets juiced instead of after...because there was a woman near by? Had he at least noticed her clocking him I could see him springing the trap early but no, it's an entirely different plan.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

What are you talking about? The Hydra spy detonates the bomb when the observation room is empty in both timelines. The difference is when the room is empty, in the original timeline it's after the experiment and in the Captain Carter timeline it's before.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Nah

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jeffrey Wright is free of the stain of Star Trek.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'll take that over Wright's entrepreneurial ventures

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Titans roped me in again. Every season I start interested and am sick of the show by the end. The trailer for season 3 looked pretty great and after one episode I'm still interested!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I had to run away from the board because I hadn't seen Loki and still haven't seen Black Widow, but I did manage to get through Loki and started What If. Both really fun. I always liked What If comics as a kid.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

Apparently Lake Bell does Black Widow for the later episodes, which seems like she's probably not gonna be as uncanny a soundalike as Josh Keaton was for Evans, but she'll probably nail ScarJo's deadpan delivery.

She's really good as Poison Ivy in Harley Quinn so that's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Combs is still pretty cool. I half expected Uatu to sound like Dr Nidaba from Venture Bros.

Either way the autist in me is disappointed in their ripple logic. So if Preggy stays in the room the Hydra spy uses a bomb instead of shooting and he makes his move before Steve gets juiced instead of after...because there was a woman near by? Had he at least noticed her clocking him I could see him springing the trap early but no, it's an entirely different plan.

That felt off to me too.

On the whole I liked the first episode, but I'm not sold on the animation

twistedmentat posted:

She's really good as Poison Ivy in Harley Quinn so that's awesome.

Hell yeah!