Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Do the Samsung trade-in program usually stick around? I have a Fossil Sport that is not very responsive anymore (not that it was super fast to begin with, but it's gotten much worse).

The trade ins usually do but the preorder bonuses will go away ($50 in accessory money right now). Personally, the list of available accessories I don't feel is that great so the $50 is kinda wasted. I wish you could use it on bands, but you can't.

Another thing. ECG is still locked to Galaxy smartphones since the app required to do it is only on the Samsung store. I'm going to guess this is a regulatory thing, that the app has to be tested with the phone since it's a heath device.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So, I don't know anything about smart watches, but I'm in the market for a new watch and I figure why not get one that I can look at my texts on. Before I jump onboard, though, I'm wondering:

1) The list of LTE carriers has AT&T on itif I use Straight Talk, is that compatible since it uses the AT&T network? Or would I have to use AT&T as my primary carrier?

2) Does getting the LTE model mean that I can leave my phone at home (assuming I have a compatible network)?

3) If so, can I still make phone calls using bluetooth headphones?

4) Am I going to be forced to touch anything else from the Samsung Ecosystem if I have a Pixel 4?

Mostly I'm just curious to what degree I can detach from my phone occasionally and leave it at home. And also I don't want Samsung showing me ads or making me use Bixby or something. 90% of the time I'd just be using it as a fashion accessory that can show me the time and be a quick text preview.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 11, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No one knows yet on #4 until we get a full out of box setup review somewhere. The assumption is that it will just use the wearOS app for connectivity, but who knows if there are still Samsung plugins or if they ask for a samsung login during setup. It's still a OneUI skinned device.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Len posted:

Source?

One of them semi reliable leakers, I think Weinbach?

Dollarydoos=Australian dollars. Why would I be talking about American dollars, silly seppos.

Edit, leak was correct, btw

We don't get it until mid September either.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 11, 2021

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Catching up on the news after waking up... There's no google assistant at launch?!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Correct, this is the statement from Samsung.

quote:

We’re working closely with Google to bring those popular Google services to Galaxy Watch4 series. We will share more details once they’re ready.

There DOES appear to be a spot in settings to choose default assistant. Presumably this is a thing that Google hasn't finished making yet.

The YouTube music app didn't appear on the hands on devices either, but that could change in the next few weeks.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Presumably this is a thing that Google hasn't finished making yet.

Oh cool, it'll be ready in time for the Watch8 then.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I'm really unsure of what watch to get.

I've had a Moto360 2 and a Fossil Carlyle.

Classic looks a little too bulky and I'm not sold on the sporty version.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm really glad I didn't put too much hope into the watch 4 as it's pretty disappointing.

Like clearly better than Tizen as usual but kinda ugly on the exterior and nothing mind-blowing inside either.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

nothing mind-blowing inside either.

Seriously? What the gently caress were you expecting?

This thing has 4x the storage of nearly every android watch out there, a gig and a half of ram, a brand new state of the art SoC on the latest manufacturing process, a whole new suite of sensors.

I fail to see what wasn't included that's not in the realm of science fiction.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I was expecting a more interesting/innovative UI that actually had wear os features like Google assistant. Don't get me wrong it's fine and an upgrade, but I definitely don't regret buying a regular watch a few weeks ago now.

Sounds like Canada only gets the black version too. I'm assuming the same for Australia when we can pre-order.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Catching up on the news after waking up... There's no google assistant at launch?!

Not like it works on a bunch of people's current watches anyway

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's the point of the Fitbit app on a smartwatch, when it doesn't use the watches sensors for anything?

Part of it is probably just to get a MVP out of the door (the article does prefix that with *this year*). The other likely reason is that Google is still early in the process of ingesting/Googlifying Fitbit so are still hammering out the details on what their roadmap is and which software/features to keep exclusive. i.e. They risk not being able to differentiate their own brand trackers/watches if they go too far down one direction (and they're already in a pretty bad place). Then again, every Wear OS device becoming a de facto Fitbit would allow them to sell more subscriptions which would also make sense. So they're just being conservative while they feel out where they want to go.

