Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

THE BAR posted:

It was either that or selling canned goods, or whatever it was he was doing after his first failed game.

He has told multiple versions of his origin story, so pick whichever you like best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

He's also mentioned alcohol abuse being the reason he left EA, so maybe he literally can't remember due to a drunken haze.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
being forced into making false statements by your publisher is kind of a leopards ate my face situation.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Zaphod42 posted:

And even Cyberpunk, the people in those deep dives weren't really "lying" because they had plans to build those things, and half-built or even mostly-built lots of it, but they had to rush release and cut lots of things because they were buggy and even then it was crazy buggy. But they didn't lie, they just didn't know that the management would rush it out the door without letting them build all the things they'd already designed and advertised.

To get back to MMO chat, I've never actually played dark age of camelot but I've heard so many things about it, its one of the few big MMOs I've never at least tried. I should try to find a private server because it really does seem like the best Realm vs Realm MMO ever from how everybody talks about it.

Be a rebel and play Dark Age of Camelot on the live, PVE server, Gaheris

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

He has told multiple versions of his origin story, so pick whichever you like best.

"Do you want to know how I got these scars? It was a canned tuna mishap, that's why I switched to game dev."

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

being forced into making false statements by your publisher is kind of a leopards ate my face situation.
In Molyneux's case it wasn't due to his publishers, in fact IIRC there's a couple times he was asked by EA to dial it back. I think there's just something in Guildford's water that pushes local devs to spout the wildest bullshit whenever they're in front of a journalist or camera.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

drat there is nothing to play until Lost Ark comes out and there will probably be nothing to play then either.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fame Douglas posted:

If you think about it, Molyneux never lied, either. He totally wanted to deliver a product that would fulfill all of his promises, he just was never able to.

No, his continual "the next game though!" Is definitely a lie when you do it 8 times in a row.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Zaphod42 posted:

No, his continual "the next game though!" Is definitely a lie when you do it 8 times in a row.

really, the only thing we need to conclude about this is that one should never, ever preorder games. wait before buying or day-1 it is a debate, but just never preorder stuff sight unseen

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

100 degrees Calcium posted:

drat there is nothing to play until Lost Ark comes out and there will probably be nothing to play then either.

This thread makes more sense if you apply Betteridge's Law of Headlines to its title.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Was Ragnarok Online ever P2P only? If so, when did it become free-to-play? I could swear there was a point at which it was P2P only with a month-long free trial. I think I might've tried it again a few years later and stopped because it didn't allow you to travel far without a grind.

I was looking at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919365

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it was definitely p2p way too long, i know because i refused to spend monies on it after beta and instead just played on private servers

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I don't think I ever payed for Ragnarok, but I also may have always been playing on private servers I can't remember for sure

I had my own private server of Ragnarok for a few months for shits and giggles, so it was definitely a thing a looooong time ago

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Ragnarok Online is one of the items in a long list of games I wish I could have played when it was hot.

Other people have nostalgia for MMOs they played as a teen or young adult. I have nostalgia for reading about MMOs and wishing I could play them.

In either case, the modern reality rarely holds up.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there's some private servers with old ro experience, and it still holds up really well in a "janky but fun mmo arpg" way, IMO, but when you have a choice between path of exile on fun janky arpg side and ff14 on fun mmo side, even when free it's not so good lol

new RO classes are unfun poo poo though, years of power creep mean you farm most areas casually, rather than always being moments away from terrible disaster.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ragnarok Online is one of the items in a long list of games I wish I could have played when it was hot.

Other people have nostalgia for MMOs they played as a teen or young adult. I have nostalgia for reading about MMOs and wishing I could play them.

Ragnarok had cool sprites. That's about the end of my praise for it. It was a game.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Truga posted:

there's some private servers with old ro experience, and it still holds up really well in a "janky but fun mmo arpg" way, IMO, but when you have a choice between path of exile on fun janky arpg side and ff14 on fun mmo side, even when free it's not so good lol

new RO classes are unfun poo poo though, years of power creep mean you farm most areas casually, rather than always being moments away from terrible disaster.

i boot up OriginsRO (a classic private server) every once in a while. it's nostalgic and fun, and i think people should play it. there are a lot of modern convenience features built into the server like being able to run a shop while offline, instant price checks, maps, an item/enemy database, etc. which help the game be much less aimless and confusing

galenanorth posted:

Was Ragnarok Online ever P2P only? If so, when did it become free-to-play? I could swear there was a point at which it was P2P only with a month-long free trial. I think I might've tried it again a few years later and stopped because it didn't allow you to travel far without a grind.

