Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Cerebral Bore posted:

shitlib to ethnic segregationist pipleline still going strong i see

been like that for a while. Remember when liz warren took a dna test?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
pow wow chow

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

I'm Filipino, but I came to the UK when I was 7, so I've pretty much diluted my ethnic background. However, I kind of feel apprehensive (to say the least) about Filipinos immigrating here because non-Westerners are generally socially conservative, especially when it comes to sex. I don't have a problem with kids coming here since they still have plenty of time to assimilate into Western society like me. However, the Filipinos who grew up in the Philippines are more than capable of stymieing the legislation of progressive policies here, considering how fanatically religious most of them are -- especially older folks. It's too late for them to change because they've already been thoroughly socialized.

I think a major part of the recent rise of right-wing populism in the US and across Europe isn't completely unwarranted because collectivism is part and parcel of Asian culture and Islam, which is fundamentally antithetical to individual freedom. Secular democracies are in danger of being compromised by theocratic, paternalistic sentiments. No one ever wants to move to countries in Asia or the Middle East. Everyone wants to live in the West.

With all due respect, I just don't want these conservative assholes imposing their values or religion on me.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
wowie

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i wanted to, and did, move from the west to asia

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Westerners very concerned that if people move somewhere they will impose their values and religion FOR SOME REASON.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Don't put words in my mouth. I'd be willing to help facilitate the immigration of foreigners into this country as long as they don't make efforts to strip other people of their individual freedoms by imposing their backwards mentality on society.

My concern is that religious bigots, who are usually older Filipinos, are going to use the levers of government to undermine things like same-sex marriage, contraception, cohabitation, etc. once they gain a large enough voting bloc here.

The Philippines is a de facto theocracy after all. Superstition is like heroin for a lot of Filipinos.

quote:

What I meant was social conservatism. You can be socially liberal, yet politically conservative. For example, budgetary cuts on social programs are implemented for pragmatic reasons more so than moral or ideological reasons.

In principle, there aren't really any good reasons to oppose things like same-sex marriage, atheism, etc. since people should be able to live their lives however they wish in a free society. What people in non-Western countries have a tendency to do is to legislate morality when that's subjective.

It's the 21st century, and the fact that Christianity is part of political discourse in the Philippines is something I fear may be exported to other Western countries through immigration.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

fart simpson posted:

i wanted to, and did, move from the west to asia

Ok sexpat :rolleyes:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Moving from anywhere to anywhere else is colonialism

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

When you move to another country that's being a sexpatriate. When you never leave your country that's sexpatriotic.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

Moving from anywhere to anywhere else is colonialism

displacing rural white people from what used to be rural areas near seattle

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
That was a lukewarm take at best. I work with a lot of immigrants, they are probably half of my department, and I see this attitude from a lot of 2nd gen immigrants or those who arrived as children.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Skeleton King posted:

I assume the vast majority of Americans also suffer from this.

You assume correct

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/NewStatesman/status/1425373952415780867?s=20

https://twitter.com/ODNIgov/status/1421132209348648981?s=20

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Yes human extinction would be good for the planet. Bad for people though, and that deserves some consideration.

Edit: wait I read the article. This guy is a bona fide sociopath.

I'm the question mark at the end?

exmachina has issued a correction as of 12:05 on Aug 11, 2021

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Antinatalism is the only reasonable conclusion, especially because it's utopia will come true

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

tokin opposition posted:

Antinatalism is the only reasonable conclusion, especially because it's utopia will come true

Yeah if only goons had an average amount of sex it would be an inevitability

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

exmachina posted:

You sure post in cspam a lot for someone who's never heard a crack nor a ping buddy

Serf
May 5, 2011

weirdly, my sister-in-law says the same thing. she's indian and she will go on and on about how america is great because she can wear shorts and drink a beer in public without being ostracized from society over it. she only wants young indians moving here because she claims the older generations are too conservative.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
https://twitter.com/EmmaVigeland/status/1425252270896304129

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Serf posted:

weirdly, my sister-in-law says the same thing. she's indian and she will go on and on about how america is great because she can wear shorts and drink a beer in public without being ostracized from society over it. she only wants young indians moving here because she claims the older generations are too conservative.

I think it's basically a similar deal to like, finally escaping living with chuds and really not wanting to go back to them having power over you again.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

exmachina posted:

goons have an amount of average sex

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

quote:

I'm not saying [Norway] should stop extracting oil. On the contrary. I have suggested a doubling. The fact that we are on the podium in terms of emissions today gives us a lot of money, power and freedom. But there is room for more. If we sell twice as much as Kuwait and the Emirates, we will be able to produce or buy twice as many weapons and thus create democracy around the world with double strength.

Google translate of a person I encountered in the wild today. I'm hoping it's a bit, but if that's the case then they're really committed to it.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's the 21st century, and the fact that Christianity is part of political discourse in the Philippines is something I fear may be exported to other Western countries through immigration.

Immigrating to the country where god has commanded the invasion of iraq through Tony Blair to escape religious influence

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bot 02 posted:

Google translate of a person I encountered in the wild today. I'm hoping it's a bit, but if that's the case then they're really committed to it.
I am pretty sure I've seen more than one Norwegoon argue that Norway extraction oil is a net good, so I'd be surprised if someone in the wild did that as a bit.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the best thing you can say about norway is that at least they're not denmark

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

https://twitter.com/avaluvsrice/status/1424774239836585990?s=21

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

This is obviously racial hokum, but one of the interesting recent advances in our understanding of hominid evolution, thanks to techniques in extracting older and older DNA, is how much genetic mingling the various species of the genus Homo got up to. Certain populations in Tibet (population is not ethnicity) have a bigger percentage of their genetic heritage come from Devosionians than the rest of humanity outside of Papua New Guinea/Australia. Most of the extant Devo genes are related to better fitness at high altitudes.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

There was a pretty funny period from the relatively short lived Tibetan Empire where they had conquered their way down into the Bengal valley. Imagine highland people moving down from the highest terrain in the world to one of the world's most hot and humid regions. Getting swamp rear end in their lamellar armor while sweat pooled in their boots. Needless to say, they didn't last long.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1425073207531524097

selec
Sep 6, 2003

ice chewing psychos who try to minmax every part of their lives need to be shoved back into their lockers

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

finally a solution to climate change

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I love this genre of journalism where everything ELSE is a climate change driver except for the things that really are

take THAT, wood-fired stoves in Africa and in-door cannabis operations that take up 1% of America's energy use!!!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

I love this genre of journalism where everything ELSE is a climate change driver except for the things that really are

take THAT, wood-fired stoves in Africa and in-door cannabis operations that take up 1% of America's energy use!!!

Who needs dictionaries anymore when you have libs

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The more weed I smoke the sooner society collapses and we all die? Hell yeah I'm doing my part

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

https://twitter.com/queeralamode/status/1425507569674506246

Jesus chriiiiiiiiiiist

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

this is a level 10 madness rune