FWIW it does seem as though Google Fit is on course to being Google Video'd into Fitbit one way or another, with Fitbit becoming the general consumer health brand. Plenty of smoke, such as multiple Google Fit Googler's changing their profiles over to Fitbit, including the head of the platform itself.

feedmyleg posted:

2) Does getting the LTE model mean that I can leave my phone at home (assuming I have a compatible network)?

3) If so, can I still make phone calls using bluetooth headphones?

Yeah, current LTE Wear OS 2 devices already do this. Notification bridging and standalone apps switching over to cellular works as expected. The issue has historically been with the sporadic support for sharing the same number across Watch and Phone, since that requires intervention by the carrier (e.g. in UK/Europe only Vodafone supported unified number for the TicWatch Pro 3 LTE). Samsung should have enough power to sign those deals for the Watch4.

quote:

4) Am I going to be forced to touch anything else from the Samsung Ecosystem if I have a Pixel 4?

Seems to me that if you're allergic to Samsung you're better off just waiting, Watch4 is a Samsung product which just happens to run WearOS. According to 9to5Google it can't even be set up via the Wear OS app:

quote:

Like when Samsung was using Tizen, the new Galaxy Watch 4 based on Wear OS uses Samsungs Galaxy Wearable app to get connected to your phone. The Wear OS app from Google will not see or be able to interact with the Galaxy Watch 4 in any capacity.

https://9to5google.com/2021/08/11/galaxy-watch-4-pairing-process-wear-os/

To be fair on Samsung that's all on Google, they were subtly saying this to journalists back in May:

quote:

Many of these changes will arrive later this year alongside the launch of the new Wear, but some updateslike a redesigned Google Assistantwill come in early 2022.

https://www.wired.com/story/google-wear-os-io-samsung-fitbit-partnership/

Makes you wonder if Prosser's supposed "Pixel Watch" will launch in Fall, since the negative articles would pretty much write themselves if they launched it without GA. Branding it as a Fitbit Sense/Versa would maybe give that a pass, but the acquistion seems too early for that. Or maybe they'll do it Pixel Buds 2 style: soft announcement and then actually ship months later after everyones forgot about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's really zero evidence that a Pixel watch exists.

It would be EXCEEDINGLY weird for Google to stand on stage with Samsung as a launch partner for WearOS 3.0 and then turn around and put out a watch a month later.

I think the fact that you have to use a Samsung app to setup the watch shows that Google isn't ready for a WearOS 3.0 device without someone else gluing it together with their own software.

Sheds light on why others aren't going to have an update untill mid 2022.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Prosser seems to have legit insider google info so I think they're at least experimenting with a pixel watch.

Google assistant is already on my wife's Fitbit versa 3.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Prosser seems to have legit insider google info so I think they're at least experimenting with a pixel watch.

haven't they been saying pixel watch soon for like three years?

they being various headlines and websites i've seen cross my news feed

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
So I ordered a Watch 4 and I payed with google pay, but I never got an email confirmation. I don't see the transaction in google pay, but I do see the pending transaction on my credit card.

I don't think it ever asked me to log in, so I guess I check out as a guest? Any ideas on how I can check on my order?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You should have an order number that your got at checkout.

Their poo poo is all jacked with confirmations coming hours after order.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah I got the email confirmation after like 6 hours, no big deal

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

What accessories can you even get with the $50 samsung bucks?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Len posted:

Yes, the Pixel Watch has been a rumor for a while now.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Cao Ni Ma posted:

What accessories can you even get with the $50 samsung bucks?

Almost one earbud.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Len posted:

Yes but this time Prosser had a render of what it looked like, along with the Pixel 6, the latter of which was completely accurate

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There hasn't been any hardware leaks at all, so any Pixel watch is probably at LEAST six months away if at all. Dude is wrong just as much as he's right.

