Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
:doh:

Maybe by the end of the year we'll have had Fury/Wilder and Usyk/Joshua.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Truly we are living in a wondrous age

https://twitter.com/guicruzzz/status/1425479363068403713

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:sickos: :ortiz:

Tito is going to loving die. The best Tito Ortiz that ever fought, full of the best steroids that money could buy, wouldn't be able to hold a candle to even today's geriatric Anderson Silva in a boxing match.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I, of course Tito, want to shout out call out to all our wonderful mens and womens who suffer in the armed forces and lived through 9/11 and the terrorism. Never forget.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1425540041732984838?s=19

Goddamn did we pick the wrong card to go.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

What a way to honour the 20th anniversary of 911

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jose posted:

What a way to honour the 20th anniversary of 911

It nudges me to want Tito to win just for the post fight win speech

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

omg yes

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Silva did look good in his boxing match, but on the other hand Ortiz is a larger, pumped up brawler who's probably going to be less gunshy than Chavez, Jr. So who knows.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

LLCoolJD posted:

Silva did look good in his boxing match, but on the other hand Ortiz is a larger, pumped up brawler who's probably going to be less gunshy than Chavez, Jr. So who knows.

Anderson vs Tito on the feet is a dream fight for Anderson if he can still counterpunch, which I think he can. I can't wait for this.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LLCoolJD posted:

Tito split with Forrest Griffin (most recently losing).

Forrest Griffin talking about fighting Anderson Silva (who embarrassed him standing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1R50LpFh_M

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

LLCoolJD posted:

He’s not really bigger, just fatter. Anderson had no problems at 205 and is the same height with a bigger wingspan. He’s also a terrible boxer and far more washed than Silva, who is pretty loving washed. There’s no way

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Got a lot of interest in the guy that ducked a boxing match with Dana White going up against Anderson Silva

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm seeing a fair amount of talk online from people who think Spence's eye injury might be fake. Among them is Bernard Hopkins:
https://www.boxingscene.com/bernard-hopkins-suspicious-skeptical-errol-spences-eye-injury--159835

quote:

"The only thing I can do is listen to what you said to me and listen to what I heard. That’s conversation and I don’t know if it’s true, if it’s not true. I like Spence, I respect Spence. I know he is always ready for any challenge. I just think … I just have some suspicions about this whole thing. I just think the way it manifested and came out suddenly and so fast … I’ll just say stay tuned. If you hear something other than what everyone was given and what was told. I think there is more to the story than what it is. But if it is true, I wish him a speedy recovery. But I just have to say that first because I want to be the first one that people say, ‘what did I know that everybody else didn’t first know’ or ‘what did I know that a few people did know but nobody was bold enough or brave enough to say it,’” Hopkins told both Little Giant Boxing and KO Artist Sports.

"Again, if it’s the case then I think we all should see it. It can be an eye issue. It can be business. It could be lack of. The whole thing … it’s been told and most people probably will believe it. Most people won’t dare to question it or ask for more details. I’m the type of person, I’ll show the X-ray to the world. If I’m ready to fight, I’ll say ‘look, it’s a hairline fracture or it’s a straight cut-through broken bone,’” said Hopkins.

“When it's … and let me tell you something; a detached retina or a slightly detached retina is no joke. You gotta take that seriously. Nobody wants to play and say they have something and don’t have it. It's like someone saying they got cancer and they don’t have it. So, I’m just saying, I’m always suspicious about things coming out of nowhere. And I know most people are gullible. They will eat it and they will take it and repeat it. I don’t repeat anything … I’m conscious of repeating anything that I don’t have more to it and I got other questions or I got other reasons to think different.

"I’ll say, if it is the case, I wish Errol Spence a speedy recovery. I think he’s a future Hall of Famer and is getting bad deals (injuries) if that’s the case on that issue. If it’s something else, then someone else will reveal it. If not, then it will go away and hopefully they will reschedule. But it’s nothing to play with.”

Now granted this kind of talk always happens in boxing, people were saying similar things about Tyson Fury's COVID test earlier. I'm usually of a mind to take fighters at their word when they report injuries both inside and outside the ring. It's a pretty serious accusation to suggest a fighter might be faking something to get out of a fight. Hopkins even compares it to the idea someone would lie about getting cancer. But Bernard Hopkins isn't just some guy, and for him to make a suggestion like this or even address it publicly is pretty big and deserves some consideration.

We know almost nothing about the circumstances of Spence's injury, including how it happened (in sparring?), when exactly his team found out about it or how long they knew about it before alerting the public. Unlike Fury's COVID test popping months before his bout, Spence's injury report came about at the very tail end of his training camp, when his team would have a good idea of how he'll look in the event. Stories out of the Pacquaio camp all make it sound like he's destroying guys in sparring, whereas for Spence to even get an injury like this suggests he was getting tagged up. I've heard some talk about how the event promotion was concerned about competition with Jake Paul's event the following week leading to Pac-Spence underperforming. On top of all this you have Yordenis Ugas set on the undercard, the guy whose belt was taken from Pacquiao... and it turns out his scheduled opponent also got injured in a late sparring session at the exact same time as Spence. How convenient!

This may just be my saltiness that the megafight I paid big money on tickets and travel to see in person turned overnight into more or less a mandatory title defense type match I would have streamed illegally, and too late for me to alter plans or cancel. But it does look a lot to me like an orchestrated bait-and-switch. Maybe Spence (or his handlers) weren't feeling so hot about his chances at cashing in on Pacquiao after all, and didn't want to lose that precious zero to a 42-year-old on the verge of retirement. Maybe they liked the idea of fighting Manny a few months from now and with some distance from that Paul card, perhaps after softening Manny up against a scrappy technical Cuban guy nobody seems eager to fight. Ugas was training for a fight, but who's to say the fighter he was training for was actually Fabian Maidana and not Manny Pacquiao? This is supposedly the third fight in Manny's three-fight deal with PBC and the last time Manny parted ways with a promoter it didn't go great for him. It seems to me the stars are aligned for another Jeff Horn situation. Maybe the fix is in.