I was looking at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919365

yeah RO was subscription-based for a long long time, but they let the english open beta run for so long that people got used to the game being free and just threw up private servers when the beta ended. the fraction of the playerbase that ever played on official paid servers vs private servers must be more skewed toward private for RO than any other MMO

btw the server in that link, essenceRO, is a 75x rate server. basically this means the gameplay is so hyper-accelerated that you'll punch an orc and get 5 levels and a rare hat every time. fun if you're craving that endgame RO experience right now, but not much of a reflection on the game as it was. 1x rates were abusively low, but something in the 5-10x range feels fine.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 14, 2021

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

The past reality didn't hold up - how many people actually bothered with holocrons when it told them to go master Chef? And of those that did, how many didn't have at least one nervous breakdown during the grind?

Old-style MMOs largely got phased out for a reason; their main mechanical descendants are gacha games now, and thank god for that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
RO was a janky arpg that had to run on early 00s internets with 100 people on the map, so it's somewhat slow to play for an arpg, but makes up for it imo in enemy density and pve build diversity. clearing maps for hours on end is still pretty fun in itself because you're always at risk of dying regardless of what map you're on because RO doesn't have ridiculous level scaling of a wow clone where being 10 levels above someone means they can't even touch you. if something gave you decent xp, it's likely also a threat regardless of level gap.

it also didn't have the "you only get xp from enemies that are +- 3 levels" bullshit going on though, so you had a shitton of options. this leads to fun things like leveling mages in glast prison while being level 30 and getting big chunks of a level for every kill, and also dying to a single hit, or chilling out and leveling your level 90 hunter in that same prison because for a lv90 hunter it's a relatively chill experience and still ok xp/h for the effort

and that's RO in a nutshell. 99% of the game is leveling fun or dumb builds in fun or dumb ways. i probably won't play it again now that path of exile does "farm maps with janky builds forever" loop better, but if poe didn't exist i'd probably still play every now and then.

and yeah agreed that ~5x rates is just about right, can hit level 75 in a couple hours if you know what's up so you can quickly test out builds, but hitting 90+ takes long enough that you can do some grinding if you feel like it, whereas 1x rates just feel slow for no reason. i don't think i'd have played official ro even if i could pay for it back then because lol @ that grind

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Truga posted:

RO was a janky arpg that had to run on early 00s internets with 100 people on the map, so it's somewhat slow to play for an arpg, but makes up for it imo in enemy density and pve build diversity. clearing maps for hours on end is still pretty fun in itself because you're always at risk of dying regardless of what map you're on because RO doesn't have ridiculous level scaling of a wow clone where being 10 levels above someone means they can't even touch you. if something gave you decent xp, it's likely also a threat regardless of level gap.

it also didn't have the "you only get xp from enemies that are +- 3 levels" bullshit going on though, so you had a shitton of options. this leads to fun things like leveling mages in glast prison while being level 30 and getting big chunks of a level for every kill, and also dying to a single hit, or chilling out and leveling your level 90 hunter in that same prison because for a lv90 hunter it's a relatively chill experience and still ok xp/h for the effort

Apologies to interrupt RO chat, but this reminds me of something from one of my formative MMO experiences.

9Dragons was (and still is!) a janky wuxia KMMO. Not Age of Wushu level interesting or janky, especially on the mechanics front which was really basic tab targeting and a hotclick bar full of abilities, but still satisfying enough as a vehicle for punching dudes and grinding levels.

You couldn't get any xp from a mob that was more than 5 levels weaker than you, but you could get xp from grinding enemies that were above your level. So one of the best tactics as a low level "mage" was to go to what for that time was a high level map (Hangzhou, because of the specific enemy positioning, even though there was another equivalent tier map) with super strong but super slow zombie enemies and just repeatedly spam your chi blasts for minutes on end until the mob dropped dead and you got 1/3 of a level.

I went back years later and found the technique had evolved for later maps so even non-mages could sort of "scuba dive power level" at mid-tier - in order to keep up with late game enemies, Healer buffs had become so powerful that as long as you had good equipment for your level and a high level friend willing to slap on a round of buffs, you could just sit on an endgame map at the edge of a safe zone, smack 2-3 enemies for 1% of a level per mob (this was amazing for that point in the game) and then run back to get healed.

EDIT: Apparently the English community's since fragmented into a confusing mess of servers with the most "official" ones being the one that managed to grab the spot on Steam and a different one which released this spring that has the original Korean developer's backing and is trying to revamp some elements of the early game. From there it spirals off into an endless private server diaspora of people alternating between trying to recreate the first version of the original game complete with its horrible grind, and more sensible options that aren't as P2W as the Steam version, but had the misfortune of coming out before the semi-officially backed reworking was announced and don't know whether to fold into that or if it can't be trusted and so they should remain.