I also doubt it will be running W920 either. Maybe it will be a reference design for SD5100 or something, but that puts it further out.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Browsing around SD and saw someone mention 12% cash back on Samsung. Com if you use rakuten so if you're going to order you might give that a try.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This video goes through the whole set up process. it's definitely wear os

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRrnqrYehRg

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's interesting it uses the galaxy wearable app with a plugin for watch 4 because the setup really feels like wearOS. I think this again is Google not having the general app ready for this launch.

I am happy to see that the galaxy watches retain the ability to backup/restore.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
A more charitable explanation would be that Google have created a new Wear OS operator tier which allows OEMs to use their own companion app instead of the Wear OS app if they so choose to.

The status quo is that OEMs already create defacto phone companion apps to interface with their custom preloaded watch apps/services, so Google modularizing the phone setup/admin processes and allowing OEMs to embed them makes quite a bit of sense on multiple fronts:

• For the average user, it cuts down the number of phone apps down to just one instead of being split between across two arbitrarily.
  • For OEMs/brands it allows them greater ownership of the customer.
  • It's alot easier for OEMs/brands to keep up the pretence that their smartwatch isn't generic when the 1st run experience isn't to send the user to a store listing with hundreds of people complaining about their particular model of watch

The only segment this sort of approach would be a step back for is those who have multiple watches since if it became widespread, the Wear OS app's dropdown becomes less and less universal since it only sees your Wear OS 1/2 and "Stock" Wear OS 3+ devices so you'd have to bounce around more to do phone management.

Another possibility is that he could be half-right but its branded as a "Android Developer Watch", ADW-1. That would allow them to get around the enemic 1st party support and rough edges unscathed, not compete with Samsung and get developers to build up an ecosystem for the 2022 launch all in one swoop.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bull3964 posted:

I think this again is Google not having the general app ready for this launch.
What else is new.

After poo poo like ditching GPM before YTM is feature-complete, or releasing a newer version of Chromecast, which their fancy game streaming service is reliant on, and then not implementing support for it for months, nothing surprises me. There's probably more, but I only remember those two.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 13, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
after years of watching friends get high end smart watches and then ultimately decide they're useless six months later, I decided it was finally my turn

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Of course my wife's Active 2 shits the bed just before we can trade it in.

Seems like a lot of other people are in the same boat... Light usage in water does water damage, even when in "waterproof mode".

Wonderful!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
beh. I cancelled my preorder.

I care about the ekg stuff but I don't want to buy a samsung phone and also this clearly isn't the "real" wearOS 3 launch.

I'll wait a few months and maybe get a fitbit.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

So no Google Pay, no Google Assistant, none of the health features for non-Samsung users makes this sound like a better Galaxy Watch if you were already into that sort of thing and big pile of nothing if you want a better Wear OS device.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One health feature is not available to people without a Samsung phone, not all.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

bull3964 posted:

One health feature is not available to people without a Samsung phone, not all.

Sure, but it's the EKG functionality so if you care about health tracker stuff it's a bummer and a reason to get a fitbit, or, if you are not in a desperate hurry, wait and see if Google unfucks WearOS over the next 2 quarters and we get other devices.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That body fat stuff works without a phone? I mean, the EKG stuff also works entirely on the watch, and yet it's gated on phone ownership.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The ECG requires regulatory approval and that's likely the reason why it's gated to Samsung phones. Not saying it's impossible to be phone agnostic about it since Fitbit and Alivecor are doing it, but depending on how Samsung implemented it and the regulatory process behind it, it may only be certified to be used with Samsung phones.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ECG stuff is never approved here on anything so it's a non factor. :australia:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
ECG seems like the sort of thing you either don't need or need something actually medical, not a smartwatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

sourdough posted:

ECG seems like the sort of thing you either don't need or need something actually medical, not a smartwatch

if I have access to the data stream it's a pretty easy way to track my weed consumption, I don't need a medical device for that but it's all kinda interesting metadatas

the fact that this launch and the new wearOS seems to be the perpetual Alphabet dog and pony show where the dogs are still being groomed when they are on camera and the ponies are actually zerbras with the white stripes painted black, is more of a concern for me, though