Or uh, maybe Spence has a torn retina and his team was lucky to catch it, and the event was also lucky to have Ugas so readily available to fill in as a world-class foe for Manny! In which case, I hope Spence has a speedy recovery... but not too speedy, lest it start looking like he really is ducking Old Man Pacquiao.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

Or uh, maybe Spence has a torn retina and his team was lucky to catch it

Fighting is obviously a huge factor in detached retinas, but it doesn't have to separate right after a punch -- it could go any time. And if it's bad, you'll know from your vision being blocked in that eye.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
It's pretty clear that Spence does not have a torn retina and is merely doing this to spite us personally but there isn't really anything we can do at this point other than try to live our best lives next week :shrug:

Edit:And enjoy the pretty loaded high level boxing tonight. Andrew Maloney-Joshua Franco 3 on ESPN, Vergil Ortiz-Mean Machine on DAZN and Casimerio-Rigo on Showtime.

Edit 2: Jake Paul vs Tyron Woodley having any impact on the numbers of Manny Pacquiao fight business is just nuts to think about but at this point really is absolutely a consideration one must bear in mind.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 14, 2021

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Guillermo Rigondeaux is an interesting guy

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Jump King posted:

Guillermo Rigondeaux is an interesting guy

Wish I could say that exact sentence about his fights.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I had to double check Canelo's and his kids' ages.

He's 31.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hah, he named his daughter Cinnamon.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just finished Oscar Dela Hoya's career. Since I'd already done this with Pacquiao, it was a little disorienting, almost surreal, to see the final fight again, which is the same thing that happened to me in Jones vs Toney.

Oscar was very good! He had a great jab and lead hook, but his right hand wasn't bad, even though commentators would say it was until he hurt someone with it again and that cycle was repeated at least three times in ten years. He could box, he could punch, he could fight moving both forwards and backwards, and he was a very smart fighter. In one fight he obviously disregarded his trainer-of-the-day and figured out his own successful game plan against a tough opponent. Any time he was up on his toes and moving he was superb.

In his last fight I don't know much was him actually being too old and how much was his long atrophied passion for being a prize fighter; his reflexes were bad but that could have been ring rust as much as age.

Edit: when I say that his right wasn't bad, he could (until his final fight) throw it when it was there and, while it wasn't his Sunday punch, it could still punish and even hurt the opponent. It wasn't like it was a punch that missing from his repertoire, it just wasn't his best.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 16, 2021

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Jack B Nimble posted:

he could (until his final fight) throw it when it was there

see this to me is all a punch needs to be: something an opponent respects enough to not want to carelessly walk through. floyd was never a power puncher but all his punches had 'respect pls' written all over them

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Young Oscar was a beast. Could box, punch, had great reflexes, speed, chin, heart - everything. Felt like he kind of lost focus after he "lost" to Trinidad and never really regained it fully. After that fight, he recorded and released a latin pop music CD, started having his personal problems first made public in a palimony suit, and hired Floyd Sr to be his trainer, who kind of hosed up his style in my opinion.

Ideally Oscar would have stuck with the same trainer his whole career, fought regularly, and lived in the gym, but he had so much fame, money and pussy thrown at him back then that it would be impossible for anyone to stay a hungry gym rat. As it was, he was a top 5 fighter of the 1990s along with Roy Jones Jr, Lennox Lewis, Pernell Whitaker, and Ricardo Lopez.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
He was very, very impressive when I watched him. I don't think anyone at my Jiujitsu gym really appreciates how good he was, because last night I brought up his upcoming fight against Vitor Belfort and they all thought Vitor was going to eat him alive because of PEDs. I dunno man, Oscar was really good.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Who is on the Ugas upset train for this one?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Jump King posted:

Who is on the Ugas upset train for this one?

He's younger and taller but this is Pacquiao so I can't pick the upset.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Myself, SituAsian, jump king and Mr. f! are heading over to T-Mobile now. I've got a bet on Manny KO 10-12 at 9/1 odds, Jump King betting on an Ortiz KO and SituAsian has a spread of bets (Pac KO, Ugas decision, won't go 11 rounds and some money on the draw).

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mr. F’s big bets were all at the poker table

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Section 222 15 represent

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Jump King posted:

Mr. F’s big bets were all at the poker table

Well actually I lost the 100 I was gonna bet on the fight at the blackjack tables lol

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

But also I decided not to bet on the fight, it seemed like it was going to be closer than people expected. But now we’re in the arena I kinda wish I bet on manny lol

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

Myself, SituAsian, jump king and Mr. f! are heading over to T-Mobile now.

Cool :cheers: I hope it's a good show.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

LLCoolJD posted:

Cool :cheers: I hope it's a good show.

We have amazing seats. We got upgraded and now we’re in section 15

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

More importantly we have wifi

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Seriously though we're maybe 20 rows off the ground here. From what I can tell every seat in the house at T-Mobile is good, our original seats were already awesome.

Before:

After:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Been to T Mobile Arena 3 times for UFC sat in wildly different spots. Don't think there is a bad spot

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Digital Jedi posted:

Been to T Mobile Arena 3 times for UFC sat in wildly different spots. Don't think there is a bad spot

Yeah a great arena for surw

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mr. F! posted:

Yeah a great arena for surw

Surw

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Digital Jedi posted:

eventually I want to go see the Blues play VGK there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Why are Victor Ortiz and Robert Guerrero fighting in 2021.