Which is to say, the most typical mid-2000s MMO development ever.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 14, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Good Dumplings posted:

The past reality didn't hold up - how many people actually bothered with holocrons when it told them to go master Chef? And of those that did, how many didn't have at least one nervous breakdown during the grind?

Old-style MMOs largely got phased out for a reason; their main mechanical descendants are gacha games now, and thank god for that.

I got told to do Tailor and I remember thinking "Well, I'd like something to do that would improve my character, but having to drop a bunch of the combat skills I spent all this time grinding out doesn't sound like fun." I didn't want to stop being Han Solo and be a Jedi, I wanted to be a better Han Solo. I think that's the wall SWG would have hit regardless of the implementation of holocrons, or any other disastrous revamps.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I played 9dragons briefly not long after release in the US. I wasn't aware of the fast leveling technique, so when I hit the wall at some mid level point I gave up.

It had the weirdest grind mechanic though. Every few levels you would unlock a new technique, which was like a new autoattack? But each technique had their own xp, so if you wanted the technique with a higher dps potential, you had to start over at a much lower dps threshold. Trying to get the latest one to be relevant to your level was a chore and I think I stuck with some mid-tier technique out of frustration. I never got to the end game so it didn't matter, but what a bastard that was.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
The funny thing was that the technique grind wasn't just limited to the attacks either. Buffs and heals also had an xp counter. Those usually weren't outclassed once you hit the "core" set, but this was counteracted by their xp per cast rate being extremely awful and getting worse with each level. Some classes could live without these being super top tier, but for Healers especially these were the core mechanics of their class. Well, you could sort of function with just the normal xp rate accumulation for those skills, but it really sucked. So if you were a Healer (and to a lesser extent a Hybrid, which was the jack of all trades class that sort of shared all of their problems), you would have to buy XP boost books. These were bought from faction NPCs, although there were better versions from rare drops that might or might not have been faction specific depending on the drop, and you would save them for double experience hours on the weekends and then spend hours repeatedly casting buffs over and over again to hit max level.

Some of this could be negated via an autoclicker/trainer, but the casts also used an energy system, so you had to account for the fact that your character would have to stop and meditate for a few minutes every so often. And then on top of that, once the buffs got to a new level, they would use more energy and drain the bar faster so your autoclicker would be thrown out of whack anyway.

On top of all of this, there were extra levels to all skills that could only be unlocked via secret books. But unlocking the higher levels just gave you the opportunity to grind to them... at even worse xp rates than before.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 15, 2021

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
There's a recent review of the game and wow it's really gone to poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aBOcmRJJrA

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Itzena posted:

This thread makes more sense if you apply Betteridge's Law of Headlines to its title.
There's no question mark.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
A new Lord of the Rings MMO, but the combat is just speed typing.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Gondor’s Beacon Teaches Typing

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Regular MMO, Elves are OP mechanically but UI and chat is enforced elvish only

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
all the furries hang at Beorns cabin

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Just got an email about this game: https://codex.corppor.com/ (how are all these companies getting my email address...)

Based on the name of the developer, Corp Por, I imagine it's going to be a lot like UO. Open signups for the "prologue" (beta?) starting August 19.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kedo posted:

Just got an email about this game: https://codex.corppor.com/ (how are all these companies getting my email address...)

Based on the name of the developer, Corp Por, I imagine it's going to be a lot like UO. Open signups for the "prologue" (beta?) starting August 19.

you probably purchased Shards / Legends of Aria. Codex is running on that engine

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm only half-joking, that's kind of a hype way to do it.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Kaysette posted:

:emptyquote:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kaysette posted:

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Support classes are always force multipliers so they are necessary if they exist, I think the problem is when you are having to wait for 3 to fill a group. Like a FFXI group is 3 supports required for most content in a 6 person group. That is not including a healer or a tank. So you just get this dynamic where nobody gets to play what they actually want to play.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ort posted:

Support classes are always force multipliers so they are necessary if they exist, I think the problem is when you are having to wait for 3 to fill a group. Like a FFXI group is 3 supports required for most content in a 6 person group. That is not including a healer or a tank. So you just get this dynamic where nobody gets to play what they actually want to play.

It's also that support classes tend to be the more social classes, since the role attracts team players a lot more, and the LFG grind of silent randos running dungeons that makes up most of a healer's life are counter to that.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The thread and especially the WoW>FF14 players might like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u1oXhiHJM0

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 21, 2021

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
There will never be a good MMO ever again.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

There will never be a good MMO ever again.

Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaRbQHlegaM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

If my Dokkaebi can't be a a member of the 707th SMB counterterrorist squad equipped with a slug-throwing shotgun and a device used to hack enemy security and recon cameras, it's gonna be a hard pass for me